PDA

View Full Version : Five key points from last night

theonlywayisup
03-02-2016, 02:15 PM
Pretty sums up my thoughts on the game, McGeoch, Gunnarsson, Keatings and the referee!

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/morton-0-hibs-1-five-key-points-from-cappielow-1-4019856
Dylan McGeouch is far too good for the Championship
It was a pleasure, yet again, to watch Dylan McGeouch in action. The diminutive midfielder was again head-and-shoulders above anybody else on the pitch. He’s always available for the ball and very rarely loses it, continually prompting attacks and finding a Hibs counterpart in space. Without the ball, he’s intelligent enough to close down space and press opposition players. The three other main Hibs midfielders – Fraser Fyvie, John McGinn and Liam Henderson – all played their part too, but McGeouch is the vital cog in Hibs’ engine room. It’s a real surprise that Hibs didn’t lose out to clubs in the Premiership or down south when he became available in the summer, because he’s streets ahead of anybody else in the Championship.

On second viewing, Niklas Gunnarsson looks useful
It’s always too early to judge a player on his debut, but Norwegian Niklas Gunnarsson failed to impress when he made his debut at Stark’s Park in Hibs’ 2-0 Scottish Cup win over Raith in early January. He was much more assured in Greenock, however. He ably replaced David Gray – rested ahead of Sunday’s derby – at right back, driving forward at every opportunity and defending strongly. He was very rarely beaten by Bobby Barr on the wing and it was actually Gunnarsson who penned his Morton foe back, winning a fair few corners and offering Hibs width on the right. He barely missed a tackle either and appeared much more at home than he did a few weeks ago, which is only natural considering he’s had time to get fit and acclimatise to Scotland. It’s unlikely he’ll become Hibs’ first-choice right back, but the Valerenga loanee offered enough to assuage any fears that Hibs lack cover should Gray get injured.
Another 1-0 win for Hibs
The win at Morton was Hibs’ SEVENTH 1-0 victory in the league this season. For many years Hibs have been labelled as a side unable to churn out results when the going gets tough, but that’s exactly what they’ve been doing this season. In a title race, it’s imperative – especially away from home – to win at all costs, and substance is very much more important than style. Hibs were in control for most of last night’s match and could’ve won by more, but taking the points back to Edinburgh was mission accomplished as far as head coach Alan Stubbs was concerned, considering Saturday’s draining League Cup semi-final win. Last season, the Easter Road side dropped too many points when 1-0 wins would’ve more than sufficed, so it’s good to see them winning when not at their best. As the well-worn cliché goes, it’s the sign of champions after all.

A frustrating evening for James Keatings
Last night was a good chance for James Keatings to really show Stubbs what he can do. The former Hearts man will have been desperate to show his boss that he’s deserving of a starting place at his old stomping ground on Sunday. Did he do enough? Probably not. He was lively enough and always looking for possession, but too often the ball didn’t stick or the final product was lacking. His one big chance – a close-range header on the stroke of half-time – was too close to Derek Gaston and allowed him to make a save. Keatings clearly is a good player – he’s shown us that already this season – but it’s just not coming off for him right now. Jason Cummings, Anthony Stokes and Chris Dagnall are probably in better form right now, and it’s fair to assume Keatings is probably going to be a substitute against his former employers.

The standard of refereeing in the Championship is poor
Nobody likes slagging off referees, but it’s hard to ignore John McKendrick’s performance last night. Both sets of fans were irked by the official as he made a series of bemusing and incorrect calls. It was probably one of the worst officiating displays this season in a Hibs game. Morton players continually got away with clear fouls on McGeouch, Henderson and Fyvie, while the hosts can feel aggrieved that in the latter period of the match, McKendrick missed some infringements in promising positions. It wasn’t just at Cappielow last night where gripes were made about the referee. Euan Anderson got it in the neck from Ray McKinnon for chopping off a Raith goal against Rangers, while even in the Premiership, Barry Cook’s card-happy performance didn’t go down well with either Parick or Motherwell. It’s a sad fact that the further down the leagues you go, officialdom becomes less impressive, but even still, McKendrick’s performance made Willie Collum and, ahem, Craig Thomson look like Pierluigi Collina.

RCNG
03-02-2016, 04:26 PM
Aye. Wouldn't be bothered if Keatings never wrote a Hibs top again after that. Up against poor opposition and was never in the game. Movement was poor. Touch was poor. It's a no from me.

CallumLaidlaw
03-02-2016, 04:27 PM
Aye. Wouldn't be bothered if Keatings never wrote a Hibs top again after that. Up against poor opposition and was never in the game. Movement was poor. Touch was poor. It's a no from me.

Good support for him :aok:

HibsNutter
03-02-2016, 04:28 PM

Good thing there's three strikers ahead of him in the pecking order then.

Super_JMcGinn
03-02-2016, 04:29 PM
Very harsh, given a decent run in the team I'm certain he would score more than his fair share.

Waxy
03-02-2016, 04:48 PM
Disagree.Makes goals and scores on top form. It'll come.

trev the hat
03-02-2016, 04:51 PM

His movement & touch to set up Stokes at ER recently might say something different.
7 goals with limited game time is non too shabby IMO

RCNG
03-02-2016, 05:17 PM
Disagree.Makes goals and scores on top form. It'll come.

We don't have time for it to come.

Waxy
03-02-2016, 05:19 PM

The stage is pretty well set up perfectly this coming Sunday.

hugo boss
03-02-2016, 05:27 PM
Your a rocket

Stewboy
03-02-2016, 05:38 PM
I think having a striker as capable as Keatings as our 4th choice says more about where the club is going than Keatings ability

The_Horde
03-02-2016, 05:44 PM

Deary me. The lunatic has left the asylum.

Ltyf

green day
03-02-2016, 05:47 PM

Did you see how he MADE the goal for stokes the other week?

If you didnt see that live (or catch it on highlights) then you are either at the wind up or a :kbacker:

RCNG
03-02-2016, 05:47 PM
Your a rocket

You're.

Great response.

RCNG
03-02-2016, 05:48 PM
Did you see how he MADE the goal for stokes the other week?

If you didnt see that live (or catch it on highlights) then you are either at the wind up or a :kbacker:

What did you make of his performance last night?

green day
03-02-2016, 05:53 PM
What did you make of his performance last night?

Couldn't make it - work commitments, good enough for you?

Understand it wasnt brilliant - however there have been games this season when Henderson wasnt great - but IMO he has had still a good season. Ther have also been games where Cummings has been mince.

Its a squad game, and if we need to rotate, then Keatings is a part of it.

Like I said, if you actually saw the contribution to make Stokes first goal back for us, you might be giving him a wee bit more slack.

RCNG
03-02-2016, 05:55 PM
Couldn't make it - work commitments, good enough for you?

Understand it wasnt brilliant - however there have been games this season when Henderson wasnt great - but IMO he has had still a good season. Ther have also been games where Cummings has been mince.

Its a squad game, and if we need to rotate, then Keatings is a part of it.

Like I said, if you actually saw the contribution to make Stokes first goal back for us, you might be giving him a wee bit more slack.

I did see that. It was good. We were already winning and that goal sealed it. Didn't see any of that against better opposition IMO.

Andy74
03-02-2016, 06:01 PM
I think having a striker as capable as Keatings as our 4th choice says more about where the club is going than Keatings ability

I think he has had a really disappointing few weeks and is maybe showing why Hearts made a call that they were happy for him to go.

I'm hoping he gets back at it, not least of which because we are down to two strikers just now who are scoring goals.

I know i'm slightly obsessed with Malonga just now and still don't really get why we let him walk away for next to nothing, but you can contrast the expectations on him to Keatings. He has been pretty much supported through weeks of not producing and praised for the one moment he has shown something.

Malonga would have been hung, drawn and quartered by now if he had just had the run of form that Keatings has been showing.

Billy Whizz
03-02-2016, 06:05 PM
I think he has had a really disappointing few weeks and is maybe showing why Hearts made a call that they were happy for him to go.

I'm hoping he gets back at it, not least of which because we are down to two strikers just now who are scoring goals.

I know i'm slightly obsessed with Malonga just now and still don't really get why we let him walk away for next to nothing, but you can contrast the expectations on him to Keatings. He has been pretty much supported through weeks of not producing and praised for the one moment he has shown something.

Malonga would have been hung, drawn and quartered by now if he had just had the run of form that Keatings has been showing.
Maybe Dom wanted to go, do you keep an unhappy player if he's doesn't want to be at Hibs?

My_Wife_Camille
03-02-2016, 06:05 PM
Typical reaction on here when someone dares to criticise a player.

Keatings has has been poor for weeks and we're coming to a critical point of the season where we can't afford sit back and hope it will come for certain players while we have others who we know will do a job.

Keatings was given a chance to play the full 90 in his favoured position yesterday and offerered next to nothing. Now we have Stokes and Dagnall in alongside Cummings, I agree that I'm not fussed about Keatings either.

AlbertK86
03-02-2016, 06:16 PM

Great backing for the team mate!

Have you passed your thoughts on to Stubbsy

Sure he doesn't know his squad very well so would welcome your input.

Strongest squad we've had in years and we have only been beaten once in 25 games. Keatings has played his part by scoring vital goals and setting up others.

Boyle89
03-02-2016, 06:25 PM
Deary me. The lunatic has left the asylum.

Ltyf

Not a yam. Many GREAT away days together with him.
Can anyone deny he's been poor for quite some time?
His assist for stokes last week was good but other than that I've not seen much of what he's done recently. Glad we have stokes and jc.

RCNG
03-02-2016, 06:33 PM
Great backing for the team mate!

Have you passed your thoughts on to Stubbsy

Sure he doesn't know his squad very well so would welcome your input.

Strongest squad we've had in years and we have only been beaten once in 25 games. Keatings has played his part by scoring vital goals and setting up others.

Backing for the team is going to games. Stating opinions is what the forum is for. Something a lot of people forget on here. Lighten up.

RCNG
03-02-2016, 06:34 PM
His assist for stokes last week was good but other than that I've not seen much of what he's done recently. Glad we have stokes and jc.

Many terrible ones too!

E10 Rifle
03-02-2016, 06:34 PM

This is a fair point. I thought, that given the chance, he would have been all over the park yesterday, but he wasn't and just didn't look overly interested or up for the fight. However, the most important thing he did do last night was give Cummings a rest before the weekend.

BSEJVT
03-02-2016, 06:38 PM
I truly don't get the need for folk to come on here and criticise the players constantly.

I could maybe accept it if folk were commenting that so and so had a bad game or had been off form for a while and left it at that.

Instead we have folk lining up to rubbish a variety of players and to call them for everything.

The only consolation is that unlike previous years there is no focal point like Craig or Nelson or whoever, but just about everyone seems to be getting shot at at varying times.

WTF is the point of that?

If anyone should be criticised for a particular playing it should be the manager that picks him.

The player gets selected and does his best.

IMO every player in the current squad would have walked into every Hibs team since the demise of the golden generation. Wtf have we to complain about?

There have been times in the past when I wouldn't have trusted the manager of the day to pick his nose, let alone a team, but as that's clearly not the case with Stubbs, maybe we should leave them to get on with job in hand and try getting behind them, they are doing pretty well after all?

I shudder to think what this place would be like if we weren't.

Seems to me there are too many folk like to create a bit of a stir with some either stupid or outrageous comments like last night's pathetic goal no goal.

The_Horde
03-02-2016, 06:41 PM

Clearly doesn't have very much guile, you sure he's not?

Blaster
03-02-2016, 06:45 PM

Has keatings not scored more goals than malonga this season?

Springbank
03-02-2016, 06:54 PM
The Hibs v Hearts cup tie has Keatings winner written all over it.

It's very often an unsung or seemingly off form player that becomes the hero in these games

Not many had Wotherspoon (or Zaliukas og) as first scorer in the last cup Derby

JK to come off the bench and net the winner

Andy74
03-02-2016, 07:07 PM
Has keatings not scored more goals than malonga this season?

I think he has, yes. Scored a few in that 2 or 3 week spell. My comment was that he has since gone on a long run of not playing well. Some don't get that luxury without getting a lot of stick.

Anyway, don't want to see anyone getting stick so I've not really got a proper point.

Brightside
03-02-2016, 07:12 PM

That's the spirit... Imagine players being off the boil eh!

Borderhibbie76
03-02-2016, 07:13 PM

Andy please give it up over Malonga it's getting boring mate he is gone move on. And for the record Malonga did have the same run of form keatings is currently on...he had scored 6 goals all season

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Stuarty27
03-02-2016, 07:13 PM
The key point for me last night was:

Darren McGregor was outstanding, terrific performance, was an absolute rock, won everything. MOM for me

Smartie
03-02-2016, 07:15 PM
I don't think anyone's saying anything unreasonable.

Of all of the players in our squad Keatings is the one in the poorest form currently - could anyone argue otherwise? I'm sure James himself would agree that little has been coming off for him lately - he was poor at Falkirk although he made major contribution when he came on against St Mirren.

This is a forum for sharing opinions, it is not unreasonable that we should ask the odd question or make constructive criticism.

The fact that he's our 4th choice striker, is slightly off form yet still making a contribution speaks volumes for what Stubbs has achieved. Remember trying to work out of anyone at all was worth keeping the summer before last?

Also nobody's saying he's not fit to wear the shirt or that he should be flogged at the earliest opportunity - he's shown enough in his short time with us, injury-afflicted as well as being played out of position that he has more than enough about him for us to persevere with.

Edit - just saw the "never wear the shirt again" comment. Mental and uncalled for.

Borderhibbie76
03-02-2016, 07:17 PM

Of all of the players in our squad Keatings is the one in the poorest form currently - could anyone argue otherwise? I'm sure James himself would agree that little has been coming off for him lately - he was poor at Falkirk although he made major contribution when he came on against St Mirren.

This is a forum for sharing opinions, it is not unreasonable that we should ask the odd question or make constructive criticism.

The fact that he's our 4th choice striker, is slightly off form yet still making a contribution speaks volumes for what Stubbs has achieved. Remember trying to work out of anyone was worth keeping the summer before last?

Also nobody's saying he's not fit to wear the shirt or that he should be flogged at the earliest opportunity - he's shown enough in his short time with us, injury-afflicted as well as being played out of position that he has more than enough about him for us to persevere with.

Edit - just saw the "never wear the shirt again" comment. Mental and uncalled for.
Well we have one poster on here saying he never wants to see him in a hibs top again...ever so slightly OTT imo

Brightside
03-02-2016, 07:18 PM

The fact that he's our 4th choice striker, is slightly off form yet still making a contribution speaks volumes for what Stubbs has achieved. Remember trying to work out of anyone was worth keeping the summer before last?

Do suggest a player should never play again is surely miles over the top. Also the Malonga comparison doesn't add up. He contributed to a handful of games and still given loads of support on this forum. Keating was excellent at start of season and is having a dip in form.

Smartie
03-02-2016, 07:20 PM
Do suggest a player should never play again is surely miles over the top. Also the Malonga comparison doesn't add up. He contributed to a handful of games and still given loads of support on this forum. Keating was excellent at start of season and is having a dip in form.

I agree - sorry, didn't see that post (don't know how mind!)

My_Wife_Camille
03-02-2016, 07:23 PM
Well we have one poster on here saying he never wants to see him in a hibs top again...ever so slightly OTT imo

Making stuff up.

The poster didn't say he never wants to see him in a Hibs shirt again, he said it wouldn't bother him if he didn't. Two very different things.

In any case, now we have Stokes and Dagnall in along with Cummings, it wouldn't bother me much we didn't see much of Keatings either

Brightside
03-02-2016, 07:27 PM
Some people just like to go out of their way to slate the payers at this club.

hugo boss
03-02-2016, 07:27 PM
Making stuff up.

The poster didn't say he never wants to see him in a Hibs shirt again, he said it wouldn't bother him if he didn't. Two very different things.

In any case, now we have Stokes and Dagnall in along with Cummings, it wouldn't bother me much we didn't see much of Keatings either

THIS .... Must be a yam

Borderhibbie76
03-02-2016, 07:32 PM
THIS .... Must be a yam
I can assure you I am no yam but thanks for the Insult

Aldo
03-02-2016, 07:33 PM
I think it's fair to say we can be disappointed in him considering the form he showed earlier in season.

He's a very important squad member and I am sure he'll get in the goal trail again.

GlasgowHibee
03-02-2016, 07:34 PM
Keatings is a good player going through a bad spell, my only concern with him is whether he will be good enough for the Premiership.

In my opinion, he's a championship quality striker, he's guaranteed to score goals in this league, when in good form, but when he's not scoring then he's a waste of a jersey.

Keep him for as long as we're in the championship then get rid of him.

Borderhibbie76
03-02-2016, 07:35 PM
Making stuff up.

Nobody is making things up. ..some of the criticism of keatings is OTT as it was with fyvie a few weeks back. Some on here just aren't happy if they don't have a player to castigate. ..it's disappointing that the fact we are on such a good run yet we still get this negative nonsense from some on here. Keats is struggling for form yes but he hasn't played regularly for weeks...be nice if us fans could be a wee bit more understanding sometimes

et_hibby
03-02-2016, 07:44 PM
Onlywayisup - thanks for taking the time to write that up, good stuff!!

Ronniekirk
03-02-2016, 07:52 PM
I think if Farid isn't going to be fit again to make a significant contribution to the team , which seems the consensus of opinion on here , then we are now down to four strikers to pick from .
We all know Jason and Stokes will continue to score us goals that's a given given thier respective scoring records .Its also clear Dagnall has made an immediate impression with his work rate and the way he harries players further up the field and uses his experience to make a nuisance of himself and create space for others He looks like he has potential to score and had a record of one goal in every three games so hopefully he will add goals to his game .
Keatings on current form is going through a sticky patch but if he can regain form he will get into double figures and have contributed to the cause .
Stubbs has shown himself adept at using the squad recently and last night was never going to be a great performance after the high of the cup win ,Stubbs admitted that .
I was there and yes Mcgeoch and McGregor were standouts ,but as someone else said we have found a win to win games like last night when not at our best and the aim before the game was Three Points .

Job Done and move on to the next game for me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HappyHanlon
03-02-2016, 09:13 PM
Keatings was gash last night. With the arrival of Dagnall and Stokes, i'd be upping my game if I was him. Last night was a chance to do just that but he didn't grab it.

On his day, he's probably the most natural finishers at the club but he's no consistent enough. Starting to understand why Hamilton and the gunts let him go.

That said, how sweet would it be if he came off the bench on Sunday and rattled home the winner!

leither17
03-02-2016, 10:04 PM
Your a rocket

I agree

Jdawg
03-02-2016, 10:22 PM
I truly don't get the need for folk to come on here and criticise the players constantly.

I could maybe accept it if folk were commenting that so and so had a bad game or had been off form for a while and left it at that.

Instead we have folk lining up to rubbish a variety of players and to call them for everything.

The only consolation is that unlike previous years there is no focal point like Craig or Nelson or whoever, but just about everyone seems to be getting shot at at varying times.

WTF is the point of that?

If anyone should be criticised for a particular playing it should be the manager that picks him.

The player gets selected and does his best.

IMO every player in the current squad would have walked into every Hibs team since the demise of the golden generation. Wtf have we to complain about?

There have been times in the past when I wouldn't have trusted the manager of the day to pick his nose, let alone a team, but as that's clearly not the case with Stubbs, maybe we should leave them to get on with job in hand and try getting behind them, they are doing pretty well after all?

I shudder to think what this place would be like if we weren't.

Seems to me there are too many folk like to create a bit of a stir with some either stupid or outrageous comments like last night's pathetic goal no goal.

Excellent post, I think too many posters on here have f all in their life and come on here to displace their anger.

We support hibs and pay little money for players, generally loans, but some people expect very accomplished players. If they were they would barely be in Scotland never mind at hibs.

I appreciate the football we are playing and the genuine atmosphere at the club just now.

Let's beat the gunts this weekend, County in the final and give it the best effort possible to go up.

Jonnyboy
03-02-2016, 10:34 PM
The key point for me last night was:

Darren McGregor was outstanding, terrific performance, was an absolute rock, won everything. MOM for me

Agreed :agree:

Gogs07
03-02-2016, 11:39 PM
Back to the game, a clean sheet and another 3 points.

I thought that when Keatings scored his hat trick, he would get the confidence from that, but being on the bench and cameo roles has not allowed him to get the game time that he needs. The game and the ball seems to pass him, when he gets on the pitch.

B.H.F.C
03-02-2016, 11:46 PM
Back to the game, a clean sheet and another 3 points.

I thought that when Keatings scored his hat trick, he would get the confidence from that, but being on the bench and cameo roles has not allowed him to get the game time that he needs. The game and the ball seems to pass him, when he gets on the pitch.

I'd hardly say Keatings has been restricted to cameo roles since then. Started most games until he had a shocker away at Falkirk a couple of weeks ago.

lord bunberry
04-02-2016, 12:45 AM
Keatings isn't good enough to be a regular starter IMO. He should only play if any of the other 3 can't. He's been a passenger in to many games and is the only player who hasn't really made enough of an impact this season. He's decent as back up, but that's it.

truehibernian
04-02-2016, 01:00 AM
Keatings isn't good enough to be a regular starter IMO. He should only play if any of the other 3 can't. He's been a passenger in to many games and is the only player who hasn't really made enough of an impact this season. He's decent as back up, but that's it.

Keatings is a great wee player - Stubbs made an admission most managers don't two weeks ago saying he's been playing JK out of position and he shoulders the blame for any loss of form - despite this fans still have a go (not a dig at you) - give players a chance - it's a squad thing and we're one loss in about 23/24 games ? Keatings has been part of that.

Hibs fans simply need to cut players slack and be objective - Stubbs and Co are doing things right - Keatings has, like others, been part of the best run in decades.

matty_f
04-02-2016, 10:12 AM
Keatings is a great wee player - Stubbs made an admission most managers don't two weeks ago saying he's been playing JK out of position and he shoulders the blame for any loss of form - despite this fans still have a go (not a dig at you) - give players a chance - it's a squad thing and we're one loss in about 23/24 games ? Keatings has been part of that.

Hibs fans simply need to cut players slack and be objective - Stubbs and Co are doing things right - Keatings has, like others, been part of the best run in decades.

Good post. :agree:

lord bunberry
04-02-2016, 10:45 AM

I'm not having a go at the guy, just saying it as I see it. If Stokes and Cummings are fit Keatings will be on the bench.

Super_JMcGinn
04-02-2016, 10:48 AM
I'm not having a go at the guy, just saying it as I see it. If Stokes and Cummings are fit Keatings will be on the bench.
Calling him a passenger and not good enough is not having a go ? I wouldn't like to get on the wrong side of you :greengrin

Super_JMcGinn
04-02-2016, 10:49 AM

Cracking post, I wish I could be as articulate and get my points across as well as you. :top marks

JimBHibees
04-02-2016, 10:51 AM

Laughable. His form has dipped a bit but can vividly remember him scoring some great goals v St Mirren and Livingston. Good option to have that is for sure and his form will return, cant have too many goalscorers.

lord bunberry
04-02-2016, 10:52 AM
Calling him a passenger and not good enough is not having a go ? I wouldn't like to get on the wrong side of you :greengrin
He was a passenger in lots of games and he isn't good enough to dislodge our our main 2 strikers. He's fighting it out with Dagnall to be main back and as far a back up goes he's a good option. When he came on against St Mirren he did well.

Smartie
04-02-2016, 11:02 AM
He was a passenger in lots of games and he isn't good enough to dislodge our our main 2 strikers. He's fighting it out with Dagnall to be main back and as far a back up goes he's a good option. When he came on against St Mirren he did well.

He's at the very least an important squad player.

It didn't work out for him the other night, he didn't have a great game, he's not playing well, it happens.

If nothing else he let Cummings have a very valuable rest and given we're fighting on 3 fronts (well, until Sunday at least) we can't expect all of our players to play every minute of every match.

We need to support him through his dodgy spell.

I can't remember a time following Hibs when we had so few players struggling for form.

Lets not forget that he scored some very important goals earlier this season. He can do it again.

GreenLake
04-02-2016, 11:06 AM
The Hibs v Hearts cup tie has Keatings winner written all over it.

It's very often an unsung or seemingly off form player that becomes the hero in these games

Not many had Wotherspoon (or Zaliukas og) as first scorer in the last cup Derby

JK to come off the bench and net the winner

That is as goal that would cause intense levels of seethe and froth amongst the cheats.

Super_JMcGinn
04-02-2016, 11:08 AM

It didn't work out for him the other night, he didn't have a great game, he's not playing well, it happens.

If nothing else he let Cummings have a very valuable rest and given we're fighting on 3 fronts (well, until Sunday at least) we can't expect all of our players to play every minute of every match.

I can't remember a time following Hibs when we had so few players struggling for form.

Lets not forget that he scored some very important goals earlier this season. He can do it again.
Very good point on Cummings there, I thought he was beginning to look a little jaded recently. It also got me to thinking, when does wee Lewey get a rest given Stubbs seems to be rotating the squad.

lord bunberry
04-02-2016, 11:47 AM

I agree with all of that, especially the point about Cummings. It doesn't change what I said about Keatings or that he doesn't have my full support.

truehibernian
04-02-2016, 11:58 AM
I agree with all of that, especially the point about Cummings. It doesn't change what I said about Keatings or that he doesn't have my full support.

It's all hypothetical of course but at the weekend I thought Jason got into 2 or 3 cracking positions to strike first time and get shots away - exactly what Keatings was/is good at, certainly in the run of games he had from Dundee Utd onwards (St Mirren, Livi) - Jason wanted extra touches on Saturday and the ball wasn't really sticking or running for him.

Keatings is a good instinctive striker and works hard closing down. Something we need either on the bench or starting in certain games. Whilst Dagnall is a very good, tidy player, at the weekend he not only missed a glorious chance but he gave possession away twice at the edge of our box in dangerous areas - in short all our strikers have little failings but they're all very good football players, every one of them bring something positive to the team/squad.

Waxy
04-02-2016, 12:04 PM
That is as goal that would cause intense levels of seethe and froth amongst the cheats.

They would drown in their own froth.

lord bunberry
04-02-2016, 12:07 PM
It's all hypothetical of course but at the weekend I thought Jason got into 2 or 3 cracking positions to strike first time and get shots away - exactly what Keatings was/is good at, certainly in the run of games he had from Dundee Utd onwards (St Mirren, Livi) - Jason wanted extra touches on Saturday and the ball wasn't really sticking or running for him.

Keatings is a good instinctive striker and works hard closing down. Something we need either on the bench or starting in certain games. Whilst Dagnall is a very good, tidy player, at the weekend he not only missed a glorious chance but he gave possession away twice at the edge of our box in dangerous areas - in short all our strikers have little failings but they're all very good football players, every one of them bring something positive to the team/squad.
I think in Cummings case we've relied too heavily on his goals, none of our other strikers look like they are going to be prolific. Now we have Stokes it takes some of the pressure off Cummings. If Keatings and Dagnall can chip in with goals then all well and good.