PDA

View Full Version : Famous 5 Tribute

PatHead
28-01-2016, 07:22 PM
Realise that the original thread was removed but have noticed a tweet on the PM board that says Hibs Retro is proceeding with his fund raising campaign to raise £200,000 from March 5th.

Just to be clear I do not know Hibs Retro personally or hold him any ill will.

However I was at a meeting at Easter Road the other night and specifically asked about the statues as I had a small involvement a couple of years ago when it was previously discussed. Plans for a memorial were shelved as we plunged towards relegation and Margo McDonald's health deteriorated.

Hibs Retro has no approval from Hibs to organise any statue. No discussion had taken place as of Tuesday night about fund raising and Hibs Retro did not wish to discuss the positioning of the stand. In his opinion he would just put it on the pavement if Hibs don't agree to his demands. (Wonder how the council would feel about that?)

In principle I would love to see a statue but not at £200,000.

It would however have to be properly researched and all accounts audited with suitable safeguards. The agreement to Hibs placing the statue on their land would also have to be in place. I would also want to know what would happen if only say £50,000 was raised and what expenses would be charged for the fundraising and administration.

Personally I would rather that £200,000 was spent on a player which could be done through HSL or the forthcoming share issue.

If Hibs Retro wants to come on and clarify things I would like to hear but I would advise anyone who is thinking about contributing to think long and hard before getting involved.

PS could an admin sort the mis-spell in the title

Pretty Boy
28-01-2016, 08:03 PM
Tend to agree.

I was also distantly involved in the discussions about a Famous Five statue shortly after Lawrie Reilly passed away. From my memory there were all kinds of logistical issues to overcome as well as cost and various other factors relating to the football club at the time and all went quiet.

I'm all for a statue going ahead, although with my involvement both on here and now with HSL I'd be unable to play any active part, but Hibs Retro leading it makes me somewhat nervous. Given I have reservations about a lot of what they do now I'm unsure I'd contribute to a fund that potentially left them in charge of £200K.

stu in nottingham
28-01-2016, 08:17 PM
Here's a football statue fund that is just about the come to fruition. This one is of two people and is costing £75,000 which is possibly about pro rata.

It's taken from May 2010 to get there on around half the fan base that Hibs have, just a a yardstick. There are some decent fundraising ideas in there:

http://www.jimmyandjackstatuefund.co.uk/

Jack
28-01-2016, 08:22 PM
I would love a FF5 tribute statue thing.

I will have nothing to do with Hibs Retro.

Dashing Bob S
28-01-2016, 08:27 PM
I'm collecting for a Paul Kane statue. I reckon about 85 grand should see me alright to pay off the bailiffs, I mean, get a gleaming state of the art brass 'Kano' in his pomp outside the main entrance in the car park.

Please PM if interested with amount pledged and I'll send over the Western Union cash transfer forms.

BroxburnHibee
28-01-2016, 08:28 PM
As I posted the original thread I hadn't realised that Retro were not being as honest about it as I originally thought.

Personally I think it's definitely time to make this happen however the fundraising campaign/committee will IMHO need a leader/chairman that we can all trust and get behind.

PerfectlyFranck
28-01-2016, 08:32 PM
I would love a FF5 tribute statue thing.

I will have nothing to do with Hibs Retro.

Same here, I think we need a statue in honour of our greatest side.

I will have nothing to do with 'Hibernian Retro'; no amount of stolen Hibs images, videos and quotes will masquerade this fraud of a person.

The reason he may not be able to come on and talk about the statue is that he appears to be banned on Hibs forums. It's a shame he has the power to silence people on his social media pages as it allows him to project an image of sincerity and authenticity. For the umpteenth time, Hibs are the only body with the power to crack down on this chap - he is getting even worse.

I would put as much money as I could afford into a fitting fund for a statue, but only into an official account or one that isn't personally controlled by a ripoff merchant. Even a joint .net/Bounce fund would be suitable if all parties (including Hibs) agreed.

marinello59
28-01-2016, 09:01 PM
I'm collecting for a Paul Kane statue. I reckon about 85 grand should see me alright to pay off the bailiffs, I mean, get a gleaming state of the art brass 'Kano' in his pomp outside the main entrance in the car park.

Please PM if interested with amount pledged and I'll send over the Western Union cash transfer forms.

Talk about a well timed post. I was just about to send my bank account details to a Nigerian Prince. This seems a much better deal though.

Ged
28-01-2016, 09:30 PM
A statue would be great, but at this moment in time it would be a luxury we don't need. It's current players we need, not past ones.

And as mentioned above, Hibernian Retro shouldn't be trusted at all.

Hibernia&Alba
28-01-2016, 09:38 PM
Why was the original thread removed, and who is Hibernian Retro? :dunno:

lyonhibs
28-01-2016, 09:44 PM

That's what I'm wondering as well. Plenty of folk thus far saying he/she/it is a fraud, wouldn't trust them at all etc etc, without a great deal of evidence to back that kind of statement.

Safe to say, I'd need to see something decidedly more formal than a Facebook post to donate any money, but why the default position of them being cowboys??

In principle, I'm all for a Famous 5 statue, and gunmen that there's 5 of them and we'd want it done properly, I'm not sure if the quoted cost is so absolutely ludicrous.

Greenworld
28-01-2016, 09:52 PM
Easily sorted club open bank account fans contribute hit target amount statues built easy

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Scouse Hibee
28-01-2016, 10:02 PM

My question too. Is there proof of this alleged fraudulent activity?

Jack
28-01-2016, 10:03 PM
Easily sorted club open bank account fans contribute hit target amount statues built easy

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Perhaps not that easy.

Every sinue of our club must be directed towards promotion just now.

£200,000 misdirected from the support is the difference between having a John McGinn or a new contract for Jase or a new player of their caliber or it not happening.

At best Hibs Retro don't think at worst they're selfish wee *******s ... or maybe even worse.

FranckSuzy
28-01-2016, 10:12 PM
I am kinda :worried: to comment on this as the last time I posted on a Retro Hibernian thread, on Facebook, I received an email allegedly from them, stating I was being reported to the police, Hibs knew all about my 'crimes' and that I was a disgrace to the Hibs support. Oh, and the email was from a spoof address of Hibs.net too, for good measure.

If you're reading this then :na na:

Hibernia&Alba
28-01-2016, 10:23 PM
I am kinda :worried: to comment on this as the last time I posted on a Retro Hibernian thread, on Facebook, I received an email allegedly from them, stating I was being reported to the police, Hibs knew all about my 'crimes' and that I was a disgrace to the Hibs support. Oh, and the email was from a spoof address of Hibs.net too, for good measure.

If you're reading this then :na na:

I'm totally lost as to what's happening :greengrin. I remember the statue thread earlier in the week, but now I'm confused.

My_Wife_Camille
28-01-2016, 10:42 PM
Same here, I think we need a statue in honour of our greatest side.

I will have nothing to do with 'Hibernian Retro'; no amount of stolen Hibs images, videos and quotes will masquerade this fraud of a person.

The reason he may not be able to come on and talk about the statue is that he appears to be banned on Hibs forums. It's a shame he has the power to silence people on his social media pages as it allows him to project an image of sincerity and authenticity. For the umpteenth time, Hibs are the only body with the power to crack down on this chap - he is getting even worse.

I would put as much money as I could afford into a fitting fund for a statue, but only into an official account or one that isn't personally controlled by a ripoff merchant. Even a joint .net/Bounce fund would be suitable if all parties (including Hibs) agreed.
Glad someone else noticed this!

Everything they post on their Facebook, Twitter and now their YouTube channels are all ripped off someone else with absolutely no credit given. Noticed they'd been taking images designed by the Bounce and Four in Hand Twitter accounts, cut off the logos an then posted them on their own site!

I know its hardly the crime of the century but for me it's very much indicative of the type of person is behind it. They can bolt with their fundraising.

Twiglet
28-01-2016, 10:43 PM
The Hibs Historical Trust were talking about a statue a few years ago and they were getting costs and everything then. The last thing I remember talking to them about it was last summer was that it had been delayed because of the share issue/HSL/STs, fans were being asked for a lot money so to be asked again for even more might mean it fails to reach target. I don't know what their exact plans were.

When it appeared on facebook the other night I added a comment to the post asking about the HHTs involvement (I don't think they would drop out of the statue project completely) and where it was going, had Hibs agreed to location, etc? Hibs retro deleted my comment and then sent me a private message to answer, they said:

1. "We are spearheading the campaign now" - my question not answered, I wasn't asking about them taking charge, it was if HHT were still involved
2. "We have been in touch with the club and will release more details as we get closer to the campaign start date" - again question not answered.

I left it at that, I wasn't prepared to get into a debate about it. I don't know why my comment was deleted, there was nothing wrong with my questions as far I'm aware, they were reasonable and I wanted answers. I don't know why they couldn't be answered in the public forum.

That and what Pathead has said I won't be getting behind this. I will, however, support a project to build a statue in the future which I can feel confident about, supported by the club and where we can see the financials up front and will be informed of the expenses throughout.

The Harp
28-01-2016, 10:44 PM
Absolutely 100% of our efforts right now should be directed towards achieving promotion at the end of this season. Any extra money raised should be used to make this a reality. Only when we're back where we belong should a memorial to the Famous Five be considered. Pretty sure if the Five were here today they would prefer to see Hibs in the top flight rather than a statue of themselves outside a 2nd tier football stadium.

FranckSuzy
28-01-2016, 10:47 PM
Absolutely 100% of our efforts right now should be directed towards achieving promotion at the end of this season. Any extra money raised should be used to make this a reality. Only when we're back where we belong should a memorial to the Famous Five be considered. Pretty sure if the Five were here today they would prefer to see Hibs in the top flight rather than a statue of themselves outside a 2nd tier football stadium.

:agree: :top marks

HibeesLA
29-01-2016, 01:15 AM
Maybe they should put up a TV as a prize in the fundraising effort...

greenlex
29-01-2016, 02:32 AM
Until the share issue is 100% taken up and until we are back in the top league then any funds available from fans would be better directed to those goals rather than a statue. IMHO.

Argylehibby
29-01-2016, 06:22 AM
The Hibs Historical Trust were talking about a statue a few years ago and they were getting costs and everything then. The last thing I remember talking to them about it was last summer was that it had been delayed because of the share issue/HSL/STs, fans were being asked for a lot money so to be asked again for even more might mean it fails to reach target. I don't know what their exact plans were.

When it appeared on facebook the other night I added a comment to the post asking about the HHTs involvement (I don't think they would drop out of the statue project completely) and where it was going, had Hibs agreed to location, etc? Hibs retro deleted my comment and then sent me a private message to answer, they said:

1. "We are spearheading the campaign now" - my question not answered, I wasn't asking about them taking charge, it was if HHT were still involved
2. "We have been in touch with the club and will release more details as we get closer to the campaign start date" - again question not answered.

I left it at that, I wasn't prepared to get into a debate about it. I don't know why my comment was deleted, there was nothing wrong with my questions as far I'm aware, they were reasonable and I wanted answers. I don't know why they couldn't be answered in the public forum.

That and what Pathead has said I won't be getting behind this. I will, however, support a project to build a statue in the future which I can feel confident about, supported by the club and where we can see the financials up front and will be informed of the expenses throughout.

I believe their answer 2 has no element of truth in it

Amit
29-01-2016, 07:57 AM
As Kevin has stated, there is no involvement from the Club or Historical Trust at present.

Any project like this would need to be discussed in the correct forum with representation from all affected parties (i.e. Fans, Club, Historical Trust etc).

So far such a forum has not been held.

Amit

Ozyhibby
29-01-2016, 08:01 AM
I don't know a thing about Hibs Retro but what I would say is that we are currently in a massive fundraising effort in order to achieve fan ownership.
Right now, the fans through HSL are contributing about £25k a month to the club and we are obviously trying to increase that amount, so that the manager has the funds available to match our rivals.
Setting up a separate fund raising scheme among the support will only undermine HSL at this crucial time.
Perhaps when we achieve our target of 51% fan ownership we can think about carrying on to fund a statue with the full backing of the club and with input from all sections of the Hibs support.
In the meantime I would say to people, keep signing up for HSL, you're making a massive difference.
http://www.hiberniansupporters.co.uk/phone/donate.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve20
29-01-2016, 08:02 AM
A statue of the Famous 5 would be a great idea. I can't understand why people would be against it.

Hibernian Retro just seems like a Facebook page that people can comment on things from the past to do with Hibs. That's how it comes across anyway, so unless other people have more inside knowledge that the person/people running that page are up to no good, what is the problem?

Ozyhibby
29-01-2016, 08:08 AM
A statue of the Famous 5 would be a great idea. I can't understand why people would be against it.

Hibernian Retro just seems like a Facebook page that people can comment on things from the past to do with Hibs. That's how it comes across anyway, so unless other people have more inside knowledge that the person/people running that page are up to no good, what is the problem?

I don't think there is a single Hibs fan out there who is against the idea but it needs to be done properly with input from both the club and all sections of the support. And at the moment, the fans are already contributing massively to help fund fan ownership.

blackpoolhibs
29-01-2016, 08:10 AM
We've had far too many statues playing for us in recent times, lets wait until we are playing football at a decent level, and challenging for Europe and cups.

Then we can think about spending money on this, we would all want to see a statue on the side of the stand at the ground, but there's a time and place for this.

Now is not the right time.

Bostonhibby
29-01-2016, 09:05 AM
We've had far too many statues playing for us in recent times, lets wait until we are playing football at a decent level, and challenging for Europe and cups.

Then we can think about spending money on this, we would all want to see a statue on the side of the stand at the ground, but there's a time and place for this.

Now is not the right time.
Agree, and if it does happen I'd rather we consulted a bit more widely than just waiting on hibs retro telling us what to do.

My preference would be a 25ft statue of that Doherty guy we had from Wolves, there's plenty still life defending shots about so the modelling work is already done.

Either him or Kuqi.

Could make them out of carbon fibre to make them a bit more mobile than their playing days here.

Bostonhibby
29-01-2016, 09:08 AM
Realise that the original thread was removed but have noticed a tweet on the PM board that says Hibs Retro is proceeding with his fund raising campaign to raise £200,000 from March 5th.

Just to be clear I do not know Hibs Retro personally or hold him any ill will.

However I was at a meeting at Easter Road the other night and specifically asked about the statues as I had a small involvement a couple of years ago when it was previously discussed. Plans for a memorial were shelved as we plunged towards relegation and Margo McDonald's health deteriorated.

Hibs Retro has no approval from Hibs to organise any statue. No discussion had taken place as of Tuesday night about fund raising and Hibs Retro did not wish to discuss the positioning of the stand. In his opinion he would just put it on the pavement if Hibs don't agree to his demands. (Wonder how the council would feel about that?)

In principle I would love to see a statue but not at £200,000.

It would however have to be properly researched and all accounts audited with suitable safeguards. The agreement to Hibs placing the statue on their land would also have to be in place. I would also want to know what would happen if only say £50,000 was raised and what expenses would be charged for the fundraising and administration.

Personally I would rather that £200,000 was spent on a player which could be done through HSL or the forthcoming share issue.

If Hibs Retro wants to come on and clarify things I would like to hear but I would advise anyone who is thinking about contributing to think long and hard before getting involved.

PS could an admin sort the mis-spell in the title
If there's a way forward on the statue this is the approach I would support and contribute to. Not comfortable with the retro style.

Islington Hibs
29-01-2016, 09:56 AM
Two Hundred Grand.

Well forget that. I'll offer to knock one up at the bargain price of £100k :greengrin

GreenArmyyy!
29-01-2016, 10:12 AM
I have private mailed this guy a few times as he deletes any comments that even simply question what the plan is to "keep the post on topic". They have said they don't know where the statue will be yet but they are raising the money first, suspect to say the least. He also said they are in direct contact with the club which is also rubbish.

Hero76
29-01-2016, 10:21 AM
Peter Symington aka DJ Kid

blackpoolhibs
29-01-2016, 10:25 AM
As i said before, the time is not right at the moment, but when it is perhaps the right person for the job is the nurse with the purse? :wink:

Leithenhibby
29-01-2016, 10:28 AM
I don't know a thing about Hibs Retro but what I would say is that we are currently in a massive fundraising effort in order to achieve fan ownership.
Right now, the fans through HSL are contributing about £25k a month to the club and we are obviously trying to increase that amount, so that the manager has the funds available to match our rivals.
Setting up a separate fund raising scheme among the support will only undermine HSL at this crucial time.
Perhaps when we achieve our target of 51% fan ownership we can think about carrying on to fund a statue with the full backing of the club and with input from all sections of the Hibs support.
In the meantime I would say to people, keep signing up for HSL, you're making a massive difference.

http://www.hiberniansupporters.co.uk/phone/donate.html

This :agree:

http://www.hiberniansupporters.co.uk/donate.html

GGTTH

PatHead
29-01-2016, 10:32 AM
I have private mailed this guy a few times as he deletes any comments that even simply question what the plan is to "keep the post on topic". They have said they don't know where the statue will be yet but they are raising the money first, suspect to say the least. He also said they are in direct contact with the club which is also rubbish.

To be clear he did contact the club and they have spoken to him. It was a one sided discussion in which he told Hibs what he was doing and would not discuss anything else. He declined a meeting but it has allowed him to say he has discussed it with Hibs. He does not have approval to place any statue on Hibs owned ground and is not willing to discuss that or what his plans are for fundraising or how the money is going to be held and monitored.

I could approach the club with a great idea about putting a roof on the stadium but I would need their permission before I started fundraising or it would be a waste of time. I would also need to demonstrate that I was trustworthy, had realistic estimates of the costs, was capable of administering and monitoring the funds and had a plan B if the £200,000 was not raised. In short I would need to present a viable business plan and not just contact Hibs saying I was doing it.

As far as I am aware he does not have such a plan.

GreenArmyyy!
29-01-2016, 10:32 AM
Peter Symington aka DJ Kid

That's the one 👍

CropleyWasGod
29-01-2016, 01:28 PM
They have been challenged on FB about the fact that the Club haven't endorsed their plans.

Their response:-

The supporters are the club.

Pretty Boy
29-01-2016, 01:38 PM
They have been challenged on FB about the fact that the Club haven't endorsed their plans.

I struggle to see that standing up in court when they plant a £200K statue on either Hibs or the councils property.

CropleyWasGod
29-01-2016, 01:45 PM
I struggle to see that standing up in court when they plant a £200K statue on either Hibs or the councils property.

... echoes of what's going on in Court at the moment in Sevco's name. :greengrin

Bostonhibby
29-01-2016, 02:10 PM

Does that mean that all the fans who go for the Retro way of doing this get to have the statue in their back garden or on their balcony for a couple of weeks each?

Otherwise, without the clubs agreement on it being on their land, and what type of structure it is, not to mention the councils consent it does seem a rather novel approach to the issue.

PatHead
29-01-2016, 02:35 PM

I'm Spartacus.

Bostonhibby
29-01-2016, 02:43 PM
I'm Spartacus.

Make a good statue :wink:

Iggy Pope
29-01-2016, 02:51 PM
To be clear he did contact the club and they have spoken to him. It was a one sided discussion in which he told Hibs what he was doing and would not discuss anything else. He declined a meeting but it has allowed him to say he has discussed it with Hibs. He does not have approval to place any statue on Hibs owned ground and is not willing to discuss that or what his plans are for fundraising or how the money is going to be held and monitored.

I could approach the club with a great idea about putting a roof on the stadium but I would need their permission before I started fundraising or it would be a waste of time. I would also need to demonstrate that I was trustworthy, had realistic estimates of the costs, was capable of administering and monitoring the funds and had a plan B if the £200,000 was not raised. In short I would need to present a viable business plan and not just contact Hibs saying I was doing it.

As far as I am aware he does not have such a plan.

Aside from the fact that this tribute was discussed on here under the jurisdiction of Stewart Crowther about 15 years ago, I'm concerned about this. Are you suggesting that the Retro person and Hibs don't speak? There's a desk calendar in front of me now, bought in the Club Shop, that might suggest otherwise. Same guy?

PatHead
29-01-2016, 03:04 PM
Aside from the fact that this tribute was discussed on here under the jurisdiction of Stewart Crowther about 15 years ago, I'm concerned about this. Are you suggesting that the Retro person and Hibs don't speak? There's a desk calendar in front of me now, bought in the Club Shop, that might suggest otherwise. Same guy?

As I said earlier a conversation has taken place but RetroHibs did not get authority from Hibs to raise funds to place a statue at the stadium. He has gone off on his own accord.

I bought the official desk calendar as well but my son took it so I can't tell if it was him who made it.

Argylehibby
29-01-2016, 03:08 PM

If it's the one bought in the club shop and has Stanton and O'Rourke shaking hands for the January pic then it's got absolutely nothing to do with Hibs Retro. That was produced through a working together group team who's aim is to get merchandise in the shop that fans want.

A while back I asked the question on here what was missing from the club shop that folk wanted to buy and one of the many items suggested was a desktop calandar. You are looking at the result of our endeavours to produce one.

Iggy Pope
29-01-2016, 03:12 PM
As I said earlier a conversation has taken place but RetroHibs did not get authority from Hibs to raise funds to place a statue at the stadium. He has gone off on his own accord.

I bought the official desk calendar as well but my son took it so I can't tell if it was him who made it.

There must be some sort of relationship though if the Club Store happily promotes, stocks and sells Hibernian Retro product. Not quite the loose canon you're painting him / her / out to be? They're getting slated throughout this thread but they must have some sort of foot in the door.

Iggy Pope
29-01-2016, 03:18 PM
If it's the one bought in the club shop and has Stanton and O'Rourke shaking hands for the January pic then it's got absolutely nothing to do with Hibs Retro. That was produced through a working together group team who's aim is to get merchandise in the shop that fans want.

A while back I asked the question on here what was missing from the club shop that folk wanted to buy and one of the many items suggested was a desktop calandar. You are looking at the result of our endeavours to produce one.

It is that one and if it is nothing to do with Hibs Retro I'm mistaken and also a bit mis-informed. Who produced it then, forgive me? It appears to be on sale at other outlets too, so I cant think it is official.
I also answered that same thread with the request for a programme binder. Don't see any yet.

Bostonhibby
29-01-2016, 03:18 PM
I've bought a few desk calendars and hand them out down here, doesn't mean that I have given my support to the people that make them to go out and represent me in any debate about what to do about funding and building a statue.

I bought a Kinder egg today but I cannae see haribo getting involved in designing, fund raising, dealing with the council and Hibs to put up a statue on behalf of me and fans like me, not without asking us anyway.

PatHead
29-01-2016, 03:19 PM
There must be some sort of relationship though if the Club Store happily promotes, stocks and sells Hibernian Retro product. Not quite the loose canon you're painting him / her / out to be? They're getting slated throughout this thread but they must have some sort of foot in the door.

I am not aware of any products he produces for the club.

Pete
29-01-2016, 03:19 PM
Great sentiment but let's get our priorities right. Maybe in a few years when we are back on our feet in the top flight.

I'd also prefer more club involvement. No offence but I wouldn't be giving any money to a complete stranger.

Argylehibby
29-01-2016, 03:35 PM
It is that one and if it is nothing to do with Hibs Retro I'm mistaken and also a bit mis-informed. Who produced it then, forgive me? It appears to be on sale at other outlets too, so I cant think it is official.
I also answered that same thread with the request for a programme binder. Don't see any yet.

I don't know who printed it but in terms of who selected the photo's for it the WT group and the club selected them. Once we made our decision they final selection was provided to the shop manager who sourced the calandars. They were sold out very quickly by the way. If Hibs retro (or anyone else) has taken that calandar and reproduced it and claiming it as his own work he's being a little bit naughty.

The final list had well over 100 items on it so we may take a bit of time to get through them all, sorry your's hasn't been introduced yet!

Pretty Boy
29-01-2016, 03:55 PM

I've no idea if Hibs Retro is a lose cannon or not.

What I do know is last year they produced an email address that appeared to come from this site, it didn't, and made some unfounded and shameful allegations against a relatively 'well known' face in the Hibs community.

I wouldn't trust him/them as far as I could throw them.

PatHead
29-01-2016, 04:06 PM

Hi Iggy

Checked with my son and there appears to be no mention of Hibernian Retro on the one sold from the shop. The calendar is simply contains pictures of days gone by. It was arranged by Argyle Hibby and his group on working together.

I am sure the club will be interested in learning about the places who sell these calendars. Can you drop a pm with the names of any outlets you know? I will raise it at the next WT meeting.

FranckSuzy
29-01-2016, 04:59 PM
As i said before, the time is not right at the moment, but when it is perhaps the right person for the job is the nurse with the purse? :wink:

Better a retired hotelier who lives by the sea I reckon :greengrin

Iggy Pope
29-01-2016, 07:09 PM

I don't know who printed it but in terms of who selected the photo's for it the WT group and the club selected them. Once we made our decision they final selection was provided to the shop manager who sourced the calandars. They were sold out very quickly by the way. If Hibs retro (or anyone else) has taken that calandar and reproduced it and claiming it as his own work he's being a little bit naughty.

The final list had well over 100 items on it so we may take a bit of time to get through them all, sorry your's hasn't been introduced yet!

Hi Iggy

Checked with my son and there appears to be no mention of Hibernian Retro on the one sold from the shop. The calendar is simply contains pictures of days gone by. It was arranged by Argyle Hibby and his group on working together.

I am sure the club will be interested in learning about the places who sell these calendars. Can you drop a pm with the names of any outlets you know? I will raise it at the next WT meeting.

Pathead, Argyle
Apologies. I was wrong.
The desktop calendar I have is not the Hibs Retro Calendar I was mistakenly referring to.
The Hibs Retro Calendar (while being a thing of beauty, some of them autographed by Pat Stanton with an early 70s team photo on the front) is not the one that I have. The one I got at the shop is the product that Argyle and his group produced. And I'm happy with it, great effort.
And Argyle. keep up the initiative as a Programme binder is an overdue reintroduction.

Iggy Pope
29-01-2016, 07:14 PM
I've bought a few desk calendars and hand them out down here, doesn't mean that I have given my support to the people that make them to go out and represent me in any debate about what to do about funding and building a statue.

I bought a Kinder egg today but I cannae see haribo getting involved in designing, fund raising, dealing with the council and Hibs to put up a statue on behalf of me and fans like me, not without asking us anyway.

That really, wasn't at all relevant.

PatHead
29-01-2016, 07:16 PM
Pathead, Argyle
Apologies. I was wrong.
The desktop calendar I have is not the Hibs Retro Calendar I was mistakenly referring to.
The Hibs Retro Calendar (while being a thing of beauty, some of them autographed by Pat Stanton with an early 70s team photo on the front) is not the one that I have. The one I got at the shop is the product that Argyle and his group produced. And I'm happy with it, great effort.
And Argyle. keep up the initiative as a Programme binder is an overdue reintroduction.

Wasn't looking for apologies but thanks anyway.

The important thing is that anyone wanting money from supporters is trustworthy and isn't fleecing anyone. Sure someone will be along to state Retro's point.

Iggy Pope
29-01-2016, 07:17 PM
I've no idea if Hibs Retro is a lose cannon or not.

What I do know is last year they produced an email address that appeared to come from this site, it didn't, and made some unfounded and shameful allegations against a relatively 'well known' face in the Hibs community.

I wouldn't trust him/them as far as I could throw them.

Know nothing about any of that and I've explained my own misunderstanding I hope.

Iggy Pope
29-01-2016, 07:23 PM
Wasn't looking for apologies but thanks anyway.

The important thing is that anyone wanting money from supporters is trustworthy and isn't fleecing anyone. Sure someone will be along to state Retro's point.

They might and hopefully they don't go off on a tangent with it like I did.
And I'm 52. I wouldn't be offering money to any old. Jeez, it fills me with suspicion wondering where the dough goes when buying a calendar at the club shop......:greengrin

Pretty Boy
29-01-2016, 07:24 PM
Know nothing about any of that and I've explained my own misunderstanding I hope.

Absolutely no issue with yourself or your point.

As I've said above, in time I fully support a F5 statue at Easter Road. However this has to be done properly with full consultation with Hibs, the HSA, the relevant authorities and other interested parties. HR has gone out on a limb here and given my past experiences of them I'm wary about seeing such a potnetially substantial sum of money entrusted there especially given the apparent lack of transparency or plan in place.

Bostonhibby
29-01-2016, 07:46 PM
That really, wasn't at all relevant.

:agree: Calendar wasn't one of theirs.

Iggy Pope
29-01-2016, 07:51 PM
:agree: Calendar wasn't one of theirs.

I know that. You didn't though did you? Like I said, not at all relevant and a poor shot at humour in the end as well.

Bostonhibby
29-01-2016, 08:09 PM
I know that. You didn't though did you? Like I said, not at all relevant and a poor shot at humour in the end as well.

:confused: I only picked up on the calendar not being one of theirs when I seen the later posts, hence my agreement.

Rest of my earlier post wasn't aimed at you in particular and didn't quote you - it was a response to the earlier suggestion that maybe they were getting a hard time on the fundraising and maybe they actually did have other dealings with the club over merchandising.

Either way, nae hard feelings here.

PerfectlyFranck
30-01-2016, 05:09 AM

That's the worrying thing about his large social media following; he stocks it full of other people's nostalgic Hibs images and videos so it appears to be a sincere and authentic Hibs page. Then, he illegally flogs merchandise before deleting the ripoffs and flooding the page with Hibs images again.

The fans using the Twitter/Facebook may not know any better; any person flagging his illicit activities is removed/deleted before their comments are visible on the webpage. I think Hibs are currently the only body capable of stopping him or his webpages.

Are you suggesting that the Retro person and Hibs don't speak? There's a desk calendar in front of me now, bought in the Club Shop, that might suggest otherwise. Same guy?

If it's the one bought in the club shop and has Stanton and O'Rourke shaking hands for the January pic then it's got absolutely nothing to do with Hibs Retro.

If Hibs retro (or anyone else) has taken that calandar and reproduced it and claiming it as his own work he's being a little bit naughty.

That is more-or-less exactly what he does, in a variety of instances.

He sells things that quite clearly wouldn't have been allowed by the club, using the club's image, branding or other people's IP and designs as his own.
He has them printed onto cheap merchandise for pennies, after charging the buyer pounds. Deletes the ads/posts then repeats.

It's not an uncommon practice, but he is doing this in plain view to a large amount of Hibs fans.
Now he's trying to get people to 'donate' money into (what I presume) will be a personal account.

Perhaps this person isn't all there and their disregard is merely down to ignorance.
Deleting his ripoff flogs, removing comments and ignoring challenges to their authenticity suggests that he knows exactly what he is doing.

The 'fund' for £200,000 is quite a worrying issue, it needs to be prevented rather than addressed after he starts taking people's money.

I hope Hibs stop 'Hibernian Retro' a.k.a. DJ Kid as he's been doing this for a while now, seemingly without consequence.
I just hope any fans reading this thread will at least avoid 'Hibernian Retro'

Pretty Boy
30-01-2016, 07:11 AM
That's the worrying thing about his large social media following; he stocks it full of other people's nostalgic Hibs images and videos so it appears to be a sincere and authentic Hibs page. Then, he illegally flogs merchandise before deleting the ripoffs and flooding the page with Hibs images again.

The fans using the Twitter/Facebook may not know any better; any person flagging his illicit activities is removed/deleted before their comments are visible on the webpage. I think Hibs are currently the only body capable of stopping him or his webpages.

He sells things that quite clearly wouldn't have been allowed by the club, using the club's image, branding or other people's IP and designs as his own.
He has them printed onto cheap merchandise for pennies, after charging the buyer pounds. Deletes the ads/posts then repeats.

It's not an uncommon practice, but he is doing this in plain view to a large amount of Hibs fans.
Now he's trying to get people to 'donate' money into (what I presume) will be a personal account.

Perhaps this person isn't all there and their disregard is merely down to ignorance.
Deleting his ripoff flogs, removing comments and ignoring challenges to their authenticity suggests that he knows exactly what he is doing.

The 'fund' for £200,000 is quite a worrying issue, it needs to be prevented rather than addressed after he starts taking people's money.

I hope Hibs stop 'Hibernian Retro' a.k.a. DJ Kid as he's been doing this for a while now, seemingly without consequence.

I'm stunned Hibs haven't done anything about him yet.

Many moons ago and in a different era the club was already to go to war with this site for using the Hibs badge on our flag without permission. This guys is ripping off the clubs merchandise in plain sight and seems to be getting away scot free.

Argylehibby
30-01-2016, 08:36 AM
Pathead, Argyle
Apologies. I was wrong.

No apology needed Iggy. To be honest your questioning has hopefully helped a lot of people see that Hibs Retro are not what they claim to be and it may stop a few hibs supporters who might have donated to the Famous Five go to Barbados fund from doing so.

superfurryhibby
30-01-2016, 08:58 AM

I've found the Hibernian Retro page to be excellent. Lots of images I've never seen before and the odd bit of banter with former players commenting on their photos etc.

I have no idea who runs it etc, but I think there are some significant issues, aside from the statue one.

The issue with merchandising surely depends on the copyright. Hibs don't own the rights to photos or drawings made decades ago? He's not selling anything as endorsed by the club or using it's branding?

I've long said if that there are commercial opportunities with retro merchandise. Clearly businesses like Toffs, who make most of the retro tops you see, are testimony to that?

Hibernian Retro had a run of the League Cup final posters from 1972. The one I had as a laddie, that sadly was lost when I moved out of the parental home in my teens. To my mind that is the type of thing the club should e capable of dealing with. A small range of niche products which meet demands of fans of a certain vintage. If they can't do it then I'll purchase wherever I can.

As I said, the statue thing seems odd, maybe designed to jolt the board into action, given that we've heard it's been getting talked about for years,. However, some of the comments are sailing close to the wind. Unless people can state categorically the basis for them, then I think it's a bit like trial without jury. Maybe the Hibernian Retro guy should be coming in here and explaining his rationale,

FranckSuzy
30-01-2016, 09:39 AM
I've found the Hibernian Retro page to be excellent. Lots of images I've never seen before and the odd bit of banter with former players commenting on their photos etc.

I have no idea who runs it etc, but I think there are some significant issues, aside from the statue one.

The issue with merchandising surely depends on the copyright. Hibs don't own the rights to photos or drawings made decades ago? He's not selling anything as endorsed by the club or using it's branding?

I've long said if that there are commercial opportunities with retro merchandise. Clearly businesses like Toffs, who make most of the retro tops you see, are testimony to that?

Hibernian Retro had a run of the League Cup final posters from 1972. The one I had as a laddie, that sadly was lost when I moved out of the parental home in my teens. To my mind that is the type of thing the club should e capable of dealing with. A small range of niche products which meet demands of fans of a certain vintage. If they can't do it then I'll purchase wherever I can.

As I said, the statue thing seems odd, maybe designed to jolt the board into action, given that we've heard it's been getting talked about for years,. However, some of the comments are sailing close to the wind. Unless people can state categorically the basis for them, then I think it's a bit like trial without jury. Maybe the Hibernian Retro guy should be coming in here and explaining his rationale,

That's the issue though, when they have been questioned they delete comments/deny access to online pages etc etc. Not exactly the behaviour of someone who needs the fans to unite behind their idea for an expensive statue....

Agree re the retro items though and the club seems to have addressed the issue, albeit in a small way, recently :aok:

PerfectlyFranck
30-01-2016, 09:42 AM
I Maybe the Hibernian Retro guy should be coming in here and explaining his rationale,

He probably can't as the only place he isn't banned is his own Twitter & Facebook pages!

Even if he wasn't banned, I think it is fair to say that he wouldn't even post to 'explain his rationale'.
He removes & deletes any comments made by people on their webpages, that flag up his illicit activity.

Emails go unanswered or get ignored for the plainest of questions or queries.

superfurryhibby
30-01-2016, 10:24 AM
He probably can't as the only place he isn't banned is his own Twitter & Facebook pages!

Even if he wasn't banned, I think it is fair to say that he wouldn't even post to 'explain his rationale'.
He removes & deletes any comments made by people on their webpages, that flag up his illicit activity.

Emails go unanswered or get ignored for the plainest of questions or queries.

Okay, I wonder if the folk posting stuff about copyright etc would care to back up their statements? Since what we have are vague allegations which, from my perspective, are unfounded (ie: copyright based stuff).

I have bought Hibernian Retro stuff and patronise their page. If it was clear that there are underhand shenanigans then I would cease to do so. I'm quite shocked by some of the allusions made on here. As as ordinary fan and not in any way ITK, I think we need some more information.

I've no issues with opinions and strong views, but I don't like innuendo, especially when it concerns something like Hibs. Debate and discussion good- witch hunt bad.

PerfectlyFranck
30-01-2016, 11:12 AM
Okay, I wonder if the folk posting stuff about copyright etc would care to back up their statements? Since what we have are vague allegations which, from my perspective, are unfounded (ie: copyright based stuff).

I have bought Hibernian Retro stuff and patronise their page. If it was clear that there are underhand shenanigans then I would cease to do so. I'm quite shocked by some of the allusions made on here. As as ordinary fan and not in any way ITK, I think we need some more information.

I've no issues with opinions and strong views, but I don't like innuendo, especially when it concerns something like Hibs. Debate and discussion good- witch hunt bad.

Send them a message regarding this, or something about the 'allegations'.
Unless you know each other, I would be surprised if you got a response.
I'm merely flagging this ripoff merchant's activity for the umpteenth time, it becomes difficult to be specific about a range of issues that stretch back years.

It's difficult to start the discussion/debate you suggest when he actively removes anything of the sort from his webpages and ignores/avoids any correspondence with anyone questioning what he does.
Perhaps you could contact him via his email/Facebook/Twitter and get the response you seek.

And yes, I can use 'ripoff merchant', 'illicit flogger', etc.

I'm sorry to hear that you have given him money - my biggest issue with him is that he's fleecing people, by taking advantage of their love of all things 'Hibs'.
Now that he's launching a website and looking to take donations to a personal account*, I think Hibs need to put the foot down.
It's quite a big leap from street market swindler to a £200,000 fund that is not backed, approved or operated by anyone other than himself.

*(Charity/crowd fund sites are still useable through personal accounts too, in case he doesn't use his personal PayPal account).

superfurryhibby
30-01-2016, 11:28 AM
Send them a message regarding this, or something about the 'allegations'.
Unless you know each other, I would be surprised if you got a response.
I'm merely flagging this ripoff merchant's activity for the umpteenth time, it becomes difficult to be specific about a range of issues that stretch back years.

It's difficult to start the discussion/debate you suggest when he actively removes anything of the sort from his webpages and ignores/avoids any correspondence with anyone questioning what he does.
Perhaps you could contact him via his email/Facebook/Twitter and get the response you seek.

And yes, I can use 'ripoff merchant', 'illicit flogger', etc.

I'm sorry to hear that you have given him money - my biggest issue with him is that he's fleecing people, by taking advantage of their love of all things 'Hibs'.
Now that he's launching a website and looking to take donations to a personal account*, I think Hibs need to put the foot down.
It's quite a big leap from street market swindler to a £200,000 fund that is not backed, approved or operated by anyone other than himself.

*(Charity/crowd fund sites are still useable through personal accounts too, in case he doesn't use his personal PayPal account).

I just messaged him.

To be fair I did get something in exchange and whilst I would prefer to purchase merchandise via the shop, if they lack the wherewithal to meet the demand that is clearly there, then I'll go elsewhere.

The statue thing seems ridiculous and the is no way that any sane person would be doing this, surely. I suspect he will be raising very little in the way of donations?

From my perspective, the club are asking a lot from fans just now and it may be over-egging it to initiate a statue fund. However, these guys epitomise our club. They are the greatest players from the most glorious period of our history and it would be a fitting tribute to commemorate them with a permanent memorial. I see it as separate from the HSL thing and would gladly put my money to it, even if it is a longer term aspiration.

stu in nottingham
30-01-2016, 11:32 AM
There's maybe never a 'good' or easy time to begin fundraising for such a project as there will always be more urgent needs for funds.

As one or two others have said, the point when we're back in the top flight might be the best time to think about it. We've very urgent business in hand right now - getting out of this division.

lucky
30-01-2016, 11:36 AM
The F5 have been recognised by the club by having a stand named after them. For me it would be a waste of cash. Only way I could see it happening if some wealthy Hibs supporter stumped up the cash.

Radium
30-01-2016, 09:52 PM
Programme on at 22:55 on Alba tonight, if you missed it

Scouse Hibee
30-01-2016, 10:06 PM
Programme on at 22:55 on Alba tonight, if you missed it

Cheers mate just started to record it,will watch it tommorrow.

Purple & Green
09-03-2020, 01:33 PM
Did anything ever come of the statue, or the funds collected for it?

Onceinawhile
09-03-2020, 01:45 PM
Did anything ever come of the statue, or the funds collected for it?

Highly doubt it.

I'm sure I read somewhere recently that "hibernian retro" had changed hands.

As in, the person running it had sold the social media accounts and "branding".

If there was funds raised for the statue... it would be very interesting to know where they've gone.

DaveF
09-03-2020, 02:01 PM
Did anyone seriously donate to it?

Purple & Green
09-03-2020, 02:08 PM
Highly doubt it.

If there was funds raised for the statue... it would be very interesting to know where they've gone.

Who took it on?

Onceinawhile
09-03-2020, 02:11 PM
Who took it on?

No idea.

BroxburnHibee
09-03-2020, 03:33 PM
Did anyone seriously donate to it?

More fool them

BlackSheep
09-03-2020, 04:13 PM
I always thought this would be a great idea...

Would be great if it was a statue/sculpture, but heck... even a cut out of a high standard would look better than the artwork we currently have on display for the Famous Five.

Keith_M
09-03-2020, 06:23 PM
Highly doubt it.

I might be mistaken but, as I understood it, the guy that used to run Hibernian Retro has now (sadly) passed away.

Onceinawhile
09-03-2020, 08:36 PM
I might be mistaken but, as I understood it, the guy that used to run Hibernian Retro has now (sadly) passed away.

Possibly, I've no idea. Just saw that it had changed hands.