07-02-2016, 09:35 PM
He was level

JimBHibees
07-02-2016, 09:36 PM
Just off I think.

Billy Whizz
07-02-2016, 09:37 PM
He was level

That's 3 not given in the last few seasons. Griffiths and Forster, and now Cummings

Sammy7nil
Feet onside body offside however Sky have airbrushed it from history. Not even mentioned at ht or ft.

Sir David Gray
A relative was watching it on TV and he text me at the time to say that he was level.

Thecat23
He was level

He wasn't level, he was off.. Just!

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-02-2016, 09:38 PM
2 other players offside, Jason onside, might be my wallet talking though, wouldve got 230 from Marathon if it had been given. Not studied any replays.

Billy Whizz
07-02-2016, 09:38 PM

It was marginal. Thought the benefit was given to the attacker. Would have been given at the other end

Sir David Gray
07-02-2016, 10:00 PM
Looked onside to me from the replay just shown on Sportscene although the commentator stated it was the correct decision to flag for offside.

wookie70
07-02-2016, 10:02 PM
Only parts of the body that you can score with can be offside.His arm was definitely offside but the resty was very close and the angle on TV wasn't conclusive

Hanny

Maybe. Just watched it again on Sportscene and I'm still not convinced.

JimBHibees
That's 3 not given in the last few seasons. Griffiths and Forster, and now Cummings

Was close but offside.

stoneyburn hibs
07-02-2016, 10:04 PM
Looked onside to me from the replay just shown on Sportscene although the commentator stated it was the correct decision to flag for offside.

:agree: He was level with their player, cheated out of another goal against them.

Billy Whizz
07-02-2016, 10:06 PM
Was close but offside.

Unless you are in maroon

McD
07-02-2016, 10:09 PM
He was level.

andy walker came out with some slavers about Cummings was 'leaning offside' :rolleyes:

GreenCastle
07-02-2016, 10:11 PM
onside - simple

Add it to the list of bad ref decisions in a derby - disallowed goals and red cards not given then bans given after..

Tyler Durden
07-02-2016, 10:17 PM
onside - simple

Add it to the list of bad ref decisions in a derby - disallowed goals and red cards not given then bans given after..

We've had plenty bad decisions in derbies but this wasn't one of them.

The rule is that any part of your body you can score with must be in line to be on. Cummings top half was past the Hearts defender, he was clearly offside. Thread title is accurate - Cummings offside goal

Jones28
07-02-2016, 10:22 PM
Felt he was played level by the Hearts players leg that cumming is in front of on the tv, no mention of it on sportscene

Smartie
07-02-2016, 10:23 PM
He was level.

andy walker came out with some slavers about Cummings was 'leaning offside' :rolleyes:

I haven't seen the Sky coverage so I don't know what the context to Walker's comments was but I have issues with Cummings and offside.

There were a few times early in the second half when he was very slow to get back from an offside position. A few times we had possession in deeper areas and when players got their head up to see where he was he was miles offside. Had he got back a bit earlier then they might have been able to play him in.

It's not a major criticism but I think he can improve on this part of his game.

For the goal though imo he was level, therefore onside.

Danderhall Hibs
07-02-2016, 10:28 PM
I think if he had been behind the defender instead of in front of it might have been given onside.

lyonhibs
07-02-2016, 10:29 PM
He was offside guys, calm down.

Great fightback

greenlex
07-02-2016, 10:34 PM
I think if he had been behind the defender instead of in front of it might have been given onside.

This absolutely.

erin go bragh
Baw hair offside . Maybe even half a baw hair :)

GGTTH

Onion
Sometimes get them, sometime not. Not as if he was 2 yards onside, that would never happen.

FitbaFolkKen
07-02-2016, 10:36 PM
Very slightly off, if the defender had been in between him and the linesman we may have got it.

Danderhall Hibs
07-02-2016, 10:37 PM
Very slightly off, if the defender had been in between him and the linesman we may have got it.

That's what I was trying to say!

HibbiesandtheBaddies
07-02-2016, 10:42 PM
He was offside guys, calm down.

Great fightback

I came to the conclusion he was offside after 2 or 3 reruns. That's some linesman that calls it correct first time.......

I reckon he flagged for the other 2 Hibs shirts that were in fact offside, but crucially, not interfering with play.....

FitbaFolkKen
07-02-2016, 10:43 PM
That's what I was trying to say!

Great minds! ;)

JeMeSouviens
07-02-2016, 10:45 PM
Not so sure he is off having just paused it. The angle's not great but JC and the **** look an identical distance from the 6 yard line.

MB62
08-02-2016, 07:18 AM
Not so sure he is off having just paused it. The angle's not great but JC and the **** look an identical distance from the 6 yard line.

At the very moment McGregor hits the ball, J.C. is at least Level and therefore ONSIDE, no Ifs no buts, he is ONSIDE. By the time the ball reaches him he is certainly in an offside position but NOT when the ball is played.
I don't blame the assistant for flagging as it was so close, especially when we can't even agree on here, but it's another one that's got away against them.

He's Jason Cummings, He's Jason Cummings
Jason Cummings scores the goals
When he hears noise
of the Edinburgh Hibees Boys
Jason Cummings scores the goals

DaveF
08-02-2016, 07:58 AM
At the very moment McGregor hits the ball, J.C. is at least Level and therefore ONSIDE, no Ifs no buts, he is ONSIDE. By the time the ball reaches him he is certainly in an offside position but NOT when the ball is played.
I don't blame the assistant for flagging as it was so close, especially when we can't even agree on here, but it's another one that's got away against them.

I'd agree with that. Onside but very difficult for the lino to allow it.

KWJ
08-02-2016, 07:59 AM
We'd have been raging if it'd counted against us.

dangermouse
08-02-2016, 08:13 AM
We'd have been raging if it'd counted against us.

This. Saw the flag go up right away at the game and seeing the replay on Sportscene he was offside.

Smartie
08-02-2016, 08:14 AM
I remember there was a wee test online a few years back where you got the chance to be a linesman. There was a series of short video clips taken from the linesman's perspective and you had to make a decision with the waters sometimes muddied by other players getting in the way, other players not interfering with play, players running in opposite directions etc.

It was f*****g impossible and having tried it I find it a miracle that the linesmen get as many right as they do.

I maintain that Cummings was level and therefore onside. Although I can see why the linesman would have made the decision he did and I don't think we should give him too much grief for it.

Not In The Know
08-02-2016, 08:22 AM

Alfred E Newman
08-02-2016, 08:31 AM
The fact that 2 other Hibs players were in an offside position made it difficult for the linesman. I think Cummings was on but I wouldn't blame the linesman in this instance. There was s similar shout at the other end when the Hearts guy was flagged off but was actually level as well though he didn't score.

Danderhall Hibs
08-02-2016, 09:47 AM
The fact that 2 other Hibs players were in an offside position made it difficult for the linesman. I think Cummings was on but I wouldn't blame the linesman in this instance. There was s similar shout at the other end when the Hearts guy was flagged off but was actually level as well though he didn't score.

I think that's just giving him an excuse - they weren't interfering with play nor were they blocking his view.

bigwheel
08-02-2016, 09:50 AM

to me TV pictures show he was off...close...but clearly offside

Brightside
08-02-2016, 09:52 AM

Feet were level - should always be benefit of doubt with striker.

Craig_HFC
08-02-2016, 09:53 AM
Very marginally offside.

SeanWilson
08-02-2016, 09:58 AM
had this argument with my old man at the time. Feet were on, torso was off. Watched on replay last night and 100% feet are onside... dunno whether his upper body being ahead of the man makes him offside or not though? V difficult decision to make in real time.

Brightside
08-02-2016, 10:18 AM
“nearer to his opponents’ goal line” means that any part of a player’s head,
body or feet is nearer to his opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the
second-last opponent. The arms are not included in this definition.

So id say his head was further forward... Id still have given it. :greengrin

easty
08-02-2016, 11:06 AM
had this argument with my old man at the time. Feet were on, torso was off. Watched on replay last night and 100% feet are onside... dunno whether his upper body being ahead of the man makes him offside or not though? V difficult decision to make in real time.

:agree: any part of the body you can score with.

he was off, close though, and sometimes a striker might get away with it.

MB62
08-02-2016, 11:19 AM
:agree: any part of the body you can score with.

he was off, close though, and sometimes a striker might get away with it.

And that is the whole argument, level is ONSIDE, the strikers are meant to get the benefit of the doubt.

easty
08-02-2016, 11:23 AM
And that is the whole argument, level is ONSIDE, the strikers are meant to get the benefit of the doubt.

He wasn't level, he was leaning forward of the defender, the upper half of his body was ahead, which makes him offside. That's the rules.

basehibby
08-02-2016, 01:48 PM

This is pretty conclusive - a tad off side so the lino got it spot on.

Dashing Bob S
08-02-2016, 01:59 PM
I'm pretty appalled at this - not the decision, probably was offside, but could have gone either way (though not with Hibs and Thomson) but the lack of coverage, replay and discussion.

I thought the purpose of the sports media -as it seems to be in every country bar Scotland- was to look at and analyse the contentious issues in a game. Here, however, we seem reluctant to put referees decision under scrutiny. No wonder - it's corrupt to the core. In any other country the number of Hun penalties would be a major discussion point. Here, nothing.

wookie70
08-02-2016, 02:13 PM
Not totally as that shot is not looking along the line

The Harp Awakes
08-02-2016, 02:18 PM

I don't think it is conclusive due to the camera angle. If the camera was in line with both players then I reckon Cummings would be at least level.

It's a bit like a photo finish at the horses. A camera shot of a dead-heat at the same angle, would show the horse in the foreground as the winner (wrongly).

hibeerealist
08-02-2016, 02:22 PM
NOT offside, level! ......And if it was at the other end.......probably / likely a goal!!!!

MB62
08-02-2016, 02:33 PM
There is absolutely no danger that anybody can say with any great definitive evidence that this is offside. It is far too close to call either way and whether the linesman got it right or not, the attacking player is meant to get the benefit of the doubt, which there is plenty.
We are all disagreeing amongst ourselves now about who got it right, and this is with freeze frame from T.V. and still photos, so how could an assistant get it so right on the spur of the moment.
IMO, the assistant has seen the two other Hibs players offside, the ball arrive at Jason's feet when he is offside, and just stuck up his flag.

pedroorange1875
08-02-2016, 05:06 PM
This is one of these decisions that would be put on the plus side of "things even themselves out over the course"....however its still not happening. The marginal "amazing" but arguably correct calls are time and time made for them yet, and i dont need to make a huge list as we all know, we are subjected to astonishingly bad decisions and retrospective cards galore over a long period of time.

So when are they going to start to even out?

Aldo
08-02-2016, 06:13 PM
Not seen it but is it not the case you cannot be offside if your arms etc are in an offside position as its only with a part of your body you can legally score with.

I maybe wrong but sure I heard a former ref talking about this last year on a show?

Del Boy
08-02-2016, 06:16 PM
It was close but he was offside. Good decision by linesman.

Smartie
08-02-2016, 06:21 PM
This is one of these decisions that would be put on the plus side of "things even themselves out over the course"....however its still not happening. The marginal "amazing" but arguably correct calls are time and time made for them yet, and i dont need to make a huge list as we all know, we are subjected to astonishingly bad decisions and retrospective cards galore over a long period of time.

So when are they going to start to even out?

Even though I think that the goal was onside it would have taken balls of steel for a linesman to give that goal.

From his perspective there could well have been 3 of them offside, a really difficult call to make.

Regarding things "evening themselves out" we got nothing at the start of the season then we went through a spell where we seemed to get everything (penalty call at ER v Rangers, McGinn penalty vs Falkirk, McGinn red card overturned) and now we're not getting much again.

Hopefully we'll get a few go our way again towards the end of the season.

Kavinho
08-02-2016, 06:22 PM
Goal definitely should have stood.
Both players are the same distance from the6 yard line.

Benefit of the doubt should go to the attacking player

bigwheel
08-02-2016, 06:27 PM
Goal definitely should have stood.
Both players are the same distance from the6 yard line.

Benefit of the doubt should go to the attacking player

i don't know why people think this (above). His torso is clearly ahead of the last defender when the ball is played..therefore he is definitely offside..

Sir David Gray
08-02-2016, 06:34 PM
Not seen it but is it not the case you cannot be offside if your arms etc are in an offside position as its only with a part of your body you can legally score with.

I maybe wrong but sure I heard a former ref talking about this last year on a show?

Correct.

Smartie
08-02-2016, 06:43 PM
i don't know why people think this (above). His torso is clearly ahead of the last defender when the ball is played..therefore he is definitely offside..

I don't think it is.

It looks like it is because of the camera angle, which is not level with the play.

So it is all down to speculation and conjecture as to whether his torso was level or not.

I reckon he was level. But then again, I would.

Sylar
08-02-2016, 06:44 PM

Said that in the match thread at the time - linesman gets a split-second to make a decision without the benefit of freeze-frame or "lean" analysis - had he seen it from the other side of the pitch, I suspect the goal might have stood.

Aldo
08-02-2016, 06:45 PM
Correct.

Cheers Trig

stantonsboots
08-02-2016, 06:55 PM
He wasn't level, he was off.. Just!he was level leaning slightly towards goal but feet were level!

Kavinho
08-02-2016, 07:07 PM

It isn't clear. They are standing in line.

Therefore, goal should stand.

pedroorange1875
08-02-2016, 09:01 PM
Even though I think that the goal was onside it would have taken balls of steel for a linesman to give that goal.

From his perspective there could well have been 3 of them offside, a really difficult call to make.

Regarding things "evening themselves out" we got nothing at the start of the season then we went through a spell where we seemed to get everything (penalty call at ER v Rangers, McGinn penalty vs Falkirk, McGinn red card overturned) and now we're not getting much again.

Hopefully we'll get a few go our way again towards the end of the season.

I meant more "even things out" against them.....we are about a million behind

Smartie
08-02-2016, 09:08 PM
I meant more "even things out" against them.....we are about a million behind

Agree 100% with that.

Andy74
08-02-2016, 09:31 PM

When you consider the angle I'd say the opposite. Looks at least level. Should get the benefit. The other players offside won't have helped.

macca70
08-02-2016, 09:37 PM
It isn't clear. They are standing in line.

Therefore, goal should stand.

Not just your feet that can be offside, any part of your body that you can score a legal goal with, can be deemed offside.

So basically any part of your body apart from arms & hands.