PDA

View Full Version : This is why UEFA will never get rid of racism in football

Diclonius
04-02-2016, 07:34 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35496954

That is a pathetic punishment - the equivalent of one week's wages for one player. How often do you see Lazio get in bother for this sort of thing?

When will they get it into their heads that the solution is quite simple - automatic, non-appealable 3 point deduction after every instance of racist chanting in a league game, and automatic suspension (after an initial warning) from a knockout tournament should it take place in one of those competitions (suspension from next year's tournament should the team lose said game). Wait and see how fast the clubs suddenly decide they can deal with the racist problem.

Ah, wait, won't happen. Cause then the super-rich clubs will be held accountable and it'll cost money.

stevenhibs
04-02-2016, 07:36 PM
Just playing devils advocate here a bit....

What would happen if we were 3 points clear at the end of the season and this rule was in place. What if a whole load of rangers fans came along to our last game and started making monkey chants?

Something needs to be done and quickly but there is a lot to think about here.

Mr White
04-02-2016, 07:40 PM

What would happen if we were 3 points clear at the end of the season and this rule was in place. What if a whole load of rangers fans came along to our last game and started making monkey chants?

If that happened i suspect it wouldn't last very long and the a&e at the royal would see a sudden spike in admissions.

Eyrie
04-02-2016, 07:59 PM

I'd make it a series of escalating penalties - a warning, second warning, fine, larger fine, points deduction, larger points deduction, stand being closed for a game, ground being closed for a game, longer closures. A club would need a full year in the clear to drop a level.

So a club with a good track record would have nothing to fear from a one-off invasion. I can think of two clubs in Glasgow however who would have to budget for life without any gate money.

But then I believe that sectarianism should be stamped out and not used as a marketing gimmick.

Big_Franck
04-02-2016, 08:46 PM
Pathetic amount to fine them, it won't make any difference whatsoever. That level of fine won't have any impact on a club the size of Lazio's finances.

I don't agree with closing grounds, or parts of them, as a hundred racist eejits could get the whole stadium closed for a few games. Why should the rest of the season ticket holders miss games they have paid for because of a minority of idiots?

The only way it will be dealt with is if/when points deductions start. Can't see it happening any time soon though.