PDA

View Full Version : Leicester City

Hibbyradge
06-02-2016, 11:07 PM
My mate's a Foxes fan. I don't think he's stopped greeting for about 6 weeks, he's so happy.

Can they go all the way and win the league?

I hope so.

iwasthere1972
06-02-2016, 11:10 PM
My mate's a Foxes fan. I don't think he's stopped greeting for about 6 weeks, he's so happy.

I hope so.

Can you ask Gary to shave that wee beard off. :wink:

Seriously don't think so. Might stumble in the run in. Champions League is certainly a possibility and if they can manage that then that will be some feat. Good luck to them. Really hope that they prove me wrong.

Thecat23
06-02-2016, 11:11 PM

I hope so.

Yes, there is no reason they can't win the league! I also hope they do and stick it right up pretty much everyone involved in the EPL who thrive on the "big four" the game badly needs them to win it.

Haymaker
06-02-2016, 11:14 PM
Yes. And it will be glorious when they do.

JK Rolling
06-02-2016, 11:17 PM
It would be a brilliant achievement, comparable with when Forest were promoted and won England's top league the next year. I expect the similarities to end there though 'cause they won't be winning the CL next season. :wink:

cameronw-hfc
06-02-2016, 11:27 PM
Did they not lose Vardy for 5/6 weeks in November/December and still picked up enough points? If so, think their squad will be fine. Hopefully they rest a few players here and there to avoid burn out.

stoneyburn hibs
06-02-2016, 11:31 PM

I hope so.

Hope you're mate Disney stop greetin, they've done 3 quarters of it so why not. #gofoxes

Scouse Hibee
07-02-2016, 12:06 AM
Yes they can and I hope they do, love watching them,superb team players all over the park playing tremendous football.

RyeSloan
07-02-2016, 12:12 AM
Yes they can and I hope they do, love watching them,superb team players all over the park playing tremendous football.

Yup a proper 'team'. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts and it's been great to see. The tinker man must be a true hero down those parts just now...that result today was just superb.

snooky
07-02-2016, 12:14 AM

I hope so.
My best mate lives in Leicester and is a big Foxes fan. He's also a Jambo but, like me, doesn't have that Hibs/Hearts hatred. I hope that Leicester win the EPL and make the fairytale come true.

MWHIBBIES
07-02-2016, 12:15 AM
Did they not lose Vardy for 5/6 weeks in November/December and still picked up enough points? If so, think their squad will be fine. Hopefully they rest a few players here and there to avoid burn out.Pretty sure he has played every game.

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-02-2016, 12:36 AM
I think that they will win it

cameronw-hfc
07-02-2016, 12:41 AM
Pretty sure he has played every game.

Might be thinking of when he broke his wrist and was originally quoted to have been out for weeks but ended up playing with a cast.

Haymaker
07-02-2016, 12:50 AM
Might be thinking of when he broke his wrist and was originally quoted to have been out for weeks but ended up playing with a cast.

Had a groin up over xmas/ny.

cameronw-hfc
07-02-2016, 02:19 AM
Had a groin up over xmas/ny.

Ah okay, cheers. :aok:

mjhibby
07-02-2016, 03:13 AM
With man city and arsenal inconsistent and the champions league on the horizon it could be spurs are their biggest threat. It would be a truly amazing achievement if they can do it. Mahrez and ****e are superb players as well as vardy. They are superb to watch and get the ball into the right areas to create chances. I hope they do it even if mister Lineker will be insufferable. Liked watching them when weller,Worthington etc played and of course our own Bobby Smith.

Baader
07-02-2016, 03:27 AM
Absolutely they can. Just beaten Liverpool and Man City away in the same week. Despite my Arsenal leanings, as a football fan I want them to do it...

HoboHarry
07-02-2016, 04:04 AM
That Robert Huth is just a brute

lucky
07-02-2016, 06:07 AM
They've got Arsenal away next week, after that they have 12 very winnable games. The question is can they handle the pressure. But they are a good side to watch and have terrific pace and energy.

Betty Boop
07-02-2016, 06:12 AM
What a story !

HH81
07-02-2016, 06:15 AM
They've got Arsenal away next week, after that they have 12 very winnable games. The question is can they handle the pressure. But they are a good side to watch and have terrific pace and energy.

Just checked fixtures, got a great chance to be fair. Got couple games at end which may be tough but if win them games after Arsenal they will be almost champions by then.

lucky
07-02-2016, 07:09 AM
Just checked fixtures, got a great chance to be fair. Got couple games at end which may be tough but if win them games after Arsenal they will be almost champions by then.

It's very doable for them if they hold their nerve. I hope they do it or at least get a CL place. Their scouting has been incredible. Mahrez cost £400k and ****e looks some player and Drinkwater has been a standout everytime I've saw him.

HibernianJK
07-02-2016, 07:21 AM
Think everyone was sceptical up till yesterday, now they got everyone thinking they can seriously do it. Hope they do.

Bostonhibby
07-02-2016, 07:34 AM

I hope so.
I work with one and he is like a dog with two tails. I really hope they do it. They were great yesterday

Northernhibee
07-02-2016, 07:37 AM
Was thinking yesterday, they're where they are largely because of an unwavering hunger and belief in what they do.

If Leicester can challenge for the league title then we can defo do the treble this season. It's unlikely but with a bit of belief, a lot of hard work and non stop support anything is possible.:flag:

Baw187
07-02-2016, 08:52 AM
It would be the greatest achievement in modern football in my opinion. Far greater than Forrest's achievement given the financial inequality of today's game. Would be truly outstanding and hope they do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heretoday
07-02-2016, 08:59 AM
It would be the greatest achievement in modern football in my opinion. Far greater than Forrest's achievement given the financial inequality of today's game. Would be truly outstanding and hope they do it.

It would be a great thing. The standard in the Prem has been slipping though. Man City were quite pathetic yesterday. You can't see an English team winning in Europe again at this rate.

JimBHibees
07-02-2016, 09:03 AM

Totally disagree Clough and Taylor took Forest from a lower second division team to double European cup winners in a short number of years. A much bigger achievement IMO.

bigwheel
07-02-2016, 09:07 AM
Totally disagree Clough and Taylor took Forest from a lower second division team to double European cup winners in a short number of years. A much bigger achievement IMO.

No chance - they could buy and pay players the same as any other club in those days....they had the first 1 million pound player for example...If Leicester do it - it is head and shoulders above that achievement..

Sergey
07-02-2016, 09:10 AM
Was thinking yesterday, they're where they are largely because of an unwavering hunger and belief in what they do.

If Leicester can challenge for the league title then we can defo do the treble this season. It's unlikely but with a bit of belief, a lot of hard work and non stop support anything is possible.:flag:

There is a difference.

Leicester have 13 games left in their season. They've no cup competitions or CL to worry about. Their biggest travel headache is an away trip to Newcastle. The other clubs around them in the EPL are still involved in European competitions. If (it's a big if) Man City were to progress in all competitions, then they would have a minimum of 27 matches remaining, not accounting for extra-time. Factor in trips to Moscow and wherever during midweek and the pendulum swings in favour of Leicester.

Being involved in more than one trophy could be seen as being a handicap if you're a glass-half-empty man.

Scouse Hibee
07-02-2016, 09:19 AM

On a par with Villa winning the league I reckon.

JimBHibees
07-02-2016, 09:21 AM
No chance - they could buy and pay players the same as any other club in those days....they had the first 1 million pound player for example...If Leicester do it - it is head and shoulders above that achievement..

Absolute nowhere near totally transforming a struggling club in a lower league by in the most part getting guys to play out of their skin and above themselves and then winning firstly the top English league and then the European cup twice. Leicester had a great run at the end of last season and have continued that in a league where there isn't a dominant team. Their achievement if they win it will be huge but IMO light years behind Cloughs achievements.

Hibby70
07-02-2016, 09:24 AM
Would be an achievement on par with Hearts winning the league in '86 I reckon....

iwasthere1972
07-02-2016, 09:25 AM
Would be an achievement on par with Hearts winning the league in '86 I reckon....

Don't forget the cup.

bigwheel
07-02-2016, 09:27 AM
Absolute nowhere near totally transforming a struggling club in a lower league by in the most part getting guys to play out of their skin and above themselves and then winning firstly the top English league and then the European cup twice. Leicester had a great run at the end of last season and have continued that in a league where there isn't a dominant team. Their achievement if they win it will be huge but IMO light years behind Cloughs achievements.

You are completely ignoring the way football has fundamentally changed since those days...the inequality is beyond comparison. In those days were was an even playing field. Get a good management team, you could compile a team to match anyone. Which Clough did - credit to him

There literally is no comparison with today though . The financial difference between clubs makes equality of recruitment almost impossible - This is the difference your points ignore. If they did win the league, it would be the greatest achievement in Modern English Football by a huge margin. Even Blackburn were supported by incredible financial support from their owner..there is no Shearer in this team..

Just Jimmy
07-02-2016, 09:32 AM
11 more wins not counting games against teams around them.

Go on and do it. This is the reason we all fell in love with football, the underdog story. Everybody who isn't a fan of a team involved in the title hunt down there will be backing them.

07-02-2016, 09:34 AM
Absolutely fairytale stuff. Really hope they manage to do it, an absolutely incredible story.

Baw187
07-02-2016, 09:36 AM

That's a great achievement but in those days as I understood it, if you were a good enough coach with a good enough team, the playing field was much more even to allow a smaller club to do it. These days, because of the ever increasing resources of the biggest clubs, you aren't just competing at a footballing level. That for me, makes it all the more remarkable.

It's all opinions though and to be fair, I can only rely on what history told me about Forest. I didn't live through it.

Aldo
07-02-2016, 09:44 AM
Considering the amount of money getting thrown about by teams in that League Leicester City have went about their business very very well indeed. They have a strong, very balanced team that has pace, creativity and most off all they would appear to have a great team spirit. Some very very good players but the puck has to be Mahrez for around £400,000.

FWIW I hope the win it

JimBHibees
07-02-2016, 10:35 AM
You are completely ignoring the way football has fundamentally changed since those days...the inequality is beyond comparison. In those days were was an even playing field. Get a good management team, you could compile a team to match anyone. Which Clough did - credit to him

There literally is no comparison with today though . The financial difference between clubs makes equality of recruitment almost impossible - This is the difference your points ignore. If they did win the league, it would be the greatest achievement in Modern English Football by a huge margin. Even Blackburn were supported by incredible financial support from their owner..there is no Shearer in this team..

Not ignoring anything Ranieri has done a great job and deserves huge respect however they had a good run at the end of last season and have continued that also bringing in some inspired signings. There is no outstanding team in England this season though given how poor Chelsea have been and how average Man U, Arsenal and City are also. They have done great but absolutely not a patch on Clough taking a run down team and turning them into double European champions also in an era where Liverpool were hugely dominant.

bigwheel
07-02-2016, 10:41 AM
Not ignoring anything Ranieri has done a great job and deserves huge respect however they had a good run at the end of last season and have continued that also bringing in some inspired signings. There is no outstanding team in England this season though given how poor Chelsea have been and how average Man U, Arsenal and City are also. They have done great but absolutely not a patch on Clough taking a run down team and turning them into double European champions also in an era where Liverpool were hugely dominant.

Well we will just have to disagree - your comparing a whole era with the current Leicester situation - and also to ignore last season , yet site the amazing rise of Forest seems inconsistent to me - I remain firmly in my view that it it much harder , as an outsider , to win the league in current days than it was in the 70s/80s

Scottie
07-02-2016, 02:26 PM
Absolutely fairytale stuff. Really hope they manage to do it, an absolutely incredible story.
Remember the groundworks for Leicester's new dawn were all started by the forward thinking Potter a few years ago. 4-6-0.