PDA

View Full Version : Alan Stubbs

matty_f
05-02-2016, 10:08 AM
I noticed a tweet earlier that Stubbsy was on Sky Sports for a preview of the game on Sunday, but I only caught the end of the segment that he was on. It did get me thinking about the benefit of having someone 'media-friendly' like Stubbs at the club.
I believe he was on TalkSport yesterday (or perhaps the day before - Blackpool started a thread about it, but I missed the show), again Hibs are getting nationwide exposure.

Stubbs has managed to keep a high profile on the club, be that through winning key games, high profile signings like Stokes, or stoking the fire ahead of big games. This can surely only be a good thing. Hibs, despite being a Championship club at this moment in time, are enjoying a higher profile than many of the top flight teams.

Add in the wee news items like Stubbs popping into the Sick Kids to give a surprise visit to the kids in there etc, and the profile is raised higher still.

I think Stubbs has been an inspired choice by the club, he's got the team playing well (the most important aspect of his role), but above and beyond that he has identified the things that needed to change at the club, and the work he's put in to turn us around is significant.

A second place finish last season, Scottish Cup Semi-final, this season we're sitting in second but still competing for the title, in the League Cup final, having beaten top tier teams in the last three rounds, and we head to the PBS on Sunday in what is one of the biggest games in Scottish football this season.

Stubbs is doing a terrific job, and I say that as someone whose view is that Hibs should be where we are in the league based on resources etc, so even if that viewpoint diminishes some of the relative success that Stubbs is enjoying, I still think overall he's done an outstanding job.

People are talking about Hibs in a good way again (we even got a namecheck in Parliament the other day) and Stubbs has played a massive part in that turnaround.

Captain Trips
05-02-2016, 10:23 AM
Totally right Matty, the club is doing more it seems media wise than when we were in the topflight. A big club is a big club no matter what league I guess and we have done well to remembered as such.

Alan has created a team and an atmosphere that I have not seen for many years now, this current team is the best Hibs side for a good few years IMO, Alan has done a tremendous job at managing this. I am not worried about playing any team in Scotland with this squad of players. We have a cup final after beating several teams in topflight.

Alan will go onto great things hopefully down south and not for a few years yet but I will never forget the job done here he has put us back on the map and we are a team to be feared again.

matty_f
05-02-2016, 10:34 AM
Totally right Matty, the club is doing more it seems media wise than when we were in the topflight. A big club is a big club no matter what league I guess and we have done well to remembered as such.

Alan has created a team and an atmosphere that I have not seen for many years now, this current team is the best Hibs side for a good few years IMO, Alan has done a tremendous job at managing this. I am not worried about playing any team in Scotland with this squad of players. We have a cup final after beating several teams in topflight.

Alan will go onto great things hopefully down south and not for a few years yet but I will never forget the job done here he has put us back on the map and we are a team to be feared again.

The trick for Hibs will be in finding a like for like replacement. For me, Stubbs needs to be the blueprint for our next manager. I'm sure that the club are doing work to find out who is out there that might fit the bill when he does eventually go (hopefully not for some time yet).

J-C
05-02-2016, 10:43 AM
I noticed a tweet earlier that Stubbsy was on Sky Sports for a preview of the game on Sunday, but I only caught the end of the segment that he was on. It did get me thinking about the benefit of having someone 'media-friendly' like Stubbs at the club.
I believe he was on TalkSport yesterday (or perhaps the day before - Blackpool started a thread about it, but I missed the show), again Hibs are getting nationwide exposure.

Stubbs has managed to keep a high profile on the club, be that through winning key games, high profile signings like Stokes, or stoking the fire ahead of big games. This can surely only be a good thing. Hibs, despite being a Championship club at this moment in time, are enjoying a higher profile than many of the top flight teams.

Add in the wee news items like Stubbs popping into the Sick Kids to give a surprise visit to the kids in there etc, and the profile is raised higher still.

I think Stubbs has been an inspired choice by the club, he's got the team playing well (the most important aspect of his role), but above and beyond that he has identified the things that needed to change at the club, and the work he's put in to turn us around is significant.

A second place finish last season, Scottish Cup Semi-final, this season we're sitting in second but still competing for the title, in the League Cup final, having beaten top tier teams in the last three rounds, and we head to the PBS on Sunday in what is one of the biggest games in Scottish football this season.

Stubbs is doing a terrific job, and I say that as someone whose view is that Hibs should be where we are in the league based on resources etc, so even if that viewpoint diminishes some of the relative success that Stubbs is enjoying, I still think overall he's done an outstanding job.

People are talking about Hibs in a good way again (we even got a namecheck in Parliament the other day) and Stubbs has played a massive part in that turnaround.

:top marks It's good to be a Hibby again :greengrin

Hibby Gav
05-02-2016, 10:47 AM
The trick for Hibs will be in finding a like for like replacement. For me, Stubbs needs to be the blueprint for our next manager. I'm sure that the club are doing work to find out who is out there that might fit the bill when he does eventually go (hopefully not for some time yet).

This is key and I'm sure Leeann is setting the club up to be role led rather than person led...she deserves huge respect and plaudits for her role in our clubs turnaround...nothing won yet...but it's great being a Hibby again !

ggtth

givescotlandfreedom
05-02-2016, 10:50 AM
Well said. We're finally in safe hands again.

Seveno
05-02-2016, 12:02 PM
I fully agree with all that has been said and we play some attractive football backed up by steel. Stubbs will eventually be judged on us getting into the Premier League next season. If we do not achieve that then he will have failed.

Personally, I am confident and will not miss winter visits to the Indodrill Stadium.

Tyler Durden
05-02-2016, 12:26 PM
What a difference to have a manager that is an asset - actually attracting top players because they want to work with him.

Looking back we had that with Mowbray and tried to follow a template of sorts with Collins, Mixu and Yogi who all had similar traits and a footballing philosophy which the fans could buy into.

So strange and disastrous really that Petrie abandoned that and started hiring Calderwood, Fenlon, Butcher. None of whom have any desire to see the game played properly with the ball on the ground. Worse still they couldn't find a way to win with their basic tactics. Rubbish to watch and unsuccessful

Think we need to appreciate Stubbs for as long as we can. A victory this weekend would help of course

southsider
05-02-2016, 12:36 PM
Alan has installed a backbone to our club. A we are all in this together mentality. We have good footballers all over the pitch. We are not the biggest or the quickest but how big to you have to be to control and pass the ball. Just think Xavi and Iniesta.

Viva_Palmeiras
05-02-2016, 10:13 PM
What a difference to have a manager ithat is an asset - actually attracting top players because they want to work with him.

Looking back we had that with Mowbray and tried to follow a template of sorts with Collins, Mixu and Yogi who all had similar traits and a footballing philosophy which the fans could buy into.

So strange and disastrous really that Petrie abandoned that and started hiring Calderwood, Fenlon, Butcher. None of whom have any desire to see the game played properly with the ball on the ground. Worse still they couldn't find a way to win with their basic tactics. Rubbish to watch and unsuccessful

Think we need to appreciate Stubbs for as long as we can. A victory this weekend would help of course

Wonder how much this is also down to understanding the importance of having players that are prepared to lead across the team. We've had reluctant or incapable captains in the past - they've no been leaders (used in the past perhaps a way of overcoming a wage structure) - and what a difference having the man at the helm being a leader... Communication across the staff has improved.

What ever happened to the forgotten man - the potential successor to Tony - Mark Proctor? It doesn't always work out - the conveyer belt was derailed as we took our eye off the ball as we did with team performance - shrugging the shoulders and saying effectively its up to the football gods there's nothing much to be learned from past experience is nuts.

hibbypostie
06-02-2016, 05:41 AM

Stay away from the derby predictions page then according to most on that we will be lucky be on the same park:confused:

Steve20
06-02-2016, 06:20 AM
The football is far better to watch and the quality of player he's brought in is definitely better. However, he must get us promoted this season IMO. He can't have two failed promotion attempts and get a third shot.

Three years in this league would be a disaster.

Peevemor
06-02-2016, 06:46 AM
The football is far better to watch and the quality of player he's brought in is definitely better. However, he must get us promoted this season IMO. He can't have two failed promotion attempts and get a third shot.

Nonsense!

In the league P22 W16 D3 L3. In the (proper) cups it's all wins up until now.

You'd bin him anyway?

Who do you think would do better?

Thecat23
06-02-2016, 06:54 AM

Who would come in and do better? Stubbs record this season has been superb. To sack him if we don't go up is actually laughable! Yes it would be a disaster staying down one more year but as it stands I honestly don't think any other manager that we could afford would do better.

Waxy
06-02-2016, 07:15 AM

I'm sure the money from the cup runs will help soften the blow from staying down.Well done Stubbsy.

Lucius Apuleius
06-02-2016, 07:21 AM
No bloody way should he be binned in the unlikely event we do not get promoted.

Aldo
06-02-2016, 07:48 AM
We had been in decline since 2007 IMHO until our relegation. We cannot and must not sack a manager who has us winning and has manage to attract so many good young players to the club.

This is not a short fix but for the long term success and stability of the club.

Regardless of where we finish we must not sack Stubbs because he's everything that's right about the club right now and moving forward!

Hawick hibee
06-02-2016, 08:08 AM
Absolute nonsense!!!! 1st season Stubbs takes over the club are rock bottom, fact!!!!
Before he starts what players were left by the butcher regime had reported back with no one there to take pre-season Leeann Dempster brings in George Craig (from Falkirk) who calls a favour from a fitness/trainer who helps with the training, Leeann then gets Stubbs, he then has to try and build a team for the 1st game being weeks behind already. Hearts have been building up for a season to play in this league and are able to have a settled team due to their -15 points basically relegating them the season before. Factor Rangers in this league too.
We start slow due to being weeks behind but then as the players buy into the Hibs/Stubbs way they finish 2nd. We just miss out on play-offs. This season we are in the league with a stronger Rangers team who still have resources bigger than ours but yet again I think the quality of player Stubbs is attracting to Hibs whilst in the championship is statement to how good a manager he is becoming. We have all the fuss surrounding Scott Allan but Stubbs and the board stand firm and get us a deal Henderson, mcgeouch and cash good management in my eyes.
We are at this point 5 points behind if we win our game in hand still to play them here. We have beaten 3 teams in the league above to reach a cup final, playing some of the best football seen at Easter Rd for years (fact). Stubbs should go????
Have a think to yerself, there are structures and teams on the park and off since the arrival of Stubbs that will keep Hibs progressing and hopefully never find Hibernian fc in a situation like we were before the arrival of Stubbs, Leeann and the rest of the staff.
I am great full we are finally getting the enjoyment back in watching our beloved team and think Stubbs is delivering results and is the right man to put us back in the top league hopefully this season but I will back his corner to get the job done!!!!

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-02-2016, 08:16 AM
Stay away from the derby predictions page then according to most on that we will be lucky be on the same park:confused:

Really. ? Fairly balanced mix of opinions expressed which is the whole point of a discussion. The stick out post describing it is defeatest, is your own. ?

Mikeystewart
06-02-2016, 08:26 AM
Nonsense!

In the league P22 W16 D3 L3. In the (proper) cups it's all wins up until now.

You'd bin him anyway?

Who do you think would do better?

:agree:

Hibs Promotion Season 98/99: P36 W28 D5 L3.

Stubbs could eclipse this record and still not get promoted, no danger should Hibs even contemplate a replacement. Mitigating circumstances this season.

s.a.m
06-02-2016, 08:30 AM
Absolute nonsense!!!! 1st season Stubbs takes over the club are rock bottom, fact!!!!
Before he starts what players were left by the butcher regime had reported back with no one there to take pre-season Leeann Dempster brings in George Craig (from Falkirk) who calls a favour from a fitness/trainer who helps with the training, Leeann then gets Stubbs, he then has to try and build a team for the 1st game being weeks behind already. Hearts have been building up for a season to play in this league and are able to have a settled team due to their -15 points basically relegating them the season before. Factor Rangers in this league too.
We start slow due to being weeks behind but then as the players buy into the Hibs/Stubbs way they finish 2nd. We just miss out on play-offs. This season we are in the league with a stronger Rangers team who still have resources bigger than ours but yet again I think the quality of player Stubbs is attracting to Hibs whilst in the championship is statement to how good a manager he is becoming. We have all the fuss surrounding Scott Allan but Stubbs and the board stand firm and get us a deal Henderson, mcgeouch and cash good management in my eyes.
We are at this point 5 points behind if we win our game in hand still to play them here. We have beaten 3 teams in the league above to reach a cup final, playing some of the best football seen at Easter Rd for years (fact). Stubbs should go????
Have a think to yerself, there are structures and teams on the park and off since the arrival of Stubbs that will keep Hibs progressing and hopefully never find Hibernian fc in a situation like we were before the arrival of Stubbs, Leeann and the rest of the staff.
I am great full we are finally getting the enjoyment back in watching our beloved team and think Stubbs is delivering results and is the right man to put us back in the top league hopefully this season but I will back his corner to get the job done!!!!

...and another 4 exclamation marks from me.:aok: Maybe even 5.

J-C
06-02-2016, 09:01 AM

If the stories were true, then Fergie was about 1 game away from being binned by United, he wins the game and the rest is history. Are you not getting royally pissed off having to change manager every 18-24 months, we have a wonderful team in place and we must stick by them until they decide on pastures new, going to see Hibs is enjoyable once more and even talking about them is positive again.

Aldo
06-02-2016, 09:04 AM
If the stories were true, then Fergie was about 1 game away from being binned by United, he wins the game and the rest is history. Are you not getting royally pissed off having to change manager every 18-24 months, we have a wonderful team in place and we must stick by them until they decide on pastures new, going to see Hibs is enjoyable once more and even talking about them is positive again.

I believe he was. I am more than happy to stick with Stubbs I just hope he wants to stick with us.

Jones28
06-02-2016, 09:05 AM

It would be ludicrous to get rid of Stubbs if we don't go up this season. It'll be through the playoffs unfortunately IMO, but we will be on the top flight next season.

Franck Stanton
06-02-2016, 09:30 AM

Wow - what a post. Excellent mate just excellent. Agree with every word and sentiment. Well said. [written ] :top marks

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-02-2016, 09:48 AM
It would be ludicrous to get rid of Stubbs if we don't go up this season. It'll be through the playoffs unfortunately IMO, but we will be on the top flight next season.

Trouble is that decisions of that nature are often taken in the absence of a cool head. FWIW , in the unlikely position that we don't go up, it could be that Stubbs has his own opinions on the way forward.

Thecat23
06-02-2016, 12:21 PM
I'm still waiting on Steve20 to tell us who would be a better replacement for Stubbs on the budget we have?

3pm
06-02-2016, 12:22 PM
I'm still waiting on Steve20 to tell us who would be a better replacement for Stubbs on the budget we have?

Pat Fenlon, Colin Calderwood and Terry Butcher to name three.

Thecat23
06-02-2016, 12:33 PM
Pat Fenlon, Colin Calderwood and Terry Butcher to name three.

Ah three of the best managers around!! 😂

Aldo
06-02-2016, 12:38 PM
Ah three of the best managers around!! dde02

You can add Collins to that bunch

superfurryhibby
06-02-2016, 12:55 PM
My feeling is that we took a gamble on a rookie manager and he is still developing in terms of tactical astuteness, but he has helped turn this club around superbly. It's not just the style of play etc, Stubbs seems to have the character, charisma, magnetism and indefatigability needed to manage a club of our stature.

Group dynamics in any business is a complex issues and it seems that we have been nurturing a level of togetherness at ER that hasn't been seen in a very long time. This team is on the cusp of doing something special, it has the potential to achieve a great deal and whilst many people, especially the fans and Ms Dempster deserve credit for their contribution, Stubbs is the thing that's bringing it all together and is our magic ingredient.

There have been blips, the game V TheHun was a wake up call that said we're no quite as good as we would like to be, but I'll bet anything it doesn't happen the next time we play them.

Stubbs is taking us places, relax, hope on board and enjoy the journey! There are no maps, we travel by inspiration!

Thecat23
06-02-2016, 01:13 PM
My feeling is that we took a gamble on a rookie manager and he is still developing in terms of tactical astuteness, but he has helped turn this club around superbly. It's not just the style of play etc, Stubbs seems to have the character, charisma, magnetism and indefatigability needed to manage a club of our stature.

Group dynamics in any business is a complex issues and it seems that we have been nurturing a level of togetherness at ER that hasn't been seen in a very long time. This team is on the cusp of doing something special, it has the potential to achieve a great deal and whilst many people, especially the fans and Ms Dempster deserve credit for their contribution, Stubbs is the thing that's bringing it all together and is our magic ingredient.

There have been blips, the game V TheHun was a wake up call that said we're no quite as good as we would like to be, but I'll bet anything it doesn't happen the next time we play them.

Stubbs is taking us places, relax, hope on board and enjoy the journey! There are no maps, we travel by inspiration!

According to my sat nav we are on route to victory lane 😎

blackpoolhibs
06-02-2016, 01:30 PM

Thats a bit unfair really, i'd put money on nobody picking Alan Stubbs as the man to replace Butcher. None of us are paid to make these decisions, and most of us have no real idea what management skills any young coach in England may or may not have?

Thecat23
06-02-2016, 01:32 PM
Thats a bit unfair really, i'd put money on nobody picking Alan Stubbs as the man to replace Butcher. None of us are paid to make these decisions, and most of us have no real idea what management skills any young coach in England may or may not have?

Sorry BH he's came out with a statement that Stubbs should be sacked if we don't go up. So id like to know who he would think could fill his boots. If we don't go up (I think we will btw) then we don't just sack the best thing that's happened to us in god knows how many years.

blackpoolhibs
06-02-2016, 01:37 PM
Sorry BH he's came out with a statement that Stubbs should be sacked if we don't go up. So id like to know who he would think could fill his boots. If we don't go up (I think we will btw) then we don't just sack the best thing that's happened to us in god knows how many years.

I did see that, but we really have no idea who should be replacing him if he's sacked or leaves for another club. In fact i'd imagine the club will be looking at this as we speak, they should be looking into who they might see as his successor.

We i'd imagine wont be anywhere near guessing who it is. :greengrin

Franck Stanton
06-02-2016, 01:37 PM

Exactly. Sack Stubbs ? Must be either drunk or mad imo

Ged
06-02-2016, 01:42 PM

Yeah, but you don't like him and recently labeled him a "dud", which makes you the second stupidest person on here.

Thecat23
06-02-2016, 02:07 PM
I did see that, but we really have no idea who should be replacing him if he's sacked or leaves for another club. In fact i'd imagine the club will be looking at this as we speak, they should be looking into who they might see as his successor.

We i'd imagine wont be anywhere near guessing who it is. :greengrin

The club will have a list I've no doubt at all about that. It won't be the Fenlons or Butchers that's for sure. Steve20 has pretty much said before he doesn't rate Stubbs so it's no real surprise he's come out with this! I just think some people need to look at the bigger picture and if we were to go out and sack Stubbs it would be one of the biggest mistakes the club has ever made regarding sacking managers.

jacomo
06-02-2016, 02:59 PM

The guy who managed some of the best Hibs performances in recent years, won a Cup and never threatened with relegation? That Collins?

Aye right you are then. :rolleyes:

Hibernia&Alba
06-02-2016, 04:26 PM
He's done superbly, particularly when you consider he's new to management and is learning his trade on the job. If he continues in this manner, it won't be long before bigger clubs start paying close attention; and it's my hope we're promoted before that should happen.

B.H.F.C
06-02-2016, 04:41 PM
The club will have a list I've no doubt at all about that. It won't be the Fenlons or Butchers that's for sure. Steve20 has pretty much said before he doesn't rate Stubbs so it's no real surprise he's come out with this! I just think some people need to look at the bigger picture and if we were to go out and sack Stubbs it would be one of the biggest mistakes the club has ever made regarding sacking managers.

To an extent I agree. Especially when he has such a good chance of silverwear. But his number one priority has to be promotion and he has to achieve that.

If we fail to get promoted but win a cup then it would earn him another shot. Afterall it's not often Hibs win anything. But if we finish the season with nothing to show for it then how many chances do we give him?

All a bit hypothetical and I think we will go up, probably in the playoffs. It doesn't matter how we go up, we just need to make sure we do.

Andy74
06-02-2016, 05:50 PM

Remember you wanted Fenlon sacked and you very much promoted Butcher as the successor. We know how that ended. So, does he really have to name a suitable successor?

Aldo
06-02-2016, 05:55 PM
The guy who managed some of the best Hibs performances in recent years, won a Cup and never threatened with relegation? That Collins? Aye right you are then. :rolleyes:

I know what your saying however it's fair to say he brought in quite a few number of players that were... Well not great.

We did have some good performances with the others but few and far between.

blackpoolhibs
06-02-2016, 05:56 PM
Remember you wanted Fenlon sacked and you very much promoted Butcher as the successor. We know how that ended. So, does he really have to name a suitable successor?

Ouch. :greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
06-02-2016, 05:56 PM

To be fair, many of us thought Butcher would be a good appointment, myself included. He'd done a good job at ICT with fewer resources and was seen as a strong character who could organise well. Turned out he was the worst manager we'd ever had. Well, what's done is done, and we have to get on with it, but Stubbs has done a terrific job and we'd be mad to sack him, even if we fail to win promotion, IMO. We're clearly making good progress.

jabis
06-02-2016, 06:25 PM

Brilliant,saved me having to type it.🍺

Eyrie
06-02-2016, 06:27 PM
There is no point to suggesting that Stubbs should be sacked unless you have a clear idea of a realistic replacement who can be reasonably expected to do a better job.

So I'm backing Stubbs on the evidence to date.

3pm
06-02-2016, 06:29 PM

Who else have you got named in your 'Femlon out' file?

lucky
06-02-2016, 06:33 PM

Wrong

It's always good to be a Hibbie 👍

Thecat23
06-02-2016, 06:52 PM

Correct. I was right about Fenlon waaay off with Butcher. But at least I can admit when wrong on a manager. Your defending of Pat was bordering mental.

Out of interest do you think Stubbs should be sacked if we don't go up?

Thecat23
06-02-2016, 06:55 PM
Who else have you got named in your 'Femlon out' file?

😂

Andy will NEVER say Fenlon was a poor manager and eveyone was wrong who wanted him out!

Northernhibee
06-02-2016, 10:03 PM

Andy will NEVER say Fenlon was a poor manager and eveyone was wrong who wanted him out!

TBF if we kept him to the end of the season and just didn't renew his contract we'd likely still be a top flight team.

Thecat23
06-02-2016, 10:17 PM
TBF if we kept him to the end of the season and just didn't renew his contract we'd likely still be a top flight team.

I agree, but we wouldn't have had the overhaul that we so badly needed! We would have sailed blindly and hopelessly through the years like we had the previous ones happy to avoid relegation.

If going down meant a complete change of direction and bringing in someone like Stubbs and his team along with LD I'd take going down everytime.

poolman
06-02-2016, 10:34 PM

Dearie bloody me

J-C
07-02-2016, 12:33 AM
Wrong

It's always good to be a Hibbie 

Both seem correct, a lot of posters here are also unsure

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?304535-Hibees-or-Hibbies

Purehibee_MYB
07-02-2016, 12:41 AM
I agree, but we wouldn't have had the overhaul that we so badly needed! We would have sailed blindly and hopelessly through the years like we had the previous ones happy to avoid relegation.

If going down meant a complete change of direction and bringing in someone like Stubbs and his team along with LD I'd take going down everytime.

I don't know if I agree with you TC.. If you look at Aberdeen they were very much in a similar position to Hibs and although they also didn't wait until the end of the season to sack Craig brown, it didn't take relegation for them to completely change their fortunes.

I agree that relegation has allowed us to find a new approach but I don't think relegation has to happen for a new approach to happen.

I also don't think you're disagreeing with this- but wanted to make the point anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoomtownHibees
07-02-2016, 07:05 AM

Was LD not due to come in anyway?

J-C
07-02-2016, 07:22 AM
Was LD not due to come in anyway?

Yes but if we'd stayed up would she stick or twist with Butcher, all hypothetical as we don't know what plans she had for us.

bingo70
07-02-2016, 08:09 AM
The Stubbs debate was done to death in the summer. The answer then is the same as it is now, it's not as black and white as saying promotion or bust. If we continue our current form but get pipped at the end then of course he shouldn't get sacked.

If we have a disastrous end to the season and blow our chances by losing a few matches then he'd have failed so his position should be considered.

eastcoasthibby
07-02-2016, 08:20 AM
Yes but if we'd stayed up would she stick or twist with Butcher, all hypothetical as we don't know what plans she had for us.

A bit unbelievable to even be having a debate, all be it thankfully heavily supportive of AS and the job done so far. We are at the real business end of the season and working hard to win each game as it comes along , which says it all about the desire to bring success to our club again. AS is not only a winner but IMO, has a very balanced approach taking everything into account to be a top all round manager and leader , delivering on the pitch and off it to install the integrity and structure of Hibernian as a club and community.
Someone earlier mentioned the bigger picture and whilst promotion is the priority , let us not forget where we were 20 months ago !! And what is in place now and continues to develop , because AS and LD primarily have put in place more than what we see on the park , but are 're-building the club as an entity.
I do not doubt the importance of promotion and like everyone else crave it this season, I think we will get it and AS will give it a real go next season in the Premier, unless a really good opportunity presents to him. He is a guy of integrity and commitment, and I think whilst people are entitled to their opinions , that even raising a view that he should be sacked if we don't get promoted is so short sighted and remiss of the real job done , it lacks a respect and understanding of what it's been about and taken to get to where we are.
The jobs not done and AS may well not see it out , but it shouldn't be due to being sacked on failing to get promotion this year ...it should only be because a bigger club recognises his skills and abilities to do a solid job.
At this time, we as fans should be focussing on giving the maximum support possible and trying to encourage stay away , detached fans to get back to ER every home game and then lets see what happens as the season end unfolds ..back AS to the hilt and the players, forget about all this negative stuff, let's do our bit in pushing the players on the pitch to win each game as it comes along and if we do this our debate will be non existent !!

Stonewall
07-02-2016, 08:27 AM

That is a very interesting question.

It seems to me that LD had a very clear idea of the sort of manager she wanted and the people and structure to support that. It's hard to see how Pinky and Perky could have fitted into that. When she interviewed Butcher for his job she must have been made aware of all the behind the scenes problems so Butcher was going to have to interview incredibly well to keep his job.

In view of the above she couldn't keep him on without compromising her overall plan before she even started, the arguments for keeping him would be if she was convinced he could take the club in the direction she wanted and no doubt financial. Relegation certainly made that an easy decision, but suspect she saw through him pretty quickly.

neil7908
07-02-2016, 08:41 AM
He's done really well so far and now comes the inevitable speculation linking him with other jobs (piece in the Guardian today pushing for Delia's exit with Stubbs suggested as a replacement).

However, we need to go up this year in my eyes. That doesn't necessarily mean win the league but we MUST be an SPL team next year for him to be judged a success in my book

bigwheel
07-02-2016, 08:59 AM
He's done really well so far and now comes the inevitable speculation linking him with other jobs (piece in the Guardian today pushing for Delia's exit with Stubbs suggested as a replacement).

However, we need to go up this year in my eyes. That doesn't necessarily mean win the league but we MUST be an SPL team next year for him to be judged a success in my book

Funny how that piece is written by Ewan Murray..a pretty bitter Jambo journo in my experience....poor piece of writing..

CentreLine
07-02-2016, 09:07 AM

Stubbsie has been a magnificent breath of fresh air in every way as a manage IMHO but winning this one today would leave a feel good factor carrying us, not just to the next round of this cup but to the LC final and well in to next season.

Over to you AS and your team on and off the park

KeithTheHibby
07-02-2016, 09:53 AM

Absolute horse **** having JC in with those 3.
Are you forgetting March 2007??

Eyrie
07-02-2016, 10:13 AM

On the other hand, look at the number of duds he signed. Collins gets an easy ride because of that Cup win, but it shouldn't be the only measure of his inability to manage.

Aldo
07-02-2016, 10:14 AM
Absolute horse **** having JC in with those 3. Are you forgetting March 2007??

It's not just about that day! Bigger picture and the demise from that day forth.

And I won't take the HA comment as an insult this time and there was no need IMHO!

J-C
07-02-2016, 11:03 AM
A bit unbelievable to even be having a debate, all be it thankfully heavily supportive of AS and the job done so far. We are at the real business end of the season and working hard to win each game as it comes along , which says it all about the desire to bring success to our club again. AS is not only a winner but IMO, has a very balanced approach taking everything into account to be a top all round manager and leader , delivering on the pitch and off it to install the integrity and structure of Hibernian as a club and community.
Someone earlier mentioned the bigger picture and whilst promotion is the priority , let us not forget where we were 20 months ago !! And what is in place now and continues to develop , because AS and LD primarily have put in place more than what we see on the park , but are 're-building the club as an entity.
I do not doubt the importance of promotion and like everyone else crave it this season, I think we will get it and AS will give it a real go next season in the Premier, unless a really good opportunity presents to him. He is a guy of integrity and commitment, and I think whilst people are entitled to their opinions , that even raising a view that he should be sacked if we don't get promoted is so short sighted and remiss of the real job done , it lacks a respect and understanding of what it's been about and taken to get to where we are.
The jobs not done and AS may well not see it out , but it shouldn't be due to being sacked on failing to get promotion this year ...it should only be because a bigger club recognises his skills and abilities to do a solid job.
At this time, we as fans should be focussing on giving the maximum support possible and trying to encourage stay away , detached fans to get back to ER every home game and then lets see what happens as the season end unfolds ..back AS to the hilt and the players, forget about all this negative stuff, let's do our bit in pushing the players on the pitch to win each game as it comes along and if we do this our debate will be non existent !!

Really trying hard to figure out why you've quoted me and then made the post you have when I'm in agreement with your post. I was replying to posts re LD and what her plans were and was relegation needed for the revolution to begin, not whether we should be backing AS, which I do.

J-C
07-02-2016, 11:07 AM

One game does not make a manager, following the signing of all the duds, he threw his rattle out the pram and left us without a care in the world, he hasn't exactly taken the world of management by storm since then has he?

vuefrom1875
07-02-2016, 07:49 PM
Love it, good post....jump on board and enjoy the ride..quality! !