PDA

View Full Version : NHC Dundee United Statement

ElginHibbie
17-02-2016, 12:42 PM
http://dufc.co/news/statement-from-the-chairman/

"The current playing squad now have thirteen matches to preserve the Club’s premiership status and redeem their own professional reputations"

That's really going to help the club turn things around :rolleyes:

Beefster
17-02-2016, 12:47 PM
I presume that Thompson is starting to get some stick. Fair bit of buck-passing going on there. Maybe if Thompson wasn't incentivising his managers to sell players, they wouldn't be up **** creek without a paddle.

Onion
17-02-2016, 12:51 PM
DUFC are doomed. No amount of threats to players will make the slightest difference and the admission of mistake by Board in selling their best assets to Celtic looks like an effort to deflect any blame away from the Board onto the current playing staff. Pretty pathetic, really.

Billy Whizz
17-02-2016, 12:51 PM
It's a crazy league this year. Motherwell are 3 points off top 6, and 2 points off a play off position
United are down, no way back for them after that result last night

steakbake
17-02-2016, 12:52 PM
http://dufc.co/news/statement-from-the-chairman/

"The current playing squad now have thirteen matches to preserve the Club’s premiership status and redeem their own professional reputations"

That's really going to help the club turn things around :rolleyes:

To be fair, the new 1 up, 1 down and 1 playoff is a really good addition and benefits both the Premier league and the Championship. There's some big clubs involved in the end of season scrap. And of course, some brand new ones who are battling it out with teams of more pedigree and history.

I don't really know what a club should be saying outwardly to their fans and the wider footballing public if they're "anchored" to the bottom of the league in the way that they are. I think Utd are in free-fall and almost certainly will go down. I'm not sure whether this statement has been prompted by fan pressure or a need to simply say something... anything... to see if it will have any impact.

lucky
17-02-2016, 12:54 PM
They are further behind under Mixu than they were behind Jackie Mac jnr. Their signings have not worked out for them. Sold their best 3 players and went backwards rapidly. They are going down which means we must get up as they will be decent challengers next season.

Northernhibee
17-02-2016, 12:59 PM
Know a few United fans and feel for them, their chairman has decimated that club IMO

steakbake
17-02-2016, 01:00 PM
They are further behind under Mixu than they were behind Jackie Mac jnr. Their signings have not worked out for them. Sold their best 3 players and went backwards rapidly. They are going down which means we must get up as they will be decent challengers next season.

Amen to that. It's nice to be in the cup competitions and last night was sweet. But if we're still in this division next season, it won't feel like it has counted for much. We've just got to get it over the line this year.

Diclonius
17-02-2016, 01:07 PM
I'm sure the wind of change will be blowing through Tannadice soon or something.

greenginger
17-02-2016, 01:09 PM
Know a few United fans and feel for them, their chairman has decimated that club IMO

Yeah, but the seeds were no doubt sown by Potter.

Hope he still has the Jonah touch.

CraigHibee
17-02-2016, 01:12 PM
i can't see any way back for united, the trap door awaitens

AndyM_1875
17-02-2016, 01:22 PM
Stephen Thomson is right on one thing, Dundee United should not be at the bottom of the league, they are a big club with a budget that dwarfs Killie, Motherwell, Hamilton, Ross County & Inverness.
So all well and good from from him but he was the one who is responsible for

1) selling the spine of a top 6 side to Celtic
2) sacking Jackie McNamara in a grubby manner
3) handing Mixu the equivalent of a poker hand of 2s and 3s with a club in freefall
4) messing about trying to buy a club in Australia when he needed to be concentrating on his own club

When Dundee United are relegated, probably before the split, one man if he had any dignity should take responsibility and resign as chairman. But of course he won't, he'll blame Jackie McNamara and probably Mixu and then the players and then the fans.

Stephen "it wisnae me" Thomson.

BSEJVT
17-02-2016, 01:56 PM
The ultimate example of throwing everyone else under the bus

Thomson is an utter fanny

Ozyhibby
17-02-2016, 02:05 PM
Stephen Thomson is right on one thing, Dundee United should not be at the bottom of the league, they are a big club with a budget that dwarfs Killie, Motherwell, Hamilton, Ross County & Inverness.
So all well and good from from him but he was the one who is responsible for

1) selling the spine of a top 6 side to Celtic
2) sacking Jackie McNamara in a grubby manner
3) handing Mixu the equivalent of a poker hand of 2s and 3s with a club in freefall
4) messing about trying to buy a club in Australia when he needed to be concentrating on his own club

When Dundee United are relegated, probably before the split, one man if he had any dignity should take responsibility and resign as chairman. But of course he won't, he'll blame Jackie McNamara and probably Mixu and then the players and then the fans.

Stephen "it wisnae me" Thomson.

It's a story that is very familiar to us. [emoji26]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

since90plustwo
17-02-2016, 02:06 PM
In one sense you can understand why they sold their players. If a player wants to move onto a bigger club you can't stand in their way. The problem was the players he has replaced them with. Look at us. We lost our best player last year, had great recruitment in place and we are a better side now.

Their wage bill bust be absolutely outrageous. Players like Sinima Polgolle, who helped liverpool win the champions league and played for athletico madrid lets not forget, and Guy Demel, a former premier league player, must be absolutely bleeding them dry. Not to mention their goalkeeper must be on a fair bit

steakbake
17-02-2016, 02:13 PM

I was going to say the same.

ancient hibee
17-02-2016, 02:18 PM
What was it?

No greater love hath a man but he lays down his friends for his life.

bod
17-02-2016, 02:23 PM
Know a few United fans and feel for them, their chairman has decimated that
club IMO

I know a couple of Dundee fans & their lapping it up,dont think they realise the affect it'll have on their gate money with 2 sell out derbies yet

AndyM_1875
17-02-2016, 03:04 PM

At least Rod had the sense to step back and hand the running of the club to LD. All he does now is represent Hibs at the boring SFA committees and sign the accounts.

Thomson won't do that. His ego is too big.

JimBHibees
17-02-2016, 03:06 PM
What an atrocious statement that is. If he wanted to say that he should have done it in-house. Smacks of blaming the players for a situation that is largely his making.

JimBHibees
17-02-2016, 03:06 PM
What was it?

No greater love hath a man but he lays down his friends for his life.

:greengrin:top marks

HibsNutter
17-02-2016, 03:18 PM
I for one hope they get their act together and come straight back up, I'd totally lost interest in the Premier league of late and we could do with a genuine title race again as much as I hate Rangers, with Hibs, Aberdeen, Dundee United and even that lot having strong sides to bring some excitement back.

Pete
17-02-2016, 03:24 PM
What an atrocious statement that is. If he wanted to say that he should have done it in-house. Smacks of blaming the players for a situation that is largely his making.

We did this in-house and that hardly had the desired effect. It can go one of two ways I suppose and they have nothing to lose now as they are on the edge.
Hearts at Tannadice next and they will be a wounded beast.

givescotlandfreedom
17-02-2016, 03:30 PM
16128 long may they rot

Andy74
17-02-2016, 03:46 PM
In one sense you can understand why they sold their players. If a player wants to move onto a bigger club you can't stand in their way. The problem was the players he has replaced them with. Look at us. We lost our best player last year, had great recruitment in place and we are a better side now.

Their wage bill bust be absolutely outrageous. Players like Sinima Polgolle, who helped liverpool win the champions league and played for athletico madrid lets not forget, and Guy Demel, a former premier league player, must be absolutely bleeding them dry. Not to mention their goalkeeper must be on a fair bit

You take the gamble that you can bank the cash, use it develop the whole club long term and reinvest in younger talent that makes you more sustainably successful in the long term.

The problem is that in our leagues it just takes a wee blip whilst you are in the transition phase to get yourself into a very bad situation.

The decisions we made years ago have allowed us to have a stadium and training centre which are only now really benefitting us but in between we let the quality drop too much in the transition.

sambajustice
17-02-2016, 04:06 PM
Hopefully sink into oblivion!

SlickShoes
17-02-2016, 04:10 PM
Dundee UTD are the new Hibs, I have been telling a Dundee UTD fan at work this for the last year and half.

What Alan Stubbs and Leanne Dempster have done at hibs is nothing short of a miracle considering where we were when they took over. We still aren't back in the top yet either.

Dundee UTD will seriously struggle to get back up without some sort of drastic change/long term investment.

No one had any sympathy in the SPL for hibs when we completely mismanaged our way in to oblivion, so to any team doing the same, enjoy your adventure.

CallumLaidlaw
17-02-2016, 04:14 PM
Dundee UTD are the new Hibs, I have been telling a Dundee UTD fan at work this for the last year and half.

What Alan Stubbs and Leanne Dempster have done at hibs is nothing short of a miracle considering where we were when they took over. We still aren't back in the top yet either.

Dundee UTD will seriously struggle to get back up without some sort of drastic change/long term investment.

No one had any sympathy in the SPL for hibs when we completely mismanaged our way in to oblivion, so to any team doing the same, enjoy your adventure.

I said the same after we beat them 3-0 earlier in the season - that they reminded me of Hibs' downward spiral post 2007. Selling off all their best players and replacing them with inferior journeymen. The only difference is, it took us 7 years to get relegated after that spiral started, Dundee utd's fall from grace has been much quicker. To think 15 months ago, they were viewed as one of the most exciting teams in the country.

Rivers Cuomo
17-02-2016, 04:38 PM
No sympathy for them, know a few Utd fans and they utterly hate Hibs and weirdly have Hearts sympathies. They were absolutely creaming themselves when we went down under Butcher. Added to the Skacel shirt number incident I hope they plummet! Tinpot club with a horrible stadium and ideas well above their station. They will never, ever be as grand a club as the mighty Hibernian.

BSEJVT
17-02-2016, 04:40 PM
No sympathy for them, know a few Utd fans and they utterly hate Hibs and weirdly have Hearts sympathies. They were absolutely creaming themselves when we went down under Butcher. Added to the Skacel shirt number incident I hope they plummet! Tinpot club with a horrible stadium and ideas well above their station. They will never, ever be as grand a club as the mighty Hibernian.

Pretty fair summation although I don't have any Utd supporting acquaintances myself.

Smartie
17-02-2016, 04:47 PM

I don't really begrudge them that one tbh. I lived in Dundee for 9 years and developed a slight fondness for the "Albert Kidd" team when I was there.

Dundee have normal fans (like Hibs) who have been through the mill a bit over the years but stick by their team. United attract deluded muppets with ridiculous delusions of grandeur, a bit like the purple turds of West Edinburgh.

Onceinawhile
17-02-2016, 04:49 PM
If we had been picking up points in our cup games v premiership teams we'd be 1 point behind Dundee Utd who have played 25 games!

Cod Boy
17-02-2016, 04:51 PM
On a positive note they have a easy game on Saturday.

snooky
17-02-2016, 05:21 PM
We've got a very good team and I'm delighted however, I'm somewhat concerned that (assuming we finish second) our promotion hopes are all stacked on a pair of two two-legged fixtures (that's assuming we win the first one).

We've a hellava lot of playing to do before I will be able to rest easy.

monktonharp
17-02-2016, 05:35 PM
No sympathy for them, know a few Utd fans and they utterly hate Hibs and weirdly have Hearts sympathies. They were absolutely creaming themselves when we went down under Butcher. Added to the Skacel shirt number incident I hope they plummet! Tinpot club with a horrible stadium and ideas well above their station. They will never, ever be as grand a club as the mighty Hibernian.:agree:they also laughed us off the park, singing "we'll meet again, don't know where don't know when" when we lost a relegation match against them many years ago. no sympathy for them, and their fans.

Liberal Hibby
17-02-2016, 08:47 PM
If we had been picking up points in our cup games v premiership teams we'd be 1 point behind Dundee Utd who have played 25 games!

Indeed. We've beaten more SPL sides this season than they have.

WoreTheGreen
17-02-2016, 08:54 PM
Skatcel carry on they cant go down quick enough for me a club with no credability.sorryMixu

Rivers Cuomo
17-02-2016, 08:55 PM
:agree:they also laughed us off the park, singing "we'll meet again, don't know where don't know when" when we lost a relegation match against them many years ago. no sympathy for them, and their fans.

Pr*cks! Along with Livi they are one of the non standard rivals I despise.

Andy74
17-02-2016, 09:07 PM
Indeed. We've beaten more SPL sides this season than they have.

I think we are even.

Pretty Boy
17-02-2016, 09:12 PM
Never liked Dundee United.

Not at all unhappy to see them struggle although feel a bit sorry for big Mixu.

Diclonius
17-02-2016, 09:13 PM
No sympathy for them, know a few Utd fans and they utterly hate Hibs and weirdly have Hearts sympathies.

I have no idea where you got that from - I grew up near Dundee and know a fair few United fans - none of them have any time for Hearts at all (particularly during the Hartley/Pressley era). Would be sad to see them go down due to aforementioned friends, and also because if we're down with them we're in for another fight to get back up.

RoxburghHibs
17-02-2016, 09:16 PM
I have no idea where you got that from - I grew up near Dundee and know a fair few United fans - none of them have any time for Hearts at all (particularly during the Hartley/Pressley era). Would be sad to see them go down due to aforementioned friends, and also because if we're down with them we're in for another fight to get back up.

Have to say I know a couple of Dundee Utd fans and they dislike Hibs more than most clubs. The only reason I can gather is they look at Dundee Utd as being bigger than us and have a kind of rivalry.

I just don't see them as anywhere near as big a club as Hibs.

RoxburghHibs
17-02-2016, 09:17 PM
I think we are even.

They have only won 3 games we have 4 :flag:

Rivers Cuomo
17-02-2016, 09:23 PM

I get it from the fact that the Utd fans i happen to know have leanings towards Hearts and hate Hibs. Never said it was every single fan if you read my post.

Col2
17-02-2016, 09:43 PM
Forgot about he skacel thing at United.

How absolutely childish and unprofessional by the player to demand that number and by the club to allow it. Now that the dust has settled and that final is tarnished big time, what possessed that twat to want to do that?

United had no financial benefit so despite his denial, Houston the Jambo fud must have been OK with it while chuckling away like a school kid.

blackpoolhibs
17-02-2016, 09:52 PM

How absolutely childish and unprofessional by the player to demand that number and by the club to allow it. Now that the dust has settled and that final is tarnished big time, what possessed that twat to want to do that?

United had no financial benefit so despite his denial, Houston the Jambo fud must have been OK with it while chuckling away like a school kid.

:agree: Get down and stay down, then lets see how funny that is Dundee Hibs.

RoxburghHibs
17-02-2016, 09:56 PM
:agree:
Get down and stay down, then lets see how funny that is Dundee Hibs.

:agree::thumbsup:

17-02-2016, 09:58 PM
Sold all their best players and replaced with utter garbage, sacked the manager and now plummeted towards relegation - sounds familiar eh :rolleyes:

We've been playing in the championship all season and they were still one of the worst teams i've seen us play at ER this season. They were absolutely rotten that night, 3-0 didn't flatter us at all.

Andy74
17-02-2016, 09:58 PM
They have only won 3 games we have 4 :flag:

They've won 3 league games and a cup game.

Still, they have had 20 odd more opportunities!

17-02-2016, 09:59 PM

Houston gave it "aw i didny know what that number meant etc etc". Aye so ya never ya hearts fud :rolleyes:

Greencore
17-02-2016, 09:59 PM
The only thing I liked about Dundee United is that they shared the name Hibernian. That's where it ends.

Always preferred Dundee.

WHAM
17-02-2016, 10:28 PM
Have to say I know a couple of Dundee Utd fans and they dislike Hibs more than most clubs. The only reason I can gather is they look at Dundee Utd as being bigger than us and have a kind of rivalry.

I just don't see them as anywhere near as big a club as Hibs.

One of my mates, who is an Arab, told me years ago that Dundee Utd have hated Hibs since none other than Maurice Malpas received the 1st red card of his career against us late 90s. Haha. I think it's actually true though...checked the stats and he was sent off against us beginning of 97/98 season. What a strange reason to dislike another club.

I don't think they are particularly fond of us due to the Matty Jack incident either. Where he refused to give the ball back to them after they put it out for a throw due to an injury. We then went up the park,won a penalty and scored.

Waxy
17-02-2016, 11:32 PM
Strange lot. I remember the 80s when they had that very steep terracing, their fans used to jump about singing "one man went to mo, went to mo a meadow" weirdos.

RoxburghHibs
17-02-2016, 11:40 PM
One of my mates, who is an Arab, told me years ago that Dundee Utd have hated Hibs since none other than Maurice Malpas received the 1st red card of his career against us late 90s. Haha. I think it's actually true though...checked the stats and he was sent off against us beginning of 97/98 season. What a strange reason to dislike another club.

I don't think they are particularly fond of us due to the Matty Jack incident either. Where he refused to give the ball back to them after they put it out for a throw due to an injury. We then went up the park,won a penalty and scored.

Just a note on that incident. I unvailed my rather large Hibs.net flag that day, but more importantly that incident - the Dundee U player was at it and Hibs were 100% right not to give them the ball back. It was karma and a deserved 1-0 win(Latapy pen)

Fife-Hibee
18-02-2016, 07:27 AM
Never had the time of day for that club
( good luck on Saturday tho )