PDA

View Full Version : Rangers get another journalist sacked

Monts
29-01-2016, 11:47 AM
http://bellacaledonia.org.uk/2016/01/29/scottish-media-failure-exposed/

I'm not sure if this says more about rangers or the Sunday herald, but where will it stop?

Do you think the SPFL or the SFA should be getting involved?

Edit: if a kind admin could sort the link that would be great.

Beefster
29-01-2016, 11:50 AM
The editor and owners of the Sunday Herald should hang their heads in shame.

marinello59
29-01-2016, 12:31 PM

The only form of protest is not to buy either of the Herald titles. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

The_Sauz
29-01-2016, 12:33 PM

I'm not sure if this says more about rangers or the Sunday herald, but where will it stop?

Do you think the SPFL or the SFA should be getting involved?

Edit: if a kind admin could sort the link that would be great.

Stevie Reid
29-01-2016, 12:44 PM
The media in the UK is in a disgraceful state. Throughout history, in many other countries, brave journalists and media outlets have fought to expose the truth and bring down totalitarian governments - in this country, the government is in the pocket of the biggest media moguls, whose newspapers and reporters resort to the level of hacking people's phone messages in order to get a story.

Spiers was actually being brave and taking a stance - Rangers prove that bullying and intimidation wins. Disgusting, and gutless behaviour from The Herald, and Rangers most of all.

Stevie Reid
29-01-2016, 12:50 PM
A lot of this is Charles Green's legacy also. His outrageous and inflammatory comments about other clubs, playing to the masses of morons they have in their support, set the tone for much of this type of behaviour.

Hibernia&Alba
29-01-2016, 02:10 PM
The media in the UK is in a disgraceful state. Throughout history, in many other countries, brave journalists and media outlets have fought to expose the truth and bring down totalitarian governments - in this country, the government is in the pocket of the biggest media moguls, whose newspapers and reporters resort to the level of hacking people's phone messages in order to get a story.

Spiers was actually being brave and taking a stance - Rangers prove that bullying and intimidation wins. Disgusting, and gutless behaviour from The Herald, and Rangers most of all.

Very true. Cowardice from The Herald; really shameful stuff. Speirs was almost a lone voice in his calling the Rangers fans out on sectarianism.

I should have added I don't know the whole story in relation to Ms Haggerty, but if her claims are true, it's very worrying. There are two sides to every story, and it will be interesting to hear what The Herald say, but it doesn't look good at all for them.

Smartie
29-01-2016, 02:21 PM
I could see this bringing down the Herald altogether.

They must have been in an incredibly weak position to have to buckle under the pressure of the threatened withdrawal of a £40000 deal.

Their credibility is now shot and they will have lost a huge number of discerning customers and have received an incredible amount of bad publicity over this. Is "The Herald" not one of Scotland's most toxic brands this week? Who would want to be associated with it? Where do they go from here?

This is possibly the most sorry week in the whole sorry Rangers saga. Speirs is a Rangers fan and he's speaking out for what he thinks is right - he wants to see his club modernise, move on to a more positive future and leave their neanderthal past behind.

Rangers fans need guys like Speirs to scrutinise and criticise the conduct of their board. If more of this had been done over the past 20 years then there would have been no MASH vs Sevco, New club/ Old club debates, EBTs, Charles Green, Craig Whyte etc etc etc.

Stevie Reid
29-01-2016, 02:28 PM

They must have been in an incredibly weak position to have to buckle under the pressure of the threatened withdrawal of a £40000 deal.

Their credibility is now shot and they will have lost a huge number of discerning customers and have received an incredible amount of bad publicity over this. Is "The Herald" not one of Scotland's most toxic brands this week? Who would want to be associated with it? Where do they go from here?

This is possibly the most sorry week in the whole sorry Rangers saga. Speirs is a Rangers fan and he's speaking out for what he thinks is right - he wants to see his club modernise, move on to a more positive future and leave their neanderthal past behind.

Rangers fans need guys like Speirs to scrutinise and criticise the conduct of their board. If more of this had been done over the past 20 years then there would have been no MASH vs Sevco, New club/ Old club debates, EBTs, Charles Green, Craig Whyte etc etc etc.

I think you're right that it's finished - credibility is shot, and they'll get pilloried (rightly so) by everyone about this. Let's see if there's no such thing as bad publicity...

I wouldn't dream of narrowing the readership of the paper down into simply Rangers and Celtic fans, but they will make up a considerable portion - Rangers fans will still hate the paper after what has happened this week; Celtic fans even more so.

A very sorry and unsavoury episode. Ridiculous that two journalists lose their jobs for having honourable intentions (in the face of considerable intimidation also), whilst the likes of Katie Hopkins and Jan Moir make a load of money writing petty, narrow minded, hateful and deliberately inflammatory pieces. The tactic of writing things so disgraceful that you cannot possibly be ignored is so depressingly effective, and is clearly fulfilling for these lizards.

Lowest common denominator stuff - and The Herald are now resorting to playing to that gallery too.

Del Boy
29-01-2016, 02:30 PM
Expect better from The Herald.

Won't buy it again.

Smartie
29-01-2016, 02:40 PM
I think you're right that it's finished - credibility is shot, and they'll get pilloried (rightly so) by everyone about this. Let's see if there's no such thing as bad publicity...

I wouldn't dream of narrowing the readership of the paper down into simply Rangers and Celtic fans, but they will make up a considerable portion - Rangers fans will still hate the paper after what has happened this week; Celtic fans even more so.

A very sorry and unsavoury episode. Ridiculous that two journalists lose their jobs for having honourable intentions (in the face of considerable intimidation also), whilst the likes of Katie Hopkins and Jan Moir make a load of money writing petty, narrow minded, hateful and deliberately inflammatory pieces. The tactic of writing things so disgraceful that you cannot possibly be ignored is so depressingly effective, and is clearly fulfilling for these lizards.

Lowest common denominator stuff - and The Herald are now resorting to playing to that gallery too.

Scottish football fans will have the strongest opinions on this, of that there is no doubt.

But this has now become a major national talking point and those who have no interest in football will have been drawn into it as well. This has essentially become nothing to do with football whatsoever but an editor throwing journalists under the bus under pressure from a major corporation and the fact that this now extends beyond the small pond that is Scottish football is the factor that is going to be most damaging to the Herald.

Stevie Reid
29-01-2016, 02:41 PM
Scottish football fans will have the strongest opinions on this, of that there is no doubt.

But this has now become a major national talking point and those who have no interest in football will have been drawn into it as well. This has essentially become nothing to do with football whatsoever but an editor throwing journalists under the bus under pressure from a major corporation and the fact that this now extends beyond the small pond that is Scottish football is the factor that is going to be most damaging to the Herald.

Very good point.

grunt
29-01-2016, 03:12 PM
Herald defends its position

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14240917.Herald___Times_Group__A_statement/

A Graham Spiers column published on heraldscotland in December made a claim about an un-named member of the six-strong board of Rangers. This presented a legal issue which had to be addressed and which was discussed at length, by all parties involved.
The issue was whether we could defend in court a contentious statement and the advice given was that we could not. Finally, on clear legal advice, we were left with no option other than to apologise and seek to draw a line under the matter.
After the apology was published we had to abide by it and the spirit in which it was published. Unfortunately that apology was then undermined and we had to take appropriate action.
Our titles have a long history of supporting quality journalism and defending free speech and robust comment. This made all the more difficult the action we had to take.
While one of our advertisers is on the board at Rangers that was never an issue and we shall continue to report and comment on the pressing issues of the day without fear or favour.
Magnus Llewellin,

Editor-in-Chief

Herald & Times Group

matty_f
29-01-2016, 03:18 PM

Load of pish. :agree:

Hibernia&Alba
29-01-2016, 03:20 PM

"While one of our advertisers is on the board at Rangers that was never an issue and we shall continue to report and comment on the pressing issues of the day without fear or favour".

:hmmm:

And this should be taken at face value? I'm sure it will all come out in the wash.

Bishop Hibee
29-01-2016, 03:28 PM
It comes down to 'why would Spiers lie?'' He actually praises Rangers for previously stamping The Billy Boys out. The new regime seems to tacitly encourage it.

monktonharp
29-01-2016, 03:31 PM
full marks to BellaCaledonia for their comments on this sorry issue. I am now seriously considering my view of buying the Sunday Herald's sister paper, the National. I will look for any comments on the considerably large "letters" pages on that paper, before deciding.

Hibernia&Alba
29-01-2016, 03:31 PM
It comes down to 'why would Spiers lie?'' He actually praises Rangers for previously stamping The Billy Boys out. The new regime seems to tacitly encourage it.

Did The Rangers board make any comment about the singing of that song when we played at Ibrox a few weeks back? I may have missed it.

monktonharp
29-01-2016, 03:33 PM
Did The Rangers board make any comment about the singing of that song when we played at Ibrox a few weeks back? I may have missed it.yes, the comment was " a small minority" and nowt much more, iirc

Hibernia&Alba
29-01-2016, 03:38 PM
yes, the comment was " a small minority" and nowt much more, iirc

Which is total nonsense, for a start. I wasn't at the game but watched on TV, and it certainly wasn't a small minority; it sounded just like Ibrox before The Billy Boys was banned.

BroxburnHibee
29-01-2016, 03:41 PM
'An advertiser on the Rangers Board was never an issue'

Aye right then!!!!!

Onion
29-01-2016, 03:51 PM
When has any newspaper worry about being taken to court for reporting something someone said ? And does anyone really think the Rangers are about to spend good money fighting a court battle when they've got their hands filled with more pressing issues ? Nah, this is commercial pressures (advertising and sales revenues) that's been used to leverage an apology and forced sackings.

The Herald is a weaker paper as a result of their actions and the integrity of all the future reporting must be questioned. In other words, it's no better than today's chip paper.

monktonharp
29-01-2016, 03:52 PM
Which is total nonsense, for a start. I wasn't at the game but watched on TV, and it certainly wasn't a small minority; it sounded just like Ibrox before The Billy Boys was banned. you could get banned from Ibrox, for making that statement. :wink: If you were also listening to it on tv, you are correct :aok::aok:

Onion
29-01-2016, 03:57 PM
Which is total nonsense, for a start. I wasn't at the game but watched on TV, and it certainly wasn't a small minority; it sounded just like Ibrox before The Billy Boys was banned.

Of course it wasn't but these halfwits and their media buddies think if you say it often enough it becomes truth. The Lying King has made a career out of it.

Deansy
29-01-2016, 04:21 PM

So should the SPFL - if they had dealt with the Hun properly as soon as they were caught cheating, all of this would've been avoided !. The titles would've been stripped/voided, far more stricter conditions insisted upon Rangers application for Div 3, an open and public enquiry into EVERY single rule-breach they committed etc, etc. Instead the SPFL chose to back them 100% and have continued to do so with each and every revelation/scandal Rangers have caused/ involved in - ALL against the wishes of the vast majority of Scottish Football's supporters and common justice and they are now seen as bent and as corrupt as the Hun !

The Hun, the SPFL and the Herald - who's up next to further disgrace and shame our country ??

Baader
29-01-2016, 04:50 PM
Poor stuff from The Herald. If the unnamed director did indeed indicate what Spiers reported they'd no need to fear a court case. Instead they collapse and prefer to think their own journalist must be lying. Spineless

Viva_Palmeiras
29-01-2016, 04:54 PM
#JeSuisCharlie. Perhaps a distant memory - was it just a throwaway slogan for Scottish Publications?

Keith_M
29-01-2016, 04:57 PM

lord bunberry
29-01-2016, 05:01 PM
full marks to BellaCaledonia for their comments on this sorry issue. I am now seriously considering my view of buying the Sunday Herald's sister paper, the National. I will look for any comments on the considerably large "letters" pages on that paper, before deciding.
I also buy the National and the Sunday Herald, I'll be reconsidering that as well.

ronaldo7
29-01-2016, 05:03 PM
#JeSuisCharlie. Perhaps a distant memory - was it just a throwaway slogan for Scottish Publications?

Scottish pen are taking up the mantle for Haggerty. I wonder what the NUJ will have to say about it. Father of the chapel to visit the inner sanctum of Ibrox:rolleyes:

Bateman piles in. https://t.co/X0RxBp8Nus

grunt
29-01-2016, 05:09 PM
Scottish pen are taking up the mantle for Haggerty. I wonder what the NUJ will have to say about it. Father of the chapel to visit the inner sanctum of Ibrox:rolleyes:The NUJ had a post condemning the action on their site. But it seems to have been removed ...

Here's an article which mentions the support from NUJ. http://www.thedrum.com/news/2016/01/29/nuj-condemns-herald-pandering-mob-mentality-departure-angela-haggerty-and-graham

lucky
29-01-2016, 05:10 PM
Don't always agree with Haggerty but she is a talented journalist. Shocking the herald sack her for showing solidarity with Spiers. I hope Spiers names and shames the Rangers Director who is behind this and who admitted the "Billy Boys" song is ok to be sung

The Harp Awakes
29-01-2016, 05:23 PM
Don't always agree with Haggerty but she is a talented journalist. Shocking the herald sack her for showing solidarity with Spiers. I hope Spiers names and shames the Rangers Director who is behind this and who admitted the "Billy Boys" song is ok to be sung

One Director may have said it to GS, but you can bet your bottom dollar that every Rangers Director thinks the same. A club that is rotten to the core with bigotry.

grammyb111
29-01-2016, 05:24 PM
I write for the Herald from time to time and have told them I will do so no longer. My online subscription and daily newspaper purchase has been cancelled/stopped. There are a couple of good people in the sports desk there but this cannot go on.

Hibernia&Alba
29-01-2016, 05:28 PM
I write for the Herald from time to time and have told them I will do so no longer. My online subscription and daily newspaper purchase has been cancelled/stopped. There are a couple of good people in the sports desk there but this cannot go on.

Very principled of you :aok:

Smartie
29-01-2016, 05:29 PM

Good for you for making a stand and I applaud all of those who have chosen to do so.

I'm led to believe that journalism is a pretty tough game to be in these days - it can't be easy to turn down work on a point of principle.

cabbageandribs1875
29-01-2016, 05:39 PM

https://oauchristians.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/wpid-wp-1404470708873.jpeg?w=208

Jim44
29-01-2016, 05:42 PM

........ yes and after all, it was only a small minority. :rolleyes:

Bristolhibby
29-01-2016, 05:49 PM
Did The Rangers board make any comment about the singing of that song when we played at Ibrox a few weeks back? I may have missed it.

A tiny small minority.

http://youtu.be/dBTsCP9zLm4

J

JimBHibees
........ yes and after all, it was only a small minority. :rolleyes:

Is the problem not that Spiers didn't name anyone and then indicated that the other Board members would do nothing about it. I am afraid any organisation would defend what had been said. He needs to put up or shut up I am afraid. Any lawyer would seek a retraction based on what was reported.

ronaldo7

Watch yer back mate, Barclay McBain has told staff at both titles to refrain from using social media re the Spiers and Haggerty cases.:aok:

lucky
29-01-2016, 06:04 PM
It's time for us all to stand up against this. Free speech and a free press is fundamental in a democracy.

marleyhib
29-01-2016, 06:26 PM

I haven't read a paper in years for this very reason, there are better sources to get unbiased info. It's a a good thing newspapers are dying out, they are in general propaganda devices for political parties and big business. I wish the Metro would die too, how its distributed on buses is beyond me.

johnbc70
29-01-2016, 06:26 PM

Just want to echo the other comments and say well done and that must have been a hard decision.

Sergey
29-01-2016, 06:39 PM
This stinks of the masonic/orange lodge pulling the strings.

davidw
29-01-2016, 08:17 PM
The NUJ had a post condemning the action on their site. But it seems to have been removed ...

Here's an article which mentions the support from NUJ. http://www.thedrum.com/news/2016/01/29/nuj-condemns-herald-pandering-mob-mentality-departure-angela-haggerty-and-graham

It's on the BBC now: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-35439391

Interesting quote from the Sunday Herald editor in it.

TheGreenMan
29-01-2016, 08:57 PM

Respect. These people need to be stopped. Maybe one day Scotland will drag itself into the modern world. :idiot:

lucky
29-01-2016, 09:45 PM

It's this sort of crap that keeps sectarianism alive in Scotland

Nutmegged
29-01-2016, 11:37 PM
When a man like Graham Spiers criticises you know it"s done with the very best of intentions, I'm unsure about Heggarty, I don't believe she has the genuine integrity she likes to promote although some of the abuse she has had directed at her is sickening, standing up to that I tip my hat to her.

Spiers wont be out of work long or at least he wont be short on offere, hopefully his next gig is with a publication that has the balls to stand up for their employees

CyberSauzee
29-01-2016, 11:43 PM
When you have to resort to a free blog site to get your point across when you're part of the SMSM you know there's something wrong.

https://spiersstatement2016.wordpress.com/

HappyHibby93
30-01-2016, 02:35 AM

Very well said. Spiers is s good journalist and clearly a decent football fan. What he claimed is almost definitely true, and there lack of action is there for all to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststandwanab
30-01-2016, 06:46 AM
Expect better from The Herald.

Won't buy it again.

I will be joining you.

Good for you.

Total rubbish

It's on the BBC now: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-35439391

Interesting quote from the Sunday Herald editor in it.

Better late than never I suppose,

cabbageandribs1875
18-02-2016, 05:56 PM
reinstated

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-35607032

A columnist who was sacked by the Sunday Herald amid a row with Rangers is to write for the newspaper again.
Angela Haggerty said last month that she had been sacked for "expressing solidarity" with Graham Spiers.

18-02-2016, 05:58 PM
reinstated

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-35607032

A columnist who was sacked by the Sunday Herald amid a row with Rangers is to write for the newspaper again.
Angela Haggerty said last month that she had been sacked for "expressing solidarity" with Graham Spiers.

Good!

cabbageandribs1875
18-02-2016, 06:00 PM
Good!

i bet there's 'conditions' though...don't upset anyone at grayskull