View Full Version : The penalty

SouthMoroccoStu
31-01-2016, 10:37 AM
Was it a penalty?

The St Johnston fans don't seem to be happy about it

But very well taken by Cummings, he was a lot calmer than I was

Scouse Hibee
31-01-2016, 10:39 AM
Having watched it several times I can see why they're not happy, but hey ho the best team on the day without a doubt were Hibs.

Danderhall Hibs
31-01-2016, 10:42 AM
I think the boy caught him. Not as heavy a tackle as I thought it was at the time but still a penalty.

Pretty Boy
31-01-2016, 10:44 AM
I thought at the time it was a stonewaller. Seeing it again it wasn't as hefty a challenge as I thought, definite contact though, impeded Henderson and didn't get near the ball so it was a penalty.

bob12345
31-01-2016, 10:44 AM
I think it isn't a penalty. Either Henderson has anticipated the challenge and it never came or he's just dived. Not enough contact, if any, to go down. At time I thought stonewaller, so hard to blame the ref.

Bostonhibby
31-01-2016, 10:46 AM
Referee had a decent view, he makes the call against the criteria he's been set and his experience and judgement, if it's not a penalty penalise Henderson. There was contact, maybe shouldn't have put a leg in. Penalty; all we can do is put it in the net.

Deek01
31-01-2016, 10:46 AM
I don't think think it was a penalty. I also don't think it was a free kick in the lead up to their first goal and that Davidson done the exact same thing as Henderson by going down to give the ref a decision to make as Tommy Wright put it, to win the free kick that hit the bar.

BroxburnHibee
31-01-2016, 10:54 AM
We'd have been going ballistic if that had gone against us.

HH81
31-01-2016, 10:57 AM
At the time defo pen for me. Seeing it again it is soft but they all count.

Onion
31-01-2016, 10:57 AM
If it was last minute of the final, and it was against us, might be a bit miffed. But in this game Hibs were the better side by a distance and deserved to win. If St J fans have an issue, it should be with how poor their side was rather than focusing on a decision taken by the ref who was 10 feet away from the incident.

Hibs have been on the wrong end of far worst decisions as recently as a few weeks ago (McGinn at Falkirk), so will spend no energy feeling guilty or underserving. Well done Hibs, and well done Jason for cooly sticking it away under huge pressure.

matty_f
31-01-2016, 10:58 AM
Penalty for me. Thought it was clear at the game but less so in the highlights. There was contact and the ref had a great view.

It was never a free kick for their goal, by the way. Absurd decision by the ref for that one.

Danderhall Hibs
31-01-2016, 11:00 AM

I don't think I would've. Thought it was an absolute stonewaller at the time and having seen the replay I still think it's a penalty.

J-C
31-01-2016, 11:00 AM
Seen the highlights and we got away with one there, swings and roundabouts though, makes up for the ones we've not been given.

Golden Bear
31-01-2016, 11:01 AM
It looked an absolute stonewaller at the time and the Ref was in a good position to make his decision.

We can discuss whether it was or whether it wasn't for evermore but at the end of the day it was awarded and nothing will change that now. We gave the Saintees a good old gubbing yesterday and thoroughly merit our place in the Final.

HibbyAndy
31-01-2016, 11:06 AM

Maybe so, But it was a penalty.

mentalhibee
31-01-2016, 11:15 AM
Definitely a pen. Thought Henderson was outstanding yesterday!

ancient hibee
31-01-2016, 12:35 PM
The ref only gets one shot at deciding.If a player leaves his leg there and then makes a big thing about pulling back the ref is almost bound to think that he had tripped him and is trying to get away with it.The foul given to them in the lead up to their goal looked like a throw in to us.I thought any contact between the players took place when the ball was out and they were mostly off the pitch.

emerald green
31-01-2016, 12:42 PM
Yam trolls are absolutely seething about Hibs getting a penalty yesterday at the PBS. Very pleasing.

lapsedhibee
31-01-2016, 12:49 PM
Pens like that always make me think of Ashley Young.

Hibernia&Alba
31-01-2016, 12:53 PM
IMHO, no penalty. You can usually tell by the players' reactions, and the Saints players were genuinely angry. That's the modern game I'm afraid; the vast majority of modern players would have done the same. You're furious when they go against you, but you take them.

Borderhibbie76
31-01-2016, 12:56 PM
It balanced out with the free kick they got fir their goal...never a foul in a month of Sundays

Allant1981
31-01-2016, 12:58 PM
When you see it at first its a penalty, but when you see it a few times after there is no way it was a penalty, but hey ho the ref only has a few secs to decide

O'Rourke3
31-01-2016, 01:15 PM
From my seat I was in no doubt it was a clear pen. First look at the tv highlights still a clear pen. Then you watch it slow mo etc.

Sent via the bushes @ EM

Famous Fiver
31-01-2016, 01:18 PM
OP answered his own question.

As someone once said to me, 'Look in the paper tomorrow morning, son.'

lapsedhibee
31-01-2016, 01:23 PM
As someone once said to me, 'Look in the paper tomorrow morning, son.'

Don't really understand this reasoning. It implies that the referee's decision is always correct, just because it's final.

The thread's not about whether the ref's decision stood, but whether it was right.

Since90+2
31-01-2016, 01:26 PM
The free kick St Johnstone got in the lead up to their goal was a baffling decision.

No idea how he thought it was a foul, it should have been a throw in to us so yesterday it evened itself out.

bigwheel
31-01-2016, 01:27 PM
The free kick St Johnstone got in the lead up to their goal was a baffling decision.

No idea how he thought it was a foul, it should have been a throw in to us so yesterday it evened itself out.

another strange decision was the free kick against Dagnall, when there was a clash of heads in the second half....that one baffled me...

hibsbollah
31-01-2016, 01:29 PM
He took a dive IMO, and I'm glad he did.

31-01-2016, 01:37 PM
At the time, from where we were sitting (high up in the wheatfield nearer the gorgie road end) it looked a clear penalty but seeing it on the TV reply it does actually look soft. There was contact but yes Henderson did go to ground very easily. If it had been the other way about we would have been unhappy about it being given.

That said, hibs were by far the better team on the day and had so many good chances for more goals. I can understand why saints fans are unhappy about the decision but if they are completely honest with themselves they know that hibs deserved the win.

MWHIBBIES
31-01-2016, 01:53 PM
Couldn't care less after the same ref ****ed us 2 weeks ago.

matty_f
31-01-2016, 02:00 PM
McGinn get s fouled and tries to get up a few weeks back - no penalty. I can't blame Henderson for making sure the ref saw the contact.

HUTCHYHIBBY
31-01-2016, 02:18 PM
It balanced out with the free kick they got fir their goal...never a foul in a month of Sundays

Yet to see any highlights but, that was my initial reaction too.

Arch Stanton
31-01-2016, 02:30 PM
The ref was the only one in any kind of position to see and hear if there was contact and I can't see how he would have got it wrong.

Scouse Hibee
31-01-2016, 02:31 PM
The ref was the only one in any kind of position to see and hear if there was contact and I can't see how he would have got it wrong.

How many times could you have said that over the years;-)

monarch
31-01-2016, 02:47 PM
Spirited discussion currently going on in radio Scotland Sportsound about the penalty. Willie Miller, a defender don't forget, and Pat Bonnar reckoned it was a penalty. Richard Gordon (no surprise) and Tom English (disappointingly) trying to dissuade them and to insinuate Liam cheated :confused:
No mention of the fact that the 2 clubs with the highest amount of penalties given to them (Sevco and Yams) have obtained them by running at defences as Liam did yesterday.
Have to say Miller and Bonnar put the case well.

Golden Bear
31-01-2016, 02:59 PM
It's all about angles. From where I was in the main stand it looked a stick on penalty but today's tv coverage suggests otherwise. You win some and you lose some I guess.

nellio
31-01-2016, 03:50 PM
McGinn get s fouled and tries to get up a few weeks back - no penalty. I can't blame Henderson for making sure the ref saw the contact.

My thoughts exactly. If Henderson doesn't go down then we won't get the pen its as simple as that. Refs should be giving pens irrespective if the player goes down or not. If it's a foul then the pen should be given but that's not what's happening so players feel they need to go down.

lucky
31-01-2016, 03:55 PM
It was more of foul than the one St.Johnstone got for free kick for their goal or when they hit the bar.

3pm
31-01-2016, 03:57 PM
Stubbs said that if he was Tommy Wright, he'd be disappointed.

That comment was in relation to the penalty, Stubbs doesn't have anything against Tommy Wright personally.

danhibees1875
31-01-2016, 06:55 PM
I guess it's just what happens when you run at teams in an attack minded manner :wink:

I think it wasn't a pen, but as mentioned we were the better team and deserved the win, won't be losing sleep over it.

Geo_1875
31-01-2016, 07:06 PM
Steven Gerrard won countless penalties in exactly the same manner and was lauded by pundits as an exemplary professional. Entitled to go down was a popular phrase on Match of the Day. Defenders can't complain if they put their foot in, miss the ball and make contact with an opponent.

Hibbyradge
31-01-2016, 07:08 PM
Stubbs said that if he was Tommy Wright, he'd be disappointed.

That comment was in relation to the penalty, Stubbs doesn't have anything against Tommy Wright personally.

:thumbsup:

Scouse Hibee
31-01-2016, 07:29 PM
Steven Gerrard won countless penalties in exactly the same manner and was lauded by pundits as an exemplary professional. Entitled to go down was a popular phrase on Match of the Day. Defenders can't complain if they put their foot in, miss the ball and make contact with an opponent.

Agreed he got one once "for intent to foul him" according to the ref.

Big L
31-01-2016, 08:33 PM
I've watched it umpteen times and I can't believe for a second that he didn't catch him, it is impossible to tell from the angles shown, he sticks his knee in then pulls it out! Hendo said he caught him and thats good enough for me. I had to listen to spotty Mikey Stewart saying it wasn't and Stubbsy should have backed Hendo.

maturehibby
31-01-2016, 08:48 PM
as the furore was going on Jason picked up the ball and calmly walked by the melee that was going on put his hand up to his lips in a Shush gesture to the St Johnstone fans and placed the ball on the penalty spot .
How cool and clam was his actions and had already psyched himself up to take the penalty and the rest as they say is history.
Well done Son

green day
31-01-2016, 08:51 PM
I've watched it umpteen times and I can't believe for a second that he didn't catch him, it is impossible to tell from the angles shown, he sticks his knee in then pulls it out! Hendo said he caught him and thats good enough for me. I had to listen to spotty Mikey Stewart saying it wasn't and Stubbsy should have backed Hendo.

Stubbs doesn't need to.

I think MS is OK for the record, and he's entitled to his opinion.

Pete
31-01-2016, 08:54 PM
He was scythed down. Penalty correctly given. End of story.

Lago
31-01-2016, 08:55 PM
Was it a penalty?

The St Johnston fans don't seem to be happy about it

But very well taken by Cummings, he was a lot calmer than I was
The ref thought so.

Newcastlehibby
31-01-2016, 09:59 PM
I was sitting in the main stand level with the 18 yard box.

As Henderson charged in and this is what is not obvious from the camera angles shown on tv, the Saints player catches him with his right thigh which is what resulted in Henderson going down, then he pulls it away very quickly, at the same time claiming there was no contact. Henderson was definitely caught by this maneouvre and the referee was well placed. Remember, he also consulted with the linesman, who would have had an even better view than me, before confirming the penalty.

It was indeed a penalty.

inglisavhibs
31-01-2016, 10:08 PM
He pulled his leg away after Henderson is past him, the look on his face suggests there was contact and at the speed Liam was going there didn't need to be much contact. Not that it matters now.