PDA

View Full Version : A timely remembrance . . . . .

cocteautwin
16-02-2016, 02:15 PM
Atop the hill named Carlton, overlooking the grand old city of Edinburgh, sits a conspicuous Georgian reminder of a business hitting bad times in the form of a monument known locally as Edinburgh's Disgrace. In current times, situated in the very same city, one might find another business failure and no less a disgrace but unfortunately no tangible stone reminder to the dishonour and disgust inflicted upon society in the financial crisis befalling the country in recent years.

Somewhat alarmingly this modern Edinburgh Disgrace seems to be in the process of being buried and forgotten by a retelling of the story and a resurrection of the failed business, still overseen by directors, employees and supporters who were party to the original business failure and disrespect to society as a whole.

Over a number of years a £40m theft of funds was used to push forward a local football team. A financial doping that many competing teams were unable to keep up with due to their compliance with the rules and no criminal desire to win (a little) at all costs.

The modern UK game of football is rife with dirty money from faraway places laundered in the hope of glory on a green field and adulation from a roaring crowd. But, in Edinburgh, a large part of the squandered money was extracted from local unsuspecting businesses and worse. The extent of the theft took in local plumbers, builders, tradesmen, catering entities, post offices and utility companies all. Additionally the UK taxman, Scottish and national banks, paper boys and sweet shop owners were robbed. Unbelievably the theft extended much further than this, taking in Eastern European pension funds and associated Banking enterprises.

The Devils money was taken without inquistion by the Directors, owners and somewhat despairingly, the unquestioning fans that make up a football club’s heart and soul. The shameless and heartless fans of Heart of Midlothian Football Club. Hearts without a heart.

For readers hailing from nations further afield than the United Kingdom, maybe not aware of the proud traditions of this great nation, every year in the lead up to Remembrance Day mid November, charity tins are rattled around the country to cajole the public to contribute towards those that fell or were injured in the great wars so that we might live. Collection of such funds would normally be expected to find their way to the charity on who’s behalf they were collected but in this instance the Lady Haig Poppy Fund did not receive the monies appropriated, instead the funds immorally directed towards the band of pirates and poppy thieves that had been assembled in the west of Edinburgh.

A minor punishment was received with a s****** behind a hand held to the mouth and to this day, the club still lives beyond its means, their very own fans still contributing to the disgrace. Like a mothers love for her mass murderer son. Understandable on some level. Who could ever denounce their own flesh and blood, given birth from their own womb? But surely when the crime is this unforgivable the family member should be denounced?

Perhaps it’s just a failing of modern society? Crimes swept under the carpet, like so much unpunished banking thievery committed in these despicable times? A modern society where voices go unheard. The crimes committed in plain sight by Putin, Blair, Bush etc that go unpunished, perhaps because of apathy, perhaps because of a knowing resignation that disapproval is no longer acted upon by the people required to police society.

People, I urge you not to erase these crimes from your memory but let this story be told and never forgotten. Heart of Midlothian Football Club. Not just Edinburgh’s second disgrace but a disgrace to the bigger society.

Bostonhibby
16-02-2016, 02:20 PM
Brilliant post. As one who has no intention of ever letting them forget where their recent modest successes were funded from, I doubt I will ever need to write anything new again!

flash
16-02-2016, 02:24 PM
Classy post. They know what they are.

GreenCastle
16-02-2016, 02:27 PM
Same old jambos always cheating...repeat

WhileTheChief..
16-02-2016, 02:28 PM
Ridiculous post.

Lest we forget? Piss off. That's clearly meant for remembering the war dead not a for having a dig at a rival football team.

monktonharp
16-02-2016, 02:28 PM
we will remember!. a good piece, about a modern day scandal. you did mention the Taxman though, as if it was a person, and it should be emphasised that it is actually us, the taxpayers that were robbed. furthermore, the council which is the people of Edinburgh's council were shafted, therefor the people. Added to this mire, was the fact that hundreds(maybe more) of the Lithuanian pensioners were shafted.

monktonharp
16-02-2016, 02:30 PM
Ridiculous post.

Lest we forget? Piss off. That's clearly meant for remembering the war dead not a for having a dig at a rival football team.think of it as you want. Facts are Facts.dont let history erase it

cocteautwin
16-02-2016, 02:34 PM
Ridiculous post.

Lest we forget? Piss off. That's clearly meant for remembering the war dead not a for having a dig at a rival football team.

Sorry bud.

Juice-Terry
16-02-2016, 02:38 PM
Next Poet Laureate! GGTTH!

Rugy07
16-02-2016, 02:44 PM
Superb post

CraigHibee
16-02-2016, 02:46 PM
Love it! Cracking post 😀

Deansy
16-02-2016, 02:59 PM
Good post but only one thing wrong - £40m ?? - wee bit more than that, they were £20+m in debt under Robinson alone and God knows how much under Mercer. Add on several 'Equity for Shares' (?? whatever they're called ??) exchanges and 'Charity Thieves FC' went through over £100m in their 30+ years of using 'Other People's Money' !!

Pete
16-02-2016, 03:06 PM
Ridiculous post.

He's changed it.

Are you still all offended?

Edit cracking post OP.

lord bunberry
16-02-2016, 03:13 PM
Never let them forget. Cheats with no remorse.

lyonhibs
16-02-2016, 03:36 PM
Atop the hill named Carlton, overlooking the grand old city of Edinburgh, sits a conspicuous Georgian reminder of a business hitting bad times in the form of a monument known locally as Edinburgh's Disgrace. In current times, situated in the very same city, one might find another business failure and no less a disgrace but unfortunately no tangible stone reminder to the dishonour and disgust inflicted upon society in the financial crisis befalling the country in recent years.

Somewhat alarmingly this modern Edinburgh Disgrace seems to be in the process of being buried and forgotten by a retelling of the story and a resurrection of the failed business, still overseen by directors, employees and supporters who were party to the original business failure and disrespect to society as a whole.

Over a number of years a £40m theft of funds was used to push forward a local football team. A financial doping that many competing teams were unable to keep up with due to their compliance with the rules and no criminal desire to win (a little) at all costs.

The modern UK game of football is rife with dirty money from faraway places laundered in the hope of glory on a green field and adulation from a roaring crowd. But, in Edinburgh, a large part of the squandered money was extracted from local unsuspecting businesses and worse. The extent of the theft took in local plumbers, builders, tradesmen, catering entities, post offices and utility companies all. Additionally the UK taxman, Scottish and national banks, paper boys and sweet shop owners were robbed. Unbelievably the theft extended much further than this, taking in Eastern European pension funds and associated Banking enterprises.

The Devils money was taken without inquistion by the Directors, owners and somewhat despairingly, the unquestioning fans that make up a football club’s heart and soul. The shameless and heartless fans of Heart of Midlothian Football Club. Hearts without a heart.

For readers hailing from nations further afield than the United Kingdom, maybe not aware of the proud traditions of this great nation, every year in the lead up to Remembrance Day mid November, charity tins are rattled around the country to cajole the public to contribute towards those that fell or were injured in the great wars so that we might live. Collection of such funds would normally be expected to find their way to the charity on who’s behalf they were collected but in this instance the Lady Haig Poppy Fund did not receive the monies appropriated, instead the funds immorally directed towards the band of pirates and poppy thieves that had been assembled in the west of Edinburgh.

A minor punishment was received with a s****** behind a hand held to the mouth and to this day, the club still lives beyond its means, their very own fans still contributing to the disgrace. Like a mothers love for her mass murderer son. Understandable on some level. Who could ever denounce their own flesh and blood, given birth from their own womb? But surely when the crime is this unforgivable the family member should be denounced?

Perhaps it’s just a failing of modern society? Crimes swept under the carpet, like so much unpunished banking thievery committed in these despicable times? A modern society where voices go unheard. The crimes committed in plain sight by Putin, Blair, Bush etc that go unpunished, perhaps because of apathy, perhaps because of a knowing resignation that disapproval is no longer acted upon by the people required to police society.

People, I urge you not to erase these crimes from your memory but let this story be told and never forgotten. Heart of Midlothian Football Club. Not just Edinburgh’s second disgrace but a disgrace to the bigger society.

What a load of self aggrandising pish. Not the base content, but the language used in its delivery and also, what new point are you making here? Phrases like "a mothers love for her mass murderer son" and "given birth from their own womb" "a failing of modern society" "these despicable times" "Hearts without a heart".

Mentioning the shoddy and underhand "creative accounting" of the Jambos in relation/comparison with the crimes committed in the name of "Putin, Blair and Bush" as if the 2 are remotely comparable. There are not enough facepalms IMO.

Taps right into this misty-eyed "narrative arc" horse**** that a well known and indeed well respected poster on here came about in the heady euphoria that preceded THAT final a few years ago.

Can we not just go about our lives, look forward, go to the pub, play football, go on holiday etc etc (some of that maybe even with Jambo friends and family, who knows?!!) without wearing this self appointed "Morality Police" badge all the time.

They were dirty thieving Jambos, they got punished. If the system/law is an ass, focus one's efforts on changing the system.

Clearly, giving it to them tight/never letting them forget in the context of the 90 minutes of an Edinburgh Derby/banter with mates I'm all for. But some kind of wider "crusade" to make "modern society" sit up, take notice and do something?? (although, interestingly our intrepid correspondent from - assuming his profile to still be valid - Shanghai, doesn't specify what he'd like that to be)

Nah, you're alright. I've got a busy life to be getting on with.

Tin hat on I guess.

RyeSloan
16-02-2016, 03:40 PM
Where is Carlton hill?!?

doddsy
16-02-2016, 03:49 PM
Ridiculous post.

You've got past history for dissing people's posts giving fair comment of the Jambos. Are you a troll?

Lyon makes a fair assessment although a bit strong on condemning all of the Jambo fans as there were a fair few very concerned at the direction their club was travelling in. However there are plenty who still believe that the Craig Thompson final was fairly won. They were obviously playing that day with player's whom they could not afford which is proven with them very nearly being wound up.

Piss off was uncalled for While the Chief :confused:

Pete
16-02-2016, 03:52 PM
I've got a busy life to be getting on with.

Evidently.

flash
16-02-2016, 03:54 PM
What a load of self aggrandising pish. Not the base content, but the language used in its delivery and also, what new point are you making here? Phrases like "a mothers love for her mass murderer son" and "given birth from their own womb" "a failing of modern society" "these despicable times" "Hearts without a heart".

Mentioning the shoddy and underhand "creative accounting" of the Jambos in relation/comparison with the crimes committed in the name of "Putin, Blair and Bush" as if the 2 are remotely comparable. There are not enough facepalms IMO.

Taps right into this misty-eyed "narrative arc" horse**** that a well known and indeed well respected poster on here came about in the heady euphoria that preceded THAT final a few years ago.

Can we not just go about our lives, look forward, go to the pub, play football, go on holiday etc etc (some of that maybe even with Jambo friends and family, who knows?!!) without wearing this self appointed "Morality Police" badge all the time.

They were dirty thieving Jambos, they got punished. If the system/law is an ass, focus one's efforts on changing the system.

Clearly, giving it to them tight/never letting them forget in the context of the 90 minutes of an Edinburgh Derby/banter with mates I'm all for. But some kind of wider "crusade" to make "modern society" sit up, take notice and do something?? (although, interestingly our intrepid correspondent from - assuming his profile to still be valid - Shanghai, doesn't specify what he'd like that to be)

Nah, you're alright. I've got a busy life to be getting on with.

Tin hat on I guess.

Speak for yourself. Still you are in Switzerland the home of dubious financial practices.

bawheid
16-02-2016, 04:09 PM
Cannae believe they actually stole the poppy money. A disgrace right enough.

Mikeystewart
16-02-2016, 04:18 PM

And the most mental post of the year award goes to :top marks:shocked::kettle::wtf::sofa:

lyonhibs
16-02-2016, 04:22 PM
Speak for yourself. Still you are in Switzerland the home of dubious financial practices.

I never claimed to be anything other than just that. Unlike the OP that read like some pontificating treatise delivered by a mealy mouthed leader atop a mountain or something.

And you won't hear any argument from me re: Switzerland and its "interesting" history re: unnamed accounts etc.

doddsy
16-02-2016, 04:24 PM
And the most mental post of the year award goes to :top marks:shocked::kettle::wtf::sofa:

TFFT I thought my Donald Where's yer Trousers Jason Cummings Song was a bit unpopular somewhat. Just goes to show theres always someone else to beat one to the mental post of the year award.

Congratulations Cocteutwins :not worth

Rugy07
16-02-2016, 04:27 PM
I thought it was all clearly just tongue in cheek and a bit of fun. I enjoyed reading it and to be honest, anything that distracts me for a couple of minutes today and stops me looking at the clock is fine by me.

Pete
16-02-2016, 04:34 PM
I thought it was all clearly just tongue in cheek and a bit of fun. I enjoyed reading it and to be honest, anything that distracts me for a couple of minutes today and stops me looking at the clock is fine by me.

:agree:

It's a few hours before a derby and I don't really want to hear anything other than abusive stuff regarding THEM.

I don't expect you'll understand that if you're upset about WW1 references or if you're a guy who's brain is that well developed you don't let things like tribalism influence you.

RoscoHibby
16-02-2016, 05:04 PM
Think the OP is a little OTT, but I agree with the sentiments of it.
On the back of 'that final', the yams were hitting out with the 'never let them forget'. They knew they were at it, and knew they were about to be taken to task for it, and as such, this sort of thing would never happen again. Same old yams, always cheating.

If I have to listen to the 5-1, then I'll never stop reminding them of their ****my cheating ways. Edinburghs shame.

WhileTheChief..
16-02-2016, 05:10 PM
He's changed it.

Are you still all offended?

Edit cracking post OP.

Glad he took out that line but Lyonhibs' post was a better response than mine.

Not offended in the slightest. Just think it's a crap thread.

cocteautwin
16-02-2016, 06:01 PM

Thanks mate. I'm just off to write the acceptance speech.

(Just having a bit of fun - an explanation for those with the reduced sense of humour)

2 o'clock in the morning here and I cannae sleep. GGTTH.

:-) :-) :-)

Scouse Hibee
16-02-2016, 07:30 PM

(Just having a bit of fun - an explanation for those with the reduced sense of humour)

Just a slight over reaction from some!

lyonhibs
16-02-2016, 07:59 PM

Ah. Well in that case, it was a fairly poorly delivered joke, but hooked me in.

1-0 to the Hibs over these ****ers now, so all is good (at least temporarily!!)

cocteautwin
17-02-2016, 12:16 AM
This award winning thread was brought to you in conjunction with our sponsors Kirin Ichiban and Glenkinchie.

:greengrin`

Kato
17-02-2016, 02:24 AM
Good post but I prefer a snappy ?#£## off ya poppy thieving #£##ards" myself.