PDA

View Full Version : Champions League carve up

NAE NOOKIE
28-01-2016, 01:58 PM
Cant do links, but I see some of Europe's 'big clubs' have gotten together and are hoping to submit a plan to UEFA to give them automatic qualification to the Champions League every year.

The CL is already fixed by seeding to advantage the big clubs, if UEFA agree to this any lingering pretence that the game is about anything other than money will be over and done with.

ancient hibee
28-01-2016, 02:03 PM
Cant do links, but I see some of Europe's 'big clubs' have gotten together and are hoping to submit a plan to UEFA to give them automatic qualification to the Champions League every year.

The CL is already fixed by seeding to advantage the big clubs, if UEFA agree to this any lingering pretence that the game is about anything other than money will be over and done with.

Well that's how it started didn't it?Both the European Cup and Fairs Cup had clubs invited to play-notably one in green and white:greengrin

KeithTheHibby
28-01-2016, 02:05 PM
It's such a crap tired competition now anyways.

JeMeSouviens
28-01-2016, 02:10 PM
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10146497/european-club-association-discuss-champions-league-changes

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/6891343/Euro-giants-plan-Champions-League-cartel.html

Ozyhibby
28-01-2016, 02:44 PM
I've stopped watching it. Call me old fashioned but I prefer Scottish football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lucky
28-01-2016, 02:48 PM
It's heading towards the American version of sport. No relegation and everyone in the league S share the cash. It leads to franchises moving cities to get better deals. No doubt heading towards a European league. They just don't realise that it's turning fans off.

jgl07
28-01-2016, 02:50 PM
Because the likes of Manchester United, Milan,and Inter are too crap to qualify, the rules will have to be changed.

It will be a tournament for teams who used to be good at some time in the past.

Bloody disgrace!

It confirms that UEFA are even more corrupt than FIFA.

Thecat23
28-01-2016, 02:50 PM
Possibly the most over rated competition in football. It's crap, boring football with almost all the away teams bar a couple play for draws.

Stop this seeding pish and chuck everyone in one pot together. It'd Barca, Real, Bayern all land in one group so what? I can't mind the last time I watched a full game.

tartanhibee
28-01-2016, 02:53 PM
I very rarely watch any other football that isn't hibs these days not even other Scottish football. I used to watch loads but my circumstances are different, I don't know if it change in future but the money that's pouring into the game is a major turn off.

ChicagoHibee
28-01-2016, 04:54 PM

So, will Celtic receive automatic qualification to the Champions League final game each year since they are a big club?

Pretty Boy
28-01-2016, 04:56 PM
I really wish the self appointed historical elite and the noveau rich would **** off and form their own league, cups and association and leave the rest of us to get on with it.

Dashing Bob S
28-01-2016, 04:59 PM
That's neoliberal capitalism at it's best. Talk 'competition' and 'the market' while forming a self-perpetuating Soviet-style cartel and ripping everybody off.

Leithenhibby
28-01-2016, 05:01 PM
Possibly the most over rated competition in football. It's crap, boring football with almost all the away teams bar a couple play for draws.

Stop this seeding pish and chuck everyone in one pot together. It'd Barca, Real, Bayern all land in one group so what? I can't mind the last time I watched a full game.

:agree: 100%

Seeding is suffocating the game full stop. Take the FA Cup this year, we have all seen what can happen when the big boys meet the so called minnows........

Stevie Reid
28-01-2016, 05:01 PM
Those articles are an unbelievably depressing read.

SteveHFC
28-01-2016, 05:05 PM
They should just bring back the old European Cup Format.

Deansy
28-01-2016, 05:18 PM
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10146497/european-club-association-discuss-champions-league-changes

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/6891343/Euro-giants-plan-Champions-League-cartel.html

'Some members of the ECA, which represents the interests of some of the biggest clubs in Europe, are concerned that too many big clubs are missing out on places in the Champions League'

WHAT ?? So they're in danger of becoming not quite as 'Big clubs' whilst small clubs get the chance to become big clubs ??. Sorry but that's what SPORT - any sport - is meant to be about, an ever-changing process of who's best/bigest !!. As it is just now, personally I just can't be bothered with the ECL as it's just the same clubs every year but I suppose the ones who already have the money will see to it that they remain the ones with the money !!

Michael
28-01-2016, 05:21 PM
Ridiculous proposition!

As for seeding, it's something that should never be used in team sports - especially football. For example, in football, no one cares if the champions league final is comprised of the best two teams (say Bayern and Barca) with the exception of the two sets of fans of those teams. In tennis however (unless you have a local hero like Tim Henman) you really just want to the best players take each other on in the latter stages.

Seeding has ruined the champions league...it wasn't as noticeable before...but the last 5 - 10 years have been very boring competitively.

Hibs Class
28-01-2016, 05:34 PM
Ridiculous proposition!

As for seeding, it's something that should never be used in team sports - especially football. For example, in football, no one cares if the champions league final is comprised of the best two teams (say Bayern and Barca) with the exception of the two sets of fans of those teams. In tennis however (unless you have a local hero like Tim Henman) you really just want to the best players take each other on in the latter stages.

Seeding has ruined the champions league...it wasn't as noticeable before...but the last 5 - 10 years have been very boring competitively.

It's ruined the CL, but then the CL already ruined the European cup. Seeding also ruins the Europa cup, by dictating the round at which teams enter, the number of places by country, and the seeding of individual teams in the draw

Pete
28-01-2016, 05:37 PM
The ECA: everything that is wrong with modern football.

greenginger
28-01-2016, 05:42 PM
Because the likes of Manchester United, Milan,and Inter are too crap to qualify, the rules will have to be changed.

It will be a tournament for teams who used to be good at some time in the past.

Bloody disgrace!

It confirms that UEFA are even more corrupt than FIFA.

In which case , should there not be places reserved for the original four European Cup semi-finalists. :greengrin

Mango Man
28-01-2016, 05:42 PM
They should just bring back the old European Cup Format.

Absolutely, same with the Uefa cup and the Cup winners cup, that was a great set up and made sense, cup winners go in the cup winners cup, 2nd, 3rd go in the Uefa cup and Champions in the Champions league.

superfurryhibby
28-01-2016, 05:52 PM
Champions League......yer having a laugh.

Football is a case study of everything wrong with business led sport. We 've ripped out it's heart and soul and replaced it with a freakish, inflated monstrosity that passes for the abomination that is the modern game.

Interested to see so many positively negative comments on it. I wonder where it's biggest TV markets are, if they remain in Europe or if indeed the Asian market etc have superseded us as a commercial proposition?

It would seem that the average fan, as epitomised by the weird and wonderful collection of lovable rapscallions that post on Hibs Net are disillusioned with it. Conversely, the EPL seems to grow and grow in the psyche of people on here ( more the younger fans maybe?).

Where will it all end up? Maybe it would be good for the franchises to **** off and leave the rest of us to get on with it.

MyJo
28-01-2016, 06:03 PM
Its just the first step towards a permanent NFL style Euro-league where "franchises" are granted to the biggest clubs in each region to be part of the league based on how much revenue they can generate rather than being a tournament that is qualified for like it is just now.

allezsauzee
28-01-2016, 06:08 PM
I lost interest in it a few years ago. I suspect Sky were also quite happy to let BT take the viewing rights because the majority of fans in the UK have no real emotional connection and are bored with the same clubs end up fighting it out. How many seasons in a row have we had PSG v Chelsea in the knock out stage (albeit a round earlier this season) for example.

The Leith Dutch
28-01-2016, 06:19 PM
Lots of talk of the American approach which much as I hate to say it is in many ways more mature.

For each of their sports there are, what, 30 or so top level teams.
Over a population of 350 million people.
The rest are owned feeder clubs.

Sure there's no promotion and relegation but at least there are 30 teams all with a chance of winning.

Granted a lot of them are part time but in Scotland we're trying to support 42 teams in a population of 5 million and over 120 or so running of the top league it's only been one 19 times by someone other than the ugly sisters. There's only ever been 11 different winners of the league and two of them (Third Lanark and Rangers don't exist anymore).

Not saying it's perfect and not saying I want football to go that way but there's a lot of clubs that will never get off the sporting equivalent of life support.

All that said the seeding mularky is utter nonsense - removes any possibility of it not being a sham competition.

DH1875
28-01-2016, 06:29 PM
So, will Celtic receive automatic qualification to the Champions League final game each year since they are a big club?

Laugh if you want but IF and I still see it being a big IF we did/do end up with an elite European league made up of 32 teams (same number as the NFL) then I can/could see celtic getting an invite.

Pete
28-01-2016, 06:31 PM
Lots of talk of the American approach which much as I hate to say it is in many ways more mature.

For each of their sports there are, what, 30 or so top level teams.
Over a population of 350 million people.
The rest are owned feeder clubs.

Sure there's no promotion and relegation but at least there are 30 teams all with a chance of winning.

Granted a lot of them are part time but in Scotland we're trying to support 42 teams in a population of 5 million and over 120 or so running of the top league it's only been one 19 times by someone other than the ugly sisters. There's only ever been 11 different winners of the league and two of them (Third Lanark and Rangers don't exist anymore).

Not saying it's perfect and not saying I want football to go that way but there's a lot of clubs that will never get off the sporting equivalent of life support.

All that said the seeding mularky is utter nonsense - removes any possibility of it not being a sham competition.

Agree with this.

There are always more popular teams within a sport but the Americans know that without competition, you don't have a "product".

There are lots we can learn from the way MLB and the likes is structured.

Thecat23
28-01-2016, 06:48 PM
Agree with this.

There are always more popular teams within a sport but the Americans know that without competition, you don't have a "product".

There are lots we can learn from the way MLB and the likes is structured.

Also agree, they do run their sports well.

Bostonhibby
28-01-2016, 06:52 PM

Scandalous if it happens, will spend even more time watching grass roots football and be even less interested in this greedfest.

Shame the Yams historical stadium will make their automatic big team a bit of a disappointment though. Every cloud has a silver lining :greengrin

NadeAteMyLunch!
28-01-2016, 06:56 PM
I would usually watch any game on the telly, however I'm currently having a bit of beef with BT Sport and as a result, I've not watched a single game this season. Not missed it one little bit [emoji42]

Alex Trager
28-01-2016, 06:57 PM

Absolutely guaranteed to generate interest as well.

Unlikely

GreenLake
28-01-2016, 07:00 PM
Laugh if you want but IF and I still see it being a big IF we did/do end up with an elite European league made up of 32 teams (same number as the NFL) then I can/could see celtic getting an invite.

To fill the role of whipping boys.

blackpoolhibs
28-01-2016, 07:07 PM
I would usually watch any game on the telly, however I'm currently having a bit of beef with BT Sport and as a result, I've not watched a single game this season. Not missed it one little bit [emoji42]

Get yourself a firestick. and you can watch it without paying them. You also get to stick one up them in the process. :wink:

Bishop Hibee
28-01-2016, 07:14 PM
A Euro League has been on the cards for years. Greed knows no bounds. Now it's all on BT Sport which I don't have I've not watched a single game this season.

I prefer watching Hibs.

ChicagoHibee
28-01-2016, 07:50 PM

Maybe, but this isn't 2009. They are basically a feeder team for Southampton now..........6-7 years can change a lot. I'm thinking we are going to agree to disagree on this one.

Malthibby
28-01-2016, 08:03 PM
That's neoliberal capitalism at it's best. Talk 'competition' and 'the market' while forming a self-perpetuating Soviet-style cartel and ripping everybody off.

:agree: Couldn't have put it better myself, & I won't 'cos you have. They can gtf.
GG

Hibby Bairn
28-01-2016, 08:07 PM
I miss Cologne, Nottingham Forest, Ajax, Red Star Belgrade, Hadjuk Split, Locomotiv Leipzeg, Ipswich Town, St Etienne, Leeds Utd etc.

Unlikely ever to be seen again in latter stages.

Scorrie
28-01-2016, 08:34 PM
I've stopped watching it. Call me old fashioned but I prefer Scottish football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's my view as well. Unless Hibs get into the Champions League I cannae be bothered with it now

southern hibby
28-01-2016, 08:49 PM
Surely the self proclaimed Big club will be begged to come in as they're the biggest ever by an imaginary mile.

GGTTH

Bostonhibby
28-01-2016, 08:57 PM
Surely the self proclaimed Big club will be begged to come in as they're the biggest ever by an imaginary mile.

GGTTH

:agree: When you take into account their 2008 CL win as promised by Romanov and the fact that the megasuperhotelstadium can only be a matter of days away from completion per the boxes of drawings, it can only be a question of time before they are sucked into this.

Cannae see the Poppy money theft damaging the CL brand image at all.

NadeAteMyLunch!
28-01-2016, 09:54 PM
Get yourself a firestick. and you can watch it without paying them. You also get to stick one up them in the process. :wink:

Correct. Think I'll need to get involved. They certainly ain't getting my cash [emoji106]

Thecat23
28-01-2016, 11:18 PM
Absolutely guaranteed to generate interest as well.

Unlikely

That's the thing, more folk would watch it if you had groups like that. Instead you get the same boring groups that nobody cares about.

GlasgowHibee
28-01-2016, 11:46 PM
BT Sport's goals show has made the competition for me this year, great watch with even better pundits.