PDA

View Full Version : The bigger picture re tomorrow

H18 SFR
15-02-2016, 08:19 PM
A lot has been said in recent months about getting fans back regularly to ER. Whilst tomorrow is a huge game against our rivals for the right to progress to the next round and another home tie, it's much, much bigger than that.

All the work by Ms Dempster and her off the field team rests on the 90 minutes tomorrow. Win and we are on to something getting bodies back in ER, we don't need to discuss the other side of the coin.

Tomorrow is meteoric in size, the biggest game to be played at ER in god knows how long. I honestly can't think of a bigger game in a generation.

Borderhibbie76
15-02-2016, 08:41 PM
I see where your coming from but the bigger picture this season is and MUST be promotion...yes we are all desperate for the win tomorrow but id swap it for going up anytime mate

Sammy7nil
15-02-2016, 08:44 PM
I see where your coming from but the bigger picture this season is and MUST be promotion...yes we are all desperate for the win tomorrow but id swap it for going up anytime mate

We all would take promotion but lets be greedy win a really important derby in front of a full house and get peeps back watching the cabbage regularly :aok:

Viva_Palmeiras
15-02-2016, 08:51 PM
A lot has been said in recent months about getting fans back regularly to ER. Whilst tomorrow is a huge game against our rivals for the right to progress to the next round and another home tie, it's much, much bigger than that.

All the work by Ms Dempster and her off the field team rests on the 90 minutes tomorrow. Win and we are on to something getting bodies back in ER, we don't need to discuss the other side of the coin.

Tomorrow is meteoric in size, the biggest game to be played at ER in god knows how long. I honestly can't think of a bigger game in a generation.

"ALL the work rests on 90 minutes"?

Nay, nay and thrice nay you talk about the bigger picture yet forget the most vital part...

You should write for a paper ;)

Topographic Hibby
15-02-2016, 08:52 PM

+1 from me.

A win tomorrow and winning the LC are highly desirable, but we must gain promotion. If we are playing Livingston, Dumbarton or Alloa come November, then a victory tomorrow or having to polish the LC trophy will feel a little empty.

Priorities:
1. gain promotion
2.= beat Hearts
2.= win League Cup

Scouse Hibee
15-02-2016, 08:53 PM
1.Gain promotion
2.Any cup

Waxy
15-02-2016, 08:59 PM

Tomorrow there is no pressure on us. I hope the players go out and enjoy it and express themselves.Its they who went and grabbed us this chance when we looked to be down and out.They deserve our full backing.

bob12345
15-02-2016, 09:01 PM
A win tomorrow could be what is needed to get bums on seats for the crucial promotion run in.

Sir David Gray
15-02-2016, 10:50 PM
We need to go up, simple as that. If we are still in the Championship next season then we won't see any change to our average attendance.

I fear that our failure to capitalise on Sevco's slip up at the weekend has seriously hampered our chances of winning the title but I'm hopeful that this team will be able to negotiate four matches in the play offs.

I really, really, really want to win tomorrow night though!

Gogs07
15-02-2016, 11:13 PM
We need to win and win again, till the end of the season to gain promotion with the upside of increased attendances.

Winning brings confidence and starts again, After the Livi blip, against the mutants in the cup.:greengrin

greenlex
16-02-2016, 12:36 AM
I'll go against the grain here. Any cup will do me. I've watched Hibs for a long time and seen three national trophy wins in that time. They don't come around too often so could cope with only that. I don't think promotion is out the question but it's not the end of the world for me. At the seasons end we were a trophy up and looking at playing another year in the championship it wouldn't be bad. We would/ should win it with room to spare next season. Imagine that two seasons on the bounce with success. Never in my lifetime. I'll be greedy tho and want both this season tho but not a deal breaker.. Oh and a win tomorrow night would be sweet.

Deansy
16-02-2016, 12:39 AM

Totally and utterly agree 100% !! Promotion MUST be achieved, anything else is a bonus !.

I hope and pray we rip them tonight but let's not forget, their luck STILL hasn't deserted them yet, hence their current SPL league-placing. However, it has to at some point and, Dear God, let it start tonight !!

truehibernian
16-02-2016, 12:48 AM
Doesn't matter how it's spun, we are in the lower league so are underdogs. It's a win win for Hibs and Stubbs regardless - we win, it's another game in a great unbeaten run, bragging rights, yet another top league scalp, and a quarter final at home - we lose, we have a cup final in the bag to look forward to and promotion to go for.

Neilson loses - he'll come out with 'top 6 in SPL our priority' - he wins, an 'expected' result reported in the media given Hearts ' top flight status'.....either way, life goes on.

These two derbies are a wee blessing this season, absolutely want the win, but want a promotion more (and league cup if greedy).

easty
16-02-2016, 12:52 AM
Tomorrow there is no pressure on us. I hope the players go out and enjoy it and express themselves.Its they who went and grabbed us this chance when we looked to be down and out.They deserve our full backing.

There is.

Promotion is the obviously the main goal this season, but I'd never want us to treat a derby match as if it wasn't massively important.

Just Jimmy
16-02-2016, 01:27 AM
Cup.
L cup
League

Too many have been and gone to sniff at any chance. It's one and two of the three big throphies we actually have a chance of winning. The standard of the spl is also cack. We'd come up next year if we don't now and besides i think we can progress tomorrow, win the final and win the league or a play off.

Get on it stubbsy

buktapurple79
16-02-2016, 05:55 AM
Actually woke up early as so up for the game the night. Booked a day in lieu for the morn, sweet. I like to think of it this way - we will put this trash to the sword tonight finishing off the job we started at the PBS. Not only is this a potential second cup but we are picking up experience of seriously out playing SPL sides. This will help if we have to go up through the play off route. The bookies very rarely make a mistake, we will do them and show them how a big team go about their business in a proper stadium with a proper pitch. Their cheating with the pitch will backfire - more mental pressure on them to win as they had the rest. Stubbs has there measure big time. Bring it on!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Pete
16-02-2016, 07:11 AM
Doesn't matter how it's spun, we are in the lower league so are underdogs. It's a win win for Hibs and Stubbs regardless - we win, it's another game in a great unbeaten run, bragging rights, yet another top league scalp, and a quarter final at home - we lose, we have a cup final in the bag to look forward to and promotion to go for.

Neilson loses - he'll come out with 'top 6 in SPL our priority' - he wins, an 'expected' result reported in the media given Hearts ' top flight status'.....either way, life goes on.

These two derbies are a wee blessing this season, absolutely want the win, but want a promotion more (and league cup if greedy).

Couldn't have put it better myself.

I'll be happy enough if we go down fighting tonight.

erskine-hibby
16-02-2016, 08:01 AM
A loss today,for me, is unthinkable. Sure, the league/promotion has to be the priority, but win today, regardless if we actually go on to win the cup, will set us up for the rest of the season...and get it right up THEM.

JimBHibees
16-02-2016, 08:02 AM
A loss today,for me, is unthinkable. Sure, the league/promotion has to be the priority, but win today, regardless if we actually go on to win the cup, will set us up for the rest of the season...and get it right up THEM.

Absolutely the bragging rights are huge tonight. Great opportunity to do them over at home in front of a full house. :thumbsup:

Glesgahibby
16-02-2016, 08:29 AM
:agree:
"They don't like it up them!"
might bump into you on your return tonight,hope you have a big cheesy :greengrin

Yorkshire HFC
16-02-2016, 08:34 AM
The great thing about football is that there is always another "biggest game of the season" after the current "biggest game of the season" - that's what keeps the fans interested.

If we win it, then great - if we don't, then fans have an uncanny ability to delete it from the memory and to look forward to the next vital 3 points, the cup final etc.

I've seen Hibs win and lose too many of these games - I'll be in Leeds following it on computer / radio, desperately hoping for the win - for me, we need to get out of this crummy league though

Onion
16-02-2016, 08:39 AM
The great thing about football is that there is always another "biggest game of the season" after the current "biggest game of the season" - that's what keeps the fans interested.

If we win it, then great - if we don't, then fans have an uncanny ability to delete it from the memory and to look forward to the next vital 3 points, the cup final etc.

I've seen Hibs win and lose too many of these games - I'll be in Leeds following it on computer / radio, desperately hoping for the win - for me, we need to get out of this crummy league though

Not for the Yams. Playing the Hibs is as big as it gets for those groin-squeezing greaseballs :greengrin

RMQ1967
16-02-2016, 08:45 AM

I'm not getting my hopes up - been there too many times before only for the worst imaginable outcome to happen - in fact the worst that could happen and then double it!

This team is different but I'm not expecting to win this one - I'm not expecting to lose either but if we do win it will be massive.

As others have said we have a cup final coming up and a very good chance of promotion so losing this won't be the end of the world.

erskine-hibby
16-02-2016, 08:46 AM
:agree:
"They don't like it up them!"
might bump into you on your return tonight,hope you have a big cheesy :greengrin

Yeah I hope Neilson is like Pike tonight...
STUPID BOY!

erskine-hibby
16-02-2016, 08:49 AM
I'm not getting my hopes up - been there too many times before only for the worst imaginable outcome to happen - in fact the worst that could happen and then double it!

This team is different but I'm not expecting to win this one - I'm not expecting to lose either but if we do win it will be massive.

As others have said we have a cup final coming up and a very good chance of promotion so losing this won't be the end of the world.

Been getting my hopes up since about 1970 and that's not about to change😂

blackpoolhibs
16-02-2016, 08:53 AM
I think the bigger picture here now is we have hope, we have belief, and we all think we have at least a 50/50 chance of winning against this lot now. In the past for numerous reasons, their cheating or our ****in hopeless team, we've been kidding ourselves that we had a chance in most of the games over the last few years.

Now we know we have a good chance of winning most games we play, even if we are playing teams from the Premiership. :thumbsup:

Lucius Apuleius
16-02-2016, 09:01 AM
We are the underdogs, 11 or 12 places behind them in the greater scheme. Of course I would love to win tonight, and think we will, however for me promotion should be the main goal. We are bigger than this division, we need to get out of it, sharp sharp.

Waxy
16-02-2016, 09:04 AM
We are the underdogs, 11 or 12 places behind them in the greater scheme. Of course I would love to win tonight, and think we will, however for me promotion should be the main goal. We are bigger than this division, we need to get out of it, sharp sharp.

Bookies have us as favs

BoomtownHibees
16-02-2016, 09:05 AM
Bookies have us as favs

Only cos I put £10k on us

Lucius Apuleius
16-02-2016, 09:07 AM
Bookies have us as favs

Don't really care what the bookies say Waxy mate. A third place premier team against a 2nd place championship team is always favourites in my mind.😊