PDA

View Full Version : 10 years ago today

BOB MARLEYS DUG
04-02-2016, 07:09 PM
What a day and what a game http://youtu.be/x-ZZfEOzBPE

My first and only time at Ibrox.

Hibernia&Alba
04-02-2016, 07:16 PM
Where does the time go? It's frightening.

Higgy115
04-02-2016, 07:17 PM
Magnificent day out.

zlatan
04-02-2016, 07:21 PM
The league cup penalty shoot out against the huns is 13 years (the link says 2004 but nah it was 2003 I'm sure) tomorrow which horrifies me. I remember taking my first ever picture using a mobile at that match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVnigShdkZ4

The commentary (Butcher on co comms) is mental :hilarious

Bayern Bru
04-02-2016, 07:21 PM
One of the best away games I've been at.

iwasthere1972
04-02-2016, 07:24 PM
10 years. Holy moly.

Watched the match in an Edinburgh pub. The old Rangers scored when we were 2-0 up and a hun who was sitting next to me gave a big 'Come on Rangers' and quickly disappeared to the bogs. The goal was disallowed and the hun, when he came back from the bogs, couldn't quite work out why the score on the telly was still showing 2-0 to the Hibees. Not sure what happened to him when Killen scored the third.

:flag: :flag:

Dalianwanda
04-02-2016, 07:28 PM
I seem to remember a lone rangers fan at the end covered in union jacks and old rangers stuff giving the Hibs end abuse then tripping up the steps as he walked away!? Great day, great memories...Mental Hibs support..

Ryan91
04-02-2016, 07:38 PM
What a day and what a game http://youtu.be/x-ZZfEOzBPE

My first and only time at Ibrox.

I remember that Day so clearly, it was magical seeing us pump the Hun yet again that season.

wookie70
04-02-2016, 08:19 PM
Great footage and saw me watching another 10 or so Hibs vids. Finished with the 4-3 semi which I haven't watched since the day of the match. I forgot just how much went on in that game. 7 goals Falkirk missed two one on ones. Hibs perfectly good goal and a stonewaller denied and a Penalty missed. Never mind all the saves. What a game.

Pretty Boy
04-02-2016, 08:25 PM
10 years ago, I was still a bloody teenager. Where does the time go?

What a day.

CorrieHibs
04-02-2016, 08:44 PM
I seem to remember a lone rangers fan at the end covered in union jacks and old rangers stuff giving the Hibs end abuse then tripping up the steps as he walked away!? Great day, great memories...Mental Hibs support..

Hahaha I remember that guy. We were just all laughing at him.

California-Hibs
04-02-2016, 09:03 PM
Arrested for the very first and only time, 'breach of the peace'. I was one of those very unlucky instances of their - 'lift any Hibee who is singing and having a good time' policy. It was absolutely terrible!

I had been given tickets right at the segregation point so was right beside them, had to endure a strong whirlwind of abuse the whole first half, particularly from 3 complete idiots who were literally right across from us. I was at the game with my dad and a pal.

Game unfolds and as usual Hibs fans in good voice, turning towards the Rangers fans at certain points while singing with arms aloft - 'And IF you KNOW your history!' That kind of thing. The 3 mentioned guys were doing throat slitting actions, natzi salutes, threw a cup of cola, aswel as in starting a lot of the sectarian songs in the area.

Half time comes (0-0 mind!!) dad goes off for a pee. I see a police officer coming along the
Isle, I think nothing of it and look back at my phone. Next thing I know he grabs me, I drop my phone, he physically pulls me back along the isle, once at the steps throws the cuffs on me, Hibs fans all around going mental at this point shouting and booing.

Walks me up to the top of the stairs, just as my dad is walking back down them from being at the bathroom. He naturally is confused and starts shouting 'oi, where you taking my son, what's going on?' Etc. all of which falls on def ears.

Taken to their temporary holding area within the stadium, totally gutted and very shaken up by this point. Was only 17 at the time!

The 2nd halfs underway, I'm in a holding cell at this point within the stadium. The walls literally start shaking all of a sudden out of know where. 'Argh, Rangers goal for sure, thinks me'. 5 minutes later my cell door swings open, with the officer shouting while throwing someone in with me, 'you get in there now!'. Guy falls to the floor then looks up at me in my Hibs top, jumps to his feet and grabs me - 'GARRY OCONNOR!!!!!' And proceeds to explain the goal, why he was thrown out etc.

2 more times we experienced the cell shaking. Had to be 1-2 Rangers we thought, it was way too loud not to be. An officer came to check on us sometime later. 'What was the score??? We franticly asked! Through a screwed up face 'ah, 3 nill to Hibs' ....'aye right, c'mon, seriously what was it? 2-1 Rangers?'......'3 Effin NILL!' SLAM!

Me and the stranger in his 30s jump up and down in delight, although still a bit cautious that we were being wound up.

Later we were then told we were being moved to Govan Prison, and they put the cuffs back on us and issued us out the stadium. There was literally thousands of Rangers fans that we were being walked past. With a huge grin on my face, but silent as a mouse, I mostly kept my head down as we walked. Then all of a sudden I feel spit smack right into my ear! 'Fu** you ya little fenian IRA *******'. The officer done nothing and we kept on walking. I couldn't keep quiet at this point, raging that the Guy was able to just walk in care free, I shouted back - '3 fu**in nill, get it up Ye!!'

Anyway back of the van we both went. On the way there the other Hibs fan starts telling me 'oh I hope we aren't put in with a bunch of Rangers fans, you don't want that son. Oi please officer don't put us in with them, please'. Bare in mind I'm 17 and all sorts are running through my head at the point - where was my dad and friend, what's a proper 'prison cell' gonna be like, what would happen if we were in with Rangers fans, surely they wouldn't allow us to have our heads kicked in etc. Was flippin terrified to say the least.

Well it turns out we were given separate cells. All I can remember is shouting, like being in a mental asylum. 'Oi Davey you there? Aye mate, fu** the pope!' 'Hahaha Davy class man, wit was the score the day?' Etc, stuff like that.

Kept me in there for 2 hours. Then my dad had arrived and I was let go.

First thing I shouted to him as I saw him in reception - 'was it bloody really 3 nill?!?! He nodded.

Still can't to this day really believe it, missed one of the best results going, all for absolutely nothing.

Lucky for me I had already experienced a certain Sproule hat trick though...

They are complete dogs through there.

marinello59
04-02-2016, 09:09 PM
Possibly my best ever Hibs away day. 10 years? Wow!

Pete
04-02-2016, 09:13 PM
Rangers fans demonstrating after the match.

Lol

Stax
04-02-2016, 09:33 PM
Arrested for the very first and only time, 'breach of the peace'. I was one of those very unlucky instances of their - 'lift any Hibee who is singing and having a good time' policy. It was absolutely terrible!

I had been given tickets right at the segregation point so was right beside them, had to endure a strong whirlwind of abuse the whole first half, particularly from 3 complete idiots who were literally right across from us. I was at the game with my dad and a pal.

Game unfolds and as usual Hibs fans in good voice, turning towards the Rangers fans at certain points while singing with arms aloft - 'And IF you KNOW your history!' That kind of thing. The 3 mentioned guys were doing throat slitting actions, natzi salutes, threw a cup of cola, aswel as in starting a lot of the sectarian songs in the area.

Half time comes (0-0 mind!!) dad goes off for a pee. I see a police officer coming along the
Isle, I think nothing of it and look back at my phone. Next thing I know he grabs me, I drop my phone, he physically pulls me back along the isle, once at the steps throws the cuffs on me, Hibs fans all around going mental at this point shouting and booing.

Walks me up to the top of the stairs, just as my dad is walking back down them from being at the bathroom. He naturally is confused and starts shouting 'oi, where you taking my son, what's going on?' Etc. all of which falls on def ears.

Taken to their temporary holding area within the stadium, totally gutted and very shaken up by this point. Was only 17 at the time!

The 2nd halfs underway, I'm in a holding cell at this point within the stadium. The walls literally start shaking all of a sudden out of know where. 'Argh, Rangers goal for sure, thinks me'. 5 minutes later my cell door swings open, with the officer shouting while throwing someone in with me, 'you get in there now!'. Guy falls to the floor then looks up at me in my Hibs top, jumps to his feet and grabs me - 'GARRY OCONNOR!!!!!' And proceeds to explain the goal, why he was thrown out etc.

2 more times we experienced the cell shaking. Had to be 1-2 Rangers we thought, it was way too loud not to be. An officer came to check on us sometime later. 'What was the score??? We franticly asked! Through a screwed up face 'ah, 3 nill to Hibs' ....'aye right, c'mon, seriously what was it? 2-1 Rangers?'......'3 Effin NILL!' SLAM!

Me and the stranger in his 30s jump up and down in delight, although still a bit cautious that we were being wound up.

Later we were then told we were being moved to Govan Prison, and they put the cuffs back on us and issued us out the stadium. There was literally thousands of Rangers fans that we were being walked past. With a huge grin on my face, but silent as a mouse, I mostly kept my head down as we walked. Then all of a sudden I feel spit smack right into my ear! 'Fu** you ya little fenian IRA *******'. The officer done nothing and we kept on walking. I couldn't keep quiet at this point, raging that the Guy was able to just walk in care free, I shouted back - '3 fu**in nill, get it up Ye!!'

Anyway back of the van we both went. On the way there the other Hibs fan starts telling me 'oh I hope we aren't put in with a bunch of Rangers fans, you don't want that son. Oi please officer don't put us in with them, please'. Bare in mind I'm 17 and all sorts are running through my head at the point - where was my dad and friend, what's a proper 'prison cell' gonna be like, what would happen if we were in with Rangers fans, surely they wouldn't allow us to have our heads kicked in etc. Was flippin terrified to say the least.

Well it turns out we were given separate cells. All I can remember is shouting, like being in a mental asylum. 'Oi Davey you there? Aye mate, fu** the pope!' 'Hahaha Davy class man, wit was the score the day?' Etc, stuff like that.

First thing I shouted to him as I saw him in reception - 'was it bloody really 3 nill?!?! He nodded.

Still can't to this day really believe it, missed one of the best results going, all for absolutely nothing.

Great post :greengrin
cant believe it was 10 years ago..

Bishop Hibee
04-02-2016, 09:49 PM
Got the bus through from the Ship Inn Musselburgh. A few early morning Becks set me up nicely! Great day.

Jones28
04-02-2016, 09:54 PM
Fantastic day!

CL0762
04-02-2016, 09:59 PM
Got me a brand new pair of Nike vapours that result did. One of the best I've ever been at, sure we took over 7000 through that day.

Hermit Crab
04-02-2016, 10:13 PM
Got me a brand new pair of Nike vapours that result did. One of the best I've ever been at, sure we took over 7000 through that day.

5500 max.

erin go bragh
04-02-2016, 10:51 PM

Quite possibly the best Hi bee bounce ever . Great day and a great night too .

GGTTH

Salt N Sauzee
04-02-2016, 11:01 PM
My first ever game at Ibrox. Will never forget it! What a day.

Shame me about the rest of the cup run that year... Oh to be a Hibee eh :greengrin

JoeT_WasTheBest
04-02-2016, 11:05 PM
The league cup penalty shoot out against the huns is 13 years (the link says 2004 but nah it was 2003 I'm sure) tomorrow which horrifies me. I remember taking my first ever picture using a mobile at that match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVnigShdkZ4

The commentary (Butcher on co comms) is mental :hilarious

That was definitely 2004 mate. I was in between jobs and dragged the wife along [emoji3]

silverhibee
04-02-2016, 11:11 PM
Quite possibly the best Hi bee bounce ever . Great day and a great night too .

GGTTH

You could feel the stand moving.

Were Rangers playing in Europe through the week after that amazing game and it was against a Dutch side and the manager was watching Rangers, and he commented on Hibs being the best counter attacking team he had seen, very high praise from him.

What a team we had back then, I wonder how it would have panned out if we kept the players and manager together for another couple of years and seen what they would have achieved. Maybe nothing or maybe a cup or the league, on our day we were unstoppable and feared no team.

oneone73
04-02-2016, 11:11 PM
That was definitely 2004 mate. I was in between jobs and dragged the wife along [emoji3]

The final was in March 04. Thought the semi was around November 03?

silverhibee
04-02-2016, 11:17 PM
How long after this game was GOC sold.?

ehf
04-02-2016, 11:24 PM
5500 max.

:confused: we had the whole Broomloan, both tiers; think it was around 8,500.

Had some great footage on my old phone of us singing "can we play you every week?" But sadly lost now.

WHAM
04-02-2016, 11:36 PM
We were given the whole top tier and about 2/3rds of the bottom tier. Probably about the 7000 mark.

Amazing day.

LaMotta
04-02-2016, 11:37 PM
:confused: we had the whole Broomloan, both tiers; think it was around 8,500.

Had some great footage on my old phone of us singing "can we play you every week?" But sadly lost now.

HC is right. We only had 2/3rds of the stand.

cameronw-hfc
04-02-2016, 11:57 PM
Wee Ivan :hyper Absolute hero :not worth

cockneymike
05-02-2016, 06:52 AM

about 4 weeks http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/4752964.stm

I'd go as far as to say that win was probably the highpoint of Mowbray's team. Selling Gary was the beginning of the end...

lyonhibs
05-02-2016, 07:26 AM
10 years. Holy moly.

Watched the match in an Edinburgh pub. The old Rangers scored when we were 2-0 up and a hun who was sitting next to me gave a big 'Come on Rangers' and quickly disappeared to the bogs. The goal was disallowed and the hun, when he came back from the bogs, couldn't quite work out why the score on the telly was still showing 2-0 to the Hibees. Not sure what happened to him when Killen scored the third.

:flag: :flag:

I seem to remember the Ibrox scoreboard showing a temporary reticence to reflect the fact that the goal had been disallowed.

Living in Glasgow with a ginger Hun flatmate at the time, this was a particularly sweet victory for me. Oddly, his phone was on the blink for the duration of this match....

Danderhall Hibs
05-02-2016, 07:34 AM
The final was in March 04. Thought the semi was around November 03?

5/2/04 mate. It was my oldest daughter's 1st birthday - she's now a teenager.

Sure it was on Channel 5.

hibsbollah
05-02-2016, 07:37 AM
I was there. Best atmosphere I've ever experienced. And yes, the stand WAS moving.

Pretty Boy
05-02-2016, 07:56 AM

Did he not score in the next round against Falkirk away then pack his bags almost straight after the match?

lyonhibs
05-02-2016, 08:03 AM
5/2/04 mate. It was my oldest daughter's 1st birthday - she's now a teenager.

Sure it was on Channel 5.

Certainly was. I seem to remember being out for a friend's birthday and having to leave the pub seconds before Dobbie scored. We were just out the door so could hear the TV commentators going a bit tonto so ran back in to see who had scored.

The reaction to my subsequent jig of delight revealed the pub's patrons to be 99% Huns so I affected a sharp exit stage left with a cheesing grin on my face.

bigwheel
05-02-2016, 08:03 AM
Did he not score in the next round against Falkirk away then pack his bags almost straight after the match?

I think that Rangers game was his last game was it not..his transfer was announced a few days after...might be my memory failing me...

hibsbollah
05-02-2016, 08:12 AM
I think that Rangers game was his last game was it not..his transfer was announced a few days after...might be my memory failing me...

Falkirk was his last game. He scored iirc.
The Moscow transfer seemed to go on for ever, took weeks to get concluded which is probably why folk remember Ibrox as his swansong.

bigwheel
05-02-2016, 08:15 AM
Falkirk was his last game. He scored iirc.
The Moscow transfer seemed to go on for ever, took weeks to get concluded which is probably why folk remember Ibrox as his swansong.

Cheers for clearing that up ! :aok:

nickwhibs
05-02-2016, 08:24 AM

Certainly a bitter-sweet experience for you. Shocking treatment you received, but you had the last laugh! Sure that moment when your old man picked you up and confirmed the score was a fantastic feeling.

erin go bragh
05-02-2016, 09:34 AM
You could feel the stand moving.

Were Rangers playing in Europe through the week after that amazing game and it was against a Dutch side and the manager was watching Rangers, and he commented on Hibs being the best counter attacking team he had seen, very high praise from him.

What a team we had back then, I wonder how it would have panned out if we kept the players and manager together for another couple of years and seen what they would have achieved. Maybe nothing or maybe a cup or the league, on our day we were unstoppable and feared no team.

Yes Silver . Even with the wages and transfer Celtic and dead Rangers were paying , if we had kept hold of that team . We would have had a hell of a chance of winning the league . Hypothetically speaking , we could have made more money than we got for the transfers , with champion league money ,cup wins ,,, . If only eh :)

GGTTH

California-Hibs
05-02-2016, 10:16 AM
Certainly a bitter-sweet experience for you. Shocking treatment you received, but you had the last laugh! Sure that moment when your old man picked you up and confirmed the score was a fantastic feeling.

Brilliant feeling. Especially as I then shouted something along the lines of 'YES, OH YES!!! Get it right up them! Remember then looking around with a smug smile on my face the people who were working the reception, other officers, a few folk in the waiting area with Rangers tops on etc. The rage as all 3 of us walked out the door blanking everything they then started shouting by talking too loudly ourselves in high spirits. It was a priceless moment of pure 'get it up you' ness!

Pretty painful hearing my mate and dad explain in detail all the way in the car back to Edinburgh just how good the 2nd half was mind you!