PDA

View Full Version : John Beaton and suspensions

Fergus52
16-02-2016, 11:22 PM
Thought the referee was woeful tonight.

Pallardo should have definitely been off and both the yellows for Augustyn and Cummings were very soft.

Cummings second yellow particularly annoyed me as he booked Juanma for complaining about not booking Cummings and then he changed his mind. One of the worst, most soft pieces of refereeing I've ever seen, and that's saying something in Scotland.

Who's all suspended for the Inverness game then? Someone said on the match thread that stokes was. Is Bartley as well? As he picked up a yellow today and at tynecastle. Would be a hard game to win without those three and Fyvie

LustForLeith
16-02-2016, 11:24 PM

Pallardo should have definitely been off and both the yellows for Augustyn and Cummings were very soft.

Cummings second yellow particularly annoyed me as he booked Juanma for complaining about not booking Cummings and then he changed his mind. One of the worst, most soft pieces of refereeing I've ever seen, and that's saying something in Scotland.

Who's all suspended for the Inverness game then? Someone said on the match thread that stokes was. Is Bartley as well? As he picked up a yellow today and at tynecastle. Would be a hard game to win without those three and Fyvie

According to SFA website Hanlon, Bartley, McGregor and stokes were all on a caution going into the game tonight.

Fergus52
16-02-2016, 11:27 PM
According to SFA website Hanlon, Bartley, McGregor and stokes were all on a caution going into the game tonight.

Hanlon got booked so that could be him suspended as well :(

KWJ
16-02-2016, 11:28 PM
So Hanlon, Bartley and Cummings out for ICT.

Ox

LS
LF
DM
DG

JM
FF
DM
LH

CD/MB
AS

Fergus52
16-02-2016, 11:30 PM

Ox

LS
LF
DM
DG

JM
FF
DM
LH

CD/MB
AS

Fyvie is likely to still be injured

cabbageandribs1875
16-02-2016, 11:34 PM
that win tonight could cost us, hopefully at least have Dylan back, caley will be a very hard game, even harder now, well done the referee in sending off cummings after consulting the hertz players

Borderhibbie76
16-02-2016, 11:34 PM
Stokes wasn't booked tonight was he??

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Onion
16-02-2016, 11:36 PM

The ref lost the plot in the last 30 mins. Neither of the sendings off were 2nd yellows, but the one he missed was a shocker. Terrible referee.

Col2
16-02-2016, 11:37 PM
We will still have a midfield of McGinn, Henderson, McGeoch to pick from and the likes of Thomson to fall back on if Fyvie not recovered.

Stokes will be fitter and we have options up front. Fonts to come in for Hanlon.

Would still back us given the spirit and character we have.

Col2
16-02-2016, 11:38 PM
Stokes wasn't booked tonight was he??

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

No.

Alfred E Newman
16-02-2016, 11:40 PM

Ox

LS
LF
DM
DG

JM
FF
DM
LH

CD/MB
AS
On the plus side, they will all be available for the final.

lord bunberry
He was absolutely dreadful. How he didn't send off the hearts player is beyond me and neither of the players he did send off should've been sent off. I also thought Bartley and Thomson didn't deserve to be booked, I thought Bartley had been fouled.

lucky
I thought the ref was ok bar not sending off their No.14. The sending offs were soft but correct. JC was stupid kicking the ball when it was clearly out of play and he was nearly in amongst the puddle drinkers when scored.

Scottie
16-02-2016, 11:44 PM
He was absolutely dreadful. How he didn't send off the hearts player is beyond me and neither of the players he did send off should've been sent off. I also thought Bartley and Thomson didn't deserve to be booked, I thought Bartley had been fouled.
The standard of Scottish referees is absolutely honking..

Take your pick

1 Wullie Collum
2 Craig Thomson
3 John Beaton

And they are meant to be our top three officials. :rolleyes:

SeanWilson
16-02-2016, 11:45 PM
The worst part of the night for me (ref wise) was when he gave hearts a free kick and booked Bartley for Bartley skinning the hearts boy (who I believe was already on a yellow but could have been given a straight red for completely taking Marv out). Was absolutely mental that the linesman and ref seen it go hearts way!?

lord bunberry
16-02-2016, 11:47 PM
The standard of Scottish referees is absolutely honking..

Take your pick

1 Wullie Collum
2 Craig Thomson
3 John Beaton

And they are meant to be our top three officials. :rolleyes:
All 3 of them are brutal, do we have any decent refs?

CentreLine
16-02-2016, 11:48 PM

Bartley incident happened right below our seats. He was very lucky not to be sent off IMHO. He jumped to avoid a tackle but I am convinced he could have avoided landing on the hearts player in what amounted to a stamp. Hearts number 14 was a stick on second yellow for me but JC and the hearts player sent off was very soft. But, my god, does Ox sail close to the wind with his time on the ball? Both sides could have finished this one with 8 or 9 men

Crammond Hibee
16-02-2016, 11:48 PM

I thought Bartley unlucky as he jumped over the guy.Thomson looked like a yellow to me though.I thought for a minute he was getting a red.

lord bunberry
16-02-2016, 11:50 PM
I thought Bartley unlucky as he jumped over the guy.Thomson looked like a yellow to me though.I thought for a minute he was getting a red.
The Thomson tackle looked like a strong fair tackle to me, but I may be a bit biased :greengrin

CentreLine
16-02-2016, 11:54 PM
The Thomson tackle looked like a strong fair tackle to me, but I may be a bit biased :greengrin

Looked like he got all of the ball. Should never have been booked IMO but the hearts player rolled about so much the referee was conned. Then couldn't get to his feet quick enough. I don't think their physio was on the park once. Which is incredible given the number of times theor players went down

Hibernia&Alba
17-02-2016, 12:02 AM

Ox

LS
LF
DM
DG

JM
FF
DM
LH

CD/MB
AS

They will be missed, especially Cummings of course. It's going to be a hard match against Inverness: one in which home advantage must be made to count.

Speedy
17-02-2016, 12:07 AM
My observations (admittedly from the ff upper)...

Bartley - should've been a throw in, did think at the time he must've gone in with an elbow or something that I didn't see (sounds like a stamp from previous post)
Thomson - got the ball, shirley either a good tackle or a red?
Augustyn - never a booking
Cummings - not a booking either but should know better

Salt N Sauzee
17-02-2016, 12:10 AM
John Cheaton...

Sorry

B.H.F.C
17-02-2016, 12:15 AM
Mental how little you get booked for in football these days. Cummings never made a tackle and got sent off. Although he was bloody stupid for the second yellow.

wookie70
17-02-2016, 12:22 AM
My observations (admittedly from the ff upper)...

Bartley - should've been a throw in, did think at the time he must've gone in with an elbow or something that I didn't see (sounds like a stamp from previous post)
Thomson - got the ball, shirley either a good tackle or a red?
Augustyn - never a booking
Cummings - not a booking either but should know better

Agree with that but I thought that Bartley jumped to avoid a shocking challenge that would have been a sending off for their man. No way was his a booking. My view from West upper directly above the incident. Really shocking decision. How their 14 stayed on the other two were reds I will never know.

hfc rd
17-02-2016, 12:28 AM
I thought the ref was woeful! Just as bad as the one on Saturday against Livi.

hibbytam
17-02-2016, 12:46 AM
A better ref doesn't send either player off, they were both very poor decisions. Yes the hearts player's bounced the ball in frustration, but a quiet word/final warning would have sufficed. And for JC, he's kicked the ball, but it's not like he's booted it miles from anywhere. And considering the similarly soft nature of his first card, a wee word to calm was all that was needed. Instead he lets the decision be made for him by a **** of hearts players trying to get someone sent off. Overall, poor game management, but it's what you expect from Scottish refs.

matty_f
17-02-2016, 12:51 AM
Awful ref, totally lost control of the game for a spell in the second half. Absurd decision not to book the boy for the foul on the touchline, then to get bullied into sending Cummings off was unforgivable.
Ironically, Cummings deserved a second booking - even though it was harsh (and he let Hearts away with kicking the ball away earlier in the game), but the ref wasn't interested in booking him again until those whining *******s piped up.
A stronger ref tells them to bolt.
Also thought Oxley's booking was pish - ref was swayed, imho, by the yam support and Oxley's previous.

KWJ
17-02-2016, 12:54 AM
Was watching the Bartley incident from the yams periscope right in front of it. Don't think Bartley meant to hurt the boy but he absolutely steamrollered him and went high, not nasty but definitely ugly.

****** love the Marv.

proud_and_green
17-02-2016, 01:05 AM
Surely if Marv stamped on the hertz player he should have been sent off....?

Therefore, as it was a yellow it was for a tackle not a stamp, in which case, granted from my East Stand POV, not a yellow as he jumped to avoid the tackle coming in.

KWJ
17-02-2016, 01:18 AM
Surely if Marv stamped on the hertz player he should have been sent off....?

Therefore, as it was a yellow it was for a tackle not a stamp, in which case, granted from my East Stand POV, not a yellow as he jumped to avoid the tackle coming in.

If it was a stamp it was in mid-air :greengrin He just flew into him awkwardly and being a big guy it looked pretty sore.

Pete
17-02-2016, 05:58 AM
By the letter of the law I think Jason had to go. He left the pitch to celebrate and he definitely kicked the ball away from a hearts goal kick or throw in. It looked like he went to get some advice from his assistant after hearts players moaned but why didn't the assistant flag initially for an offence?

The hearts boys second yellow was a joke as he was only passing the ball back with a bit of force.

I didn't see the Thomson tackle very well but from where I was it looked like he lunged in at speed. I thought he was going off and a yellow felt like a relief.

Bartley's was never a booking. He just tried to avoid contact!

He was letting them away with putting it about a bit as well. Arms round our players and sly shoves here and there were going unpunished.

In the lead up to the Hearts first offside goal two of their players were taken out. I'm surprised he never blew for a foul but they must have messed up their advantage by being offside. He could easily have booked one of our players though.

Must have been a tough game to referee but it looks like he lost it. Got to congratulate the two linesmen for spotting the offsides as that's the sort of thing that has been going against us in derbies recently.

Libby Hibby
17-02-2016, 06:07 AM
Do the rest of the yellows in previous rounds get zero'd from the quarters?

I know it was discussed at SFA level but not sure if implemented.

highland hibbee
17-02-2016, 06:11 AM
I'm offshore so had to listen to it on the radio. According to Mieky Stewart, Bartley tried to jump over their man and the contact was accidental. Both him and. Craig Paterson agreed that the referee did well giving hearts two advantages in the build up to their first offside goal. Along with taking the top off, getting too close to the opposing fans when celebrating and kicking the ball away will nearly always get a yellow, so pretty daft of Jason and bet it's infuriated Stubbs, but we are into the next round, hes a young laddie who has just scored agains a team who threw him on the scrap heap He's equalled Lawrie Reilly and Alex Cropley in scoring 4 games on the bounce against that lot, so I'm sure he can be cut some slack. and that's what we have a squad for, let's see what Dagnall, Keatjngs and Boyke can do.

Beefster
17-02-2016, 06:56 AM
Beaton appears to be one of those refs who takes decisions based on what he thinks must have happened because he was looking somewhere else at the time. Cummings was a total 'I've just sent off one of them and got it wrong so let's even it up'. Absolute rimmer of a ref who makes Thompson look like Collina.

hibsbollah
17-02-2016, 07:12 AM
In previous years losing our top two strikers, holding midfielder and best centre half for the quarter finals would have decimated our chances.

Now in all 4 of those cases we have genuine quality in reserve. I've seen enough from Thomson/Fyvie, Fontaine, Dagnall and Keatings to feel confident about the Inverness game. Our squad depth is one reason I think Sevco are also still catchable in the league.

ACLeith
17-02-2016, 07:40 AM
Had a good view of the Bartley incident. My view was that it was a throw in to us and no booking either way A wild challenge from Pallardo but he got good contact on the ball. His momentum caused Marv to try to hurdle him which he did his best to do. Would be good to see a replay of the incident though

mjhibby
17-02-2016, 07:56 AM
I'm not totally worried about the suspensions. Fontaine will come in for Hanlon,mcgeoch for Bartley and Dagnall for Cummings. Stokes is getting fitter every week and his team play has been spot on. Ict don't like people running at them so mcginn,mcgeoch and boyle late on can win it for us. We really are going to have to rotate the squad in the coming weeks so while the suspensions are not ideal it will mean the the 3 players will be fresh for the league cup final and the Rangers game the following week.

Wembley67
17-02-2016, 08:03 AM
In previous years losing our top two strikers, holding midfielder and best centre half for the quarter finals would have decimated our chances.

Now in all 4 of those cases we have genuine quality in reserve. I've seen enough from Thomson/Fyvie, Fontaine, Dagnall and Keatings to feel confident about the Inverness game. Our squad depth is one reason I think Sevco are also still catchable in the league.

Yup....Sunshine on Leith ya bas

macca70
17-02-2016, 08:11 AM

Cummings was stupid, if you watch it on TV, he wasn't booked for the original kicking the ball away, he was mouthing off constantly after it and then had another wee daft kick at the ball literally 1 yard in front of the ref.

If he just walked away from the original incident and not got involved with the ref or hearts players protesting then he wouldn't have got the 2nd yellow.

staunchhibby
17-02-2016, 08:15 AM
Cummings was an ifiot to get himself sent off.He should have shut up and walked away.Hope Stubbs puts him wise.

macca70
17-02-2016, 08:15 AM
1 thing that really pee'd me off over the 2 games was hearts players constantly surrounding the ref, making a huge deal out of every Hibs potential booking to ensure a Hibs player was booked or try to get our player sent off.

It's obviously a blatant tactic that's been drilled into them, half the bookings were made to looking 10 times worse by the over reaction of the other players. The SFA really need to look at this and clamp down on it.

Hibs Class
17-02-2016, 08:22 AM
1 thing that really pee'd me off over the 2 games was hearts players constantly surrounding the ref, making a huge deal out of every Hibs potential booking to ensure a Hibs player was booked or try to get our player sent off.

It's obviously a blatant tactic that's been drilled into them, half the bookings were made to looking 10 times worse by the over reaction of the other players. The SFA really need to look at this and clamp down on it.

They remind me of Chelsea when they constantly do that. They also seldom back away at free kicks, preventing quick ones, and Beaton did nothing to stop that either.

bookert
17-02-2016, 08:30 AM
Anybody any idea why Hanlon was booked, I completely missed the incident.

greenlex
17-02-2016, 08:58 AM
I'm not totally worried about the suspensions. Fontaine will come in for Hanlon,mcgeoch for Bartley and Dagnall for Cummings. Stokes is getting fitter every week and his team play has been spot on. Ict don't like people running at them so mcginn,mcgeoch and boyle late on can win it for us. We really are going to have to rotate the squad in the coming weeks so while the suspensions are not ideal it will mean the the 3 players will be fresh for the league cup final and the Rangers game the following week.
Rangers games been moved to 19th or 20th April

JimBHibees
17-02-2016, 09:08 AM

Only 3 players out Cummings, Hanlon and Bartley.

JimBHibees
17-02-2016, 09:10 AM

Agree they do it constantly a was a feature in their recent Hamilton game also. In England clubs get fined for failing to control their players I am assuming there isnt a similar rule in Scotland which there should be. Their disciplinary record is horrific.

JimBHibees
17-02-2016, 09:12 AM
Anybody any idea why Hanlon was booked, I completely missed the incident.

Rolf ran through the middle second half and Hanlon blocked him with Rolf doing a Tom Daly back somersault to make sure the ref noticed it.

easty
17-02-2016, 09:19 AM

Looked to me like he won the ball clean with his left, but absolutely left his right foot in to go through the boy. Yellow was prob fair.

Topographic Hibby
17-02-2016, 09:32 AM
Only seen highlights, but JC copped two silly yellows. We can complain about the Hearts players asking for him to be booked, but they were just trying to get even and get an equaliser. Harsh sending off - the goal celebration booking was worth the booking for the wind-up and *that* picture if he hadn't got the 2nd booking, but we have paid the price for him kicking the ball away. Still like to think we can take ICT without him, but we'll see.

Hearts red was harsh, but enjoyable!!

macca70
17-02-2016, 09:35 AM
They remind me of Chelsea when they constantly do that. They also seldom back away at free kicks, preventing quick ones, and Beaton did nothing to stop that either.

I think the main issue is the number of foreigners in their current team and you see it happening all the time in foreign leagues.

Geo_1875
17-02-2016, 09:47 AM
I think the main issue is the number of foreigners in their current team and you see it happening all the time in foreign leagues.

But their Scottish players are just as bad.

MB62
17-02-2016, 09:51 AM
J.C. is a star amongst the current stars we have in our squad, without him this season we would have struggled even more so for goals than we seem to do at the moment. However, he needs to engage his brain at times because last night he was just plain daft and deserved to be sent off.

There was absolutely no need to stand in front of the Yams to celebrate his goal, very well taken BTW, he could quite easily have ran towards the West stand and celebrated with his own fans, taking any decision away from the ref to book him. (stay on the park BTW because it seems as soon as you cross the line, refs can't wait to get the card out).
His 2nd yellow once again was needless.
Yams down to 10 men and we could have played the last 20 minutes out in relative comfort. As soon as he boots the ball up the park, he gives the ref a decision to make. Now, not only are we back to playing on level terms with regards players on the park, we also lose him for the Inverness game :brickwall

Jason, we need you on the park, have a wee think about things next season when you bang in another goal against that lot. :thumbsup:

macca70
17-02-2016, 09:52 AM
But their Scottish players are just as bad.

Yeah, good point, Paterson is a useless mouth piece.

If Onemum channelled more energy into his game rather than moaning and throwing himself about he'd be a much better player

green day
17-02-2016, 09:52 AM
Only seen highlights, but JC copped two silly yellows. We can complain about the Hearts players asking for him to be booked, but they were just trying to get even and get an equaliser. Harsh sending off - the goal celebration booking was worth the booking for the wind-up and *that* picture if he hadn't got the 2nd booking, but we have paid the price for him kicking the ball away. Still like to think we can take ICT without him, but we'll see.

Hearts red was harsh, but enjoyable!!

Cummings is a superb predator, but that 2nd yellow was utter utter stupidity - we said at the game "thats him off" and couldnt believe it took Beaton as long as it did to give the 2nd yellow.

Others can complain about the "classless" jambos asking for the yellow (but lets be honest, our players would be doing the same) but the harsh reality is that JC has got himself sent off for something stupid, and I am 100% sure he knows that today.

He is young though, and its a learning process. Still cannae believe he didnt dink the chance over Alexander to make it 2-0 though............

ICT is now a bit tougher with him, Hanlon, Bartley out - we can still do it - but the silver lining is they will be back for the semi :flag:

Spike Mandela
17-02-2016, 09:57 AM
There was absolutely no need to stand in front of the Yams to celebrate his goal,

Makes for a great photo though....:greengrin

easty
17-02-2016, 10:17 AM
There was absolutely no need to stand in front of the Yams to celebrate his goal,

Why not? He scored at that end, and he barely done anything, it's getting to the point where they'll have to introduce celebration boxes where you're allowed to celebrate your goals. Outside the lines and it's a booking.

dangermouse
17-02-2016, 10:32 AM
Cummings is a superb predator, but that 2nd yellow was utter utter stupidity - we said at the game "thats him off" and couldnt believe it took Beaton as long as it did to give the 2nd yellow.

Others can complain about the "classless" jambos asking for the yellow (but lets be honest, our players would be doing the same) but the harsh reality is that JC has got himself sent off for something stupid, and I am 100% sure he knows that today.

He is young though, and its a learning process. Still cannae believe he didnt dink the chance over Alexander to make it 2-0 though............

ICT is now a bit tougher with him, Hanlon, Bartley out - we can still do it - but the silver lining is they will be back for the semi :flag:

Will his suspension for the red card not be served by missing Sunday's game against Alloa?

hibee_girl
17-02-2016, 10:33 AM
Will his suspension for the red card not be served by missing Sunday's game against Alloa?

No because it wasn't a straight red

blackpoolhibs
17-02-2016, 10:53 AM
I take it anyone can be a ref in Scotland now, you just apply to the authorities and when your name is picked out the hat, they ring you up and tell you what game you've got.

MB62
17-02-2016, 12:01 PM
Why not? He scored at that end, and he barely done anything, it's getting to the point where they'll have to introduce celebration boxes where you're allowed to celebrate your goals. Outside the lines and it's a booking.

Because you're going to get booked that's why not. If he had score again when he was right through with only their keeper to beat, another celebration like that would have seen him red carded with about an hour to go.
I totally understand why he did, but I would rather he celebrated with us and not get booked, than radge them up and end up with a card.

snooky
17-02-2016, 12:12 PM
There's one thing I'll say about Beaton is, Hearts were. :greengrin :giruy2:

Carheenlea
17-02-2016, 12:13 PM
I was right in front of Thomson's tackle/foul/card, and it was one of those "scissor" tackles. While there didn't look to be any danger of the Hearts player getting hurt, I suppose that kind of tackle is outlawed and I've seen red cards pulled out for similar challenges.
Whilst on the subject of Kevin Thomson, my Dad mentioned a tackle right at start of game in front of his seat near the dugouts where Thomson went in rashly but luckily just made enough contact for a legal challenge. I didn't really notice it over in East.

--------
17-02-2016, 12:24 PM
I was right in front of Thomson's tackle/foul/card, and it was one of those "scissor" tackles. While there didn't look to be any danger of the Hearts player getting hurt, I suppose that kind of tackle is outlawed and I've seen red cards pulled out for similar challenges.
Whilst on the subject of Kevin Thomson, my Dad mentioned a tackle right at start of game in front of his seat near the dugouts where Thomson went in rashly but luckily just made enough contact for a legal challenge. I didn't really notice it over in East.

If you're going to go in hard to make a point, always do it right at the start. VERY few reds given in the first 10 minutes, in my experience.

Andy74
17-02-2016, 12:41 PM

I think there is a rather big box already. It's called the pitch.

Geo_1875
17-02-2016, 12:44 PM
J.C. is a star amongst the current stars we have in our squad, without him this season we would have struggled even more so for goals than we seem to do at the moment. However, he needs to engage his brain at times because last night he was just plain daft and deserved to be sent off.

There was absolutely no need to stand in front of the Yams to celebrate his goal, very well taken BTW, he could quite easily have ran towards the West stand and celebrated with his own fans, taking any decision away from the ref to book him. (stay on the park BTW because it seems as soon as you cross the line, refs can't wait to get the card out).
His 2nd yellow once again was needless.
Yams down to 10 men and we could have played the last 20 minutes out in relative comfort. As soon as he boots the ball up the park, he gives the ref a decision to make. Now, not only are we back to playing on level terms with regards players on the park, we also lose him for the Inverness game :brickwall

Jason, we need you on the park, have a wee think about things next season when you bang in another goal against that lot. :thumbsup:

Not true. Waghorn ran off the pitch to celebrate after scoring his penalty last night and was not booked before hobbling off.

emerald green
17-02-2016, 01:31 PM
Cummings needs to wise up in these situations. Once a referee sends off a player, especially in a high profile match like last night, there is always a fairly high chance he will take any opportunity to even things up. So, players need to be street wise and not give the referee any reason to send someone off.

He gave the referee the opportunity to do just that, although I think it was a combination of word from the linesman, and Hearts players surrounding the referee, that made up his mind for him.

Bracksy
17-02-2016, 01:32 PM
Dont know if this has been mentioned already but does anyone else think we should have had a penalty not long after we scored?

from my view in the west lower (near FF) looked like a stone waller?

brog
17-02-2016, 02:24 PM

TBH, I think that's an easy cop out. I have no doubt that the Fife puppet master is the one pulling the strings over everything Yams do on the pitch. Also in the Aberdeen game Neilson was constantly out the dugout brandishing imaginary yellow cards & gesturing to his players to stay down. Scotland has its fair share of d***ks but PBS seems to attract more than most.

JimBHibees
17-02-2016, 02:27 PM
Not true. Waghorn ran off the pitch to celebrate after scoring his penalty last night and was not booked before hobbling off.

and if you see the reaction of the Rangers players when Clark scored the winner 3 or 4 of them vault the advertising hoardings so assume they will all have been booked. :aok:

ancient hibee
17-02-2016, 02:27 PM
If you're going to go in hard to make a point, always do it right at the start. VERY few reds given in the first 10 minutes, in my experience.

Absolutely right.Four or five gave Walker a very early dunt -Bartley I think twice-and he wasn't so keen after.Don't say we're actually learning at last?