PDA

View Full Version : Running on Fumes

MB62
17-02-2016, 10:43 AM
Thought the last 15 - 20 minutes last night a good few of our guys were running close to empty. The effort they had put in during the game, but in the last few weeks in particular has been amazing, fantastic, incredible or however else you would like to describe it. They have given absolutely EVERYTHING last night and have done all season. It looked obvious that one team was well rested whilst the other one was feeling effects of the weekend in the snow and rain, but it was more than just Saturday, it has been 2 games a week for a good while now.

These lads deserve a wee rest and from what A.S. was saying, I think he has something similar in mind.

A big well done to all the players for not only their abilities but for the HUGE effort they continue to put in EVERY SINGLE GAME.

GGTTH

Pretty Boy
17-02-2016, 10:47 AM
Agree. We looked out on our feet at the end.

Reckon we will see a few changes on Sunday to freshen things up. Would expect Gray, Thomson and possibly Cummings to drop out for a rest.

Monts
17-02-2016, 10:49 AM

Reckon we will see a few changes on Sunday to freshen things up. Would expect Gray, Thomson and possibly Cummings to drop out for a rest.

Not sure Gray will drop out as I think Stevenson is suspended, so we might well have Gunnerson on the left.

CallumLaidlaw
17-02-2016, 10:50 AM

Yip, thomson was dead on his feet after 55 mins. I had said to my dad before the game that we wouldnt get more than an hour from him, which is fair enough - he wasn't brought in to play 90 minutes every week. Gunnarson will hopefully get a start, and maybe Carmichael.

hibee_girl
17-02-2016, 10:50 AM

Stevenson suspended for Sunday so he'll miss out too. I'd expect Bartley to be rested too, didn't Stubbs say when he signed he wouldn't be playing 2 games a week?

Smartie
17-02-2016, 10:52 AM
They are athletes who are at their peak physical fitness.

Stubbs has alluded to the fact that they're not doing much training at the moment - just playing the games and ticking over in between so I think they'll be ok.

I do think he could have done more with his subs in the past couple of games. Henderson looked dead on his feet for the last 20 minutes last night (great credit for him for continuing to run as he did), and you could have picked several more to come off long before the end.

I'd have liked to have seen some tactical subs on Saturday but I don't think anyone looked particularly knackered then.

We have a good, big squad though and there is nobody in it that I wouldn't be comfortable coming in and playing from the start. I'll be happy enough if he shakes it up a bit for the next 3 games, it's a tough old run of games but against some of the easier teams (maybe not Morton). I'd rather have a 100% fit fringe player playing out of his skin to earn a first team place than a first pick who is exhausted.

NAE NOOKIE
17-02-2016, 11:30 AM
Just after the Raith Rovers cup tie I said on another thread that taking that game as a starting point if we managed to get through the next 6 games successfully IMO it would be the best effort by a Hibs team in my 40 years watching them ....irrespective of what league we are in.

That 6 games turned into 8 because of the replay and the Livvi game before it. A criminal refereeing decision denied us a possible win at Falkirk, leaving the Livvi game as the only one where we could possibly say the team underperformed.

At the end of the day the result of these 8 games is:

The League ......... Some ground lost due to the Falkirk result.

The League Cup .... Into the final after beating our 3rd Premiership team on the way.

The Scottish Cup .... Into the quarter final after pulling back a 2 goal deficit at the worlds most intimidating football arena :greengrin followed by a gutsy display on a proper pitch in a proper football stadium.

What an utterly fantastic effort by everybody at Easter Road, blighted only by a drawn game in terrible conditions, no wonder so many of them looked knackered last night. If I was the mega rich owner of Hibs and they didn't have a game this weekend the whole lot of them would be on a jet right now along with their wives and families for a few days on my private Caribbean island.

Oh .... Our results against Premiership teams this season would have us 2nd bottom of the Premiership having played 20 games less than Dundee Utd :greengrin

hibbysam
17-02-2016, 11:35 AM
The one thing that caught my eye, was in the 90th minute, we get the ball, our holding midfielder Marv makes a lung busting run beyond there midfield, and in behind Mcghee, to take the ball into the corner. This is a player who suffers injury wise, after playing 3 games in 9 days, and in the last minute of a breathless football match.

These boys, wherever they take us this season, will fully deserve the rest that comes there way when the season ends. January was big, February has turned even bigger. Every month has massive games coming up, even Sunday against Alloa. Glad it is on Sunday though, an extra day for the players to recover. Hopefully see Boyle and Keatings get a few minutes, fresh legs and pace in abundance.

essexhibee
17-02-2016, 11:38 AM
Yip, thomson was dead on his feet after 55 mins. I had said to my dad before the game that we wouldnt get more than an hour from him, which is fair enough - he wasn't brought in to play 90 minutes every week. Gunnarson will hopefully get a start, and maybe Carmichael.

How did Thomson play generally?

CallumLaidlaw
17-02-2016, 11:40 AM
The one thing that caught my eye, was in the 90th minute, we get the ball, our holding midfielder Marv makes a lung busting run beyond there midfield, and in behind Mcghee, to take the ball into the corner. This is a player who suffers injury wise, after playing 3 games in 9 days, and in the last minute of a breathless football match.

These boys, wherever they take us this season, will fully deserve the rest that comes there way when the season ends. January was big, February has turned even bigger. Every month has massive games coming up, even Sunday against Alloa. Glad it is on Sunday though, an extra day for the players to recover. Hopefully see Boyle and Keatings get a few minutes, fresh legs and pace in abundance.

I really did think that was outstanding by big Marv. and then he calmly dealt with the next minute or so brilliantly. :top marks

CallumLaidlaw
17-02-2016, 11:42 AM

I thought he played very well in the first half. But as I say his legs visibly went at the start of the second half. I think in less demanding games, he'll give us 70 mins, and will obviously be a good option from the bench.

hibee_girl
17-02-2016, 11:42 AM

Really well, he got stuck in to them with great delight, made some excellent passes, defended well. I say all this as someone who doesn't even like him! :greengrin

He looked absolutely shattered towards 60 minutes though so taking him off then was the right decision.

Smartie
17-02-2016, 11:46 AM

If he doesn't kick another ball for us in this spell then he can leave with his head held high.

2 performances, just over 45 minutes each time. Tidy in possession, got a foot in here and there, ran himself into the ground and generally got stuck in.

I think he was mainly taken off last night because he was shattered but he'd been booked and was getting involved in a bit of argy-bargy here and there (as happens a lot in games involving Hearts). If he'd been left on much longer then I could have seen him getting himself sent off, a bit like Cummings.

We're going to have some big games over the next few months and he is a brilliant guy to have around. I really hope he manages to win the fans round this time as he has left us under a cloud twice.

MB62
17-02-2016, 11:52 AM

The more I see of big Marv, the more I like him, he is one quality player and would now be a starter for me every week.

SeanWilson
17-02-2016, 03:16 PM
After KT went off (he had to come off as he was blowing big time), I thought it was a huge ask for big Marv to keep up what he'd been doing for an hour or so... Then when MB began to struggle a bit with the pace, it was glaringly obvious that we had no one on the park or bench who could get there foot on the ball and calm us down. That needs addressed. Thank **** our defence stood up/they're pretty rubbish.

Pete
17-02-2016, 03:28 PM

:agree:

Time to shuffle the pack big time, I'm talking the majority of the starting eleven if possible.

No disrespect to Alloa but if there is one game we can do this it's surely at home to the bottom side. A rest does the players wonders and dome of them would really benefit from it.

CallumLaidlaw
17-02-2016, 03:32 PM
:agree:

Time to shuffle the pack big time, I'm talking the majority of the starting eleven if possible.

No disrespect to Alloa but if there is one game we can do this it's surely at home to the bottom side. A rest does the players wonders and dome of them would really benefit from it.

Especially as we go again just 3 days later. Really is gonna be a test of the players fitness levels the next couple of months.

southsider
17-02-2016, 03:39 PM
Hibs players are doing very little training. AS just keeps them ticking over as te games are coming thick and fast. Anyway, our players love to play wen on such a good run.

greenlex
17-02-2016, 03:46 PM
After KT went off (he had to come off as he was blowing big time), I thought it was a huge ask for big Marv to keep up what he'd been doing for an hour or so... Then when MB began to struggle a bit with the pace, it was glaringly obvious that we had no one on the park or bench who could get there foot on the ball and calm us down. That needs addressed. Thank **** our defence stood up/they're pretty rubbish. we e another two who can get their foot on the ball it's just they are both injured.

SeanWilson
17-02-2016, 03:55 PM
we e another two who can get their foot on the ball it's just they are both injured.

I am aware of that... my point was more around with DM and FF out the team, its a huge ask of MB to do that for 90 mins and i cant see KT seeing out a full hhigh pace 90 mins match. Hopefully we can rest a few on Sunday and have options come the Morton/Dumbarton

Jack
17-02-2016, 04:59 PM
I think the thought of having to play extra time was incentive enough for them not to concede :-)

emerald green
17-02-2016, 06:22 PM
The very suspicious postponement of HMFC's match on Saturday undoubtedly was to their advantage last night, especially in the second half. It's to the Hibs players credit that they still beat them.

147lothian
17-02-2016, 06:27 PM
The very suspicious postponement of HMFC's match on Saturday undoubtedly was to their advantage last night, especially in the second half. It's to the Hibs players credit that they still beat them.

Good point, its mental as well as physical tiredness!