PDA

View Full Version : 'Favourites'

SonOfDavidFrancey
28-01-2016, 05:17 PM
So this weekend Hibs are favourites, all the pressure on Hibs etc (c) Tommy Wright
And next week Scotland are favourites, all the pressure's in Scotland (c) Eddie Jones

Psychological geniuses.

Pete
28-01-2016, 05:28 PM
So this weekend Hibs are favourites, all the pressure on Hibs etc (c) Tommy Wright
And next week Scotland are favourites, all the pressure's in Scotland (c) Eddie Jones

Psychological geniuses.

Wotherspoon also says all the pressure is on us.

I can see him being the next United manager. Fergie in the making or what?

Since90+2
28-01-2016, 05:45 PM
We are favourites with the bookies at 6/4. St Johnstone are 9/5

Thecat23
28-01-2016, 05:51 PM
We are fav's because we are a better team imo. Hibs would be easily top 6 with this squad and as much as Sat will be a tough I fully expect us to win.

Jack
28-01-2016, 06:48 PM
Wotherspoon also says all the pressure is on us.

I can see him being the next United manager. Fergie in the making or what?

I see the lad hasny shaved since he left us!

CL0762
28-01-2016, 06:50 PM
Quite ironic to see Wotherspoon talking about pressure.

HibsNutter
28-01-2016, 07:06 PM
In the Wotherspoon interview he effectively admitted he was too shi**bag to perform for a club like Hibs.

Onion
28-01-2016, 07:24 PM
In the Wotherspoon interview he effectively admitted he was too shi**bag to perform for a club like Hibs.

Saw that. Craig, Wotherspoon and their manager all on message - but it's all amateur psychobabble. Stubbs and Hibs need to take St J very seriously and not be taken in by this claptrap.

PatHead
28-01-2016, 07:27 PM
We are favourites because more people have bet on us than Saints.

JJP
28-01-2016, 07:33 PM

I saw that earlier. Pretty strange thing for a pro footballer to admit to.

monktonharp
28-01-2016, 07:47 PM
We are favourites because more people have bet on us than Saints. :agree:

Franck Stanton
28-01-2016, 08:13 PM
Okay, now imagine if you were a neutral punter, not affiliated to any football club what-so-ever but liked a wee bet on the fitba' on a saturday.

On the one hand you have a team in the top Scottish div, not likely to win it - but not in danger of being involved in the relegation fight either, playing a team from the lower division, looking like they will be involved in the play-offs], How on earth can anyone justify the lower league team being favourites ? Bugger the bookies, as someone mentioned in an earlier post, that's only because there are more hibbies betting on their team than sainties on theirs.

Beggars belief. { For what it's worth, I think we will win - but that's only because I am a Hibs man]

If they are going to play mind games, then they need to take some lessons as the crap they are coming out with is childish.

monktonharp
28-01-2016, 08:25 PM
I've not read any comments from St Johnstone players or their manager but we should expect them to try a bit of mind games. we are playing in our backyard(almost) and also have 3 sides of the terracing, so in terms of numbers we will be expected (by us and the press) to put up a good show. Saints have nothing to loose, in respect so have opted for the "we are the underdogs" course, in the hope it will galvanise their support and encourage their players. mind games, and I expect Stubbs to pull a mind game oot the hat soon:wink:

erin go bragh
28-01-2016, 09:05 PM
Okay, now imagine if you were a neutral punter, not affiliated to any football club what-so-ever but liked a wee bet on the fitba' on a saturday.

On the one hand you have a team in the top Scottish div, not likely to win it - but not in danger of being involved in the relegation fight either, playing a team from the lower division, looking like they will be involved in the play-offs], How on earth can anyone justify the lower league team being favourites ? Bugger the bookies, as someone mentioned in an earlier post, that's only because there are more hibbies betting on their team than sainties on theirs.

Beggars belief. { For what it's worth, I think we will win - but that's only because I am a Hibs man]

If they are going to play mind games, then they need to take some lessons as the crap they are coming out with is childish.

Maybe because we have already put out a better quality premier team in Aberdeen. .

GGTTH

Edson Arantes
28-01-2016, 09:20 PM
We are fav's because we are a better team imo. Hibs would be easily top 6 with this squad and as much as Sat will be a tough I fully expect us to win.

Better squad than Saints? Correct.

Top six in the SPL? Not so sure mate.

Maybe a wee bit wishful thinking?

Hope you are right by the way. :flag::flag:

Ronniekirk
28-01-2016, 09:22 PM
They haven't won a game in thier last six and haven't scored many goals in these games so that will be a factor However they are trying to put pressure on us in the hope we don't handle the occasion .Hopefully we still the pain of the Falkirk Semi and want to go one better thus time

Tyler Durden
28-01-2016, 09:36 PM
We are favourites because more people have bet on us than Saints.

I'm sure this has been done to death previously but that is not how the bookies work in this type of market.

How many bets do you think have been placed on either team 48 hours before the game?

seanshow
28-01-2016, 09:40 PM
I'll talk them up then, an always underated streetwise football team, O'Halloran is very dangerous with great pace and finishing ability, they skelped the sheepies 5 v 1 away from home, and 3 goals away to the sevconians, generally good away from home.

I hope the headline maker come 5 o'clock on Saturday is Cummings not Cummins. :flag:

JimBHibees
28-01-2016, 09:47 PM
I'll talk them up then, an always underated streetwise football team, O'Halloran is very dangerous with great pace and finishing ability, they skelped the sheepies 5 v 1 away from home, and 3 goals away to the sevconians, generally good away from home.

I hope the headline maker come 5 o'clock on Saturday is Cummings not Cummins. :flag:

Correct they are hugely dangerous and this game is set up perfectly for them apparently they have won 6 out of their last 7 away games. Pace on the break and a solid midfield. We will need to play brilliantly to win however think we can score against their defence who are IMO the weakest part of their team.

Toss of a coin game for me.

Michael
28-01-2016, 10:03 PM
Still not as bad as the "our best player is injured" chat before every derby!!!

Nakedmanoncrack
28-01-2016, 10:09 PM
I looked at the odds earlier in the week and admit to being amazed at Hibs being favourites.

Oscar T Grouch
29-01-2016, 03:24 AM
I've not read any comments from St Johnstone players or their manager but we should expect them to try a bit of mind games. we are playing in our backyard(almost) and also have 3 sides of the terracing, so in terms of numbers we will be expected (by us and the press) to put up a good show. Saints have nothing to loose, in respect so have opted for the "we are the underdogs" course, in the hope it will galvanise their support and encourage their players. mind games, and I expect Stubbs to pull a mind game oot the hat soon:wink:

You say backyard but what you actually mean is the brick outhouse at the bottom of the garden where the nasty smells emanate 😉

Onion
29-01-2016, 05:27 AM
Press sentiment is all with St J. Wee club stuffed by the officials over tickets, underdog claims by their manager, injured players, Wotherspoon left out of finals by Hibs, O'Hallaran main man etc etc .

NOTHING about Hibs being a Champ side playing a top Prem side. No "well done" to Hibs for getting past the best side in Scotland (Dons) and DUFC and getting to the semi. All about cocky Stubbs' treble claim, "talking sh***", and Hibs ability to cock things up. Lots about Hibs freezing on the day and how they messed up against Falkirk in the last semi.

The tone and balance of the coverage for a national semi-final is quite astonishing, something you'd rarely find in England.

Thecat23
29-01-2016, 06:01 AM

Because our team is better. We've beat Aberdeen and hammered Dundee Utd. When we went down our team was horrible, but this team would be top 6 without a doubt. Hibs for me are they better team and will show it sat. The league we are in means nothing.

Pete
29-01-2016, 06:07 AM
All things considered this truly is a toss of a coin.

No favourites, a totally even scrap.

Just as well the TV slot has been reserved for a potential Glasgow goal fest.:rolleyes:

lord bunberry
29-01-2016, 09:24 AM
All things considered this truly is a toss of a coin.

No favourites, a totally even scrap.

Just as well the TV slot has been reserved for a potential Glasgow goal fest.:rolleyes:
That's certainly how the bookies see it.

Kato
29-01-2016, 10:42 AM
The tone and balance of the coverage for a national semi-final is quite astonishing, something you'd rarely find in England.

I'm not astonished.

CallumLaidlaw
29-01-2016, 10:49 AM
Still not as bad as the "our best player is injured" chat before every derby!!!

you must've missed this then :wink:

http://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/2016/01/27/st-johnstone-have-injury-concerns-ahead-of-league-cup-semi-final/

allezsauzee
29-01-2016, 11:55 AM
I'd rather our players believed they were favourites than the underdogs. We are favourites to win most weeks in the championship anyway so just play our normal game and we'll win.

:gwa:

LithgaeHibby
29-01-2016, 11:58 AM
David Wotherspoon and Liam Craig were two players that were all too capable of wilting under pressure in the big games for us. Now they're playing in front of 3 tractor drivers and a dog at home each week, they find it easier to shine. Wotherspoon knows that the atmosphere at Swynie with Hibbies on 3 sides will be intimidating, so he's decided to try to transfer the "pressure" onto us. Pathetic mind games.