PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne Derby.

blackpoolhibs
13-02-2016, 09:32 AM
Have to say from the start, i have watched very little in the past of Australian football. Yet i switched this game today on at half time, and the quality is very good, well worth the watch.

It looks like its come a long way from the early days of signing clapped out old Scottish players, and non league dross from the pub leagues in England. :wink:

Sproule Three
13-02-2016, 09:36 AM
Have to say from the start, i have watched very little in the past of Australian football. Yet i switched this game today on at half time, and the quality is very good, well worth the watch.

It looks like its come a long way from the early days of signing clapped out old Scottish players, and non league dross from the pub leagues in England. :wink:

First half was much better .
Was a good game though .
Sydney derby next week - buzzing atmosphere at that one .
I'll be there hoping for a Hibs and Sydney Derby double week

aussie_hibee
13-02-2016, 09:39 AM
A lot better than its given credit for as are many leagues around the world, with the main reason people are watching barca week in week out and compare everything to them.

It's a different style, dictated a lot by the weather but also due to the multicultural society throughout football over here which gives us a great blend of many different styles.

Sport is also looked upon in a different light over here compared to Scotland, where money is spread across the board a lot more evenly, there is a salary cap and development runs right from grass roots all the way up. There are also things such as the AIS for those players that can make the next step.

Also add to that the number of players hat have been produced and went to Europe, if they had stayed (logistically it will never happen) the standard would be even higher.

We are definitely heading in the right direction although the distance between cities will always be a limit on the league.

Mr White
13-02-2016, 09:47 AM
Ive enjoyed watching a few brisbane roar games on bt. Often quite high scoring games in the a-league and it's a welcome bonus when up at 6am with the kids.

Steve-O
13-02-2016, 10:05 AM
Was a pretty good game :agree:

Hillsidehibby
13-02-2016, 10:36 AM
I lived in Aus 80's when "soccer" barely made the newspapers. Good to see things can change.

Albanian Hibs
13-02-2016, 10:36 AM
Thoroughly enjoyed that this morning, standard higher than I thought it would be

Mr White
14-02-2016, 06:35 AM
I see wellington phoenix are 4 up away to west sydney wanderers. Bit of a surprise that!

Steve-O
14-02-2016, 08:41 AM
Phoenix win 5-2 away from home, remarkable stuff! 4 goals for one player too, first time in the club's history.

Mr White
14-02-2016, 09:03 AM
Phoenix win 5-2 away from home, remarkable stuff! 4 goals for one player too, first time in the club's history.

And another 5 goals in the ccm v adelaide game too. Quite a high scoring weekend down under.

ChilliEater
14-02-2016, 11:42 AM
It's usually decent entertainment and the standard is improving. Basing things on the large number of players that have played in both Scotland and the A-league, I'd say Scotland is a higher standard - those players generally seem to have a bigger impact here than in Scotland - but there is a lot to like about how it's done here.

Forza Fred
15-02-2016, 10:14 AM
We had a game delayed for three hours this Sunday due to heat....never experienced that in Scotland.

I have followed the fitba here since very early 80's and even had radio spots and wrote for a couple of rags.....the A League's exposure reaches mainstream punters, but in all honesty the quality of players produced does not match what used to be in the old NSL.

I put this down to decision when A League first formed a decision wa made for cost saving
Purposes NOT to continue with a national youth league.

I predicted at the time that the effects of this would take about 10 years to show up, and I don't think there is any doubt the national team's best days are behind it...Asian Cup win excepted.

They have now reversed that decision but again, it will be several years for the end product to get to the levels of before.

In summary.....the A League has been fine at club level......but not necessarily so for international level....which is very important down here.

Dav1986
15-02-2016, 10:56 AM
I enjoy watching them a league in their morning before work. Defensively I don't think they teams are that great but that guarantees goals and entertainment. Found myself rooting for Melbourne city this year as enjoy their way they just continue to attack. Lost their way a bit recently but this they have a chance of winning it with them firepower that they have.