PDA

View Full Version : Paul Hanlon contract

MagicSwirlingShip
10-02-2016, 07:32 PM
Not seen it highlighted on the forum anywhere else, so apologies If I'm going over old ground.

Am I right in thinking his contract is up at the end of the season and he could realistically leave us for Zip?

He has been one of our best performers this season, and with the amount of scouts at Easter Road every fortnight I would be suprised if that has went unnoticed.

We really need to tie him down on a new deal, and pronto.

Smartie
10-02-2016, 07:37 PM
Not seen it highlighted on the forum anywhere else, so apologies If I'm going over old ground.

Am I right in thinking his contract is up at the end of the season and he could realistically leave us for Zip?

He has been one of our best performers this season, and with the amount of scouts at Easter Road every fortnight I would be suprised if that has went unnoticed.

I agree, but……..

If you were Paul would you tie yourself to a club who might be playing in the Scottish Championship next season? His bargaining position would be stronger if he was unattached. He has already given us a sterling couple of seasons at this lower level - his career is being held back by playing at this level - would he really want to play at this level any longer? I wouldn't if I were him.

I reckon he'll be one of the player who would be only too happy to commit to staying longer, but only if we are promoted.

Brightside
10-02-2016, 07:37 PM

Yes.

HappyHanlon
10-02-2016, 08:12 PM
Get him signed up and ASAP

erin go bragh
10-02-2016, 08:16 PM
A testimonial should be agreed with his new contract ( must be close to 10 years )

GGTTH

FromTheCapital
10-02-2016, 08:28 PM
If Paul Hanlon doesn't sign a new deal and leave us for nothing then that really is a massive failure by the football club.
Obviously, we don't know if talks are ongoing behind the scenes but Paul is a massive Hibby and is a guy who happily commit his future to the club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MagicSwirlingShip
10-02-2016, 08:42 PM
I agree, but……..

If you were Paul would you tie yourself to a club who might be playing in the Scottish Championship next season? His bargaining position would be stronger if he was unattached. He has already given us a sterling couple of seasons at this lower level - his career is being held back by playing at this level - would he really want to play at this level any longer? I wouldn't if I were him.

I reckon he'll be one of the player who would be only too happy to commit to staying longer, but only if we are promoted.

I see where you're coming from. He has given us two years of good service in the Championship when I understand he had been told he could leave by Butcher.

It reeks of the Riordan scenario a wee bit to be honest, would be gutted to see him leave but I suppose I wouldn't grudge him a move down south. I honestly think he could do a job for a League 1/Championship side.

But he would be a big miss and I've always thought of him as a possible lifelong Hibby like Lewis

Smartie
10-02-2016, 09:08 PM
I see where you're coming from. He has given us two years of good service in the Championship when I understand he had been told he could leave by Butcher.

It reeks of the Riordan scenario a wee bit to be honest, would be gutted to see him leave but I suppose I wouldn't grudge him a move down south. I honestly think he could do a job for a League 1/Championship side.

But he would be a big miss and I've always thought of him as a possible lifelong Hibby like Lewis

It's one of the reasons why we HAVE to go up.

We have too many players who are just too good to be playing in the Championship and need to be playing at a higher level.

I'm sure they would all be happy to commit and have a crack at the Scottish Premier League before possibly moving on.

If we don't go up then it will be back to the drawing board with the squad, albeit it will be easier to win without a Hearts or Rangers in there.

All these cup derbies and League cup finals are fun but our main priority lies elsewhere this season.

All the more reason why we need 3 points from a tricky game this weekend.

Andy74
10-02-2016, 09:09 PM
If Paul Hanlon doesn't sign a new deal and leave us for nothing then that really is a massive failure by the football club.
Obviously, we don't know if talks are ongoing behind the scenes but Paul is a massive Hibby and is a guy who happily commit his future to the club.

Come on now. Are you suggesting he would just sign any contract?

Benny Brazil
10-02-2016, 09:12 PM
I would be surprised if talks haven't already taken place - would think maybe the club are waiting to get this next week out of the way and then we may hear something

HoboHarry
10-02-2016, 09:16 PM

No it isn't. He could be being offered much more money elsewhere. Do you know that he isn't?

FromTheCapital
10-02-2016, 09:17 PM
Come on now. Are you suggesting he would just sign any contract?

That's not what I mean, Andy. Probably should've made it more clear on my behalf. Contract would obviously have to meet Paul's requirements but he would be happy to stay is what I'm getting at :aok

FromTheCapital
10-02-2016, 09:18 PM
No it isn't. He could be being offered much more money elsewhere. Do you know that he isn't?

See my reply to Andy74 mate, first post was unclear. Deal would have to be right for both parties but he would sign the dotted line if it was.

3pm
10-02-2016, 09:27 PM
What happened to the 3 year deal he was meant to be signing?

Michael
10-02-2016, 09:31 PM
Here's what he had to say about it in December: http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/paul-hanlon-would-be-happy-to-play-his-whole-career-at-hibs-1-3975548

Pasted:

Paul Hanlon hopes to extend his long stay at Hibs beyond the end of this season.

The 25-year-old defender, who is out of contract this summer, said: “I would be keen to stay. This is the club I supported as a boy and the way it is just now, I love being here. I have thought about the possibility of being a one-club man. If it came to it and I had to move on, I’d be open to trying something new, but if I finish my career here having played hundreds of games for Hibs, I’ll be proud of that.”

Hanlon is currently in uncharted territory as he has previously always had the security of long-term contracts. “It’s quite weird because it’s the first time I’ve been in this position,” he said. “When I was younger I got a five-year contract and then a few years into that, I got a new five-and-a-half-year so I’ve never been a position when it was getting close to expiring.

“There’s obviously a bit of pressure because you want to do enough to earn a new contract. I suppose there is a bit anxiety about it, but I’m certainly not at the panic situation yet. It’s more my girlfriend and my family that are wondering what’s going to happen, but I’m quite relaxed about it.”

Hanlon says there have been no discussions about a new deal yet, but he is optimistic his excellent form for Hibs this season will count in his favour. He said: “We’ve not had any talks – it’s still quite early for that. We’ve got to concentrate on getting promoted first and then we can take it from there. I’m not one to go knocking on the manager’s door and pushing things.

“I would rather just concentrate on playing football. I believe that I’m a good enough footballer to let my ability do the talking. The manager’s been playing me every week, so hopefully if I keep doing well enough to stay in the team, that will earn me a new contract.”

MagicSwirlingShip
10-02-2016, 09:41 PM
That is reassuring. Had never seen that article before so thanks for posting.

You would have never seen others who have left us on Bosmans - Riordan, Murray, Caldwell eg - come out with quotes like that, so I'm quite confident he will be here next season now.

StevieBoyKdy
10-02-2016, 10:00 PM
Most improved player under Stubbs imo has really turned into a real leader. Demands the ball and bulked up physically. 4 year contract please.

doddsy
10-02-2016, 10:07 PM

Spot on. Paul Hanlon was Liverpool bound at one point. They had scouts up to see him a few years ago. Quoted as the next Alan Hansen. He is a lovely man and a great professional, keep it going Paul. :not worth

jacomo
10-02-2016, 10:57 PM
Sign him up. Forever.

:greengrin

Andy74
10-02-2016, 11:01 PM
That's not what I mean, Andy. Probably should've made it more clear on my behalf. Contract would obviously have to meet Paul's requirements but he would be happy to stay is what I'm getting at :aok

Yeah but you are suggesting it would be a massive failure by the club if they don't get him to sign. You are now saying they would have to meet his requirements.

That's really the crux of contract talks isn't it?

Halifaxhibby
11-02-2016, 12:09 AM
He's a good lad on and off the pitch. Like lewis. Been harshly criticised when playing in a crap team as has lewis. Pair of them play for the jersey and we need players like that in the team. Especially in derbies. Thats why the poppy thieves have had the edge in recent years. They have players in the team or management who know how important it is....deeks goc fletch thomson murray had that fight which we have lacked for years. Massive player now he has that support and confidence back. He will just get better under stubbsy. Anyone there n sunday could see how much that goal meant to him and the team.
GGTTH
FTHMFC

FromTheCapital
11-02-2016, 07:07 AM
Yeah but you are suggesting it would be a massive failure by the club if they don't get him to sign. You are now saying they would have to meet his requirements.

That's really the crux of contract talks isn't it?

I was more leaning towards the fact that if we lost him without offering a new deal at all to be honest bud.

The Harp Awakes
11-02-2016, 07:23 AM
Paul must be loving the positive atmosphere on and off the pitch at the Club just now, having endured the low points over recent years. His attitude on the pitch and goal celebration on Sunday tells me he'll be here beyond the end of the season.

Big_Franck
11-02-2016, 07:34 AM
Thanks for posting that article up. I'm both surprised and disappointed that by December we still hadn't spoken to him about a new contract.

I've not always been Hanlon's biggest fan in the past but he has been immense this season and is one of our most important players.

Interesting that his best run of form has coincided with him being in the last year of his contract. At times I don't think the security of 4/5 year deals do the development of our young players any good at all.

J-C
11-02-2016, 08:28 AM
Very surprised Paul hasn't been offered a new deal like Lewis, he's Hibs through and through and even though I've criticised him in the past, his improvement this past year or so has made him one of the first names on the team sheet. A contract could be offered with a simple clause put in when we get promotion to make his wages Premier league status.

scoopyboy
11-02-2016, 08:33 AM

He would gladly sign a new deal if it was acceptable to him.

He gets married in the close season and would like his immediate future sorted out before then.

There is however a doubt over what league we will be in and this could delay a deal.

Brightside
11-02-2016, 08:49 AM
Thanks for posting that article up. I'm both surprised and disappointed that by December we still hadn't spoken to him about a new contract.

I've not always been Hanlon's biggest fan in the past but he has been immense this season and is one of our most important players.

Interesting that his best run of form has coincided with him being in the last year of his contract. At times I don't think the security of 4/5 year deals do the development of our young players any good at all.

There has been plenty chat.

J-C
11-02-2016, 09:18 AM
He would gladly sign a new deal if it was acceptable to him.

He gets married in the close season and would like his immediate future sorted out before then.

There is however a doubt over what league we will be in and this could delay a deal.

That's why I don't understand why they can't offer him a deal with a wage rise clause added if/when we get promotion.

DirtyDeeds
11-02-2016, 09:49 AM
That's why I don't understand why they can't offer him a deal with a wage rise clause added if/when we get promotion.

I would imagine his concern is commiting to a club potentially still in the Championship next year, rather than the terms of any deal. His appeal to clubs down south would be based on him being a free agent, still not sure many would spring for a fee for a guy who's taken until he was 24/25 to show consistently accomplished performances at Prem/Champ level.

JimBHibees
11-02-2016, 09:52 AM

Would he sign it if we end up in the championship.

J-C
11-02-2016, 10:11 AM
Would he sign it if we end up in the championship.

Going by the quotes in a previous post I'd say he would, obviously we don't know what stage any negotiations are at but I'm surprised nothing has been done so far.

since90plustwo
11-02-2016, 10:58 AM
Talks are ongoing but i hear we are struggling to give him the £3k hes after.

scoopyboy
11-02-2016, 11:07 AM

And you know that how?

Iceman1875
11-02-2016, 11:13 AM
We need to tie PH down. What a player he has become.

I'm surprised there hasn't been rumours of English championship clubs interested like we have had with JC...

At Easter Road we play...

PatHead
11-02-2016, 11:46 AM
Hibs won't know their budget until we know if they are promoted. Makes it difficult to make offers.

northeast hibby
11-02-2016, 11:51 AM
deserves a testimonial if he signs another long term deal

Brightside
11-02-2016, 12:40 PM

He's not asked for 3k

Lee Marvin
11-02-2016, 12:51 PM

Nice try

kenny.ff
11-02-2016, 01:57 PM
Did i read a while back that he wasnt concerned about the contract talks as he wanted the focus to be on promotion 100%, mabe not but sure i read that somewere. I have no doubt he would love to stay here and thats why nothing has been done yet

jacomo
11-02-2016, 05:43 PM

Oh please. Lame effort.

lucky
11-02-2016, 05:49 PM
Why would PH sign a new contract just now? His next contract is likely to be his biggest. Whilst he's a Hibbie he's got to look after his future. He's clearly good enough to play at a higher level. I would be amazed if his agent has not sounded out English championship/league one teams to see if there is interest. Then there is Celtic, he's better than any of their CHs. So unless Hibs give him a blockbuster long term contract with a testimonial I think he will move on.

DH1875
11-02-2016, 06:12 PM
Apparently Rangers are after him. I take it IF he does sign for another Scottish club we are due a development fee?

Lago
11-02-2016, 06:33 PM
You know, as fans its hard for us to understand why footballers dont sign for our club, and that applies to all clubs. To them its a job of work, admittedly a nice job, but a job non the less and as such they have to maximise their earning potential. Therefore they move to the club offering the best contract. How many of us in our working lives have not done just that, I certainly have on at least 4 occasions all for more money, because I had a family to look after. They are no different it doesn't mean Paul and say Jason don't have an affection for Hibs, but it is a job.

scoopyboy
11-02-2016, 06:36 PM
Why would PH sign a new contract just now? His next contract is likely to be his biggest. Whilst he's a Hibbie he's got to look after his future. He's clearly good enough to play at a higher level. I would be amazed if his agent has not sounded out English championship/league one teams to see if there is interest. Then there is Celtic, he's better than any of their CHs. So unless Hibs give him a blockbuster long term contract with a testimonial I think he will move on.

He would like his future sorted?

He would be happy to stay at Hibs if the deal was right, and by that I'm not meaning a nonsense wage that would be outwith Hibs range.

scoopyboy
11-02-2016, 06:37 PM
Apparently Rangers are after him. I take it IF he does sign for another Scottish club we are due a development fee?

Nope. Too old to get Development fee.

Lago
11-02-2016, 06:37 PM
He would like his future sorted?

He would be happy to stay at Hibs if the deal was right, and by that I'm not meaning a nonsense wage that would be outwith Hibs range.
Thats good to know.

3pm
11-02-2016, 06:44 PM

Wouldn't surprise me.

biffo1875
11-02-2016, 06:46 PM
Thats good to know.

hope all the people on here that want paul hanlon to sign a new contract are not the same people who slaughered the guy over the past few years when he was learning his trade ???ggtth

CapitalGreen
11-02-2016, 06:58 PM
hope all the people on here that want paul hanlon to sign a new contract are not the same people who slaughered the guy over the past few years when he was learning his trade ???ggtth

I hope some of them are, it would mean they have changed their opinion and surely that's a good thing no?

nellio
11-02-2016, 07:15 PM
Imperative we offer him a new deal. Next year if we go up he's exactly the sort of player we need.

Aldo
11-02-2016, 07:56 PM
He would like his future sorted? He would be happy to stay at Hibs if the deal was right, and by that I'm not meaning a nonsense wage that would be outwith Hibs range.

Scoops that's good to know. I know a footballers careers are relatively short so it's important to Paul and for his future.

He deserves a decent contract as he's been a superb servant to the club.

I for one hope he gets what he wants and signs another contract at the club!

kenny.ff
11-02-2016, 08:06 PM
does he have a young family that would make staying in scotland more attractive than a move south? I think if hes to stay in scotland it will be with hibs. Could be wrong thou,

Ronniekirk
11-02-2016, 08:26 PM
Scoops that's good to know. I know a footballers careers are relatively short so it's important to Paul and for his future.

He deserves a decent contract as he's been a superb servant to the club.

I for one hope he gets what he wants and signs another contract at the club!

If Cummings isn't signing his new three year deal then it's a no brainer Paul would be happy with one Maybe as he has indicated he is happy to stay his one is on the back burner now till league cup final out the way so no distractions and keep him at top of his game playing for a new contract ,but am surprised they haven't been negotiating one to be honest Aldo
When your there on Tuesday night you can start a song about it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aldo
11-02-2016, 08:30 PM
If Cummings isn't signing his new three year deal then it's a no brainer Paul would be happy with one Maybe as he has indicated he is happy to stay his one is on the back burner now till league cup final out the way so no distractions and keep him at top of his game playing for a new contract ,but am surprised they haven't been negotiating one to be honest Aldo When your there on Tuesday night you can start a song about it Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hope they both sign contracts Ronnie. As for Tuesday Im somewhere in row GGGGGG of the east S37. I'll start any sort of singing Ronnie as long as we win. (Which we will)

Brightside
11-02-2016, 08:47 PM
I hope they both sign contracts Ronnie. As for Tuesday Im somewhere in row GGGGGG of the east S37. I'll start any sort of singing Ronnie as long as we win. (Which we will)

Just watched the game again. The wonderful thing about Paul Hanlon is his great head of hair...possible one of the few that won't be in for a Stokes anytime soon... KT tho... :greengrin

silverhibee
11-02-2016, 08:55 PM
Nope. Too old to get Development fee.

:hmmm:

Didn't answer the first question. :thumbsup:

Brightside
11-02-2016, 08:58 PM

He is wanted by many...

hfc rd
11-02-2016, 09:00 PM
Really hope we sign him on a new long term deal as he deserves it. First name on the team sheet.

silverhibee
11-02-2016, 09:11 PM
Just watched the game again. The wonderful thing about Paul Hanlon is his great head of hair...possible one of the few that won't be in for a Stokes anytime soon... KT tho... :greengrin

I happened to notice his hair when he was interviewed straight after the game, looked like he had just walked out the hairdressers, good lad so he his.

Would be great if he could arrange terms with Hibs and sign a new contract, but if it isn't right for him and he see's his contract out then i have no problem with that either as he has been a great servant to the club, a model pro.

If I was him I might want to test the water somewhere else to see if he can play a higher level, reads the game well, committed player, likes to play the ball on the deck and under Stubbs and the other coaches he has bulked up his upper body and is no slouch and good in the air as well, these kind of attributes could see him get a move down South to a Championship club, and he would deserve it.

Just my wee thoughts on the lad.

scoopyboy
11-02-2016, 10:32 PM
does he have a young family that would make staying in scotland more attractive than a move south? I think if hes to stay in scotland it will be with hibs. Could be wrong thou,

He has no young family but stays with his girlfriend and they are getting married in the close season.

scoopyboy
11-02-2016, 10:34 PM

I don't think Paul Hanlon will be signing for Rangers.:greengrin