PDA

View Full Version : John Ogilvie

The Harp
27-01-2016, 04:30 PM
Was so impressed by John Ogilvie’s contribution on the tribute programme to the Famous Five the other night that I decided to take a closer look at some details of his playing days.
Although John would’ve been playing when I first stared my long love affair with the Hibs, I can’t recall anything other than his name being mentioned occasionally over the years. There’s no denying he’s a natural story teller - just wondered why the club haven’t had him appear on some of their promotional stuff before now. Maybe they have, of course, and I just haven’t seen it.
Anyway, here’s what I found:

John Ogilvie
One of the most enthusiastic players at Easter Road and that says something! Came to the club in 1947from Thorniewood United and made his League debut against Queen of the South the following season. Finished up at left-back after Davie Shaw was injured. Came into prominence in the latter part of last season (‘49/50). A Motherwell lad, John is a joiner, and is popular with the other players for his talent in the singing line. His cousin is the famous pre-war Motherwell left-half – another Johnny Ogilvie.
From Hibs Handbook for season 1950/51

And the following from Hibernian The Players and Managers 1946 – 2009
By Jim Jeffrey
OGILVIE, John
Left-back
Born : Motherwell, 28 October 1928.
Career: Thorniewood United, Hibernian 1946, Leicester City 1955, Mansfield Town 1960.
In the 1951 Scottish Cup semi-final at Tynecastle against Motherwell John suffered a transverse fraction of his leg. There was some irony that he himself was a native of Motherwell and indeed spent much of his recuperation using Motherwell’s swimming baths. He had broken into the side in the late 1940s and with his swift tackling and no-nonsense approach was a popular figure. Having said that the facts remain that he only played 35 league games for Hibs over a period of eight seasons. Hibernian granted him a free transfer in April 1955. This was his cue to try his luck elsewhere and in September 1955 he joined Leicester City and made almost 100 appearances for the Foxes.

Hiber-nation
27-01-2016, 05:24 PM
Was so impressed by John Ogilvie’s contribution on the tribute programme to the Famous Five the other night that I decided to take a closer look at some details of his playing days.
Although John would’ve been playing when I first stared my long love affair with the Hibs, I can’t recall anything other than his name being mentioned occasionally over the years. There’s no denying he’s a natural story teller - just wondered why the club haven’t had him appear on some of their promotional stuff before now. Maybe they have, of course, and I just haven’t seen it.
Anyway, here’s what I found:

John Ogilvie
One of the most enthusiastic players at Easter Road and that says something! Came to the club in 1947from Thorniewood United and made his League debut against Queen of the South the following season. Finished up at left-back after Davie Shaw was injured. Came into prominence in the latter part of last season (‘49/50). A Motherwell lad, John is a joiner, and is popular with the other players for his talent in the singing line. His cousin is the famous pre-war Motherwell left-half – another Johnny Ogilvie.
From Hibs Handbook for season 1950/51

And the following from Hibernian The Players and Managers 1946 – 2009
By Jim Jeffrey
OGILVIE, John
Left-back
Born : Motherwell, 28 October 1928.
Career: Thorniewood United, Hibernian 1946, Leicester City 1955, Mansfield Town 1960.
In the 1951 Scottish Cup semi-final at Tynecastle against Motherwell John suffered a transverse fraction of his leg. There was some irony that he himself was a native of Motherwell and indeed spent much of his recuperation using Motherwell’s swimming baths. He had broken into the side in the late 1940s and with his swift tackling and no-nonsense approach was a popular figure. Having said that the facts remain that he only played 35 league games for Hibs over a period of eight seasons. Hibernian granted him a free transfer in April 1955. This was his cue to try his luck elsewhere and in September 1955 he joined Leicester City and made almost 100 appearances for the Foxes.

Thanks for that. I had heard of him but didn't know much about him.

He was excellent on that programme.

Smartie
27-01-2016, 05:46 PM
Thanks for that. I had heard of him but didn't know much about him.

He was excellent on that programme.

He must be a Hibs legend as he shares his birthday with Lawrie Reilly, Franck Sauzee and myself.

brog
27-01-2016, 06:58 PM
Another ridiculous Hibs Cup saga that season. Despite beating Well 9-3 on aggregate over the 2 league games we lost both the League Cup Final & the Cup semi to them. As John Ogilvie said in the FF documentary both he & Willie Ormond suffered leg breaks in the semi final & despite playing with 9 men still only lost 3-2. My Dad still muttered about that game 50 years later!

madabouthibs
27-01-2016, 06:59 PM
He was great, love seeing these old boys talking about the Hibs glory years so fondly. :thumbsup:

I'm surprised there wasn't any real mention of Bobby Combe, a lot of people refer to him as the sixth member of the FF. :agree:

NadeAteMyLunch!
27-01-2016, 08:29 PM
Another ridiculous Hibs Cup saga that season. Despite beating Well 9-3 on aggregate over the 2 league games we lost both the League Cup Final & the Cup semi to them. As John Ogilvie said in the FF documentary both he & Willie Ormond suffered leg breaks in the semi final & despite playing with 9 men still only lost 3-2. My Dad still muttered about that game 50 years later!

Literally sums up our 140 year Scottish cup luck in one game

erin go bragh
27-01-2016, 08:45 PM
He was great, love seeing these old boys talking about the Hibs glory years so fondly. :thumbsup:

I'm surprised there wasn't any real mention of Bobby Combe, a lot of people refer to him as the sixth member of the FF. :agree:

I actually thought JO was Bobby Combe at first . Loved Johns enthusiasm tho . Wasn't keen on the staged footage of the five as young players .

GGTTH