PDA

View Full Version : League cup semi-finals

26-01-2016, 09:17 PM
Just watching the Liverpool v Stoke game and it got me thinking. Would you rather play league cup semi-finals as a home/away 2 leg thing or prefer it how we do in Scotland and just do 1 game at a neutral venue with ET and penalties if required?

Personally i am more in favour of how we do it here. Get a neutral venue and get it over and done with in one day rather than adding more games to what is already a hectic fixture list for some clubs. Much better for the fans as well only having to pay for 1 ticket.

bingo70
26-01-2016, 09:27 PM
Definitely 1 game at a neutral venue for me.

My opinion might change if we weren't already playing the same teams so often though.

Eyrie
26-01-2016, 09:35 PM
I prefer our version where it's decided on the day. Adds some immediate excitement whilst a two legged affair can be a drag if the first game sees the two teams more concerned about not losing, or the second game is meaningless if the first game was decisive.

lucky
26-01-2016, 09:39 PM
1 game is fairer, 2 legged generally favours bigger clubs. The English play 1 game through out bar the semi. The winners also get a European place

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-01-2016, 12:59 AM
Two leg ties down south in the league cup surely favour the away team in the 2nd leg although thats not how it worked out last night. The away team in leg 1 has 90 mins to score away goals, potentially the away team in the 2nd leg has 2 hours.

Iceman1875
27-01-2016, 11:14 AM
So, if it's a draw after 90 mins on sat it will be ET and possibly penalties yeah?

At Easter Road we play...

iwasthere1972
27-01-2016, 11:36 AM
So, if it's a draw after 90 mins on sat it will be ET and possibly penalties yeah?

At Easter Road we play...

Think so. That's what happened when ICT knocked out the Jambos at Easter Road in the semi final two years ago.

erin go bragh
27-01-2016, 11:37 AM
I remember a league cup Semi against Old Rangers over two legs . Winning 2-0 at home , then going through to the Final after losing 1-0 at Castle Greyskull . Season 85/86 .
Prefer the one-off game myself.

GGTTH

CockneyRebel
27-01-2016, 11:52 AM
Just watching the Liverpool v Stoke game and it got me thinking. Would you rather play league cup semi-finals as a home/away 2 leg thing or prefer it how we do in Scotland and just do 1 game at a neutral venue with ET and penalties if required?

Personally i am more in favour of how we do it here. Get a neutral venue and get it over and done with in one day rather than adding more games to what is already a hectic fixture list for some clubs. Much better for the fans as well only having to pay for 1 ticket.

A two leg semi final might be fairer as the old firm often get to semis and Hamden is like a home tie for their supporters.

Nutmegged
27-01-2016, 01:59 PM
Definitely a one off Semi Final at a Neautral venue, no doubt at all, if anything though I think I'd prefer them to be played half 5/6ish on a Saturday/Sunday as I think playing a Semi Final under the lights creates an even better atmosphere.

Scouse Hibee
27-01-2016, 02:10 PM
2 legs for me in the league cup, makes that competition a bit different instead of dragging folk across the country for a neutral venue.

Onion
27-01-2016, 02:35 PM
Tough one. Who'll ever forget the 1985 double header LC Semi with the Huns ? First time any team (other than Celtic) had filled the Broomloan Stand and one of the most nervous last 10 mins ever. Best I've ever felt after a defeat.