PDA

View Full Version : Terry Butcher

12-02-2016, 12:02 AM
GTF. you put us to the absolute lowest this club has ever been.

That is all.

spudhib
12-02-2016, 05:43 AM
Really think we should be letting the Butcher/Malpas hate go especially now there's a lot of positivity around the club,yes we won't forget what happened but hopefully it's now a case of onwards and upwards.

MWHIBBIES
12-02-2016, 06:10 AM
He is the reason we had to go to Central Park last season, that alone will make me hate him until my last breath.

KWJ
12-02-2016, 06:49 AM
The club was at a rather lower point in 1990.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKddRTvnS1k

If we can get through that then getting the Terry Butcher months are water off a ducks back in terms of our club's history.

And hell, if it weren't for his utter ineptness I'm not sure Leeann would've had the time to rebuild along with Stubbs, Mathie and Craig. Certainly not as well as they have done.

hibbymick
12-02-2016, 06:57 AM
I'm just glad Stubbs didn't know the full picture before deciding to come to Hibs...Well done Petrie.

Colr
12-02-2016, 07:11 AM
I'm just glad Stubbs didn't know the full picture before deciding to come to Hibs...Well done Petrie.

Maybe it needed the butcher experience to persuade Rod to step to one side and get Leanne in. Maybe we needed a low to persuade those at the top that a change in approach was required.

lyonhibs
12-02-2016, 07:46 AM
Maybe it needed the butcher experience to persuade Rod to step to one side and get Leanne in. Maybe we needed a low to persuade those at the top that a change in approach was required.

:agree: :agree:

The good thing about plummeting to rock bottom at record speed is that it removed the lingering fear of the same happening in a slow, decaying fashion.

KeithTheHibby
12-02-2016, 07:46 AM

Leanne Dempster and George Craig were coming in to the club anyway and the whole structure was changing regardless of manager. Butcher and Malpas, being the dinosaurs they are wouldn't have lasted under the new regime anyway and would have been punted regardless.

Onceinawhile
12-02-2016, 07:58 AM

The night is darkest before the dawn - batman

stoneyburn hibs
12-02-2016, 08:00 AM
Why start the thread ?

J-C
12-02-2016, 08:09 AM
Leanne Dempster and George Craig were coming in to the club anyway and the whole structure was changing regardless of manager. Butcher and Malpas, being the dinosaurs they are wouldn't have lasted under the new regime anyway and would have been punted regardless.

:agree::top marksThis

There was going to be a clearout, LD had a vision for the club and Butcher was not part of that, we didn't have to be relegated for all this to happen.

TrinityHibs
12-02-2016, 08:44 AM
Why start the thread ?

The timing of the post might give a hint

HibbySpurs
12-02-2016, 09:23 AM

This (sadly), sometimes you need to hit rock bottom before you even begin to climb back.....

"The darkest hour is just before the dawn"

GGTTH

Steve20
12-02-2016, 09:32 AM
The club was at a rather lower point in 1990.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKddRTvnS1k

If we can get through that then getting the Terry Butcher months are water off a ducks back in terms of our club's history.

And hell, if it weren't for his utter ineptness I'm not sure Leeann would've had the time to rebuild along with Stubbs, Mathie and Craig. Certainly not as well as they have done.

Until we're out of the second tier, we can't say any rebuilding has been an overall success. Only when we're back winning games in the top division can such a claim hold up.

NORTHERNHIBBY
12-02-2016, 10:57 AM
The chorus from " Frozen".

jacomo
12-02-2016, 11:27 AM

For sure. Butcher was on a 3 year deal or something, wasn't he?

Smartie
12-02-2016, 11:30 AM
The chorus from " Frozen".

Hearing that chorus has a similar effect on me to hearing the phrase "Butcher and Malpas".

Argylehibby
12-02-2016, 11:55 AM

:agree: It was the new regime that punted them based as much on their (lack of) vision for the future as their lack of success in the past.

Beefster
12-02-2016, 12:42 PM

I used to like that Batman but he made a proper chump of himself when he came out with that myth.

CraigHibee
12-02-2016, 12:44 PM
The timing of the post might give a hint

wonder if he had a chaser with that pint :wink:

Mikeystewart
12-02-2016, 01:21 PM

That is all.

In hindsight he was the best appoint Hibs have made in years, his ineptitude kick started the complete restructuring of the club and football department. I firmly believe the malaise would have continued had we stayed up.

BoomtownHibees
12-02-2016, 01:25 PM
In hindsight he was the best appoint Hibs have made in years, his ineptitude kick started the complete restructuring of the club and football department. I firmly believe the malaise would have continued had we stayed up.

Even with LD in charge?

Hibernia&Alba
12-02-2016, 02:15 PM

You're certainly a glass half full person, mate. Positive thinking taken to the limit there :greengrin

By the way, Butcher is a ****

Edson Arantes
12-02-2016, 05:00 PM
I personally will never forgive Butcher.:giruy2:

Smartie
12-02-2016, 05:14 PM
Ok, fair enough, I do understand all the animosity towards Butcher - he was the man in charge when we went down, he relegated us and had a large role to play in leaving us in the Championship.

But I think to blame it all on him, to make him a hate figure massively misses the point. The club was an utter shambles. Petrie was a shambles. The transfer policy was a shambles. The communication with the fans was a shambles. The managers who were in position prior to Butcher taking over were a shambles. The first team squad was a shambles. The youth coaching was a shambles. And so it goes on…….

It's gone, it's been done, we've moved on. Yes, we have a far better manager. But how do you think Stubbs would have got on if he'd joined when Butcher did? If he'd been told to get rid of players before he could get anyone else in in that January window? If he was scrambling around trying to get loan signings on the last day of the window? Would he have got goals out of Rowan Vine and James Collins? Would he have made Michael Nelson and Ryan McGivern play better? Possibly. Possibly not. He himself has said that he might not have taken on the job if he'd have known how much of a basket case we were. At least he had a (relatively) blank canvas to work with.

There have been massive changes from top to bottom in our club, all for the better. Yes, we have a great manager but the way we are now set up (I would hope) any decent manager should be able to come in and do well.

Having a good manager is important, of course it is. But it is not the be all and end all when it comes to having a successful club. And we have got on a few managers' backs over the pst 10 years - was it really their fault?

Butcher was a catastrophic failure at Hibs. But his time at Hibs - as has been alluded to above - can be turned into a bizarre positive if we choose to learn lessons from it.

If not….

Pete
12-02-2016, 05:22 PM
Ok, fair enough, I do understand all the animosity towards Butcher - he was the man in charge when we went down, he relegated us and had a large role to play in leaving us in the Championship.

But I think to blame it all on him, to make him a hate figure massively misses the point. The club was an utter shambles. Petrie was a shambles. The transfer policy was a shambles. The communication with the fans was a shambles. The managers who were in position prior to Butcher taking over were a shambles. The first team squad was a shambles. The youth coaching was a shambles. And so it goes on…….

It's gone, it's been done, we've moved on. Yes, we have a far better manager. But how do you think Stubbs would have got on if he'd joined when Butcher did? If he'd been told to get rid of players before he could get anyone else in in that January window? If he was scrambling around trying to get loan signings on the last day of the window? Would he have got goals out of Rowan Vine and James Collins? Would he have made Michael Nelson and Ryan McGivern play better? Possibly. Possibly not. He himself has said that he might not have taken on the job if he'd have known how much of a basket case we were. At least he had a (relatively) blank canvas to work with.

There have been massive changes from top to bottom in our club, all for the better. Yes, we have a great manager but the way we are now set up (I would hope) any decent manager should be able to come in and do well.

Having a good manager is important, of course it is. But it is not the be all and end all when it comes to having a successful club. And we have got on a few managers' backs over the pst 10 years - was it really their fault?

Butcher was a catastrophic failure at Hibs. But his time at Hibs - as has been alluded to above - can be turned into a bizarre positive if we choose to learn lessons from it.

If not….

:agree:

Not sure anything more needs to be added after that.

Mikeystewart
12-02-2016, 05:22 PM
You're certainly a glass half full person, mate. Positive thinking taken to the limit there :greengrin

By the way, Butcher is a ****

I certainly am and I completely agree with your final point. Like others have said I don't believe our downfall was all down to one man. Many managers players and background staff contributed to ultimate relegation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CockneyRebel
12-02-2016, 05:26 PM

I thought it was the Mamas and the Papas.

jacomo
12-02-2016, 06:02 PM

Not sure anything more needs to be added after that.

Agreed. Bang on the money.

Viva_Palmeiras
12-02-2016, 06:46 PM

That is all.

Sorry did I miss something - why the resurrection ?
I'm sure it's something that might preoccupy our pink city dwellers but for us why not go out and do something less boring instead?

heidtheba
12-02-2016, 07:00 PM
:agree: :agree:

The good thing about plummeting to rock bottom at record speed is that it removed the lingering fear of the same happening in a slow, decaying fashion.

Lol I see what you did there. Brilliant! Was thinking the same thing myself! What kind of philosophical footballing genuis could make a parallel in the game itself I wonder...:greengrin

Northernhibee
12-02-2016, 07:52 PM
I don't feel that angry towards TB anymore, I feel pity for him and Malpas. Two men with undoubtable charisma and experience in the game who if they'd progressed with the times on how to manage people and the technology available could still have had a lot of good knowledge and advice to pass onto the youngsters in the game.

As it is by standing still that knowledge and experience has gone to waste and a talented player in his day is now seen as a laughing stock and a failure by us, by a few other teams and most recently by Newport.

jacomo
12-02-2016, 08:01 PM
I don't feel that angry towards TB anymore, I feel pity for him and Malpas. Two men with undoubtable charisma and experience in the game who if they'd progressed with the times on how to manage people and the technology available could still have had a lot of good knowledge and advice to pass onto the youngsters in the game.

As it is by standing still that knowledge and experience has gone to waste and a talented player in his day is now seen as a laughing stock and a failure by us, by a few other teams and most recently by Newport.

You are more forgiving than me on this one.

I still cannot believe Butcher took a pay off from Hibs. If he had any decency or integrity he would have walked the day we got relegated.

I accept there was a deep-seated malaise at Hibs that set in long before he arrived, but to get us relegated from the position we were in when he arrived? Simply inept.

Hibernia&Alba
12-02-2016, 08:17 PM

I still cannot believe Butcher took a pay off from Hibs. If he had any decency or integrity he would have walked the day we got relegated.

I accept there was a deep-seated malaise at Hibs that set in long before he arrived, but to get us relegated from the position we were in when he arrived? Simply inept.

Yes, it still rankles. It was almost impossible to be relegated from the position he started, yet he managed it. 'Worse than Calderwood'; that's Butcher's Hibs epitaph for me.

Northernhibee
12-02-2016, 08:19 PM

I don't want to be angry about Hibs anymore so tbh I think it's time to let the past go and as good as forget about it as we can. Plenty in the future to look forward to under Leeann, Stubbsy and co :flag: