PDA

View Full Version : Amir Khan v Saul Alvarez

Pretty Boy
02-02-2016, 04:24 PM
Signed for May 7th. Should be a decent scrap.

#FromTheCapital
02-02-2016, 10:51 PM
Was shocked when I first heard this, but it could be a very decent fight. IMO canelo is nowhere near as good as some think....his last fight against Cotto was not an emphatic win like the scorecards made out. However, khan has his work cut out for him here, it will take a monumental effort to move up to middleweight and beat Canelo in Vegas. Regardless, it's a great fight for Khan - even if he loses, it shouldn't put the mega bucks fight with brook in jeopardy.

A huge night of boxing if it happens on the same night as Fury Klitschko 2 as rumours suggest.

chinaman
03-02-2016, 09:17 AM
Alvarez will murder him.
Too big, too tough , too savvy.
a repeat of the james Kirkland slaughter by "canelo".

lord bunberry
03-02-2016, 10:08 AM
Im really starting to warm to Amir Khan, he's got a great style of boxing and he isn't afraid of anyone. I see they're going to be fighting at a catch weight of 155 pounds which will help him a bit.

DarrenSQH
03-02-2016, 11:01 AM
I really like Canelo after seeing him fight when I was in Vegas. He was very impressive. I think he will be too good for Khan.

Pretty Boy
03-02-2016, 12:14 PM
Not sure if Khan can win but his speed will be a huge asset. Alvarez can be a bit sluggish at time, that was ruthlessly exposed by Mayweather. Khans handspeed is lightning so if he can get 2 or 3 shots off then move away quickly he has a chance. If he chooses to stand and trade then he'll get torn apart.

#FromTheCapital
03-02-2016, 04:03 PM
Alvarez will murder him.
Too big, too tough , too savvy.
a repeat of the james Kirkland slaughter by "canelo".

I seen a pic of Khan and Canelo side by side and Khan is surprisingly taller. Canelo definitely has more power though and if he catches that glass chin then its lights out.

Dashing Bob S
04-02-2016, 01:34 AM
Looking forward to this fight. Obviously you would have to fancy Canello due to his power, but as PB said, Khan has the speed to cause him problems, if he fights the right way.

Scouse Hibee
04-02-2016, 02:28 PM
On paper it seems like a fight out of Khan's reach. He will end up on canvas thinking the same.

Scouse Hibee
04-02-2016, 07:01 PM
Amir Khan was in Edinburgh recently eating in Vittoria on Brunswick Street, nice guy posed for photos.

Pretty Boy
04-02-2016, 07:32 PM
Amir Khan was in Edinburgh recently eating in Vittoria on Brunswick Street, nice guy posed for photos.

Was training at Lochend BC and made an appearance at the MGM show at Meadowbank.

Took time to pose for photos and sign autographs and whatever and seemed like a decent guy.

LustForLeith
18-02-2016, 07:30 PM
Was he not up at the Steven Simmonds fight?

I reckon he's got a suspect jaw and he'll be exposed against Alvarez. If he wins though it will make things really interesting

Edit - just seen that whoever wins faces GGG.

Wow. Planning to go to Vegas in October, hoping it will be then. Unlikely

Zazu62
26-02-2016, 09:34 PM
Khan will get absolutely destroyed

The_Exile
18-03-2016, 09:12 AM
Do we have any idea what channel this will be on? It's a bit of a strange one as Khan is getting knocked out for less money than a Brook fight. Alvarez is 175 in the ring and Khan isn't even a big 147 fighter, total mismatch but if he gets on his bike and hits flashy combos while avoiding that chin getting hit he might be in with a chance. Big fear is he loses some of that hand speed if he tries to bulk up a bit, interesting fight.

Pretty Boy
18-03-2016, 09:31 AM
Do we have any idea what channel this will be on? It's a bit of a strange one as Khan is getting knocked out for less money than a Brook fight. Alvarez is 175 in the ring and Khan isn't even a big 147 fighter, total mismatch but if he gets on his bike and hits flashy combos while avoiding that chin getting hit he might be in with a chance. Big fear is he loses some of that hand speed if he tries to bulk up a bit, interesting fight.

Not seen any announcement re TV yet which is strange.

On another note I see Ricky Burns is fighting for another world title at the Hydro in May.

#FromTheCapital
18-03-2016, 10:18 PM

Khan v Canelo is the type of fight that would usually be on box nation as its a 5am Vegas fight. But maybe sky will try to get it seeing as Khan is a well known uk fighter. They've already announced a fairly big fight for the same night in the uk with Crolla v Barosso.

#FromTheCapital
19-03-2016, 07:33 AM
On another note I see Ricky Burns is fighting for another world title at the Hydro in May.

Shannon the cannon Briggs might be on this card as well! Might need to head through for this. Let's go champ!

Pretty Boy
19-03-2016, 07:57 AM
Shannon the cannon Briggs might be on this card as well! Might need to head through for this. Let's go champ!

I'll be heading through with a mate.

Briggs is totally finished but he's entertaining. The video of him at Buckingham Palace the other day demanding to meet the Queen so she would get him a fight with Joshua, Fury or Haye was funny if totally ludicrous.

#FromTheCapital
19-03-2016, 10:12 AM
Have to say I've found myself in stitches at some of these videos. The Buckingham palace was was hilarious. I reckon he might be Joshua's first defence if he beats Martin next month and of course I'd fully expect Joshua to take him out.

bobbyhibs1983
27-03-2016, 07:04 AM
Wow. Planning to go to Vegas in October, hoping it will be then. Unlikely

hi

On a side note when we went to vegas last year when the *fight of the century* or mayweather vs pacman was gonna be announced i was like please be when i go please be on when i go, but sadly we were there 2 weeks later 2 weeks!!:confused:

is this your first time in vegas?

#FromTheCapital
01-04-2016, 05:00 PM
Confirmed that this fight will be shown on Boxnation in the Uk.

Pretty Boy
07-05-2016, 07:26 AM
Looking forward to this now. Both weighed in bang on the 155lbs limit and looked good for it.

I'm backing Khan to cause an upset and win a tight decision. If he can keep his composure and box to the plan Virgil Hunter will have for him I think he can use his speed to do it. If he tries to trade he'll lose.

The_Exile
07-05-2016, 08:49 AM
Khan looked pretty good up at that weight, a bit fleshier than at 147 but Hunter said that post fights that's his natural weight anyway so should be interesting to see what his power is like at 155. Still can't see anything but an Alvarez KO around the later rounds as it'll be a tough ask for Khan to keep the speed up in his hands and more importantly his feet for 12 rounds.

Allant1981
07-05-2016, 07:45 PM
What time is the fight?

easty
07-05-2016, 08:00 PM
Don't think its on til about 3-30am.

Allant1981
07-05-2016, 08:22 PM
Cheers ta, might just record it!!

Just found out the ring walk is at 0500

Onceinawhile
07-05-2016, 11:03 PM
Anthony Crolla wins against Barroso.

Boy done great, delighted for him.

Future superstar. Boy deserves it.

Haymaker
07-05-2016, 11:07 PM
Anthony Crolla wins against Barroso.

Boy done great, delighted for him.

Future superstar. Boy deserves it.

Brilliant tactical boxing, wasn't sure he was at the races then Barroso ran out of steam. Cracking final hit as well.

Onceinawhile
07-05-2016, 11:17 PM
Brilliant tactical boxing, wasn't sure he was at the races then Barroso ran out of steam. Cracking final hit as well.

I had him losing the first four rounds are least, but the other guy was shot.

Hope khan wins, but don't see it happening. Can't help but feel the number of UK world champions must be a record?

The_Exile
07-05-2016, 11:20 PM
That's the craziest gas tank I've ever seen from a contender, was a hurricane for the first few rounds then looked like he could barely walk back to his corner, hopefully Flanagan next for Crolla but can't see Frank Warren allowing that! 3-4 hours to whittle away until the vegas showdown now.

Onceinawhile
07-05-2016, 11:27 PM

Hope khan wins, but don't see it happening. Can't help but feel the number of UK world champions must be a record?

11 apparently.

Haymaker
08-05-2016, 12:28 AM

Yeah same!

Pretty Boy
08-05-2016, 03:09 AM
Ring walks now. Khan looks really tense.

Pretty Boy
08-05-2016, 03:20 AM
Good start by Khan. Big ask to keep this up though as Alzarez looks a beast in the middle of the ring.

Khans round imo.

derekHFC
08-05-2016, 03:32 AM
Good start by Khan. Big ask to keep this up though as Alzarez looks a beast in the middle of the ring.

Khans round imo.

Link? :greengrin

Pretty Boy
08-05-2016, 03:33 AM
Link? :greengrin

Not got one I'm afraid. Watching on Boxnation.

Khan still doing well. Alvarez looks as bad as he did against Mayweather and Lara. Always wary of that 1 big punch landing though.

derekHFC
08-05-2016, 03:34 AM
Not got one I'm afraid. Watching on Boxnation.

Khan still doing well. Alvarez looks as bad as he did against Mayweather and Lara. Always wary of that 1 big punch landing though.

No worries mate I'll get one.

Pretty Boy
08-05-2016, 03:39 AM
Oooooft

Khan knocked clean out cold. Brutal right hand.

#FromTheCapital
08-05-2016, 08:05 AM
Brutal knock out but huge respect to khan for taking that fight. He was definitely up on the scorecards but Alvarez was taking control before that KO. On to Kell Brook next.

Edit. Appears he was down on the official scorecards at the time of the KO. I gave 4 rounds to khan and 1 to canelo. It's just as well there was a stoppage as it looks like it was heading for a daylight robbery,

chinaman
08-05-2016, 02:08 PM
Brutal knock out but huge respect to khan for taking that fight. He was definitely up on the scorecards but Alvarez was taking control before that KO. On to Kell Brook next.

Edit. Appears he was down on the official scorecards at the time of the KO. I gave 4 rounds to khan and 1 to canelo. It's just as well there was a stoppage as it looks like it was heading for a daylight robbery,
Sure we're lucky the day light robbery never occurred then ??

#FromTheCapital
08-05-2016, 02:34 PM
I'm glad the scorecards were redundant because they were clearly wrong leading up to the KO. Of course, had the fight lasted the distance, Canelo may have completely turned it around and rightfully won on points, we'll never know. But he sure as hell shouldn't have been up on anyone's scorecard at that point.

hibsbollah
08-05-2016, 04:29 PM
I'm glad the scorecards were redundant because they were clearly wrong leading up to the KO. Of course, had the fight lasted the distance, Canelo may have completely turned it around and rightfully won on points, we'll never know. But he sure as hell shouldn't have been up on anyone's scorecard at that point.

One of the judges had Canelo up in 4 rounds! So evidently Khan was never really going to be allowed to win anyway.

Pretty Boy
08-05-2016, 04:33 PM
The only way Khan was winning last night was bu KO and that was unlikely.

Golden Boys star man was never losing in front of thousands of Mexican fans on Cinco de Mayo weekend.

LustForLeith
08-05-2016, 04:40 PM
Talk of Alvarez and GGG this Autumn. Anyone know if this will happen? In Vegas in the middle of October, if it's on that week I'm going!

Onceinawhile
08-05-2016, 05:02 PM
Did anyone see the chisora fight? Now that was a funny scored card!

Pretty Boy
08-05-2016, 05:07 PM
Did anyone see the chisora fight? Now that was a funny scored card!

The judge in that one has previous.

#FromTheCapital
08-05-2016, 07:20 PM
One of the judges had Canelo up in 4 rounds! So evidently Khan was never really going to be allowed to win anyway.

It's ridiculous that this kind of thing happens as often as it does in the professional sport of boxing. More should be done to stop it when it's so blatantly obvious what's going on. It is subjective, but honestly there's no excuse for giving any rounds to canelo barring the 5th.

#FromTheCapital
08-05-2016, 07:24 PM
Talk of Alvarez and GGG this Autumn. Anyone know if this will happen? In Vegas in the middle of October, if it's on that week I'm going!

Hope so, biggest fight in boxing at the moment. There's no telling exactly when it'll be though.

There seems to be a problem getting the fight made as Canelo wants all his fights to be at catch weight of 155 whereas the middleweight limit is 160. I'm sure they'll work through it and get the fight made, too much money at stake.

brythehibby
09-05-2016, 12:13 PM

Hope so - I'm in Vegas from the 17th of October! Would be amazing if there was a big fight on at the weekend I'm there. Was unlucky a couple of years ago as we went just after Mayweather v Maidaina fight. Would be unreal to catch a big fight over there.

LustForLeith
10-05-2016, 06:01 AM
Hope so - I'm in Vegas from the 17th of October! Would be amazing if there was a big fight on at the weekend I'm there. Was unlucky a couple of years ago as we went just after Mayweather v Maidaina fight. Would be unreal to catch a big fight over there.

Snap! That's when I'm there!

That's two folk who'll be posting "where can I watch the Hubs game in Vegas this week" thread!

lugz
13-05-2016, 10:33 AM
17th September for Canelo vs GGG
This coming from the guy who said wave 2 was starting tonight though so take it with a pinch of salt haha.

LustForLeith
13-05-2016, 01:59 PM
17th September for Canelo vs GGG
This coming from the guy who said wave 2 was starting tonight though so take it with a pinch of salt haha.

He might be right, I reckon that's the weekend reserved in Vegas for big fights alogn with the Mexican weekend that Alvarez and Khan just fought in