PDA

View Full Version : Their Main Threats during the game

MB62
05-02-2016, 11:41 AM
Having watched a few of their highlights this season on BBC, one thing I have noticed that the Yams is favour is the high ball to the back post, particularly to Paterson who wins a lot of balls in that area. This could be a concern if he is matched up against Lewis in the air there.

They also like to have a pop from outside the box quite frequently, our midfield will need to be sharp when defending.

Two points of concern but I have a belief in our lads that ability will triumph over brawn. It might take us two games to do it, but I think we are definitely good enough to beat them, even on their own patch.

The biggest concern for me, apart from those mentioned above, is keeping 11 men on the park and not conceding a penalty, given who is in charge of the whistle. We can combat the first two points, we will have no control over the official in charge.

Big_Franck
05-02-2016, 11:51 AM
Having watched a few of their highlights this season on BBC, one thing I have noticed that the Yams is favour is the high ball to the back post, particularly to Paterson who wins a lot of balls in that area. This could be a concern if he is matched up against Lewis in the air there.

They also like to have a pop from outside the box quite frequently, our midfield will need to be sharp when defending.

Two points of concern but I have a belief in our lads that ability will triumph over brawn. It might take us two games to do it, but I think we are definitely good enough to beat them, even on their own patch.

The biggest concern for me, apart from those mentioned above, is keeping 11 men on the park and not conceding a penalty, given who is in charge of the whistle. We can combat the first two points, we will have no control over the official in charge.

I think you're right. As soon as the draw was made I thought they'd try to play loads of high balls from left to right to try to get Paterson up against Stevenson. I thought that to try to combat that we could play three at the back, with Fontaine playing on the left. That allows Fontaine, provided he is switched on and well positioned, to challenge Paterson for a lot of these balls. It'd still leave Hanlon and McGregor in the middle so we shouldn't be too exposed when Fontaine drifts left to challenge Paterson in the air.

The thing with moving to 3 at the back is that it'd mean one of our middle 4 would need to drop out, and it'd be really hard to choose which one. I don't think any of them deserve to be dropped.

Bit of a headache for Stubbs but he has options.

JimBHibees
05-02-2016, 11:54 AM
The have a number of threats ad Paterson is obviously one if he is competing with Lewis for cross balls however in saying that defensively he is IMO poor and can be got at. Djoum from the highlights looks a threat as both physical and good and will need to be watched. We definitely need McGregor in there and think we may play 3 centre backs if Fontaine fit.

Should be a cracking game and just hope we are not taking about the 12 man on Monday.

JimBHibees
05-02-2016, 11:55 AM
I think you're right. As soon as the draw was made I thought they'd try to play loads of high balls from left to right to try to get Paterson up against Stevenson. I thought that to try to combat that we could play three at the back, with Fontaine playing on the left. That allows Fontaine, provided he is switched on and well positioned, to challenge Paterson for a lot of these balls. It'd still leave Hanlon and McGregor in the middle so we shouldn't be too exposed when Fontaine drifts left to challenge Paterson in the air.

The thing with moving to 3 at the back is that it'd mean one of our middle 4 would need to drop out, and it'd be really hard to choose which one. I don't think any of them deserve to be dropped.

He could also play them all and just one forward.

Jim44
05-02-2016, 12:19 PM
Their Main Threats during the game

Asbestos poisoning and falling debris. :greengrin

MB62
05-02-2016, 12:24 PM
Their Main Threats during the game

Asbestos poisoning and falling debris. :greengrin

:top marks :faf: :faf:

Onceinawhile
05-02-2016, 12:29 PM
Sam Nicholson. Loves a pop from range, fast and tricky.

Craig_HFC
05-02-2016, 12:31 PM
If it goes to a replay; is it the same ref or does the ref change?

ALF TUPPER
05-02-2016, 12:35 PM
disease

MB62
05-02-2016, 12:39 PM
disease

Strangely enough, since returning from the dark side to civilisation on Saturday, I've been feeling crap all week.

portyhibernian
05-02-2016, 12:52 PM
I think we'll have to weather an early storm for the first 10 minutes, I can see them employing the same tactics as they did when they played Aberdeen in the last round. Come flying out the traps at 100mph and try to kill the game early. 5-4-1 the way to go for me, and I think Stokes as the man up top to hold it up and bring the midfield into attacking areas.

H18S NX
05-02-2016, 12:59 PM
Getting halved in two by size 9s,10s,11s,etc.

southern hibby
05-02-2016, 01:13 PM
Biggest threat ( and make no mistake about it) is the Ref.

GGTTH

Edson Arantes
05-02-2016, 01:15 PM
We will be chopped at every turn.

It's their way. :confused:

Overcome this and the ref and we can do it. Won't be easy but we can win.

2-1 Hibs :flag:

Captain Trips
05-02-2016, 01:24 PM
We have better players than them, we will be beating them. I would rather have our threats than theirs.

GreenLake
05-02-2016, 01:34 PM
Thompson cutting out through balls and dropping them into the path of a yam hitting us on the break.

MB62
05-02-2016, 01:49 PM
I have never been as confident in a Hibs team going to Swinie since the T.T's in the 70's than I am with the current lads. I won't predict they will murder them, or even win at all, but they have a great chance of doing so if they play to their potential and don't get bullied.
I agree with Portyhibs that will try and storm out the traps and bulldoze us but if we are strong and stand up to them, they tire badly in the 2nd half of the game and we might just turn them over.

CallumLaidlaw
05-02-2016, 01:55 PM

Looks like Fyvie may well be out, so your 3-5-2 would work. And although it may be harsh on Dagnall, I'd start Stokes. He'll make space for Cummings.

SunshineOnLeith
05-02-2016, 02:51 PM

For me adjusting our formation is the wrong approach. The players, notably Gray and whichever of the midfield diamond is rightmost, need to be aware that they'll look for that ball and deny them the space and time to put any sort of quality balls in. If they can be closed down so that any crosses which aren't prevented or blocked are rushed and cr@p, Lewis is good enough at positioning his body to overcome a height disadvantage. Oxley also has to be ready to come for any floated balls.

If Hearts are looking for that ball it also opens up our left side as a counter attacking option, as I fancy Lewis to have more pace and stamina than Paterson if it comes to charging up and down there all day. Worst thing that could (and very likely will) happen is if the ref books Lewis for his first foul of the game, while letting Paterson have a few niggly fouls.

PatHead
05-02-2016, 02:52 PM
Looks like Fyvie may well be out, so your 3-5-2 would work. And although it may be harsh on Dagnall, I'd start Stokes. He'll make space for Cummings.

Question over Fontaine as well.

lyonhibs
05-02-2016, 02:54 PM
I have never been as confident in a Hibs team going to Swinie since the T.T's in the 70's than I am with the current lads. I won't predict they will murder them, or even win at all, but they have a great chance of doing so if they play to their potential and don't get bullied.
I agree with Portyhibs that will try and storm out the traps and bulldoze us but if we are strong and stand up to them, they tire badly in the 2nd half of the game and we might just turn them over.

This has been a stock caveat on this board in the days running up to a Derby for years, and equally as valid for years before that as well.

To date, it hasn't turned out the way we'd like often enough sadly.

ALF TUPPER
05-02-2016, 02:57 PM
Strangely enough, since returning from the dark side to civilisation on Saturday, I've been feeling crap all week.

There you have it. Case in point folks :greengrin

Get well soon MB62:aok:

Big_Franck
05-02-2016, 03:53 PM
He could also play them all and just one forward.

True, although I can't remember the last time Stubbs started with just one striker. Provided Fontaine and Fyvie are fit I think he'll probably go with the same team that started against St Johnstone.

ancient hibee
05-02-2016, 04:11 PM
True, although I can't remember the last time Stubbs started with just one striker. Provided Fontaine and Fyvie are fit I think he'll probably go with the same team that started against St Johnstone.

Not me.Very surprised if he doesn't go with the three centre halves.

Hibernia&Alba
05-02-2016, 04:16 PM
Craig Thomson, as ever, will be the biggest threat to Hibs.

As for the two teams, Hearts seem a physically powerful team, and we must be prepared to compete with them in the midfield. We can't allow them to dominate possession, and it's for that reason I chose Kevin Thomson (if ready to play) in the team thread, with only Cummings as striker. We'd still have plenty of attacking potential in 4-2-3-1, being able to get forward quickly when in possession.

Franck Stanton
05-02-2016, 04:32 PM
Biggest threat ( and make no mistake about it) is the Ref.

GGTTH

Exactly, 100% correct - cheating puddle drinker. HATE that man with a passion.

Aldo
05-02-2016, 04:58 PM
Agree with others that their biggest threat is Cheat!

lord bunberry
05-02-2016, 05:02 PM
I think they've got more to worry about from us than vice versa. If they try and pressure us high up the pitch it will only take one decent ball through to Cummings or Stokes and we'll be in behind them. We've got nothing to fear.

CorrieHibs
05-02-2016, 05:09 PM
Hearts have got a threats in a lot of positions. They're a good side and I think this is our toughest test to date.

Over years going to derbies at the PBS, I have seen us dominate possession, have chances and not take them. They then go and hit us with a sucker punch. Sometimes we've been our own worse enemy.

I think we will create chances again and this time we have to take them. I feel with the quality we have up front we will take these chances.

I'm still thinking draw and a victory in the replay.

Aldo
05-02-2016, 05:10 PM
I think they've got more to worry about from us than vice versa. If they try and pressure us high up the pitch it will only take one decent ball through to Cummings or Stokes and we'll be in behind them. We've got nothing to fear.

Agreed and TBH there is a strong possibility that they will leave space for us to exploit. Need to get their CH's one on one getting them turned.

We must also take any chances.

If FF is not fit does anyone else think Stubbs might play Stokes at the tip of the diamond??

lord bunberry
05-02-2016, 05:13 PM
Agreed and TBH there is a strong possibility that they will leave space for us to exploit. Need to get their CH's one on one getting them turned.

We must also take any chances.

If FF is not fit does anyone else think Stubbs might play Stokes at the tip of the diamond??
I would think it would more likely be Dagnall, he links up play quite well.

Aldo
05-02-2016, 05:31 PM
I would think it would more likely be Dagnall, he links up play quite well.

So play Cummings, Stokes and Dagnall with Dagnall at tip of diamond??

HibbyKeith
05-02-2016, 05:47 PM

Got to be Mcginn at the tip of a diamond, creates threat right through the middle aswell as having to worry about Stevenson and Gray exploiting space out wide.

I'd be more tempted with Thomson(or Bartley) sitting with henderson and McGeough wide left and right, not forgetting the possibility of using Boyle or Keatings in the wide area's also.

The more you look at the squad the more appealing it is. who will play? Stevenson or Gunnerson? Gunnerson or Gray? Fontaine and Hanlon or Hanlon and Mcgregor? Thomson or Bartley? Stokes and Cummings? or Dagnall and Stokes?

So refreshing to have a squad of players that are all good enough to fill the boots of the players they replace.

Lots of options, If us fans are still guessing then we know opposing managers are doing the same. :greengrin

lord bunberry
05-02-2016, 05:56 PM
That's what I was thinking. It depends on whether Bartley or Thomson are available as straight swaps for Fyvie.

meister
05-02-2016, 06:11 PM
Our biggest threats will be Patterson at the back stick as mentioned before and Djoum through the middle, he's quick with great feet and can take players on.

Our defence is big, but they're mobile and can play from the back, I think we'll surprise a few folk with the amount of football we play on the deck, it's been a feature of our season (Hamilton aside which was torture).

You guys have threats all over the place, from mid right through to stokes and Cummings, but I don't know enough about your defence to comment to be honest, have they been tested much this season, Rangers aside ?

Can understand why you cannae stand Thompson but he's no favourite at Tynie either and seems conscious of the decisions he gives in our favour ( if he does at all ).

Everything points to a cracking game for neutrals to watch, it'll be 90 mins of nerves for everyone there though. Hope it's not another Derby to forget football wise.

Hibernia&Alba
05-02-2016, 06:19 PM
Our biggest threats will be Patterson at the back stick as mentioned before and Djoum through the middle, he's quick with great feet and can take players on.

Our defence is big, but they're mobile and can play from the back, I think we'll surprise a few folk with the amount of football we play on the deck, it's been a feature of our season (Hamilton aside which was torture).

You guys have threats all over the place, from mid right through to stokes and Cummings, but I don't know enough about your defence to comment to be honest, have they been tested much this season, Rangers aside ?

Can understand why you cannae stand Thompson but he's no favourite at Tynie either and seems conscious of the decisions he gives in our favour ( if he does at all ).

Everything points to a cracking game for neutrals to watch, it'll be 90 mins of nerves for everyone there though. Hope it's not another Derby to forget football wise.

A good post, except re Thomson :greengrin

It should be a good game, if both teams play well on the day. Most people seem to think it will be close, myself included, and, whilst I've tipped Hearts to edge it, I think we have a good chance.

matty_f
05-02-2016, 06:35 PM
My biggest concern is the quickness that the yams will come forward with. They play at a very high tempo in big games, they press quickly and when they win the ball their furst thought is to get it forward and into the box.
They are good at folliwing the ball in and get a lot of joy from picking up 'second balls' in and around the box.
They also foul constantly to break up the game. Generally nothing major, just enough to stop teams getting into any kind of rhythm. This is where Thomson will come into play - watch how long he takes to address that with their players in comparison to how quickly he addresses Hibs players doing the same.
If we can control the tempo of ths game and get the ball down and moving, we have a great chance. If we try and play them at their own game then I suspect we'll come off second best.

If I was Stubbs, I'd be telling the playersto make sure the ref sees every foul on them, and make the fouls look bad. Get the physio on, stay down etc, and force Thomson into dealing with it. We need to get them on early bookings if we can because that ruins their tactics.

meister
05-02-2016, 06:37 PM
A good post, except re Thomson :greengrin

It should be a good game, if both teams play well on the day. Most people seem to think it will be close, myself included, and, whilst I've tipped Hearts to edge it, I think we have a good chance.

Fair enough with CT :)

We'll start favourites, rightly I think, but it won't be a stroll in the park. Bear in mind we've not beaten you at Tynie in the cup in 50 years or something like that.......

Turkish Green
05-02-2016, 06:39 PM
The Hearts threat is from set pieces. They are a tall team and I fear they will dominate our defence at corners and free kicks around the box. Paterson is a real threat. Their defence is solid but I have a feeling it will be 0-0 and a replay.

Hibernia&Alba
05-02-2016, 06:46 PM

We'll start favourites, rightly I think, but it won't be a stroll in the park. Bear in mind we've not beaten you at Tynie in the cup in 50 years or something like that.......

On Betfair Hearts 6/5, Hibs 12/5, the draw also 12/5; so it's pretty tight.

buktapurple79
06-02-2016, 11:13 AM
They will boot us black and blue for the first ten mins without penalty from the 'ref'. If we weather the physical battering I think we will beat them comfortably, we are the better footballing team and they leak goals against fast, incisive high-tempo passing sides. Don't give away free kicks to allow them their aerial bombardment and we will put them down like the one-trick ponies they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ManBearPig
06-02-2016, 11:24 AM
I think hearts are more physical but that's become a bit of cliche this hearts team can play as well they have a thread of quality throughout, however they are vulnerable at the back and we need to be more ruthless in front of goal to beat this lot. They will concentrate on taking Cummings and stokes out of the game our goals will come from midfield and so will theirs.

iwasthere1972
06-02-2016, 11:33 AM

That's music to my ears. I normally throw stats out the window but this one is staying inside.

Deansy
06-02-2016, 01:25 PM
Without a shadow of doubt, their main threat is Craig Thomson - he thrives on his hatred of us !!

meister
06-02-2016, 01:44 PM
That's music to my ears. I normally throw stats out the window but this one is staying inside.

:) hope it's calmed the nerves !!

Don't mind telling you, I can feel the pulse ramping up already for tomorrow.

For those who think our biggest threat is Craig Thompson, I sincerely hope Alan Stubbs agrees and sends you out concentrating on stopping the ref. Should make things much easier 😀

Ronniekirk
06-02-2016, 01:51 PM
The Hearts threat is from set pieces. They are a tall team and I fear they will dominate our defence at corners and free kicks around the box. Paterson is a real threat. Their defence is solid but I have a feeling it will be 0-0 and a replay.

I honestly can't see it being 0. 0 ,a draw is a distinct possibility if we don't tire as game goes on ,but both teams have goals in them .

Aldo
06-02-2016, 01:52 PM
I honestly can't see it being 0. 0 ,a draw is a distinct possibility if we don't tire as game goes on ,but both teams have goals in them .

Have to agree Ronnie. I'd be very very surprised if this finished 0-0!

1875M
06-02-2016, 02:00 PM
Best derby in terms of quality of players on both sides I can remember for a while. Think they'll come out in the first 15/20 minutes looking to be physical and rough us up which does leave them vulnerable on the counter. If McGeouch and Henderson can get on the ball and drive forward like they can then we will cause them problems. At the back Stevenson vs Paterson will be an interesting match up, they seem to like a high floated ball crossed into him. If we get a chance then we must take it which is why I would start with Cummings and Stokes (if fit). Not sure if Stubbs will go with the diamond or the 3-5-2. Can't wait for this :cb

euro Hibby
06-02-2016, 02:12 PM
watching the Rangers game today i realisd that we have a much better midfield than so we should be able to hold our own. Barly has not played much and Thomson would be playing first time in a game with his new team so will be interesting to see the line up. I would still like to have had Dom on the bench and a fit Fyvie but
so it's hard to call. History is probably with them , but Stubbs is no mug..........for me a draw and then a win for Hibs at easter road........

lyonhibs
06-02-2016, 02:20 PM
My biggest concern is the quickness that the yams will come forward with. They play at a very high tempo in big games, they press quickly and when they win the ball their furst thought is to get it forward and into the box.
They are good at folliwing the ball in and get a lot of joy from picking up 'second balls' in and around the box.
They also foul constantly to break up the game. Generally nothing major, just enough to stop teams getting into any kind of rhythm. This is where Thomson will come into play - watch how long he takes to address that with their players in comparison to how quickly he addresses Hibs players doing the same.
If we can control the tempo of ths game and get the ball down and moving, we have a great chance. If we try and play them at their own game then I suspect we'll come off second best.

If I was Stubbs, I'd be telling the playersto make sure the ref sees every foul on them, and make the fouls look bad. Get the physio on, stay down etc, and force Thomson into dealing with it. We need to get them on early bookings if we can because that ruins their tactics.

"Make the foul look bad, get the physio on". Do you mean timewaste and cheat??

I trust the men in Hibs shirts tomorrow to act like them, no a bunch of flimsy drama students squealing foul at the slightest touch.

If we're clever enough to not get drawn into their kick and rush fest and play the football we're capable of, we'll win.

matty_f
06-02-2016, 03:18 PM

I trust the men in Hibs shirts tomorrow to act like them, no a bunch of flimsy drama students squealing foul at the slightest touch.

If we're clever enough to not get drawn into their kick and rush fest and play the football we're capable of, we'll win.

No, not timewaste and cheat, but make sure the ref sees the fouls and takes action against it.

green day
06-02-2016, 03:27 PM

No, he means take advantage of ANY foul against - because the cheating **** will give them everything.

lord bunberry
06-02-2016, 05:01 PM
The thing that worries most is if they get a bit nasty after our fourth goal goes in, I'd maybe take of Cummings and Stokes at that point. I'd leave it to Keatings and Dagnall to complete the route. It might mean one of them missing out on a hat trick but we need to look at the bigger picture.

Pete
06-02-2016, 05:07 PM
Stubbs will no doubt be preparing for hearts tomorrow by making the squad watch the Calcutta cup match.

06-02-2016, 07:00 PM
Biggest threat to us is them using their typical bully boy/hack us off the park tactics. They have a physically bigger squad than us and they will use that to their advantage.

Last season they knew that if they let the likes of Allan have space then he would cause problems so they simply set out to hack him down at every opportunity. They will do the exact same tomorrow to the likes of McGinn, McGeouch etc. It's the hearts way and unfortunalty Craig Thompson will most likely let it all go unpunished. Tomorrows game needed to have a strong ref, sadly that clown got the gig instead.

I genuinely fear one of our key boys getting a bad injury tomorrow. Not what we need at this point of the season with a cup final coming up and while we are fighting for promotion.

It'll be a total hoof fest. Hibs are a good footballing side but they wont allow us any time to get the ball down and play so we're gonna have to play them at their own game.

Carheenlea
06-02-2016, 07:27 PM
I know of two or three of their players, and apart from that their squad consists of players names that I genuinely have no idea who they are. Fair play to them as they are having a very good season, but so are we. A lot has been made of the physicality of their side, but pretty much every week we are facing up to sides who try to kick us off the park, but we have stood up to that as we churn out result after result this season.
If Hearts have a better team than us then they must be a very good team indeed. I`ll be surprised if they do, and I`m expecting us to win, and win by more than the one goal.

JimBHibees
06-02-2016, 08:52 PM
No, he means take advantage of ANY foul against - because the cheating **** will give them everything.

And be getting right in the cheats face as they will be as evidenced in the Hamilton game.