PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Stokes (merged threads)

Pretty Boy
16-02-2016, 09:15 PM
Take a bow.

Work rate was superb especially after the red card for Cummings. Tough slog, not a lot was sticking or falling for him but he covered every blade of grass. Atttude was 1st class.

bingo70
16-02-2016, 09:17 PM
Take a bow.

Work rate was superb especially after the red card for Cummings. Tough slog, not a lot was sticking or falling for him but he covered every blade of grass. Atttude was 1st class.

Something happened at the end of the game, it looked like he was trying to get down the tunnel but Stubbs had to usher him back on the pitch and was telling him to calm down.

Did anyone else see it or was I imagining things?

jacomo
16-02-2016, 09:20 PM
Take a bow.

Good to hear.

I was a bit sceptical about his return but he can definitely win me over.

Sammy7nil
16-02-2016, 09:21 PM
Something happened at the end of the game, it looked like he was trying to get down the tunnel but Stubbs had to usher him back on the pitch and was telling him to calm down.

You are imaging it :greengrin he did leave the pitch shortly after final whistle though.

I may be wrong but i thought he was quite and no better than alright i wanted him subbed after 60 mins

hibsbollah
16-02-2016, 09:23 PM
His skill in the far corner late on, and then to pick out the perfect pass to Carmichael was sublime. Would have been a great goal.

hibee_girl
16-02-2016, 09:33 PM
You are imaging it :greengrin he did leave the pitch shortly after final whistle though.

I may be wrong but i thought he was quite and no better than alright i wanted him subbed after 60 mins

I agree with you, I didn't think he was that great tonight. Yes there were flashes of brilliance from him but for the majority I wasn't impressed.

Pretty Boy
16-02-2016, 09:36 PM
I agree with you, I didn't think he was that great tonight. Yes there were flashes of brilliance from him but for the majority I wasn't impressed.

He wasn't brilliant technically by any means but his effort was superb.

There was once in the 2nd half he ran about 40 yards at full speed to close a defender down and won us a corner, his touch and cross for Boyle, who volleyed wide, late on was also as a result of sheer determination to get to the ball. I lost count of how may times he stopped Hearts defenders winning free headers or gambled in behind and forced them to play balls they would normally have let run back to, or helped onto, the keeper.

A lot has been said about Stokes attitude but it was spot on tonight imo.

SeanWilson
16-02-2016, 09:41 PM
His skill in the far corner late on, and then to pick out the perfect pass to Carmichael was sublime. Would have been a great goal.

100% this, having him and Bartley on the pitch towards the end made the difference.

adhibs
16-02-2016, 09:44 PM
Put in a big shift without getting much of the ball. 100% commitment from him.

Beefster
16-02-2016, 09:51 PM
I thought that he was great. Some folk totally underestimate the benefit to a team of having a front man who doesn't stop closing players down and holding the ball up.

stantonhibby
16-02-2016, 10:01 PM
I thought that he was great. Some folk totally underestimate the benefit to a team of having a front man who doesn't stop closing players down and holding the ball up.

Agree.....he did a power of work tonight. Needs the ball to his feet to get the best out of him

ancient hibee
16-02-2016, 10:07 PM
A lesson to all young strikers-it's not always what you do with the ball.

high bee
16-02-2016, 10:09 PM
He put a real shift in tonight, of that you can't deny. Great to see him knuckling down and fighting for the cause.

Onion
16-02-2016, 10:10 PM
Great shift tonight but lacks match sharpness. Will only get better as the games go by. Frightening thought ... of the opposition.

Torto7062
16-02-2016, 10:12 PM
He wasn't brilliant technically by any means but his effort was superb.

There was once in the 2nd half he ran about 40 yards at full speed to close a defender down and won us a corner, his touch and cross for Boyle, who volleyed wide, late on was also as a result of sheer determination to get to the ball. I lost count of how may times he stopped Hearts defenders winning free headers or gambled in behind and forced them to play balls they would normally have let run back to, or helped onto, the keeper.

A lot has been said about Stokes attitude but it was spot on tonight imo.
I felt he was more likely than not to win headers everytime and as for Cummings 1st half he never challenged but second half he made a nuisance of himself at every header making me think Stubbs had a go at them to hound their defence after the break

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Crawfordcal
16-02-2016, 10:15 PM
His one touch balls around the corner and that wee bit of magic in the corner were different class for me. Good shift, great attitude, even better talent. Fantastic.

CalCapona (PS4)

ACLeith
16-02-2016, 10:16 PM
He put a real shift in tonight, of that you can't deny. Great to see him knuckling down and fighting for the cause.

Guy in west lower behind us thought different continually shouted abuse at him. Agree with you though HB did a power of unselfish work.

Billy Whizz
16-02-2016, 10:17 PM
Stokes was touch and go to play tonight. Surprised he last so long

Diclonius
16-02-2016, 10:17 PM
Stokes got better as the game went on, and was surprisingly unselfish. Good game.

ancient hibee
16-02-2016, 10:18 PM
His one touch balls around the corner and that wee bit of magic in the corner were different class for me. Good shift, great attitude, even better talent. Fantastic.

CalCapona (PS4)

Pity he couldn't have been on the end of some of the passes he made-very clever player.

Scouse Hibee
16-02-2016, 10:18 PM

Yes saw it too so you never imagined it.

ACLeith
16-02-2016, 10:20 PM

Maybe caught short? Or collecting his winnings from Marathon? Came back and joined the others

Ron D Hibbie
16-02-2016, 10:24 PM
Take a bow.

Why is everybody saying he is out next game he was not booked tonight.

hibby19
16-02-2016, 10:25 PM

Saw this too. My thinking at the time was that he was away to retrieve Cumming's but was unsuccessful, this was mostly based on his reaction after returning to the pitch. Could be complete fantasy however!

Thought he had a decent game over all, did a lot of chasing down balls in the 2nd half whilst the rest of the team were sitting back

ancient hibee
16-02-2016, 10:27 PM
Saw this too. My thinking at the time was that he was away to retrieve Cumming's but was unsuccessful, this was mostly based on his reaction after returning to the pitch. Could be complete fantasy however!

Thought he had a decent game over all, did a lot of chasing down balls in the 2nd half whilst the rest of the team were sitting back

Everything was very amicable-he went off to do something and then came back on.

hfc rd
16-02-2016, 10:52 PM
His all-round play is excellent. Builds his match sharpness up and the goals will start flowing.

BSEJVT
16-02-2016, 11:04 PM
I thought Stokes was brilliant tonight.

He is certainly a much better footballer than he was in his first spell with us.

He also worked far far harder than I remember him doing first time around.

Once he gets his sharpness and confidence back he is going to be a great asset for us in remainder of season.

Well done Stokesy!

Andy74
16-02-2016, 11:07 PM

He is certainly a much better footballer than he was in his first spell with us.

Once he gets his sharpness and confidence back he is going to be a great asset for us in remainder of season.

Well done Stokesy!

I'm probably wrong but I thought he was quite poor. I want to see him getting into the box and don't think he did that enough. Took his shot a bit early first half. Not sure. Expected him to be a much bigger goal threat.

He hasn't scored in 3, Dagnall not at all. Keatings not for weeks.

We need to get scoring some goals!

Coco Bryce
16-02-2016, 11:17 PM
Being honest I'm not that impressed with Stokes yet either. Hoping it's just a fitness thing though.

Stokesy's on fire
16-02-2016, 11:21 PM

Well done Stokesy!

We will see loads from stokes he's a great leader up front as well good on him glad he's with us for the rest of the season he's class

hibbytam
16-02-2016, 11:25 PM
I'm probably wrong but I thought he was quite poor. I want to see him getting into the box and don't think he did that enough. Took his shot a bit early first half. Not sure. Expected him to be a much bigger goal threat.

while i'd agree about his goalscoring, his overall play was very good, especially when he was isolated in the 2nd half. Took the pressure off the defence, won a corner and set up chances that should have gone in.

Jones28
16-02-2016, 11:25 PM
He put in a power of work in the 2nd half. Chasing, closing and harassing their defenders. He really faded when Cummings went off as there was a lot of ground to cover

Shrekko
16-02-2016, 11:26 PM
No doubt he was playing for the team tonight- his shuttling between defenders was immense. People are hard to please if they didn't think he did a good job.

I think the goals will be flowing very soon.

Borderhibbie76
16-02-2016, 11:27 PM

Cheer up Andy mate...we just won a Derby pal the goals will come

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Dashing Bob S
16-02-2016, 11:28 PM
Have to say that I think he deserves a thread of his own. Take a bow son.

GreenLake
16-02-2016, 11:30 PM

Rancid Jambo bitching probably from barely restrained and poorly trained imports or possibly tiny ball grabbing girlfriends clitbiggerthan dicks in dark pink having a hissy fit.

GreenLake
16-02-2016, 11:33 PM
Well done Stokes, I will watch your efforts much later when the EUFA Oligarchs decide HibsTV can show it.

**** off EUFA

joebakerforever
16-02-2016, 11:34 PM
Thought his distribution and link up play were excellent and put in a great shift in the second half back tracking to support when we were under incessant pressure.

Definitely his most industrious performance, despite having very few goal scoring opportunities.

macd123
17-02-2016, 12:52 AM

I agree, he is definitely out of touch. He needs game time to get him fit and back to his best. He is getting there tho.

MWHIBBIES
17-02-2016, 12:58 AM
Started a bit slow first time round as well, then he started ****ting on every defense in the league. Will happen again hopefully starting this Sunday.

JOD
17-02-2016, 01:23 AM
Was sitting in the west saw Anthony was a wee bit upset because he had missed out on

Sunshine on Leith sing/song thats all he is one of us Erin Go Bragh

marinello59
17-02-2016, 01:36 AM
Stokes was superb tonight. He brings much more than his goal scoring ability. A class act.

greenlex
17-02-2016, 01:39 AM
Not had much football this season and can only get better. Put in a shift but should have been subbed earlier. Look ******

tamig
17-02-2016, 01:48 AM
Not had much football this season and can only get better. Put in a shift but should have been subbed earlier. Look ******

Agreed. I'd have had him off with 15-20 to go. He was toiling at the end. Boyle should have been on for him imo.