PDA

View Full Version : The Atmosphere Last Night.

Thecat23
17-02-2016, 12:14 PM
There has been much debate about how good the atmosphere was at the Athens game a few years ago, (I missed it as I was away on hol) I was wondering did last night top that game?

For me I've never seen such raw emotion before, during and after a game at ER in my life. The place was rocking and when Cummings scored the roof was just about blown clean off.

It really shows what this club is all about and when needed the fans will always back the boys.

bigwheel
17-02-2016, 12:15 PM
There has been much debate about how good the atmosphere was at the Athens game a few years ago, (I missed it as I was away on hol) I was wondering did last night top that game?

For me I've never seen such raw emotion before, during and after a game at ER in my life. The place was rocking and when Cummings scored the roof was just about blown clean off.

It really shows what this club is all about and when needed the fans will always back the boys.

No Cat, to me it was still nowhere near the very special night of AEK...that said, it was fantastic, and shows what sort of special backing a good team can have at ER...Fans were superb.

Monts
17-02-2016, 12:16 PM
The goals, the celebrations and the laughing at the yams disallowed goals were great, but I felt there were patches in the match where it felt quite flat, and towards the end the nerves were creeping in.

A great night, but AEK still tops it for me.

CentreLine
17-02-2016, 12:16 PM
No Cat, to me it was still nowhere near the very special night of AEK...hat said, it was fantastic, and shows what sort of special backing a good team can have at ER...Fans were superb.

:agree:

Thecat23
17-02-2016, 12:17 PM
No Cat, to me it was still nowhere near the very special night of AEK...hat said, it was fantastic, and shows what sort of special backing a good team can have at ER...Fans were superb.

Really wished I never went on that hol now haha.

Franck Stanton
17-02-2016, 12:17 PM
Atmosphere last night was good, against AEK it was, well, fantastic, different class.

marinello59
17-02-2016, 12:20 PM
Atmosphere last night was good, against AEK it was, well, fantastic, different class.

In ten years time last nights atmosphere may make it up through the grades to different class.:greengrin

SeanWilson
17-02-2016, 12:20 PM

absolutely nowhere near it mate... The SOL at half time during the AEK game was incredible... when luna scored that goal to equalise, the place went absolutely F'n mental

Thecat23
17-02-2016, 12:22 PM
absolutely nowhere near it mate... The SOL at half time during the AEK game was incredible... when luna scored that goal to equalise, the place went absolutely F'n mental

I've instantly regretted starting this now as I'm gutted I wasn't there 😩😩

TAHibby
17-02-2016, 12:22 PM
It was great but thought it was quite tense for long stretches after the euphoric moment came so early on

SeanWilson
17-02-2016, 12:24 PM
also - skip to 3.35 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz2FkQlAkdk:thumbsup::thumbsup:

DH1875
17-02-2016, 12:26 PM

Nowhere near it and while the atmosphere was good last night I've been in a lot better following hibs (admittedly most of them were away from ER).

Geo_1875
Definitely quiet periods towards the end when tension took over.

However, a couple of times in the East the stand was moving.

70KevinHFC62
I thought it was a great atmosphere last night, certainly one of the best if not the best since the new stand. It was the most positive I have felt easter road. There was a few grumbles with oxleys kicking at the end but nothing else apart from supporting the club

Thecat23
17-02-2016, 12:27 PM
also - skip to 3.35 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz2FkQlAkdk:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Loved him when he was here mate. Great strike!

duffers
17-02-2016, 12:29 PM
Could almost hear the tension between the 60-80 minute mark. That's when the fans needed to get behind the team.

WHAM
17-02-2016, 12:32 PM
The goals, the celebrations and the laughing at the yams disallowed goals were great, but I felt there were patches in the match where it felt quite flat, and towards the end the nerves were creeping in.

Agree with this. Atmosphere was good 1st half and at the end, but fell pretty quiet during the second half as the nerves set in.

As mentioned by someone on another thread last week, it would be good to hear some of the more traditional Hibs tunes getting belted out again more often along with the newer tunes.

For example, "we hate Glasgow Rangers, we hate Celtic too" is never heard these days. "We are Hibernian fc" is not sung as much either. These songs have a bit of aggression in them which the newer songs don't match IMO.

Just an observation but I'm sure the full repertoire will be out again soon.

Ggtth

IrnBru22
17-02-2016, 12:34 PM
The rangers play-off game last season was a better atmosphere than last night

Nakedmanoncrack
17-02-2016, 12:40 PM
Great night, but I thought atmosphere was a bit flat to be honest, the tension clearly getting to everyone in the second half.

The_Horde
17-02-2016, 12:46 PM
Great night, but I thought atmosphere was a bit flat to be honest, the tension clearly getting to everyone in the second half.

I thought the tension added to the atmosphere and raw emotion.

marinello59
17-02-2016, 12:49 PM
I thought the tension added to the atmosphere and raw emotion.

Of course it does, it's all part of it. It's what makes fitba the greatest form of entertainment there is.

WHAM
17-02-2016, 12:51 PM

Agree with this. Atmosphere was good 1st half and at the end, but fell pretty quiet during the second half as the nerves set in.

As mentioned by someone on another thread last week, it would be good to hear some of the more traditional Hibs tunes getting belted out again more often along with the newer tunes.

For example, "we hate Glasgow Rangers, we hate Celtic too" is never heard these days. "We are Hibernian fc" is not sung as much either. These songs have a bit of aggression in them which the newer songs don't match IMO.

Just an observation but I'm sure the full repertoire will be out again soon.

Ggtth

Dashing Bob S
17-02-2016, 12:53 PM
Nothing like AEK. That game was about reaching into our souls, channeling the enormous pride in our European heritage and letting the opposition and world know that we are Hibernian FC, and even though the odds are stacked against us, if you want to progress you will have to battle tooth and nail to do it.

For me the most hideous thing about the Fenlon era was not the Thomson and dodgy money assisted 1-5 final, but that horrendous home defeat by Malmo. That was a club that had totally lost all pride and sense of its self. Thank you AS and LD for bringing that back. We now have people who instinctively get what it means to be Hibs in charge.

Alex Trager
17-02-2016, 12:53 PM

I thought it was a bit flat too. From both sets of fans.

JimBHibees
17-02-2016, 12:58 PM

Was that not at full time just before extra time. I may be wrong right enough.

JimBHibees
17-02-2016, 12:59 PM
The rangers play-off game last season was a better atmosphere than last night

Disagree thought last night was far better.

JimBHibees
17-02-2016, 01:01 PM
Nothing like AEK. That game was about reaching into our souls, channeling the enormous pride in our European heritage and letting the opposition and world know that we are Hibernian FC, and even though the odds are stacked against us, if you want to progress you will have to battle tooth and nail to do it.

For me the most hideous thing about the Fenlon era was not the Thomson and dodgy money assisted 1-5 final, but that horrendous home defeat by Malmo. That was a club that had totally lost all pride and sense of its self. Thank you AS and LD for bringing that back. We now have people who instinctively get what it means to be Hibs in charge.

Agree especially on a night we were meant to be commemorating probably our greatest ever player.

SeanWilson
17-02-2016, 01:24 PM

you may well be wrong right :greengrin

JimBHibees
17-02-2016, 01:24 PM
you may well be wrong right :greengrin

Possibly both. :greengrin

Monts
17-02-2016, 01:43 PM

:agree:

Bishop Hibee
17-02-2016, 01:51 PM

No you're right. It became our anthem that evening.

Atmosphere was great last night but very tense in the second half. A second goal would have lifted the roof.

Andy74
17-02-2016, 01:53 PM

You can't compare the two and it is more about how European football has changed and the timing of us playing before a team is assembled against teams mid season. Circumstances on the night counted as well with a few 19 year olds playing.

If we had to play in Europe next year the same thing could happen even in the new set up.

We did lose 6 goals to Rangers after all before this league season started.

Thecat23
17-02-2016, 02:17 PM
You can't compare the two and it is more about how European football has changed and the timing of us playing before a team is assembled against teams mid season. Circumstances on the night counted as well with a few 19 year olds playing.

If we had to play in Europe next year the same thing could happen even in the new set up.

We did lose 6 goals to Rangers after all before this league season started.

Without turning this into a Pat Fanlon thread there was zero team spirit and he brought in some horrific players that contributed to that defeat. I honestly think Hibs would never suffer a defeat in Europe like that under this management team.

Dashing Bob S
17-02-2016, 05:50 PM
Without turning this into a Pat Fanlon thread there was zero team spirit and he brought in some horrific players that contributed to that defeat. I honestly think Hibs would never suffer a defeat in Europe like that under this management team.

I agree, but also concede that Andy made a good point - which I had forgotten about.

Jdawg
17-02-2016, 09:44 PM
Brings the old discussion about atmosphere in the old and new east stand to a conclusion. I could only get a ticket in the FF last night, great atmosphere from the east and at times all 3 stands.

Barely a peep from the away end though.

algraydog
17-02-2016, 09:56 PM
Brings the old discussion about atmosphere in the old and new east stand to a conclusion. I could only get a ticket in the FF last night, great atmosphere from the east and at times all 3 stands.

Barely a peep from the away end though.

AEK and the 6-2 demolition of herts were the highlights of the last few years. Last night rekindled memories of those times though...onwards
:greengrin

Andy74
17-02-2016, 10:01 PM

Why did we lose 6 against Rangers then?

The_Horde
17-02-2016, 10:03 PM

Freak result without a full strength team. In fact, some of thr boys who played that day aren't even at Hibs just now.

Andy74
17-02-2016, 10:04 PM
Freak result without a full strength team. In fact, some of thr boys who played that day aren't even at Hibs just now.

Just like Malmo then which is rather my point.

erin go bragh
17-02-2016, 10:05 PM

You for real Andy . We finished that game with seven development players.
Petrofac joke cup .

GGTTH

Andy74
17-02-2016, 10:07 PM
You for real Andy . We finished that game with seven development players.
Petrofac joke cup .

GGTTH

Team v Malmo. Pretty much pre season mind.

01 Williams
04 Hanlon
06 McPake (Mullen - 24' )
23 Forster
07 Harris (Stanton - 75' )
10 Craig
16 Stevenson
20 Taiwo Booked (Robertson - 54' )
38 Thomson
09 Vine
19 Handling

A few guys in there who still aren't ready all played together.

GreenArmyyy!
17-02-2016, 10:12 PM
Team v Malmo. Pretty much pre season mind.

01 Williams
04 Hanlon
06 McPake (Mullen - 24' )
23 Forster
07 Harris (Stanton - 75' )
10 Craig
16 Stevenson
20 Taiwo Booked (Robertson - 54' )
38 Thomson
09 Vine
19 Handling

A few guys in there who still aren't ready all played together.

Christ that team was horrible 😥

Andy74
17-02-2016, 10:17 PM
Christ that team was horrible 😥

Indeed.

The one that lost to Rangers not quite so bad. So let's not pretend it couldn't happen again if we played a good European team preseason.

Hibernian

Formation: 3-5-2

01.Mark Oxley
04.Paul Hanlon
05.Liam Fontaine
23.Jordan Forster
02.David Gray
08.Fraser Fyvie
11.Samuel Stanton
16.Lewis Stevenson
48.Scott Martin
07.Dominique Malonga
35.Jason Cummings
Substitutes

10.Scott Allan
31.Antonio Reguero
33.Alexander Harris
42.Aaron Dunsmore
43.Calum Crane
44.Jordan Sinclair
49.Lewis Allan

Thecat23
17-02-2016, 11:10 PM
How the hell is this turned into a debate of Pat Fenlons honking, eye bleeding football in Europe, against The Rangers in a training cup that not one person actually wanted to play in?

Is Stubbs a better manager... YES
Is Stubbs more tactically aware... YES
Is this side better than Fenlons... YES
Is Stubbs the man to take us forward... YES.

We were pumped silly because of bad signings and bad management. Until this happens in Europe again then there is no argument it's guessing.

MWHIBBIES
18-02-2016, 12:56 AM
I wonder if everything good Stubbs has done will be forgotten/disregarded if he has bad times and resigns? Seems to happen a lot on here.

Greenworld
18-02-2016, 07:58 AM
Aek night was better I agree I doubt I will ever experience a night like it...

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

lucky
18-02-2016, 08:16 AM
AEK game had it all. A fight back from 0-2. The atmosphere of defiance after the attacks on the twin towers. The Greeks burning a US flag. The Hibs support kept cheering the team on. It was just a very special night. I remember the place dancing to "Hey baby" at half time. But Luna"s header right at the death which crept past the post for us to win it still annoys me. The AEK game was a carnival of fun where derbys have too much at stake to be enjoyed without tension