PDA

View Full Version : Deeks & Jason

The_Sauz
13-02-2016, 07:52 PM
Is it just me, but for the last few months now Jason had has got in to the same habit that Deeks use to do(in his second stint)....go out to the wing and then cut back in and try curling the ball into the far corner?
And just like Deeks, he has become to predictable and easier to defend against :agree:

btw...I thought he should have been sub at half time tonight!

Bearders
13-02-2016, 09:52 PM
[QUOTE=The_Sauz;4584958]Is it just me, but for the last few months now Jason had has got in to the same habit that Deeks use to do(in his second stint)....go out to the wing and then cut back in and try curling the ball into the far corner?
And just like Deeks, he has become to predictable and easier to defend against :agree:

btw...I thought he should have been sub at half time tonight![/QUOT

Utter bollox.

Hibby Bairn
13-02-2016, 09:59 PM
[QUOTE=The_Sauz;4584958]Is it just me, but for the last few months now Jason had has got in to the same habit that Deeks use to do(in his second stint)....go out to the wing and then cut back in and try curling the ball into the far corner?

btw...I thought he should have been sub at half time tonight![/QUOT

Utter bollox.

Love a well structured debate. 👍

IberianHibernian
13-02-2016, 10:10 PM
I see no comparison between Riordan and Cummings now or ever before . For me Riordan is possibly the best striker I`ve seen play for Hibs in the 49 years I`ve been watching the club ( only saw Baker on his return ) while Cummings wouldn`t even get in top 10 ( maybe not even top 20 ) . At Tynecastle he hardly touched the ball till the goal , today I didn`t realise he was playing till I heard his name on Hibs TV commentary just before half time and he seems to have been off form since before new year . Anyway he`s still young and I hope he proves me wrong this season and hopefully in top division next year .

leither17
13-02-2016, 10:15 PM
I see no comparison between Riordan and Cummings now or ever before . For me Riordan is possibly the best striker I`ve seen play for Hibs in the 49 years I`ve been watching the club ( only saw Baker on his return ) while Cummings wouldn`t even get in top 10 ( maybe not even top 20 ) . At Tynecastle he hardly touched the ball till the goal , today I didn`t realise he was playing till I heard his name on Hibs TV commentary just before half time and he seems to have been off form since before new year . Anyway he`s still young and I hope he proves me wrong this season and hopefully in top division next year .

who are the top 20? (doesnt have to be in order)

Hibby Bairn
13-02-2016, 10:24 PM
who are the top 20? (doesnt have to be in order)

Good challenge :)

Gordon Durie, Willie Irvine, Garry O'Connor, Stevie Crawford, Darren Jackson, George Best, Steven Fletcher, Anthony Stokes, Alan Gordon, Jimmy O'Rourke, Joe Harper...help!

Andy74
13-02-2016, 10:33 PM
Not sure Jason has been the same since Derek hasn't been training with us.

Edson Arantes
13-02-2016, 10:34 PM
Is it just me, but for the last few months now Jason had has got in to the same habit that Deeks use to do(in his second stint)....go out to the wing and then cut back in and try curling the ball into the far corner?

It's just you.

Deeks was more clever than that.

On the pitch anyway. :wink:

Andy74
13-02-2016, 10:34 PM

Gordon Durie, Willie Irvine, Garry O'Connor, Stevie Crawford, Darren Jackson, George Best, Steven Fletcher, Anthony Stokes, Alan Gordon, Jimmy O'Rourke, Joe Harper...help!

Archibald. Griffiths. Dom 😉

Edson Arantes
13-02-2016, 10:35 PM

Seriously?

Tom Hart RIP
13-02-2016, 10:36 PM

Keith Keith Keith, joe Mcbride, Colin Stein,

pacorosssco
13-02-2016, 10:36 PM
Not gonna help:) but how can u have stevie crawford and not at very least mention keith wright steve archibald

theonlywayisup
13-02-2016, 10:38 PM

Ally McLeod

IberianHibernian
13-02-2016, 10:38 PM
who are the top 20? (doesnt have to be in order)Very good question ! If you`re asking because you disagree I presume you`ve not just seen recent years . Quick answer but not all 10 or 20 ( not in order ) : Riordan , MacLeod , O`Rourke , Gordon , Willie Irvine ( both ? ) , Archibald , Baker , Fletcher , Cormack , Luna , GOC , Malonga , Eoin Doyle , Benji , Andy Walker , Stokes , Griffiths , ... Maybe better to leave question for another thread since it all depends on how team plays ( form and tactics ) and I`m certainly not criticising Cummings ( great player who I hope helps us to win titles this year ) .

Tom Hart RIP
13-02-2016, 10:39 PM
Stevie Archibald, Benji, Stevie Cowan

hfc rd
13-02-2016, 10:39 PM

Keith Wright, Mixu Paatelainen must be in there. Maybe Kenny Miller? Chris Killen also had a very impressive scoring record at Hibs.

leither17
13-02-2016, 10:46 PM
Very good question ! If you`re asking because you disagree I presume you`ve not just seen recent years . Quick answer but not all 10 or 20 ( not in order ) : Riordan , MacLeod , O`Rourke , Gordon , Willie Irvine ( both ? ) , Archibald , Baker , Fletcher , Cormack , Luna , GOC , Malonga , Eoin Doyle , Benji , Andy Walker , Stokes , Griffiths , ... Maybe better to leave question for another thread since it all depends on how team plays ( form and tactics ) and I`m certainly not criticising Cummings ( great player who I hope helps us to win titles this year ) .

Not disagreeing just thought it would be a good question

Andy74
13-02-2016, 10:48 PM
Always liked Marc Librra.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
13-02-2016, 10:57 PM
Benji?

IberianHibernian
13-02-2016, 10:59 PM
We have had some great strikers ( Baker and Archibald stick out because they had been world class and were still at a very high level when playing for Hibs , in case of Baker I only saw him on his return but he was still great - I`m excited about LC final in March but as I look back on big matches in last 50 years which include about 15 finals at Hampden , Hibs v Aberdeen at Holy Ground in January 1971 was a massive match - return of Joe Baker , Pat Stanton scores after Aberdeen had been about 15 games without letting in a goal etc etc ) .

IberianHibernian
13-02-2016, 11:02 PM
Not disagreeing just thought it would be a good questionSorry , I thought it was a defence of Cummings ( good player but a long long way from being considered in company of names people have named above ) .

eastterrace
13-02-2016, 11:06 PM
Very good question ! If you`re asking because you disagree I presume you`ve not just seen recent years . Quick answer but not all 10 or 20 ( not in order ) : Riordan , MacLeod , O`Rourke , Gordon , Willie Irvine ( both ? ) , Archibald , Baker , Fletcher , Cormack , Luna , GOC , Malonga , Eoin Doyle , Benji , Andy Walker , Stokes , Griffiths , ... Maybe better to leave question for another thread since it all depends on how team plays ( form and tactics ) and I`m certainly not criticising Cummings ( great player who I hope helps us to win titles this year ) . You missed out James Collins scored the day as well

hfc rd
13-02-2016, 11:09 PM
You missed out James Collins scored the day as well

James Collins? Seriously?

eastterrace
13-02-2016, 11:11 PM
James Collins? Seriously? 😆

1987kev
13-02-2016, 11:23 PM
Jase is only 20 Deek started playing for the first team when he was 20. Jase is only get better with age

MGmick
13-02-2016, 11:31 PM
We have had some great strikers ( Baker and Archibald stick out because they had been world class and were still at a very high level when playing for Hibs , in case of Baker I only saw him on his return but he was still great - I`m excited about LC final in March but as I look back on big matches in last 50 years which include about 15 finals at Hampden , Hibs v Aberdeen at Holy Ground in January 1971 was a massive match - return of Joe Baker , Pat Stanton scores after Aberdeen had been about 15 games without letting in a goal etc etc ) .

That was some day. I was 4 months short of my 10th birthday and was in the North Enclosure with my pal. we'd come on our own on the bus from Hyvots. I didn't really know who he was but I understood JB's return was a step up from the second coming. And he didn't let us down, a goal, an assist, hit the bar and white boots!!!! He could've been God. But Paddy already had that gig covered.

Jdawg
13-02-2016, 11:35 PM

Deeks predictable? Scored over 100 goals for hibs, had an excellent touch, good vision, could score tap ins, beauties, free kicks and was one of very few players at hibs who could finish brilliantly with both feet.

Just watched (again) his video on YouTube, some absolutely phenomenal goals. Definitely unpredictable.

Keith_M
14-02-2016, 07:01 AM

Which one?

Thecat23
14-02-2016, 07:18 AM

He's actually done this all season. Loves to cut in and go across the box and shoot. Sometimes it works (The Rangers game) but lately hasn't worked!

Peevemor
14-02-2016, 09:29 AM
He's actually done this all season. Loves to cut in and go across the box and shoot. Sometimes it works (The Rangers game) but lately hasn't worked!

It's definitely one way of beating the packed defences that we come up against in the majority of our games.

matty_f
14-02-2016, 09:37 AM
Zitteli worthy of a mention as well.

MrSmith
14-02-2016, 09:45 AM

Just thinking that very thing!

If if we can't get deek back to play, a coaching roll should be in order. :aok::aok::aok:

lapsedhibee
14-02-2016, 09:54 AM
For me Riordan is possibly the best striker I`ve seen play for Hibs in the 49 years I`ve been watching the club ( only saw Baker on his return ) while Cummings wouldn`t even get in top 10 ( maybe not even top 20 ) .

Also Jim Scott in the last 49 years.

hibee
14-02-2016, 09:58 AM
I don't think Riordan was predictable, one of his biggest assets was he could actually beat a man shoot on either side.

Jason doesn't appear to be able to beat anyone and generally always goes the same way. I know he's scored a lot of goals but I don't think he's actually that good a player yet although as has been mentioned already he's still very young with plenty time to improve.

Ronniekirk
14-02-2016, 10:15 AM
Just thinking that very thing!

If if we can't get deek back to play, a coaching roll should be in order. :aok::aok::aok:

His form was always going to go through a sticky patch at some point where he didn't score in every game It happened last season but he came bouncing back and went on another run scoring in every game
Think there was evidence his form improved around the time Deeks was training with us but too early to say his departure is affecting Cummings form .
Think we still haven't found a front pairing that can work well together and we are chopping and changing just now which won't be helping him .

CapitalGreen
14-02-2016, 10:17 AM
Jason Cummings only needs 8 goals before August to score 50 goals for Hibs before he turns 21, Riordan had scored 11.

Riordan wouldn't have scored that header against Hearts last week.

CapitalGreen
14-02-2016, 10:20 AM
His form was always going to go through a sticky patch at some point where he didn't score in every game It happened last season but he came bouncing back and went on another run scoring in every game
Think there was evidence his form improved around the time Deeks was training with us but too early to say his departure is affecting Cummings form .
Think we still haven't found a front pairing that can work well together and we are chopping and changing just now which won't be helping him .

Prior to yesterday, I believe he had scored in 9 successive away games.

Edit - 8 games

eastterrace
14-02-2016, 10:23 AM
Jason Cummings only needs 8 goals before August to score 50 goals for Hibs before he turns 21, Riordan had scored 11. Riordan wouldn't have scored that header against Hearts last week. your right Derek's would have chested it down and blasted into the net

Sammy7nil
14-02-2016, 10:29 AM
Jason Cummings only needs 8 goals before August to score 50 goals for Hibs before he turns 21, Riordan had scored 11.

Riordan wouldn't have scored that header against Hearts last week.

You could pick 30 - 40 of deeks goals Jason would not have scored:greengrin

ancient hibee
14-02-2016, 11:57 AM
Prior to yesterday, I believe he had scored in 9 successive away games.

Edit - 8 games

Clearly not consistent enough.

Amazed nobody has quoted Neil Martin among top goal scorers-phenomenal goals to games ratio-maybe I'm getting old.

eastterrace
14-02-2016, 12:29 PM
Clearly not consistent enough. Amazed nobody has quoted Neil Martin among top goal scorers-phenomenal goals to games ratio-maybe I'm getting old. he was more than 49 years ago I think

hibby6270
14-02-2016, 01:31 PM
Paul Wright?
Keith Houchen?
And for number of goals scored - Arthur Duncan - must get a mention. I know, technically a winger not a striker but had a great goals to games ratio.

Tom Hart RIP
14-02-2016, 05:03 PM
Forgot about Paul Wright. Good player. Victim of brutal assault by ....... Neil Berry????
Zitelli was another but didn't get praise he deserved as he was just one of several really good players in a team that contained 2 great players

Tom Hart RIP
14-02-2016, 05:07 PM
Still think Joe Mcbride snr was best natural centre forward I've seen at ER. (Only saw Joe Baker) in his second spell. Joe scored 30 before Xmas for Celtic but got injury. He would have been a Lisbon Lion but for that

malcolm
14-02-2016, 05:09 PM
I just can't believe someone mentioned Andy Walker and it went without mention. :confused: Regardless what he ever did anywhere else for Hibs he was about as dire as I've ever seen.

eastterrace
14-02-2016, 05:11 PM
I just can't believe someone mentioned Andy Walker and it went without mention. :confused: Regardless what he ever did anywhere else for Hibs he was about as dire as I've ever seen. scored on his debut as I backed him so he was alright with me

happiehibbie
14-02-2016, 05:12 PM
Steve Archibald
Gordon Durie
Alan Gordon
Darren jackson
Keith Wright
Joe Harper
Ally Mcleod
Derek Riordon
the above would be the best I have saw in my time at ER

flash
14-02-2016, 06:39 PM
Classy thread listing all the strikers folk think are better than the young laddie we have got who scores in almost every big game he plays in.