PDA

View Full Version : Place to visit on Cup final day near Hampden

itslegaltender
04-02-2016, 04:35 PM
Would thoroughly reccomend visiting Cathkin Park , former home of Third Lanark who went bust in the 1960's. Terracing still on two sides of the ground complete with the old style crash barriers. You can wander on the terracing and on the park. Visited there for last cup final and found it all very surreal standing at the centre spot and seeing the terracing and outlines of advertisers on the boundary wall.

Its 5 mins walk from Hampden and makes you appreciate what we have and what can happen to football clubs run poorly.

Hibby70
04-02-2016, 04:40 PM
Going to Tynecastle twice in a week is enough retro days out for me thanks.

iwasthere1972
04-02-2016, 05:05 PM
Hopefully piling into The International Bar for a few swallies before the match. :aok:

Mr White
04-02-2016, 05:09 PM
Would thoroughly reccomend visiting Cathkin Park , former home of Third Lanark who went bust in the 1960's. Terracing still on two sides of the ground complete with the old style crash barriers. You can wander on the terracing and on the park. Visited there for last cup final and found it all very surreal standing at the centre spot and seeing the terracing and outlines of advertisers on the boundary wall.

Its 5 mins walk from Hampden and makes you appreciate what we have and what can happen to football clubs run poorly.
:agree: visited before the falkirk semi last year and would recommend it for anyone who's interested in football history.

The Harp
04-02-2016, 05:11 PM
Have been meaning to visit Cathkin for years now and still haven't got around to it. Was there with Hibs a few times in the 60s so would love to see what's left of the old place

Lancs Harp
04-02-2016, 05:27 PM
I'm a bit of a football anorak when it comes to things like this so I think I may pay a visit.

Isnt it owned by the council now? Do they still play football there or has the pitch disappeared?

Mr White
04-02-2016, 05:32 PM
I'm a bit of a football anorak when it comes to things like this so I think I may pay a visit.

Isnt it owned by the council now? Do they still play football there or has the pitch disappeared?

It's used. There was an amateur game on while we were there last april.

iwasthere1972
04-02-2016, 05:34 PM

Third Lanark. How did they go bust? Just before my time but wish I had the honour of seeing the Hibees at Cathkin Park.

Hibs07p
04-02-2016, 05:54 PM
I'm surprised it is still there and not been developed. I remember being taken there prior to 1971 SC Final. It meant little to me as a 12 year old, but obviously meant something to the people on the bus that we were on.

GGTTH

JeMeSouviens
04-02-2016, 06:07 PM
Cathkin Park was previously Hampden Park before Queens Park moved to the current Hampden. So as well as the 3rd Lanark history, it's where the 1887 Hibees won the cup!

Lancs Harp
04-02-2016, 06:14 PM
Cathkin Park was previously Hampden Park before Queens Park moved to the current Hampden. So as well as the 3rd Lanark history, it's where the 1887 Hibees won the cup!

While we are talking history hasn't there been 3 Hampdens?

The Harp
04-02-2016, 06:22 PM
Third Lanark. How did they go bust? Just before my time but wish I had the honour of seeing the Hibees at Cathkin Park.

The times I went to watch Hibs at Cathkin were always trouble-free unlike our visits to Ibrox and even Firhill. Going to Shawfield for games v Clyde were usually fine and we never had much bother at Parkhead back then.
Being based in the same city as the old firm can't have been easy for Thirds. They didn't seem to have as many hard-core fans as Partick had in those days.

G-Reg
04-02-2016, 06:32 PM
I went along with a mate a while back to take a picture of him in the terrace, he wanted to visit Cathkin park as his uncle played against Third Lanark there.

Not sure if the link to the photo works on here

https://flic.kr/p/oxqpQB

iwasthere1972
04-02-2016, 07:11 PM
I went along with a mate a while back to take a picture of him in the terrace, he wanted to visit Cathkin park as his uncle played against Third Lanark there.

Not sure if the link to the photo works on here

https://flic.kr/p/oxqpQB

Every picture tells a story That could have been Tynecastle.

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-02-2016, 07:31 PM
The Allison Arms near Queens Park Station is a decent place to visit, a vast array of craft/German/Belgian bottled beers on offer.

JeMeSouviens
04-02-2016, 08:15 PM
While we are talking history hasn't there been 3 Hampdens?

Yep. Cathkin Park was the second. Current one is third.

Topographic Hibby
04-02-2016, 08:52 PM
Worth a visit. Very spooky as well. Many football and financial ghosts can be felt around the place.

The SFA should set up and table in the centre spot when they complete the Fit and Proper Person form, just to let the spirits have a little word in their shell like. Had a casual kick about on the pitch back in the 80s, so I think I might have another visit next month on the 13th.

itslegaltender
04-02-2016, 11:43 PM
This was my last visit last year.