04-02-2016, 09:59 AM
Assuming Fyvie and Fontaine are injured, I'd go for this:

Oxley

Gray McGregor Hanlon Stevenson

Bartley

McGeouch McGinn

Henderson

Stokes Cummings

Bartley wasn't quoted against Morton so there is a chance he's injured as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andrew70
04-02-2016, 09:59 AM
Oxley

Gray
Hanlon
Fontaine
Stevenson

Bartley/Fyvie

Henderson
McGeouch
McGinn

Cummings
Dagnall

S4uzee
04-02-2016, 10:00 AM
I'd start Dagnall and Cummings up top with Stokes coming off the bench

Onion
04-02-2016, 10:16 AM
I'd start Dagnall and Cummings up top with Stokes coming off the bench

IMO, to win this, we need to get the first goal so Stokes would be on from start. Also the Yams hate him for good reason, he's killed them in the past. Throw everything at the early doors and lets see how good they are.

Coults1875
04-02-2016, 10:36 AM
IMO, to win this, we need to get the first goal so Stokes would be on from start. Also the Yams hate him for good reason, he's killed them in the past. Throw everything at the early doors and lets see how good they are.

Yep! Stokes on from the start to put pressure on their goal. Hopefully grab a couple. Then have dagnall on nearer the end who can keep running at defenders and hold them back.

dmc1875
04-02-2016, 10:44 AM
My main worry is getting done down the flanks with the pace hearts have and how narrow we are in midfield.

id go:

oxley

mcgregor
hanlon
fontaine

gray
stevenson

mcgeouch
mcginn
henderson

stokes
cummings

nellio
04-02-2016, 10:47 AM
I've got a feeling it will be 3-5-2

Oxley

Mcgregor
Fontaine
Hanlon

Grey
Stevenson

McGeouch
McGinn
Henderson

Stokes
Cummins

Same team as above but I would have Hanlon on the left of the 3 and Fonts in the middle. Dylan sitting deeper.

Since90+2
04-02-2016, 10:49 AM
If we are worried about getting done down the flanks the last thing we want to do is play a 3-5-2.

Playing with wing backs leaves you more exposed out wide than a standard 4-4-2 would do.

nellio
04-02-2016, 10:54 AM
If we are worried about getting done down the flanks the last thing we want to do is play a 3-5-2.

Playing with wing backs leaves you more exposed out wide than a standard 4-4-2 would do.

Maybe, depends how far up the park the wing backs are playing. Mind you, would be very defensive and almost defeating the point of wing backs having then playing deeper thinking about it now.

Mark79
04-02-2016, 11:19 AM
Is Leon Osman eligible?

HibsNutter
04-02-2016, 11:35 AM
With Fyvie/Bartley struggling, and with no idea whether Thomson will be ready, we may be forced into playing 3-5-2.

Oxley

Gray
McGregor
Hanlon
Fontaine
Stevenson

McGinn
McGeouch
Henderson

Stokes
Cummings

Hibstrooper
04-02-2016, 11:35 AM
I'd be bringing Kevin Thomson in for this one.

- Experience
- Steel
- Will get in about them
- Hates the Hearts

Let McGeouch, McGinn and Henderson rip them a new one and Thommo do all the dirty work.

Salt N Sauzee
04-02-2016, 11:51 AM
Is Leon Osman eligible?

Not sure.

Has Stokes signed yet?

04-02-2016, 12:42 PM
Bartley wasn't quoted against Morton so there is a chance he's injured as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He wasn't well, should be fine for sunday.

allezsauzee
04-02-2016, 12:51 PM
If Thomson is fit I wouldnt be surprised if he starts regardless of the situation with Fyvie and Bartley as we could do with his experience of derbies in the middle. We know they'll kick lumps out of us and the referee is hardly going to do anything to stop this. Could we get Ian Murray back to take out one of their 'hard men' too?

NadeAteMyLunch!
04-02-2016, 01:18 PM
I've been impressed with Dagnall so far but I'm amazed folk are saying to start him before Stokes. Dagnall has played roughly 240 minutes so far and not scored, Stokes has played roughly 95 minutes and scored twice. He scores goals, it was he does. Let Dagnall run at them last 20 once they've tired. Stokes has to start. He would have buried the two late chances that Dagnall missed against St Johnstone for example.

JimBHibees
04-02-2016, 01:20 PM
I've been impressed with Dagnall so far but I'm amazed folk are saying to start him before Stokes. Dagnall has played roughly 240 minutes so far and not scored, Stokes has played roughly 95 minutes and scored twice. He scores goals, it was he does. Let Dagnall run at them last 20 once they've tired. Stokes has to start. He would have buried the two late chances that Dagnall missed against St Johnstone for example.

Personally would start with Dagnall with Stokes coming off the bench when the pace drops a bit second half.

NadeAteMyLunch!
04-02-2016, 01:23 PM
Personally would start with Dagnall with Stokes coming off the bench when the pace drops a bit second half.

Dagnall is pacier than Stokes though so should be able to capitalise on tired defenders more surely?

JimBHibees
04-02-2016, 01:28 PM
Dagnall is pacier than Stokes though so should be able to capitalise on tired defenders more surely?

I think he is also more match fit than Stokes will be at the moment however wouldn't really complain either way just a personal thought that Stokes may have more impact off the bench.

NadeAteMyLunch!
04-02-2016, 01:31 PM
I think he is also more match fit than Stokes will be at the moment however wouldn't really complain either way just a personal thought that Stokes may have more impact off the bench.

Hopefully they both score, regardless of who starts [emoji106]

NeilT
04-02-2016, 02:15 PM
McGregor was excellent on Tuesday night so I would have no worries if Fontaine didn't make it. But if he is okay, I think Fontaine will play. We are lucky to have three excellent CHs to choose from.

Fyvie would be a big loss so hopefully he makes it. I think he offers more than Bartley (who may well be injured anyway). If neither of these two make it, we could see Thomson make his (third) debut in this game.

Despite scoring, I didn't think Stokes looked that sharp against Morton. It will be a frenetic start and I would therefore go with Dagnall who is in constant motion. Bring Stokes on when things settle down.

It is a long time since we started a game 3-5-2 so I think it will be 4-4-2.

Dagnall Cummings

Henderson

McGinn McGeough

Fyvie

Stevenson Fontaine Hanlon Gray

Oxley

GlasgowHibee
04-02-2016, 02:30 PM
I think what's key is that we play to our strengths, rather than trying to limit theirs. What have we got to be scared of? Let's not sit back and try and counter, instead, get in their faces and challenge for the ball, hustle them, let's see how good they really are.

We have the better team and squad, let's prove it.

truehibernian
04-02-2016, 02:50 PM
I think what's key is that we play to our strengths, rather than trying to limit theirs. What have we got to be scared of? Let's not sit back and try and counter, instead, get in their faces and challenge for the ball, hustle them, let's see how good they really are.

We have the better team and squad, let's prove it.

A post that is right on the money and doesn't require further explanation - this is exactly the way a Stubbs side plays and thinks. Last season in all the derbies Hibs had a lot of possession home and away and played their own game - I see no different on Sunday either. Much has been made of their physicality however if you don't have the ball you're not going to hurt teams.

Hibs are the better side when in possession. Hearts are very direct. I think Henderson will be a key player for us - he's allowed to float and change flanks - very hard player to mark or track and I think he'll find a lot of space due to Hearts directness and want to get upfield quickly.

I think we have a great chance of winning - both sides are good.

Hibernia&Alba
04-02-2016, 02:54 PM
I'd be bringing Kevin Thomson in for this one.

- Experience
- Steel
- Will get in about them
- Hates the Hearts

Let McGeouch, McGinn and Henderson rip them a new one and Thommo do all the dirty work.

If he's ready to play, I would, too:

Oxley

Gray Hanlon Fontaine Stevenson

Fyvie/Bartley Thomson

McGeough Henderson McGinn

Cummings

Competitive in the midfield and still plenty of creativity up front.

iwasthere1972
04-02-2016, 03:00 PM
I've got a feeling it will be 3-5-2

Oxley

Mcgregor
Fontaine
Hanlon

Grey
Stevenson

McGeouch
McGinn
Henderson

Stokes
Cummins

Same team as above but I would have Hanlon on the left of the 3 and Fonts in the middle. Dylan sitting deeper.

The man from Del Monte says YES.

Got to start with Stokes. He scores goals and we really need to hit them first and not be chasing the game.

HibsNutter
04-02-2016, 03:08 PM
A post that is right on the money and doesn't require further explanation - this is exactly the way a Stubbs side plays and thinks. Last season in all the derbies Hibs had a lot of possession home and away and played their own game - I see no different on Sunday either. Much has been made of their physicality however if you don't have the ball you're not going to hurt teams.

Hibs are the better side when in possession. Hearts are very direct. I think Henderson will be a key player for us - he's allowed to float and change flanks - very hard player to mark or track and I think he'll find a lot of space due to Hearts directness and want to get upfield quickly.

I think we have a great chance of winning - both sides are good.

I agree. The way Hearts play relies on a sloppiness of passing from their opponents, they're very effective at harassing opponents, stealing the ball and attacking at pace. However, its a style that they cannot maintain for the full ninety minutes, they come flying out and try to win the game by half time. We need to trust our players to play their way, the passing style on the deck and trust that they'll be slick in possession which is vital against this Hearts team.

That said, if we are level or better going into the second half I'd be expecting us to take control.

truehibernian
04-02-2016, 03:45 PM
I agree. The way Hearts play relies on a sloppiness of passing from their opponents, they're very effective at harassing opponents, stealing the ball and attacking at pace. However, its a style that they cannot maintain for the full ninety minutes, they come flying out and try to win the game by half time. We need to trust our players to play their way, the passing style on the deck and trust that they'll be slick in possession which is vital against this Hearts team.

That said, if we are level or better going into the second half I'd be expecting us to take control.

Both games at Tynie last season we were on the front foot at the end - once seeking goals to get back into game, the other to grab the winner. I agree about being in the game as long as possible.