PDA

View Full Version : Players Released On Dead Line That Could Do A Job

offshorehibby
02-02-2016, 10:57 AM
Is there any players released by their clubs that could do a job for us.

Wilson
02-02-2016, 11:22 AM
Is there any players released by their clubs that could do a job for us.

No.

yerauldda
02-02-2016, 11:23 AM
Christian Nade would make a pretty effective security guard..

easty
02-02-2016, 11:23 AM
Robinho

hibbysam
02-02-2016, 11:31 AM
Ricardo Vaz Te :greengrin

Billychaotic182
02-02-2016, 11:36 AM
Higdon?

--------
02-02-2016, 12:06 PM
Am I alone in loathing that phrase "do a job for us"?

Following in the footsteps of the Famous Five, of Joe Baker and Pat Stanton, wearing the shirt that George Best and Franck Sauzee wore isn't a job - stacking supermarket shelves is a job. Sweeping streets is a job. Cooking the books at Tynecastle is a job. Playing football should be the fulfillment of a dream. The player's dream, and the dreams of the supporters who watch him (or her, these days.)

As for the present crop of last-day rejects and not-good-enoughs, I really don't like the idea of Alan Stubbs and Leeann Dempster picking up the paper this morning and thinking, "Hey, Auchenshoogle United have released reserve goalkeeper Wullie 'Butterfingers' McGoogle. HE COULD DO A JOB FOR US. SIGN HIM UP!"

I'd rather they carried on doing what they have been doing, watching and tracking players until they're sure about them, then making them an offer and bringing them in to play a specific role in the team. For years we were always the tail-end Charlies on the last day of the window and almost every last-minute signing we made turned out to be a total disgrace to the shirt.

Northernhibee
02-02-2016, 12:25 PM

Would take.

500miles
02-02-2016, 12:35 PM
If we're looking for competition at left back, Aaron Taylor Sinclair is a handy player and without a club at the moment I think.

edit: Still at Doncaster, never mind!

Centre Hawf
02-02-2016, 12:36 PM
Would take.

Vaz Te wouldn't be a bad signing at all. Wouldn't mind seeing him play in a 3 with Stokes and Cummings. Will never happen though.

lyonhibs
02-02-2016, 12:39 PM

Following in the footsteps of the Famous Five, of Joe Baker and Pat Stanton, wearing the shirt that George Best and Franck Sauzee wore isn't a job - stacking supermarket shelves is a job. Sweeping streets is a job. Cooking the books at Tynecastle is a job. Playing football should be the fulfillment of a dream. The player's dream, and the dreams of the supporters who watch him (or her, these days.)

As for the present crop of last-day rejects and not-good-enoughs, I really don't like the idea of Alan Stubbs and Leeann Dempster picking up the paper this morning and thinking, "Hey, Auchenshoogle United have released reserve goalkeeper Wullie 'Butterfingers' McGoogle. HE COULD DO A JOB FOR US. SIGN HIM UP!"

I'd rather they carried on doing what they have been doing, watching and tracking players until they're sure about them, then making them an offer and bringing them in to play a specific role in the team. For years we were always the tail-end Charlies on the last day of the window and almost every last-minute signing we made turned out to be a total disgrace to the shirt.

Nope. It has a reek of "och, he'll do" about it. In approx 99.9999999999% of cases, players that have been released after the January transfer window are pony.

Craig_HFC
02-02-2016, 12:39 PM
If we're looking for competition at left back, Aaron Taylor Sinclair is a handy player and without a club at the moment I think.

edit: Still at Doncaster, never mind!

He's at Doncaster.

Bayern Bru
02-02-2016, 12:40 PM
I see Yves Makalambay is a free agent.

We could sign him and another 'keeper and start a goalkeeping school.

02-02-2016, 12:43 PM
Would take.

Same here.

Smartie
02-02-2016, 12:47 PM

I think it is a reasonable phrase to use.

Sauzee and Latapy would have been nothing if they didn't have the likes of Fenwick and Smith there to "do a job". The Famous Five wouldn't have been anything like as good if they had a supporting 6 who just chucked goals in.

Yes, it sounds a bit unspectacular but we've had enough players over the past 10 years who didn't do a job that I won't turn my nose up at a solid pro who will do his job in the supporting cast for our more gifted players.

Some of our best players over the years have been scraped out of the bargain bucket when nobody else wanted them and we have rejuvenated them (Jim Leighton for starters).

And the day after the window closed it is a perfectly reasonable question to ask. We might even manage to get a player that we otherwise wouldn't, surely any player worth their salt would rather be playing football for the next few months than be left twiddling their thumbs?

eastmainsmsh
02-02-2016, 12:59 PM
Rob jones

easty
02-02-2016, 01:31 PM

Would take.

Vaz Te wouldn't be a bad signing at all. Wouldn't mind seeing him play in a 3 with Stokes and Cummings. Will never happen though.

Same here.

I know I'm in the minority with regards to Vaz Te on .net, but I thought he was crap at Hibs. Scored against Hearts, but did f all else.