PDA

View Full Version : What is classed as a succesful season for us?

GlasgowHibee
31-01-2016, 07:46 PM
Sitting having a few drinks with the boys in the pub and I'm being slated for saying I would rather lose the cup final and lose to Hearts but get promoted.

So what is deemed as a succesful season for us? Winning the cup, beating Hertz and then not getting promoted, is that succesful? For me, the cups are a bonus, but our main target has to be to get promoted.

What are your thoughts?

Killiehibbie
31-01-2016, 07:48 PM
Promotion but I could change my mind if we do a cup double.

Scouse Hibee
31-01-2016, 07:51 PM
Although promotion has to be the ultimate yardstick of success, winning the cup would be a massive statement and lift the club.

jdships
31-01-2016, 07:54 PM
Has to be promotion :rolleyes:
Another season in Championship would be close to a disaster
I know of two/three players whom I have spoken with who would ask for a transfer if we didn't go up :bye:

Hermit Crab
31-01-2016, 07:56 PM
Promotion, cups are a bonus.

GlasgowHibee
31-01-2016, 07:57 PM
I know of two/three players whom I have spoken with who would ask for a transfer if we didn't go up :bye:

Names? McGinn, Fontaine and Cummings would be my shout, all within their right too, they're not SPFL championship players.

greenlex
31-01-2016, 07:58 PM
If we won two cups and didn't go up they wouldn't want transferred. Almost guaranteed. I don't care what they say.

Sir David Gray
31-01-2016, 08:01 PM
We need to go up.

It would be great to win a cup(s) but we cannot afford to be in the Championship for another season and that's my only measurement of success.

scoopyboy
31-01-2016, 08:02 PM
Names? McGinn, Fontaine and Cummings would be my shout, all within their right too, they're not SPFL championship players.

You would class Fontaine a cut above McGeouch?

lucky
31-01-2016, 08:02 PM
Promotion is the be all and end all. The cups are a bonus

SJNB Hibby
31-01-2016, 08:03 PM
If we won two cups and didn't go up they wouldn't want transferred. Almost guaranteed. I don't care what they say.

There'd be European Football for starters

Pete
31-01-2016, 08:03 PM
We need to go up.

It would be great to win a cup(s) but we cannot afford to be in the Championship for another season and that's my only measurement of success.

A cup final sort of nullifies the "we can't afford it for another year" argument.

Thecat23
31-01-2016, 08:05 PM
Winning a cup when you are playing in the championship is a huge success. Our aim still is going up and that's what really counts. But if we win a cup and go up this will be Hibs best season in many years.

Thecat23
31-01-2016, 08:09 PM

I know a player who is loving it at ER and playing under Stubbs. He would love to play for us next season no matter what. Shame he's only on loan though!!

Bishop Hibee
31-01-2016, 08:09 PM
All about promotion.

GlasgowHibee
31-01-2016, 08:11 PM
You would class Fontaine a cut above McGeouch?

No but i think McGeouch would be more loyal and likely to stay in the championship again.

Michael
31-01-2016, 08:11 PM
If we won a cup it would be something that would be remembered for many years regardless of if we get promotion. From my point of view, if not this year, we are still going to get promoted sooner or later. However, should we win the cup, we may not win another for 10 or 20 years...maybe even longer.

Scouse Hibee
31-01-2016, 08:16 PM
Witnessing three cup wins in my relatively short time as a Hibee compared to some would justify my glory hunting choice of the Hibees :-)

Sir David Gray
31-01-2016, 08:23 PM
A cup final sort of nullifies the "we can't afford it for another year" argument.

We could maybe afford it in a financial sense but I have lost the will to live when it comes to watching Hibs play the likes of Alloa and Dumbarton.

The only thing that has made the last two seasons even remotely bearable for me has been the presence of Hearts and Sevco in the Championship. If we don't go up this season then I'm assuming that Sevco will go up and next season we'll be left with our biggest match of the season probably being against Dundee Utd.

We desperately need to be promoted.

Lago
31-01-2016, 08:24 PM
Sitting having a few drinks with the boys in the pub and I'm being slated for saying I would rather lose the cup final and lose to Hearts but get promoted.

So what is deemed as a succesful season for us? Winning the cup, beating Hertz and then not getting promoted, is that succesful? For me, the cups are a bonus, but our main target has to be to get promoted.

What are your thoughts?
Promotion. Simples

Baader
31-01-2016, 08:26 PM
Promotion. We are, always have been and forever will be a top flight club.

Not to say we shouldn't be looking to win anything else though...

CMac1988
31-01-2016, 08:26 PM
We're going up.

:flag:

Lago
31-01-2016, 08:27 PM
Sorry, not in my book.

brianmc
31-01-2016, 08:30 PM
Promotion would equal a successful season. Promotion plus either/both cups would be beyond my wildest dreams.

Pete
31-01-2016, 08:32 PM
Sorry, not in my book.

It's other types of books that count though, the ones that need to be balanced.

It would be quite boring spending another year down here but it wouldn't stop me being enthusiastic about hibs. I doubt crowds will drop even further as I think we're down to the hard core as of is.

I think we'll go up via the playoffs anyway.

HibeeDaz6270
31-01-2016, 08:40 PM
At the start of the season Promotion in any way would be seen as a good season for us. However given the position we are now in i would be dissapointed with anything less than a cup win & promotion via the play offs. To some that may sound unrealistic considering we play a team in a higher division in both the cup & the play offs (if we dont win the league ) but with the progress the club is making, the talent of the squad and our likely opposition i think it is more than achievable.

Lago
31-01-2016, 08:45 PM
It's other types of books that count though, the ones that need to be balanced.

It would be quite boring spending another year down here but it wouldn't stop me being enthusiastic about hibs. I doubt crowds will drop even further as I think we're down to the hard core as of is.

I think we'll go up via the playoffs anyway.
Again, sorry Peter, but promotion is an absolute must, if we fail I think not only players would look to move on maybe the manager as well. I to think we will go up via playoffs.:aok:

Nakedmanoncrack
31-01-2016, 08:49 PM
Treble.

stanton_4
31-01-2016, 08:51 PM

What are your thoughts?

Your mates are delusional. Promotion at all costs. Anything else is the icing on top.

Haymaker
31-01-2016, 08:52 PM
Treble.

This.

:hyper

Vini1875
31-01-2016, 08:55 PM
Promotion and League Cup. Scottish Cup would be a very nice bonus, at the very least beating hearts next week.

pontius pilate
31-01-2016, 08:59 PM
Promotion beating them next week then the league cup. In all honestly we will do the three of them anyway. I think looking at the season so far I'd say it's been reasonably successful. Onwards and upwards

marleyhib
31-01-2016, 09:07 PM
Promotion, closely followed by The Scottish Cup - either would make it a successful season - both would be blinding

Jim44
31-01-2016, 09:25 PM
If promotion is not in there somewhere, I would consider it a failure. I suspect Stubbs might be of the same opinion. No doubt, if we continue to have a decent season without promotion, we will get some satisfaction but another year in the Championship is depressing.

cleanyman
31-01-2016, 09:27 PM
Silverware.

Lifting that 10th major trophy will be huge.

iwasthere1972
31-01-2016, 09:39 PM
Promotion. Anything else would be a bonus .

mjhibby
31-01-2016, 09:41 PM
Had this discussion with a hertz fan. I said to him that next weeks game was not as important as the Morton game or the semi as promotion is the priority and should we get to the Scottish cup final we could have played loads more games than say Falkirk. We need to be fully focussed on getting out of the championship. The league cup final is many weeks away from the last few weeks of the season so would be a great bonus to win. I'll live with another year of not winning the Scottish if it means we go up. The hertz fan didn't like it when I said they were the last in terms of importance as they are obsessed with us especially on the Scotsman website.

Smartie
31-01-2016, 09:41 PM
Promotion.

We get pumped in the next 2 cup games and scrape through the play-offs - successful season.

If we win both cups and for whatever reason don't manage to go up then it hasn't.

It's that simple imo.

I agree with those who say that the Morton game is the biggest of the 3 this week.

Speedy
31-01-2016, 09:46 PM
Promotion or a cup win.

Brightside
31-01-2016, 09:48 PM
Promotion. We area a top 4 top league team now and we need to get up more than anything.

B.H.F.C
31-01-2016, 09:53 PM
Club is clearly moving in the right direction but we need to get in to the premiership for that continue. We've got plenty good players but we can't sustain that type of player if we are unable to get out of this league.

That said, Hibs don't win trophies very often and this season is as good a chance as ever to win one.

Golden Bear
31-01-2016, 09:56 PM
Promotion. I'd imagine we've invested a lot of cash in building this squad of players and if we don't achieve promotion this season then I hope it doesn't financially cripple the Club.

Eyrie
31-01-2016, 10:47 PM
Promotion.

Anything else (LC win, derby win, SC win) would be a bonus.

leggeto
31-01-2016, 10:59 PM
We need to go up.

We will go up whether its as champions or playoff winners it will happen, too good a team not too

matty_f
31-01-2016, 11:32 PM
Has to be promotion but you'd be a cold hearted soul to not consider a cup final - never mind a cup win - as some measure of success given where we are at this moment in time.

Promotion AND a cup win woukd be stellar.

basehibby
31-01-2016, 11:48 PM
Promotion is the main measure of success this season - winning a cup would be a massive bonus but not nearly as positive for the club as getting back in the top league - doing both would be brilliant of course so get in there Stubbsy and make it so :thumbsup:

NAE NOOKIE
31-01-2016, 11:52 PM
It has to be promotion, though a cup win would be a fantastic achievement. Its likely to be via the play offs considering Falkirk's failure to take anything at Ibrox yesterday, on that note I'm a hell of a lot more worried about facing them in the play offs than whichever Premiership team ends up 2nd bottom, I would say they are a better side than the likes of Killie or Partick.

Dashing Bob S
01-02-2016, 12:04 AM
The cup double would take some of the pain of being in the lower league away, but I think we need to come up this season.

dave62
01-02-2016, 12:50 AM
What ever happens this season it's imperative that we keep the management team and playing staff together. It would be a crying shame if we didn't get to see this squad perform in the Premiership as I think we could easily challenge in the top half of the table. So whilst promotion would make this easier, I believe that a cup winners medal would go a long way to persuading the likes of Cummings, McGinn, Fyvie that it's worth staying with Hibs for one more push even if we don't go up this year.

So promotion must be the main criteria by which we are judged, I don't think it's a disaster if we win, say, the League Cup but not go up.

Wilson
01-02-2016, 03:49 AM
Promotion is the only thing that will make this a successful season.

It is our number one target. It is what we've been chasing all season.

It is unthinkable that we remain a championship club next season.

Onion
01-02-2016, 05:58 AM
In any normal season, the League Cup is the ONLY thing Hibs can realistically win, along with the odd Derby game. A cup win is a 1 in 20 year event for Hibs. Forget the Scottish Cup (it's cursed). Celtic have the League (from day one). Europe is a day trip.

Everyone remembers a cup winning team. It's huge for the club, players and fans. I can still rattle off the names of the 72, 91 and 07 teams without any problem. The day, the weather, the game, the pre-match build up, post-match stories, singing, the open-topped bus and parade back in Edinburgh. They were some of my happiest days as a Hibby, shared with friends, family and fellow Hibbies.

No question, promotion is No 1 target for the club.

But, for me, winning the League Cup would be just as special, and I could live with missing out on the Prem next season.

jacomo
01-02-2016, 12:26 PM
Promotion.

We get pumped in the next 2 cup games and scrape through the play-offs - successful season.

If we win both cups and for whatever reason don't manage to go up then it hasn't.

It's that simple imo.

I agree with those who say that the Morton game is the biggest of the 3 this week.

:agree:

The cup runs are terrific but nothing is more important than promotion IMO.

superfurryhibby
01-02-2016, 12:43 PM
A Scottish Cup win above all else. I could then die a happy man.

Northern Hibby
01-02-2016, 02:02 PM
at the beginning of the season if we were offered no cups but guaranteed promotion I'd have taken it, now it's different, we can win a cup and get promoted, but yes as most have said, Promotion is No1 priority, cup matches take care of themselves, you either win or loose, the league is a long hard slog we need to win every game!!!!!

My_Wife_Camille
01-02-2016, 02:08 PM
Promotion.

scoopyboy
01-02-2016, 02:57 PM
A Scottish Cup win above all else. I could then die a happy man.

Exactly my thoughts, we will see Hibs again in the top league but we may never see a Scottish Cup win.

J-C
01-02-2016, 03:03 PM
Promotion is the most inpotant thing for us, noyhing else matters.

Hibernia&Alba
01-02-2016, 03:04 PM
Whilst I understand our desperation for the Scottish Cup, promotion is the ultimate test of a successful season, IMO. A club our size in Scotland should never be spending a third year in the Championship, though of course we've had both Hearts and Rangers against us - just our luck!

It all has to be considered in the round. If, for example, we won the League Cup, beat Hearts at Tynie in the Scottish Cup, then lost in the promotion play offs, I'd challenge anyone to say we hadn't been successful. Ultimately, however, promotion must be the yardstick for a club Hibs' size.

Franck Stanton
01-02-2016, 03:09 PM
I know a player who is loving it at ER and playing under Stubbs. He would love to play for us next season no matter what. Shame he's only on loan though!!

Mmmmmmm.....wonder who that could be ?

portyhibernian
01-02-2016, 03:09 PM
Promotion must be the priority. Cups would be lovely but we need to get out of the Championship.

HibbySpurs
01-02-2016, 03:34 PM
Winning the Championship