PDA

View Full Version : Media Sportsound - SOL/Neilson, Stubbs & McGinn interviews/analysis/industrial football..

Carheenlea
17-02-2016, 08:43 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03jt4pg

I enjoyed listening to this podcast from immediate post match. Particularly liked Michael Stewart's "industrial football" description of "Robbie's" Hearts.

Spike Mandela
17-02-2016, 09:50 AM
What an articulate and intelligent interview from McGinn. What a pleasure it is to have a level headed, professional and clearly ambitious young player at our club.

JimBHibees
17-02-2016, 09:53 AM
Well worth a listen and good to hear that Stewart, Paterson and Gordon were actually watching the game and not coming out with absolute nonsense unlike Neilson. We dominated the game and dominated an hour of the first game what absolute levels of delusion. All of the Hibs goals were bad goals in the two games, dear oh dear. Read it and weep son of Potter.

Smartie
17-02-2016, 10:00 AM
I actually agree with Neilson that all of our goals were bad from their point of view.

Over the 2 games I thought we could have done better for Nicholson's goal but couldn't have done anything about Djoum's.

They put us under a fair bit of pressure in the second half yesterday and it'd great credit to our back four and especially Bartley that they didn't ever really look like scoring and that we didn't make the same kind of mistakes as they did.

I'd credit our defence more than belittle our goals if you know what I mean?

lyonhibs
17-02-2016, 10:05 AM
I actually agree with Neilson that all of our goals were bad from their point of view.

Over the 2 games I thought we could have done better for Nicholson's goal but couldn't have done anything about Djoum's.

They put us under a fair bit of pressure in the second half yesterday and it'd great credit to our back four and especially Bartley that they didn't ever really look like scoring and that we didn't make the same kind of mistakes as they did.

Eh??? You mean apart from Stevenson just leathering the ankle high ball away with his foot instead of doing some contortionist's act to scuff a header away?

Anyway, all in the past now and by all accounts LS has a great game yesterday but Djoum's goal was eminently avoidable.

JimBHibees
17-02-2016, 10:09 AM

Really? the goal yesterday was a great goal, flowing move and quality cross and finish. Cummings header in first game was again a terrific cross and finish. Maybe fair enough the Hanlon goal but good play by Hibs rather than poor Hearts play IMO.

CallumLaidlaw
17-02-2016, 10:15 AM
Eh??? You mean apart from Stevenson just leathering the ankle high ball away with his foot instead of doing some contortionist's act to scuff a header away?

Anyway, all in the past now and by all accounts LS has a great game yesterday but Djoum's goal was eminently avoidable.

I still think the wind had a lot to do with stevenson heading it, and there is no accounting for Djoum's finish.

theonlywayisup
17-02-2016, 10:23 AM
Well worth a listen and good to hear that Stewart, Paterson and Gordon were actually watching the game and not coming out with absolute nonsense unlike Neilson. We dominated the game and dominated an hour of the first game what absolute levels of delusion. All of the Hibs goals were bad goals in the two games, dear oh dear. Read it and weep son of Potter.

Neilson is a muppet! Any neutral will agree that Hibs deserved to win the tie. Let's look at the stats.

Possession: HMFC 46% HFC 54% first leg with this reversed in the second leg. We held on and didn't concede. They couldn't.

Shots: HMFC 7 + 9 = 16 HFC 13 + 9 = 22

Shots on target: HMFC 3 + 2 = 5 HFC 5 + 5 = 10

Corners: HMFC 2 + 5 = 7 HFC 8 + 7 = 15

Fouls: HMFC 22 + 16 = 38 HFC 9 + 12 = 21

Goals: HMFC 2 HFC 3

HMFC Losers HFC Winners

FACT

lyonhibs
17-02-2016, 10:28 AM
I still think the wind had a lot to do with stevenson heading it, and there is no accounting for Djoum's finish.

The latter I agree with. A great hit.

Whether the ball should have been presented to him on a silver platter 30 yards from goal would remain a point for discussion if we hadn't papped them out on their erses last night.

But we did, so no problemos :agree:

CallumLaidlaw
17-02-2016, 10:37 AM
Neilson is a muppet! Any neutral will agree that Hibs deserved to win the tie. Let's look at the stats.

Possession: HMFC 46% HFC 54% first leg with this reversed in the second leg. We held on and didn't concede. They couldn't.

HMFC Losers HFC Winners

FACT

:top marks

JimBHibees
17-02-2016, 10:40 AM

HMFC Losers HFC Winners

FACT

Superb. :aok:

HibeesLittleHel
17-02-2016, 10:40 AM
Just listening to the podcast now and have to shout out Michael Stewart for giving an honest and rational assessment of the match and the performance of both teams. "Industrial" a classic term! So apt for the boys in maroon.
Well said sir!
:thumbsup:

Smartie
17-02-2016, 11:21 AM

If you want to you can look at any goal and say it's avoidable. As is mentioned above, the conditions contributed to Lewis struggling to get more on it than he did - he's not normally a player who struggles to clear his lines.

When a player skelps it in off the inside off the post from that distance you have to hold up your hands and accept it's a decent goal. Yep, we might have closed it down better but that's not a goal where I primarily blame the defence.

Smartie
17-02-2016, 11:25 AM
Really? the goal yesterday was a great goal, flowing move and quality cross and finish. Cummings header in first game was again a terrific cross and finish. Maybe fair enough the Hanlon goal but good play by Hibs rather than poor Hearts play IMO.

It was - from our point of view a great goal.

But how did Gray manage to get into that much space twice in a minute or so? We managed to prevent them from getting into a position like that for 90 minutes.

The ball in was superb and right on Cummings' boot. But I often wonder if defenders in the 6 yard box can do more in those situations? Again, our defenders have done better than that on many occasions this season.

I'm not really trying to play down our attacking - more trying to big up the fact that over 2 games, against a big, physical side we managed to defend superbly well and as a result of that thoroughly deserved to go through.

ManBearPig
17-02-2016, 12:27 PM
Mike Stewart was spot on with his analysis

AndyM_1875
17-02-2016, 12:32 PM
Mike Stewart was spot on with his analysis

Michael Stewart is an excellent pundit. Utterly and often brutally honest in his summing up.
Would listen to his interpretation of a game any time before I'd listen to any Old Firm lackey who watches what they say in fear of offending either 'Ra Peepil' or 'TGITW'.

The_Horde
17-02-2016, 01:02 PM
Hearts were trying to force a mistake with long direct balls and whipped crosses.

Hibs were trying to create a goal. The usual, then. Sexy cavaliers vs the pub team

ancient hibee
17-02-2016, 01:35 PM

HMFC Losers HFC Winners

FACT

I think that the 2 on target last night were the 2 offsides because I have no recollection of Oxley making a single direct save-am I right?

JimBHibees
17-02-2016, 01:37 PM
I think that the 2 on target last night were the 2 offsides because I have no recollection of Oxley making a single direct save-am I right?

There were a couple I think soft header from Juanma and a shot from distance both of which Oxley could have thrown his cap on.