PDA

View Full Version : Dagnall

Malongoals
13-02-2016, 07:39 PM
Obviously he needs time to gel but on the basis of the last few games, I cannot see what he offers compared to someone like Malonga. I'm sure the fans who'd rather our strikers try hard than score were delighted at him coming in and Dom leaving however in a league like this, it's goals and the ability to break down teams that will win us games, not someone trying to defend from the front

Sammy7nil
13-02-2016, 07:41 PM
Squad player who will struggle to get another start sorry if that is to quick an assessment for some

cabbageandribs1875
13-02-2016, 07:42 PM
do you mind, i'm still trying to come to terms that we've lost malonga :grr: and a damn good song as well

mutley
13-02-2016, 07:43 PM
James Colin's Mk 2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stevie Reid
13-02-2016, 07:43 PM
Had a poor game, but has looked good before now. Absolutely need to single him out, IMO.

stantonhibby
13-02-2016, 07:44 PM
James Colin's Mk 2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deary me.

HibsNutter
13-02-2016, 07:44 PM
Today was the kind of game I would have envisaged Malonga not trying a leg.

Malongoals
13-02-2016, 07:45 PM
do you mind, i'm still trying to come to terms that we've lost malonga :grr: and a damn good song as well

Hahaha, look at my username and you'll see I'm in the same camp as you

Pete
13-02-2016, 07:45 PM
Malonga wanted to leave so he left. What's the point of looking backwards and complaining?

Today certainly wasn't Dagnalls fault and you could point to half a dozen others who had just as bad a game.

Pretty Boy
13-02-2016, 07:47 PM
With the exception of Bartley and maybe the central defenders we had very few who performed tonight.

To pick out Dagnall as worse than the others, especially the other 2 forwards, is strange.

No need for a scapegoat. A bad day at the office, potentially a costly one, but hardly an excuse for open season on players.

pacorosssco
13-02-2016, 07:48 PM
Dom chose to leave. Not fight get us up. Id take a player who wants to be here over one who doesnt

hibee_girl
13-02-2016, 07:48 PM
I like Dagnall, he had a poor game tonight but in the other games I've seen him play he's done really well and been unlucky not to score.

I think he works better with Cummings than Stokes does, so far.

danhibees1875
13-02-2016, 07:49 PM

Losing the Malonga song is a real blow. The mcginn Song is good, but I really hope we can finalise a deal on a Cummings song before the Derby. I also heard a rumour that a Dempsey song was overheard on a number 26 bus...

Smartie
13-02-2016, 07:49 PM
I like him.

Today's the first time he's played badly and he wasn't alone.

Any real need to single him out over fans' favourites McGinn, Stokes and Cummings who were all very poor?

I didn't want to see Malonga go. He was a class act who offered us something that the others simply don't but if he wanted to go then I don't think there's much we could do.

And today was exactly the type of game that he didn't tend to fancy - the type that gave the haters the ammunition.

Malongoals
13-02-2016, 07:51 PM
With the exception of Bartley and maybe the central defenders we had very few who performed tonight.

To pick out Dagnall as worse than the others, especially the other 2 forwards, is strange.

No need for a scapegoat. A bad day at the office, potentially a costly one, but hardly an excuse for open season on players.

We know Cummings and Stokes can finish, Dagnall has had an average (at best) goal record in his career - on top of a couple of games for us where his finishing and first touch have been substandard - and to bring him in for Malonga (a player who scored almost one every other game) seems head scratching to say the least

KWJ
13-02-2016, 07:51 PM

Yup. Hoped the players would pick it up once the conditions improved but it was Livi that seemed to find a gear.

Dagnell's first poor game for us but he was just as poor as Cummings.

KWJ
13-02-2016, 07:52 PM
We know Cummings and Stokes can finish, Dagnall has had an average (at best) goal record in his career - on top of a couple of games for us where his finishing and first touch have been substandard - and to bring him in for Malonga (a player who scored almost one every other game) seems head scratching to say the least

Not if Malonga wanted to leave. He's also been brought in for Anier and Feruz.

Pedantic_Hibee
13-02-2016, 07:53 PM
Introducing our new scapegoat in 5,4,3,2,1...

Pretty Boy
13-02-2016, 07:55 PM

Firstly Malonga wanted to leave.

Secondly his career goal record is average.

Thirdly there is more to some strikers games than goalscoring.

I loved Malonga but he's gone now and Dagnall is here, until tonight he has been decent for us.

Scorrie
13-02-2016, 07:56 PM
I thought Dagnall tried hard but it didn't come off for him. He didn't look to hide though or let his head go down so with that attitude and a bit more luck and game time I'm sure he'll come good

BOB MARLEYS DUG
13-02-2016, 07:58 PM
Dom chose to leave. Not fight get us up. Id take a player who wants to be here over one who doesnt

He chose to leave because his family were struggling to settle in here and his wife is Italian. Not the fact that he didnt want to be here.

Andy74
13-02-2016, 07:59 PM
Firstly Malonga wanted to leave.

Secondly his career goal record is average.

Thirdly there is more to some strikers games than goalscoring.

I loved Malonga but he's gone now and Dagnall is here, until tonight he has been decent for us.

I think it's going to be relevant though so it will be discussed as the season goes on.

The fact was we let him go when under contract.

I think that was a mistake and he would have played a role. Doesn't help when Dagnall and Keatings are going for so many games without scoring.

Malonga's record for us was above average. That's what matters.

Andy74
13-02-2016, 08:01 PM
I like him.

Any real need to single him out over fans' favourites McGinn, Stokes and Cummings who were all very poor?

I didn't want to see Malonga go. He was a class act who offered us something that the others simply don't but if he wanted to go then I don't think there's much we could do.

And today was exactly the type of game that he didn't tend to fancy - the type that gave the haters the ammunition.

Seem to recall him scoring some away at Livi? This chat about no fancying games has just grown arms and legs. It is far lazier than Dom ever was!

adhibs
13-02-2016, 08:02 PM
His lack of control when clear in tue box in the first half was shocking. Poor decision sacrificing stokes scoring threat to fit dagnall in.

blackpoolhibs
13-02-2016, 08:02 PM
I thought Dagnall was very good in the semi final. :confused:

Pretty Boy
13-02-2016, 08:04 PM
I think it's going to be relevant though so it will be discussed as the season goes on.

The fact was we let him go when under contract.

I think that was a mistake and he would have played a role. Doesn't help when Dagnall and Keatings are going for so many games without scoring.

Malonga's record for us was above average. That's what matters.

I would have kept Dom, although not against his wishes.

And I agree it's relevant but that's football, players move on and unfortunately at times that aren't always ideal.

Smartie
13-02-2016, 08:05 PM
Seem to recall him scoring some away at Livi? This chat about no fancying games has just grown arms and legs. It is far lazier than Dom ever was!

I loved Dom and thought he was superb. If there was any chance of us keeping him we should have pulled out all the stops to do so and I'd be gutted if there was any suggestion that Hibs didn't.

I didn't think he was lazy, he had a deceptive body language that made it look like he was lazy.

But there were times when he simply didn't fancy it imo. And more often than not it was during games like tonight's so I find it unfair to use this as a stick to beat Dagnall after a poor performance.

Ronniekirk
13-02-2016, 08:05 PM
Poor game tonight and still hasn't scored which we need our strikers to do , but neither stokes or Cummings scored either Don't think playing the three of them worked and Stubbs should of acknowledged that sooner and make subs and altered tactics .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gmack7
13-02-2016, 08:07 PM
No worse than the other 2 forwards

Andy74
13-02-2016, 08:09 PM
I loved Dom and thought he was superb. If there was any chance of us keeping him we should have pulled out all the stops to do so and I'd be gutted if there was any suggestion that Hibs didn't.

I didn't think he was lazy, he had a deceptive body language that made it look like he was lazy.

But there were times when he simply didn't fancy it imo. And more often than not it was during games like tonight's so I find it unfair to use this as a stick to beat Dagnall after a poor performance.

I like Dagnall but needs a goal. Other strikers have been criticised far more for going that length without one but I think he is still appreciated for his all round play at the moment.

Smartie
13-02-2016, 08:14 PM
I like Dagnall but needs a goal. Other strikers have been criticised far more for going that length without one but I think he is still appreciated for his all round play at the moment.

I'm a bit more concerned that I don't really see Cummings and Stokes hitting it off together.

They are both mainly goalscorers and whilst their all round play is ok I don't think you play 2 of them together.

Either of them would be better with a Dagnall figure. I couldn't care less if Dagnall never scored a goal for us as long as the team wins. Having him in the team for his all-round play with either Stokes or Cummings getting the goals would do me.

Playing the 3 of them didn't work at all either imo.

Tyler Durden
The reason Dagnall is getting the focus tonight is that he had 2 very good chances and failed to get a shot on target.

Showed up well in his first few games but early evidence suggests finishing is not his strong point. Hopefully just a case of getting the first goal and confidence rises but currently I'd start Keatings ahead of him

RedHibby
No worse than the other 2 forwards

Spot on.

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-02-2016, 08:15 PM
I like him.

"The haters", do me a favour eh.

Malongoals
13-02-2016, 08:16 PM
Spot on.

Cummings and Stokes played poorly tonight, however they are proven. Dagnall isn't, and for me him running about the place and closing defenders down doesn't cut it, he has to finish. In the semi-final he had two good chances, tonight he had two good chances. They need to be taken

Malongoals
13-02-2016, 08:19 PM
I'm by no means a 'hater', nor am I someone to scapegoat individual players. I would love Dagnall to score the winner against Hearts on Tuesday and make me look like a prat.

Voicing my concerns isn't me being deliberately negative, I'm still delighted with Hibs (on and off the pitch) right now and I'm confident we can put in a much better performance in three days time

Spike Mandela
13-02-2016, 08:36 PM
He appeared to be playing in positions I always envisaged Stokesx playing in. Stokes was far too deep for me.

crash
13-02-2016, 08:45 PM
I like Dagnall, he had a poor game tonight but in the other games I've seen him play he's done really well and been unlucky not to score.

I think he works better with Cummings than Stokes does, so far.
Hes been poor, never looked like scoring,and as for working with Cummings,Cummings is too immature in his development to form a partnership with anyone.

Billy Whizz
13-02-2016, 08:53 PM
I hope he starts on Tuesday

Sammy7nil
13-02-2016, 08:58 PM
I hope he starts on Tuesday

So does Robbie Neilson :greengrin

Smartie
13-02-2016, 09:10 PM
"The haters", do me a favour eh.

What exactly is your problem with that?

Malonga polarised opinion - I loved him, there were many who didn't.

Because I loved him I found it frustrating when he put in exactly the kind of performance that (almost) gave credibility to those who tended to get on his back.

It's a criticism of people who didn't appreciate one of the most talented players we've had in years.

1987kev
13-02-2016, 09:14 PM
Nobody gets pass marks from tonight

hibsbollah
13-02-2016, 09:16 PM

Bartley was very good, nobody else was.

I like Dagnall but he gave away possession so easily tonight again and again. Saying that, I have a wee feeling he'll score in the derby .

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-02-2016, 09:16 PM
What exactly is your problem with that?

Malonga polarised opinion - I loved him, there were many who didn't.

Because I loved him I found it frustrating when he put in exactly the kind of performance that (almost) gave credibility to those who tended to get on his back.

It's a criticism of people who didn't appreciate one of the most talented players we've had in years.

Its a crap Americanism from the same mould as "my bad".

Smartie
13-02-2016, 09:17 PM
Its a crap Americanism from the same mould as "my bad".

My bad. I won't use it again.

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-02-2016, 09:19 PM
My bad. I won't use it again.

You're too funny for me.

truehibernian
13-02-2016, 09:21 PM

Maybe not result wise but the players showed effort and didn't let heads drop. Hanlon was my man of the match. McGinn constantly showing desire to make things happen, and Lewis's fitness is extraordinary - didn't think he played badly.

Gray, McGregor and Bartley were poor today - always needing an extra touch and poor awareness of opponents snapping away at them.

Sammy7nil
13-02-2016, 09:23 PM
Maybe not result wise but the players showed effort and didn't let heads drop. Hanlon was my man of the match. McGinn constantly showing desire to make things happen, and Lewis's fitness is extraordinary - didn't think he played badly.

Gray, McGregor and Bartley were poor today - always needing an extra touch and poor awareness of opponents snapping away at them.

I thought Bartley got pass mmarks and was one of the better players

Smartie
13-02-2016, 09:25 PM

I thought McGregor was ok and Bartley played well.

Gray was poor but most of his problems came trying to control balls hammered at him at pace on a dodgy surface.

Cummings, Stokes and Dagnall were our weakest players today but again, it can't have been easy trying to create on that surface.

truehibernian
13-02-2016, 09:29 PM
I thought Bartley got pass mmarks and was one of the better players

He dug in sammy I'll agree on that - too often paused and was caught or having to take evasive action. I honestly don't think the formation and selection helped. We too often played square and slowly giving Livi ideal opportunity to reform into solid banks of 4 and 5.

I thought tonight would be ideal for Martin Boyle - pitch was going to be unpredictable but often slick - could have done with his pace to get in behind the full backs as Gray always had to cut back on himself and go infield looking for a pass that was on.

hibsbollah
13-02-2016, 09:29 PM

Bartley poor?
Baffled :dunno:

Jonnyboy
13-02-2016, 09:31 PM
Bartley poor?
Baffled :dunno:

Me too

Smartie
13-02-2016, 09:32 PM
He dug in sammy I'll agree on that - too often paused and was caught or having to take evasive action. I honestly don't think the formation and selection helped. We too often played square and slowly giving Livi ideal opportunity to reform into solid banks of 4 and 5.

I thought tonight would be ideal for Martin Boyle - pitch was going to be unpredictable but often slick - could have done with his pace to get in behind the full backs as Gray always had to cut back on himself and go infield looking for a pass that was on.

I agree - we missed a trick there.

The skiddy pitch will have been tricky for their defenders too. Boyle would have caused a bit more panic, would hopefully have forced as well as capitalised on mistakes.

Billy Whizz
13-02-2016, 09:34 PM
Me too

Think he was good 1st half, pretty quiet in the 2nd. We needed someone to drive the midfield forward and create space, we didn't have that player with Dylan and Fraser injured

madabouthibs
13-02-2016, 09:38 PM
The surface seemed to be more slushy than skiddy. Ball was being held up a bit if it was blootered along the ground.

truehibernian
13-02-2016, 09:39 PM
Me too

He broke up play a few times which was important but I was disappointed in his passing tonight JB (and bollah) - a few under hit or never on and he got caught in possession a few times. As I say though I don't think the set up helped him tonight - I don't think any players failed in effort or commitment tonight though. I think a combo of games catching up, horrible surface/snow and eye on Tuesday and the final also played a part.

Jonnyboy
13-02-2016, 09:42 PM
He broke up play a few times which was important but I was disappointed in his passing tonight JB (and bollah) - a few under hit or never on and he got caught in possession a few times. As I say though I don't think the set up helped him tonight - I don't think any players failed in effort or commitment tonight though. I think a combo of games catching up, horrible surface/snow and eye on Tuesday and the final also played a part.

I think this whole thing kinda sums up the fact that we might all have been at the same match but we saw things differently :greengrin

I thought Bartley was our best player, others don't. I thought Stokes did the square root of nothing, others don't. I thought McGregor and Hanlon were fine, others don't. I thought McGinn had his worst 90 minutes in a Hibs jersey, others don't

As Jimmy Greaves used to say "It's a funny old game"

Smartie
13-02-2016, 09:44 PM
The surface seemed to be more slushy than skiddy. Ball was being held up a bit if it was blootered along the ground.

It held up when we passed it short and skidded when we hit it long.

The nightmare combination for creating chances.

Billy Whizz
13-02-2016, 09:50 PM
I think this whole thing kinda sums up the fact that we might all have been at the same match but we saw things differently :greengrin

I thought Bartley was our best player, others don't. I thought Stokes did the square root of nothing, others don't. I thought McGregor and Hanlon were fine, others don't. I thought McGinn had his worst 90 minutes in a Hibs jersey, others don't

As Jimmy Greaves used to say "It's a funny old game"

Can't disagree with most of your points😄

adhibs
13-02-2016, 10:37 PM

says it all about tonight when a center backs being singled out for praise against a team 2nd bottom.

Albanian Hibs
14-02-2016, 08:14 AM
No worse than Cummings or Stokes

patlowe
14-02-2016, 09:19 AM
He doesn't strike me as a natural goalscorer but it's very early days and you would say the same of Stokes in the last two games if you didn't know any different. Hopefully he gets a goal soon.

hibby6270
14-02-2016, 04:08 PM
No worse than Cummings or Stokes

On the night - true - but they have both proven themselves previously. Dagnall has yet to do that. Needs a goal or a convincing display to prove himself.