PDA

View Full Version : Would Futsal work in Scotland

Earl of Currie
10-02-2016, 08:04 PM
Was looking at a few videos and articles of Futsal and wondered why this couldn't take off in Scotland.

A number of top teams accredit the skills gained in futsal as being central to the development of the top players as well as it being popular with fans and players alike.

http://www.training4changes.org/index.php/what-is-futsal/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futsal

Would this be an option to develop the players in Scotland as well as being an option for clubs to fill the winter break. Think if done properly this would be more than just a modern day Tennents Sixes.

Be interested to hear the opinions of others.

Smartie
10-02-2016, 08:10 PM
Was looking at a few videos and articles of Futsal and wondered why this couldn't take off in Scotland.

A number of top teams accredit the skills gained in futsal as being central to the development of the top players as well as it being popular with fans and players alike.

http://www.training4changes.org/index.php/what-is-futsal/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futsal

Would this be an option to develop the players in Scotland as well as being an option for clubs to fill the winter break. Think if done properly this would be more than just a modern day Tennents Sixes.

Be interested to hear the opinions of others.

There are a few folk trying to get it off the ground in Scotland - one of my mates in Dundee is really into it.

It's a great game and we should be placing a greater emphasis on it, especially with kids.

With the poor weather and light we have so many months of the year it should be played much more often in halls up and down the country.

As an aside I remember playing 5s with a Spanish guy a few years ago. He point blank refused to hit the ball off the walls because it didn't fit in with the footballing philosophy he picked up playing futsal in Spain. It didn't stop him from being an absolutely fantastic player (I'm pretty sure he played futsal at a semi-pro or pro level over there, which they actually do have).

J-C
10-02-2016, 09:11 PM
Talking about this today, kids nowadays don't play football with tennis balls and small footballs anymore, during break at school we always played with a tennis ball which helped ball skills.

Pretty Boy
10-02-2016, 09:14 PM
It's a great wee game.

I think it's quite popular amongst students and a few Unis run leagues. It would really help kids to develop their skills imo. As pointed out above the days of playing football in the street with tin cans, tennis balls or whatever else are long gone, parents just don't trust the environment we live in anymore and so much football is now played through organised channels. Perhaps fundal could be incorporated into this to rediscover some lost skills?

Ozyhibby
10-02-2016, 09:16 PM
We have a futsal league at world of sport every winter. My lad is playing in it just now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wookie70
10-02-2016, 09:42 PM
Futsal in winter for quite a few teams in the east 7 a sides

bob12345
10-02-2016, 09:51 PM
Futsal is the way forward. The fact Scotland haven't embraced it properly leaves us in the dark ages compared to other countries. It should be mandatory at youth level.

Haymaker
10-02-2016, 09:56 PM
Yes

Also, Euro 2016 Futsal is on Eurosport. Been some bloody good games.

Winston Ingram
10-02-2016, 10:04 PM
The balls are a bit difficult to launch

Smartie
10-02-2016, 10:13 PM
The balls are a bit difficult to launch

I believe Craig Levein is not in favour of it.

NYHibby
11-02-2016, 12:10 AM
I have posted on here before about growing up watching indoor soccer in the US and how I still prefer to watch that game than the outdoor game. I find the faster pace to be more entertaining.

doddsy
11-02-2016, 12:19 AM
I have posted on here before about growing up watching indoor soccer in the US and how I still prefer to watch that game than the outdoor game. I find the faster pace to be more entertaining.

That kind of footy takes away from the art of defending and building forward momentum. I love watching slower paced good passing then a Latapy style through ball that splits the defence with a Keith Wright latching onto it and slotting it home.

Canny be bothered with hundred miles an hour indoor futbolls or whativer ye call it.

Please dont be offended it s just my point of view wi a cuppla voddies thrown in.

:aok:

villager
11-02-2016, 03:22 AM
Futsal is the way forward. The fact Scotland haven't embraced it properly leaves us in the dark ages compared to other countries. It should be mandatory at youth level.

Agreed

villager
11-02-2016, 03:31 AM

Agreed

Forza Fred
11-02-2016, 04:35 AM
Talking about this today, kids nowadays don't play football with tennis balls and small footballs anymore, during break at school we always played with a tennis ball which helped ball skills.

Never helped me.

I'm still crap at tennis :greengrin

Haymaker
11-02-2016, 02:55 PM

:agree: Have said that before, it should be played in schools and youth football.

I use a futsal in training for my U9,10 and 11 groups and **** me can they pass the ball around beautifully since I brought it in.

Loopz
11-02-2016, 06:15 PM
These guys run my sons 2005s winter league in Fife. It's well organised, the kids love it and it's indoors.

http://www.futsalescocia.co.uk/