PDA

View Full Version : Flares at football

lucky
03-02-2016, 08:46 AM
The Scotsman are reporting a 18 year old Motherwell fan has been jailed for setting of a flare at the Hamilton v Motherwell game. Apparently he has had no previous convictions. Whilst the authorities are cracking down on flares at games it seem a bit harsh to jail him. But it is a warning to others who do this. There were two flares let of on Saturday so I would think that both culprits will be pursued by Police Scotland.

superbam
03-02-2016, 08:48 AM
Ridiculous sentence

Scouse Hibee
03-02-2016, 08:57 AM
Depends on the circumstances,was it thrown endangering safety of others etc.

marinello59
03-02-2016, 08:58 AM
He didn't do himself any favours by breaking his bail conditions.

ManBearPig
03-02-2016, 08:59 AM
It is ridiculous. However rules are clear and they were always going to make a couple of examples.

J-C
03-02-2016, 09:03 AM
The Scotsman are reporting a 18 year old Motherwell fan has been jailed for setting of a flare at the Hamilton v Motherwell game. Apparently he has had no previous convictions. Whilst the authorities are cracking down on flares at games it seem a bit harsh to jail him. But it is a warning to others who do this. There were two flares let of on Saturday so I would think that both culprits will be pursued by Police Scotland.

Are we talking flares that can burn people or smoke bombs which leave a nasty smell in the air?

lucky
03-02-2016, 09:13 AM
5 months for letting off a smoke bomb is a joke. As for breaking his bail conditions, he attended a football match. Hardly crime of the century.

marinello59
03-02-2016, 09:15 AM
5 months for letting off a smoke bomb is a joke. As for breaking his bail conditions, he attended a football match. Hardly crime of the century.

I didn't say it was the crime of the century though, I said it didn't do him any favours.

Oscar T Grouch
03-02-2016, 09:18 AM
He was on bail part of which was not to attend football. He attended a football match and lit a flare which broken his bail conditions and he was jailed for it. at least that was the version I read yesterday.

blackpoolhibs
03-02-2016, 09:22 AM
Harsh but maybe it will make others think twice now? It does smack of targeting the easy target though, there are thousands each week who should be charged and jailed for bigoted hatred, but the authorities need to grow a set of balls for that to ever happen.

marinello59
03-02-2016, 09:28 AM
Are we talking flares that can burn people or smoke bombs which leave a nasty smell in the air?

Aren't they both dangerous in some way? Nobody knows what the hell is in the ones bought off the internet. A cars exhaust fumes for example could be described as having a bad smell but we know how harmful they are to health.
I've said it before, I actually enjoy them at games but I do get that they pose a problem to many, asthma sufferers in particular spring to mind. It's not as if they actually add much to the atmosphere at our games, we are hardly seeing the European Ultra culture recreated. :greengrin
This sentence does seem harsh especially as it will probably lead to the end of his military career as well.

marinello59
03-02-2016, 09:30 AM
He was on bail part of which was not to attend football. He attended a football match and lit a flare which broken his bail conditions and he was jailed for it. at least that was the version I read yesterday.

Not quite true. He was on bail for lighting a flare, he went to a match after that where there is no suggestion he misbehaved at all. It gave the Sherriff an excuse to be harder on him though.

Thecat23
03-02-2016, 10:04 AM

I've never got this way of thinking. If you have been charged with something then told you would be jailed if you break the bail (no matter how petty the crime is) it's still breaking it! So yes that person deserves it for being an arse!

To avoid jail or banning orders don't bring things like flares to football matches, it's not rocket science 😂

Hermit Crab
03-02-2016, 10:15 AM
I wonder if the Celtic fans who lit and threw the flares at Stranraer and chanted pro IRA songs will get jailed?

Pretty Boy
03-02-2016, 10:16 AM
If you get clear bail conditions, usually accompanied with a stern word from a Police officer or Sherriff and then choose to break them in a place with CCTV, Police and stewards everywhere then you deserve jail for being a total moron.

Scouse Hibee
03-02-2016, 11:10 AM
Fully deserved given that he obviously thought **** them I'll do what I want despite my bail condition. Erse.

Carheenlea
03-02-2016, 12:44 PM
Last night we stood on a terracing with plastic topped bench seating. No crush barriers and many standing on the wet plastic seat rather than the concrete. In this practice any more or less dangerous than letting off a flare/smoke canister? I`d say neither is particularly dangerous, and whilst pursuing youngsters letting off these devices is an easy option for the authorities, it is a great pity they don`t tackle the sectarianism problems with similar gusto.

Viva_Palmeiras
03-02-2016, 12:53 PM
Didn't the report state he was from the military - in which case he's let his colleagues down as well. Maybe more to this than we know but I would have thought court orders like military ones would be clear and to the point.

leggeto
03-02-2016, 12:59 PM
A flare was thrown in our end from the wheatfield once and hit someone I remember, nothing came of that

silverhibee
03-02-2016, 01:27 PM
I hope Scottish Police clamp down next Guy Fawkes night and arrest the 100s if not 1000s of people who set of fireworks and build massive fires in crowded areas in housing schemes where children are present and more than likely being set off by there parents.

CropleyWasGod
03-02-2016, 02:17 PM
I hope Scottish Police clamp down next Guy Fawkes night and arrest the 100s if not 1000s of people who set of fireworks and build massive fires in crowded areas in housing schemes where children are present and more than likely being set off by there parents.

The argument against that is that people go to firework parties, voluntarily, knowing what the dangers are. And, if someone is irresponsible enough to try and damage somebody else with a firework, they'll be charged.

At a football match, you don't volunteer to put yourself in harm's way. Yes, you know what some of the dangers might be, but I think it's reasonable to expect that you won't be damaged by a smoke bomb or a flare.

HibsNutter
03-02-2016, 02:20 PM

Aye that's the same:faf:

HappyHibby93
03-02-2016, 02:22 PM
Sounds like they are making an example off him. Breaking his bail conditions was daft of the boy though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lancs Harp
03-02-2016, 02:27 PM
"Flares at football"

Amazing fashion faux pas. Havent worn them for decades, I realise Motherwell isn't exactly Milan but still.

Having said that a prison sentence for wearing seriously out of date strides is a bit harsh IMO.

lucky
03-02-2016, 02:39 PM
As s society we seem to want to jail everyone for every crime. This young solider was daft but hardly a threat to society. Yes he made a mistake but surely a fine or community pay back order and maybe a banning order but 5 months jail. To me it's way over the top. No wonder there are 8000 Scots locked up if this case is anything to go by

Slope
03-02-2016, 02:44 PM
Sounds like he defied a court order. Jail was always on the cards for that alone.

Gettin' Auld
03-02-2016, 03:09 PM
Sounds like they are making an example off him. Breaking his bail conditions was daft of the boy though

Especially is it'll cost him his army career too. They'll bin him....

Hibrandenburg
03-02-2016, 03:11 PM
In a day and age where having a fag in public places is frowned upon then letting of a flare or smoke bomb is just asking for trouble. Doing it against your bail conditions is just idiotic.

Carheenlea
03-02-2016, 05:17 PM
Give it another couple of years and you won't be able to step inside a football ground without a high-viz vest.

blackpoolhibs
03-02-2016, 05:35 PM
Give it another couple of years and you won't be able to step inside a football ground without a high-viz vest.

I doubt it would happen at Ibrox.