PDA

View Full Version : Gunnarsson

greenlex
02-02-2016, 11:42 PM
I know it's early doors but from what I've seen of him he offers nothing Jordan Forster didn't. I think he's a strange signing whilst Jordan view out on loan. Discuss.

MagicSwirlingShip
02-02-2016, 11:45 PM
I know it's early doors but from what I've seen of him he offers nothing Jordan Forster didn't. I think he's a strange signing whilst Jordan view out on loan. Discuss.

You're right - probably too early to judge. I think Forster pushed for the loan to be honest as he was wanting game time. Stubbs never stood in his way and brought in a young, able replacement.

Plus I think Gunnarsson is a recognised full back, where Forster never really looked 100% comfortable in that position

Centre Hawf
02-02-2016, 11:46 PM
Bit harsh, the guy looked decent tonight. He's barely played in the last 3 months so his fitness is still getting back up to where it should be.

Jim44
02-02-2016, 11:47 PM

Stubbs must see something in him. He must be half decent and he apparently has the long throw-in ability that could be useful.

MWHIBBIES
02-02-2016, 11:48 PM
2 games...

Shrekko
03-02-2016, 12:01 AM
He's played about 140 minutes so far and although he looked a wee bit nervous against Raith (in too early?) I thought he was actually excellent tonight.

matty_f
03-02-2016, 12:08 AM
Did well blocking crosses and put in some good challenges second half. Thought his crossing could do woth some work though.

HibsNutter
03-02-2016, 12:26 AM
Don't think as many people would hold a soft spot for Forster if he wasn't homegrown. Don't get me wrong, he was decent and I wish him well. But his lack of game time this season shows how much Stubbs rated him.

Gunnarsson on the other hand, hasn't even played a full ninety minutes for us yet. He's moving to a new country to play in a new league. Foreign players can take time to adapt to their new environment, by all accounts he seems to be highly rated. Give him a chance.

Bayern Bru
03-02-2016, 05:45 AM
As others have said, NG needs time to settle - and the best way of doing that is game time. Agree with Matty that some of his crosses left a lot to be desired but it was a decent shift from him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KWJ
03-02-2016, 05:52 AM
From what I gather he can play all along the back so he'll be able to cover for Stevenson should he be injured.

theonlywayisup
03-02-2016, 06:32 AM
Did well blocking crosses and put in some good challenges second half. Thought his crossing could do woth some work though.

Is that because he put in some crosses last night and no-one was on the end of them. Is that his fault or that of the strikers not getting on the end of them. My recollection of the game was he put in a couple of decent crosses but no-one was in position to convert them.

My view - 2 games is far to early too be making a judgement. I think he is a decent addition to the squad.

LaMotta
03-02-2016, 06:42 AM
Is that because he put in some crosses last night and no-one was on the end of them. Is that his fault or that of the strikers not getting on the end of them. My recollection of the game was he put in a couple of decent crosses but no-one was in position to convert them.

My view - 2 games is far to early too be making a judgement. I think he is a decent addition to the squad.

How can you say 2 games is too early to judge then say he is a decent addition?!

E10 Rifle
03-02-2016, 06:44 AM
2 games...

Come on - that's quite a long time for us to hold off judgement. Sometimes I get down especially early so I can boo the new signings during the warm-up!

Hibstrooper
03-02-2016, 06:57 AM
I thought he was very poor in the first half, mainly because he was so slow at getting back we were often getting caught out at that side. Doesn't appear to have the engine of Gray or Stevenson.

That being said he hasn't played a lot of games recently and he did improve in the second half, getting a lot more blocks and challenges in.

matty_f
03-02-2016, 07:02 AM

No, first half he had a couple of daisy-cutters that didn't clear the first man. He put in one good cross that i can remember but i felt he could have done better from promising positions.

Jumbo
03-02-2016, 07:04 AM

Certainly could improve his crossing think only one of his attempts managed to beat first defender, though he looked OK defending in second half

J-C
03-02-2016, 07:21 AM
Don't think as many people would hold a soft spot for Forster if he wasn't homegrown. Don't get me wrong, he was decent and I wish him well. But his lack of game time this season shows how much Stubbs rated him.

Gunnarsson on the other hand, hasn't even played a full ninety minutes for us yet. He's moving to a new country to play in a new league. Foreign players can take time to adapt to their new environment, by all accounts he seems to be highly rated. Give him a chance.

Jordan got injured again and with McGregor suddenly becoming available, he was down the pecking order, Gunnarsson is a proper fullback, whereas Jordan was a makeshift one, it was up to Jordan to force himself into the team which he obviously didn't.

E10 Rifle
03-02-2016, 07:23 AM
I thought he was very poor in the first half, mainly because he was so slow at getting back we were often getting caught out at that side. Doesn't appear to have the engine of Gray or Stevenson.

That being said he hasn't played a lot of games recently and he did improve in the second half, getting a lot more blocks and challenges in.

Both full-backs pushed forward in the first half (they were both positioned ahead of our midfield in many moves) and withdrew to normal positioning second. As you say when he pushed forward he was slow at times in getting back, when in normal position he defended ok.

greenlex
03-02-2016, 07:23 AM
Just want to clarify. I'm not saying he is poor. I'm saying so far he isn't any better than a player we have out on loan and think the need for either a bit strange.

Brightside
03-02-2016, 07:25 AM
Lets do this again after maybe 6 or 7 games. :rolleyes:

blackpoolhibs
03-02-2016, 07:27 AM
Stubbs had been after him for a long time, he must see something in him?

Danderhall Hibs
03-02-2016, 07:32 AM
No, first half he had a couple of daisy-cutters that didn't clear the first man. He put in one good cross that i can remember but i felt he could have done better from promising positions.

How has this thread strayed onto Lewis Stevensin? :greengrin

Johnny_Leith
03-02-2016, 07:33 AM
Think Jorge Claros. Let's give the lad time to settle in to the team and country before writing him off after 2 games.

GreenArmyyy!
03-02-2016, 07:37 AM
His positional is awful, hopefully Stubb's can sort it and coach him to adapt his game but I've never seen a right back track back as little in all my days supporting Hibs.

Super_JMcGinn
03-02-2016, 07:43 AM
Just want to clarify. I'm not saying he is poor. I'm saying so far he isn't any better than a player we have out on loan and think the need for either a bit strange.

How can you possibly hope to form any kind of judgement on him after 1 and a half games, both away ? A quite ridiculous post if you ask me and reeks of the online ' I want to be first to judge ' nonsense. I have been called all sorts on here for posting an opinion on a player who has been at the club for years :confused:.
I trust in Stubbs judgement and shall reserve my own until I see him at ER, and after a few games.

Borderhibbie76
03-02-2016, 07:57 AM
Very much like King Dom (who I adored like everyone else) many on here are making Jordan out to be some sort of world beater and viewing him thru green tinted specs...he was never a right back, Gunnarsson can cover right along the back line and yes I trust Stubbsy so right call all around. Maybe Forster wasn't happy to simply play back up and gunnarsson is??

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Smartie
03-02-2016, 08:04 AM
His positional is awful, hopefully Stubb's can sort it and coach him to adapt his game but I've never seen a right back track back as little in all my days supporting Hibs.

I wasn't there last night but that was the main thing that struck me at Raith tbh.

I didn't know if it was fitness or concentration but he seems very casual about letting men run in behind him - he's a fullback ffs!

I do agree that it's harsh to be judging him too much after 2 games though. It wouldn't be unreasonable for him to expect to be given some time to adjust. The problem is the big games are coming thick and fast, we can't afford to carry any passengers and can't afford any slip-ups.

Forster obviously pushed for the move because he needed game time. If Fontaine is injured for a decent length of time we could really do with a replacement we know we can trust at CB (Forster), I don't think we can now comfortably play 3 at the back without him. I don't like the idea of Gunnarson letting folk just wander in behind him if he's playing CB.

greenlex
03-02-2016, 08:05 AM
How can you possibly hope to form any kind of judgement on him after 1 and a half games, both away ? A quite ridiculous post if you ask me and reeks of the online ' I want to be first to judge ' nonsense. I have been called all sorts on here for posting an opinion on a player who has been at the club for years :confused:.
I trust in Stubbs judgement and shall reserve my own until I see him at ER, and after a few games.
Suck it up Princess it's about Opinions. Ill start to shape mine as early as I like. I also don't care what kind of reek it's giving you in the process to be honest. Here's another opinion. Paul Hanlon has developed into a bloody fine player. I guess we see things differently. Feel free to fire me on ignore to if your gonna go off like a rocket.

greenlex
03-02-2016, 08:09 AM
Very much like King Dom (who I adored like everyone else) many on here are making Jordan out to be some sort of world beater and viewing him thru green tinted specs...he was never a right back, Gunnarsson can cover right along the back line and yes I trust Stubbsy so right call all around. Maybe Forster wasn't happy to simply play back up and gunnarsson is??

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk Folk are seeing and reading something that isn't there. Nowhere have I said Jordan is a world beater and I don't think anyone else has for that matter. I am saying I don't think Nic is any better from first showings.

The_Exile
03-02-2016, 08:54 AM
Gunnarsson out, Butcher in?

hibee-boys
03-02-2016, 09:14 AM
Or to put it another way Gunnarsson has shown as much in 2 games as Forster was able to show in a few years?? In truth I think Macgregor's arrival, albeit when Forster was injured, pretty much called time on Forsters hibs career as I think he's a better centre half and more effective right back when required.

1875Sean
03-02-2016, 04:29 PM

This the same Jordon Forster warming the bench at Plymouth?

greenlex
03-02-2016, 04:31 PM
This the same Jordon Forster warming the bench at Plymouth?

Of course it is. What's your point?

anon1875
03-02-2016, 04:36 PM
Gunnarsson was a rock against that Morton winger who was their biggest threat, the boy didn't get one cross past him. Didn't bomb forward that often, especially after we went 1-0 up for obvious reasons.

southern hibby
03-02-2016, 05:11 PM
I'll stick my neck out and say I think he looks decent. Not settled in and he doesn't seem a bomb scare and doesn't run around looking like he needs to be doing something for his wage packet.

What I have noticed he watches the line well and seems to want the ball. Also has he done his job ( for me yes) no ones scored from crossing from their left our right. Defender that defends never catch on.
GGTTH

Smartie
03-02-2016, 05:17 PM
Gunnarsson was a rock against that Morton winger who was their biggest threat, the boy didn't get one cross past him. Didn't bomb forward that often, especially after we went 1-0 up for obvious reasons.

Their winger got the wrong side of Tavernier a few times in the first half hour alone in their game last week - looked a decent, tricky player.

I agree with the "old school" thought that a fullback is a defender first and everything else second*, so if he did a decent job of snuffing out a threat for them and played his part in a shut-out then he has done his primary job well.

*I accept that our formation means that we need to expect a bit more from our fullbacks.

Big L
03-02-2016, 08:37 PM

I've said it before, every young player that was coming thru prior to relegation has been dumped. I for one preferred Forster, I think he would have developed in to a fine Ch good in the air in attacking sense also.

Viva_Palmeiras
03-02-2016, 09:20 PM
Could always listen to what he has to say about his performance on Hibs TV...

Shrekko
03-02-2016, 09:26 PM

That's the way I saw it and quite frankly I'm absolutely stunned by some of the comments on this thread.

In saying that I had a couple of wee neds behind me at Raith who decided he was no good after less than 5 minutes so guess it's just the world we live in.

As for the crosses, I wouldn't say it was the night to judge stuff like that. Even McGinn struggled a bit at times doing fairly routine things. Modern football dictates that even if someone does cross the ball well these days he's normally aiming at about 2 players in the box surrounded by 5 opponents.

anon1875
03-02-2016, 10:58 PM
I was impressed with his interview tbh. Still settling in as well it seems.

MWHIBBIES
03-02-2016, 11:00 PM
I've said it before, every young player that was coming thru prior to relegation has been dumped. I for one preferred Forster, I think he would have developed in to a fine Ch good in the air in attacking sense also.The one who done the business when he played hasn't. Cummings.

Viva_Palmeiras
04-02-2016, 02:09 AM
All we are saying is give youth a chance
All you need is love...

greenpaper55
04-02-2016, 08:00 AM
I think Forster needs to gain more experience, when he played for us we used to ship quite a few goals.

Twiglet
04-02-2016, 09:34 PM

And his thoughts about the warm up on Sunday...

greenlex
06-03-2016, 06:27 PM
I started this thread and would just like to add to it. I think the big guy is a very good player and offers much more than Forster. My man of the match today. Didn't put a foot wrong. If we can get him longer we should.

Onion
06-03-2016, 06:33 PM
I like Gunnarsson. Has already shown he can play RB and CH, good application, is cool under pressure and always seems to be on same wavelength as other Hibs players - even when coming on as a sub.

lucky
06-03-2016, 06:37 PM
I thought switching to a back 3 helped us today. Gunnerson never put a foot wrong

Fergos
06-03-2016, 06:38 PM
Big man was cool as a cucumber today and with us moving to a back 3 with him on the right it helped stem Inverness on that side where they had been getting some success until our change.

Well played Gunnar.

GGTTH

Andy74
06-03-2016, 06:41 PM
Always confident in him winning his battle. Intelligent guy I think and shows in his approach.

Aldo
06-03-2016, 06:42 PM
He's got quite a good turn of pace for a big lad! Hopefully continues to impress and we have unearthed a gem!

Thecat23
06-03-2016, 06:42 PM
Always confident in him winning his battle. Intelligent guy I think and shows in his approach.

He seems to read the game very well. I'd have him in from the start next week and go 3-5-2.

Zazu62
06-03-2016, 06:44 PM
I like the big guy tall and can defend

Big_Franck
06-03-2016, 06:46 PM
I like Gunnarsson from what i've seen so far. He's strong, quick, good in the air and he doesn't make many mistakes. When he does he often recovers well. With him having had a 2-3 month break before joining us he should just be hitting peak fitness about now, so we might still to see the best of him. He could be an important player for us with Hanlon out for a while.

Aldo
He seems to read the game very well. I'd have him in from the start next week and go 3-5-2.

Agreed!

3 5 2 for me next weekend.

Some big decisions for Stubbs to make this week regarding his starting line up.

Bit nervy with 4 at the back but when we changed it we we good!

Crammond Hibee
I like the big guy tall and can defend

Id play him and Gray in mid field

BoomtownHibees
06-03-2016, 06:48 PM
Id play him and Gray in mid field

2 right backs in midfield??

NAE NOOKIE
06-03-2016, 06:52 PM
He had a good game today and looks like he could end up being decent for us ..... as for the original post, Gunnarsson has been here for over two months without getting injured, that puts him ahead of the undoubtedly promising but incredibly injury prone Forster right there

O'Rourke3
06-03-2016, 06:54 PM
I was just surprised we never used his long throws.... maybe saving these for next week?

Sent via the bushes @ EM

KWJ
06-03-2016, 06:55 PM
Really like Gunner, like Forster too. And Stevenson, Hanlon, Fontaine, MacGregor and Gray.

edwards
06-03-2016, 06:57 PM
Bit harsh, the guy looked decent tonight. He's barely played in the last 3 months so his fitness is still getting back up to where it should be.

Totally agree thought he played well and remember thinking that after his debut against Raith, feel he is settling in and getting used to how we play and would like to see more of him at corners.

tamig
06-03-2016, 07:02 PM
I thought switching to a back 3 helped us today. Gunnerson never put a foot wrong

Unfortunately it came by accident and was forced upon us. Would be nice if Stubbs could set the team up right from the start with the bodies he has available. Yogi couldn't cope with our three at the back and got very lucky with his last throw of the dice.

JimBHibees
06-03-2016, 07:06 PM
Totally agree thought he played well and remember thinking that after his debut against Raith, feel he is settling in and getting used to how we play and would like to see more of him at corners.

Calm and steady think I would play him next week.

SON OF PADDY
06-03-2016, 07:19 PM
He's a class player !
Does anyone know if he can play in GOAL ?????

Northernhibee
06-03-2016, 07:31 PM
He's a class player !
Does anyone know if he can play in GOAL ?????

Of course he can't, he's a defender? :rolleyes:

highland hibbee
06-03-2016, 07:39 PM
Only difference is unfortunately Jordan seems to pick up injuries on a regular basis, this lad seems not to......

SON OF PADDY
06-03-2016, 07:44 PM
Of course he can't, he's a defender? :rolleyes:

And why would that prevent him playing in goals ?
Have you never seen an outfield player stepping in between the post's.😛

Nicho87
06-03-2016, 07:47 PM
Thing i noticed which i didnt like tactically agree with he stood out the box for the short corner when defending when he is one of our taller players. Also he was kept back for attacking corners, get him in the box and keep lewis and mcginn back or something.

Northernhibee
06-03-2016, 07:50 PM
And why would that prevent him playing in goals ?
Have you never seen an outfield player stepping in between the post's.

Go and play with your lego and leave the football discussion to the adults :rolleyes: #OxleyMorons

SON OF PADDY
06-03-2016, 08:04 PM
Go and play with your lego and leave the football discussion to the adults :rolleyes: #OxleyMorons

Are you for real ?
I post a Wee joke about how he can play "Anywhere" across the back !!
And you come back with that ****. Away and cuddle my hump 😱

Vault Boy
06-03-2016, 08:52 PM
Really grown into his own recently. Starting to see why the staff were keen to bring him in for such a long time. Very assured; if he keeps improving, I'd love to see us keep him permanently - something nor the player or manager has written off.

adhibs
06-03-2016, 09:09 PM
Thought he played and like the look of the 3-5-2. Only gripe was some of his passing.

Shrekko
06-03-2016, 09:10 PM
So is everyone who doesn't rate Oxley a moron?

Walter
06-03-2016, 09:19 PM
He reminds me of big Ulrik Lauersen

matty_f
06-03-2016, 09:23 PM
He's a good signing. Thought the game changed when he came on.

silverhibee
06-03-2016, 09:26 PM

Ooo. Keyboard warrior. :aok:

overdrive
06-03-2016, 09:58 PM
He reminds me of big Ulrik Lauersen

This is what I was going to say.