PDA

View Full Version : Arthur Duncan

HibsNZ
26-01-2016, 04:10 AM
First post for a while on here, but I had a friend over here in Auckland (a local football journalist) ask me for some help. Apparently Arthur Duncan moved here a few years ago to be with family and my mate would love to interview him about his time at Hibs and about the derbies he's played in. End of the day if he would prefer his privacy that's fine, but if anybody could help it would be nice to hear from a bit of a Hibs legend in our local press!

ozhibs
26-01-2016, 04:22 AM
Sorry can,t help with contact but it would be great to hear what he has to say.

IanM
26-01-2016, 06:24 AM
http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/player-profiles/item/37-arthur-duncan

That's all I could find but you already knew this !

brog
26-01-2016, 07:49 AM
First post for a while on here, but I had a friend over here in Auckland (a local football journalist) ask me for some help. Apparently Arthur Duncan moved here a few years ago to be with family and my mate would love to interview him about his time at Hibs and about the derbies he's played in. End of the day if he would prefer his privacy that's fine, but if anybody could help it would be nice to hear from a bit of a Hibs legend in our local press!
Arthur would be delighted im sure, he's always very approachable. Try thru ER for ex players association. If problems pm me, good luck!

scm70nyd1973
26-01-2016, 08:33 AM

Kiaora Hibs NZ ! I just moved over here (Mairangi Bay) from Melbourne (come to think of it I will need to change my details !) hopefully for good. I was brought up in Glasgow in the 60s and 70s (not easy when you were a Hibby and a big one at that) but thankfully my old man was a Hibby and he took me to see the TTs for many years until he got bored - I never did and became more than a fanatic. I don't really have any heroes or favourites from the TTs in the early 70s - they were all my heroes and favourites but AD had something in his personality that made you feel as if he was a real decent guy and someone you would like to know (hasten to add I will not be a stalker of his over here !!). If you can trace him and he would be willing to meet up with more than one Hibby - a Weegie at that - then I would be chuffed to bits but more honoured than anything else ! Just knowing that he is in this wonderful country of ours makes me feel good !

ekhibee
26-01-2016, 09:40 AM
This must have been relatively recently, i.e. in the last couple of years. He used to live along from my parents in Breich, West Lothian. He was a chiropodist as well after he left football.

cabbageandribs1875
26-01-2016, 10:13 AM
:singing:Arthur
oh Arthur Duncan
oh Arthur Duncan on the wing

nijinsky, the horse not the ballet dancer

brog
26-01-2016, 10:24 AM
This must have been relatively recently, i.e. in the last couple of years. He used to live along from my parents in Breich, West Lothian. He was a chiropodist as well after he left football.

I think he moved a while ago. I was at the inaugural Hibs Hall of Fame dinner in 2010 IIRC & Arthur couldn't attend as he had already moved away.

DaveF
26-01-2016, 12:39 PM
I think he moved a while ago. I was at the inaugural Hibs Hall of Fame dinner in 2010 IIRC & Arthur couldn't attend as he had already moved away.

Breich or NZ? No wonder left :-)

brog
26-01-2016, 01:00 PM
Breich or NZ? No wonder left :-)

Aye, dreich Breich right enough!

maudette 11
26-01-2016, 06:38 PM
First post for a while on here, but I had a friend over here in Auckland (a local football journalist) ask me for some help. Apparently Arthur Duncan moved here a few years ago to be with family and my mate would love to interview him about his time at Hibs and about the derbies he's played in. End of the day if he would prefer his privacy that's fine, but if anybody could help it would be nice to hear from a bit of a Hibs legend in our local press!Arthur Duncan

Yes Arthur (MY HERO), left in 2009, i remember it well. He left for a better life in NZ, with his wife to be near their son, and at that time 1 grandchild. And they wanted to see him growing up.He still had his private clients when he was with Livingston FC...

Their was a chap at our table at the Hall of Fame Dinner said he had his email address, so i will try and see if my Sister remembers
the guys name.

maudette 11
26-01-2016, 06:40 PM

Arthur Duncan

Yes Arthur (MY HERO), left in 2009, i remember it well. He left for a better life in NZ, with his wife to be near their son, and at that time 1 grandchild. And they wanted to see him growing up.He still had his private clients when he was with Livingston FC...

Their was a chap at our table at the Hall of Fame Dinner said he had his email address, so i will try and see if my Sister remembers
the guys name.

HibsNZ
27-01-2016, 06:28 AM
Kiaora Hibs NZ ! I just moved over here (Mairangi Bay) from Melbourne (come to think of it I will need to change my details !) hopefully for good. I was brought up in Glasgow in the 60s and 70s (not easy when you were a Hibby and a big one at that) but thankfully my old man was a Hibby and he took me to see the TTs for many years until he got bored - I never did and became more than a fanatic. I don't really have any heroes or favourites from the TTs in the early 70s - they were all my heroes and favourites but AD had something in his personality that made you feel as if he was a real decent guy and someone you would like to know (hasten to add I will not be a stalker of his over here !!). If you can trace him and he would be willing to meet up with more than one Hibby - a Weegie at that - then I would be chuffed to bits but more honoured than anything else ! Just knowing that he is in this wonderful country of ours makes me feel good !

If I can make contact and Arthur was ok with it I'd defo try
and get some sort of Hibs get together. I'll keep you posted.

HibsNZ
27-01-2016, 06:30 AM
Arthur Duncan

the guys name.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers maudette!

HibsNZ
27-01-2016, 06:32 AM
Arthur would be delighted im sure, he's always very approachable. Try thru ER for ex players association. If problems pm me, good luck!

Cheers Brog I've been told Paul Kane runs it so gonna try and make contact through club.

brog
27-01-2016, 12:17 PM
Cheers Brog I've been told Paul Kane runs it so gonna try and make contact through club.

OK, any probs let me know.

scm70nyd1973
27-01-2016, 06:16 PM

That would be braw or as the Weegies say "pure dead brilliant by the way" !

big-mo
27-01-2016, 07:02 PM
I am secretary of the HFPA ( Hibernian Former Players Association) and we lost contact with Flyer after his move to NZ. We still have his Hall of Fame trophy and would love to get it to him. If anyone can find his details please let me know. Not sure if he is still working as a chiropodist.

WellingtonHibby
27-01-2016, 09:00 PM

Plenty of us down in Wellington, at least six!
We'd all be keen!

heretoday
28-01-2016, 08:37 AM
I am secretary of the HFPA ( Hibernian Former Players Association) and we lost contact with Flyer after his move to NZ. We still have his Hall of Fame trophy and would love to get it to him. If anyone can find his details please let me know. Not sure if he is still working as a chiropodist.

He is surely retired?

hibsnz11
27-04-2022, 06:28 PM

Hey there
I am actually one of Arthur's Grandkids here in New Zealand. I'm really close with him. I'm sure he'd be happy to take part in an interview - he's such a humble guy!

Hiber-nation
27-04-2022, 06:36 PM
Hey there
I am actually one of Arthur's Grandkids here in New Zealand. I'm really close with him. I'm sure he'd be happy to take part in an interview - he's such a humble guy!

Fantastic news :thumbsup:

gbhibby
27-04-2022, 06:46 PM
Well done to all the foot soldiers making this happen.😁

I'll get ma coat.

Eaststand
27-04-2022, 07:05 PM
Hey there

hibsnz11 please pass on my best wishes to your grandad.
He was a fantastic player who always played with a big smile on his face, and was one of my favourite players when I was a nipper watching our great Turnbull's Tornadoes.

A great player in a great team 👍🇳🇬

GGTTH

leith lynx
27-04-2022, 07:23 PM
Hey there

Best wishes to Arthur, he was a schoolboy hero of mine, great player in that fantastic tornadoes team. A thing I always remember at Easter Road, at half time in games, Arthur always had a shower, would come out early before the other players and happily chat with the Hibs fans on the terracing, hair soaking wet!..should have had more caps for Scotland, a great servant for Hibs, but we won't mention his cup winning goal in a hibs jersey!

oneone73
27-04-2022, 07:48 PM
hibsnz11 please pass on my best wishes to your grandad.
He was a fantastic player who always played with a big smile on his face, and was one of my favourite players when I was a nipper watching our great Turnbull's Tornadoes.

A great player in a great team 👍🇳🇬

GGTTH

That goes for me too

bod
27-04-2022, 07:53 PM
My favourite player when I started following hibs

WeAreHibs
27-04-2022, 08:01 PM
Me too! First ever football hero and met him a few times after the match.

CentreLine
27-04-2022, 08:05 PM
My favourite player when I started following hibs

Such a great player. Was so pleased when he signed from Partick Thistle. What a great servant he proved to be. Wonderful player and who can forget that great strike from the left that emptied hahahahahearts from the cup at Tynecastle

Lago
27-04-2022, 08:05 PM
That goes for me too
And me, what a player.

Roxyhibee
27-04-2022, 08:33 PM
This would be great - the man is an adored Hibs legend. Top player and gentleman.

IberianHibernian
27-04-2022, 09:27 PM
Fantastic player for us . Surely one of our best ever signings - was excellent with us for many years in attack and defence ( including as an emergency goalie occasionally ) , scored some really important goals and I don`t remember him missing games for injury or suspension . I remember him scoring winning goal at Tynecastle in SC tie in 1971 ( my first match there ) and he`d been good the previous season too so he was great with Tornadoes and before .

BILLYHIBS
27-04-2022, 09:46 PM
Your Grandad was a great player son he played for Partick Thistle Hibernian and Scotland with great distinction

Here is an image of your Grandad as a young man ( hope it works )

https://i.ibb.co/1ZqQXfp/D4-B064-E0-D4-D9-4032-8916-1-E01-E95-EE35-D.jpg (https://ibb.co/gyT9WMX)

kaimendhibs
27-04-2022, 11:48 PM
That goes for me tooAnd me. Loved Arthur

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

heretoday
28-04-2022, 05:16 AM
Such a great player. Was so pleased when he signed from Partick Thistle. What a great servant he proved to be. Wonderful player and who can forget that great strike from the left that emptied hahahahahearts from the cup at Tynecastle

He outpaced the whole defence.
What a gentleman too. Broad smile.

Mick O'Rourke
28-04-2022, 06:12 AM
He played for the Hi-Bees! :singing:

He's known near and far ! :singing::singing:

Arthur "Flyer" Duncan.

Tornado :not worth

Lifted this wee tribute to Flyer from hibsnet archive.
Martin Boyle has likely watched it !
Memories for those of us who saw Arthur in his prime and something for our younger fans to savour.

https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?346834-Arthur-Duncan-Video

"when we get them down the slope !! :singing::singing:

Bostonhibby
28-04-2022, 07:16 AM
Could never tire of watching Nijinsky in full flight, don't think he knew what he was going to do half the time, without doubt the best Hibs winger I've ever seen personally.

Genuinely used to look forward to seeing Arthur play and have many great memories

He scored plenty good goals too.

Best wishes from here as well.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Hiber-nation
28-04-2022, 09:34 AM
https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?346834-Arthur-Duncan-Video

Thanks for sharing. Loved that 5th goal in the Dryburgh Cup final, skinning Danny McGrain.

Lago
28-04-2022, 11:00 AM
Thanks for sharing. Loved that 5th goal in the Dryburgh Cup final, skinning Danny McGrain.
Or the game against Liverpool, Arthur racing down the slope and crosses a perfect ball for Joe Harper to score. What a night. 👌

pollution
28-04-2022, 11:15 AM
He was my mother's chiropodist, she thought he was a gentleman.

Praise indeed, I can tell you !

SonOfDavidFrancey
28-04-2022, 12:12 PM
Hey there

That's amazing. I'm sure I speak for all the over 55s when I say you never did and still don't hear a bad word about Arthur Duncan. Never gave less than his all and provided us with so many happy memories. Please send our best wishes.

A Hi-Bee
28-04-2022, 12:22 PM
Arthur was a great player in a team of great players and beyond, I remember seeing him score 4 goals in a game (forget who against now) all from passes by Joe Baker (I think). He was the only one fast enough to cotton, on to what Joe was going to do, great times and many great goals.
Awe the best to the Flyer.

:flag::flag::flag::flag:

Moulin Yarns
28-04-2022, 12:40 PM
"Open the gates"

brog
28-04-2022, 12:59 PM
Great player, great guy and a real character. I remember a late season game, possibly against Arbroath. We were several goals up when Arthur ran straight through the defence. He only had the keeper to beat but he blazed the ball miles over. Arthur kept running into the crowd, lifted a pair of sunglasses off a young lad and played the next minute or so wearing the glasses. One of a kind.

Mick O'Rourke
28-04-2022, 02:39 PM
Great player, great guy and a real character. I remember a late season game, possibly against Arbroath. We were several goals up when Arthur ran straight through the defence. He only had the keeper to beat but he blazed the ball miles over. Arthur kept running into the crowd, lifted a pair of sunglasses off a young lad and played the next minute or so wearing the glasses. One of a kind.

Some spectacle that was ,Brian.
Although Arthur, had the running track wall no been there,sometimes could have run right out to Dunbars for a bottle o juice.
The man's feet had no brakes !!!

gbhibby
28-04-2022, 03:01 PM
There were times especially going down the slope that Mickey would play a wonderful pass into open space for Arthur to run onto but he would be flagged offside when clearly well onside such was his pace.

surreyhibbie
28-04-2022, 03:19 PM
That's amazing. I'm sure I speak for all the over 55s when I say you never did and still don't hear a bad word about Arthur Duncan. Never gave less than his all and provided us with so many happy memories. Please send our best wishes.

:top marks

A legend in a team of legends. Never heard a bad word against him, which is pretty rare!

Give him all our best wishes.:thumbsup:

dchibs
28-04-2022, 03:32 PM
:singing:Arthur
oh Arthur Duncan
oh Arthur Duncan on the wing

nijinsky, the horse not the ballet dancer

Was he not on TOTP with the Scotland squad, Ring a Ring a Ding Arthur Duncan on the Wing and its easy easy.

leith lynx
28-04-2022, 03:35 PM
Remember a Dryborough cup tie against Rangers at Easter Road when the offside line was drawn from the 18 yard box, Arthur just ran all game side to side along the 18 yard line, leading to a few kicks from the frustrated Hun defence!

leith lynx
28-04-2022, 03:37 PM
Was he not on TOTP with the Scotland squad, Ring a Ring a Ding Arthur Duncan on the Wing and its easy easy.

Think that was Willie Morgan? give me Arthur any day though!

BSEJVT
28-04-2022, 07:06 PM
Arthur was a great player for and servant to Hibs.

It’s testimony to the affection he was held in that scoring the o.g. that lost the cup was never held against him.

Watching Arthur leave defenders in his wake was one of the great joys of the Tornadoes.

He was a better player and finisher than many gave him credit for as all folk talked about was his pace.

He would have been worth tens of millions in this era

BILLYHIBS
28-04-2022, 07:07 PM
There were times especially going down the slope that Mickey would play a wonderful pass into open space for Arthur to run onto but he would be flagged offside when clearly well onside such was his pace.

Yip

Happened time and time again frustrating as…..!

BILLYHIBS
28-04-2022, 07:22 PM
Most League appearances for Hibernian Football Club 449

Most Scottish Cup appearances 51

Playing 626 in total scoring 114 times

Scored our first hat-trick in the Premier League on 29/11/1975 away to St Johnstone

Inducted into the Hibernian FC Hall of Fame 2010

IberianHibernian
28-04-2022, 09:17 PM
Probably my memory but was there not a match at home to St J where he scored 5 in a 7 v 1 win ? He continued to be very effective as an attacking full back , including some games at right back . Would probably have got far more recognition if he`d given press something to say about him but I don`t remember him getting involved in any controversy on or off the pitch .

HibbyDave
28-04-2022, 09:23 PM
Nijinsky.

Wonderful player.

loanheadhibby
28-04-2022, 10:13 PM
Arthur was a great player in a team of great players and beyond, I remember seeing him score 4 goals in a game (forget who against now) all from passes by Joe Baker (I think). He was the only one fast enough to cotton, on to what Joe was going to do, great times and many great goals.

Are you sure Arthur scored 4 goals in one game all from passes by Joe Baker?

BILLYHIBS
28-04-2022, 10:27 PM

23/10/1971 Scottish League Division One

Hibernian 6 v 0 Falkirk

Duncan 4
Hamilton
Auld

Jimmy O’Rourke replaced Joe Baker

brog
28-04-2022, 11:14 PM

Hibernian 6 v 0 Falkirk

Duncan 4
Hamilton
Auld

IIRC Arthur's old team Partick beat Celtc 4 1 in the LC Final that day!

BILLYHIBS
28-04-2022, 11:31 PM
IIRC Arthur's old team Partick beat Celtc 4 1 in the LC Final that day!
That is correct

Everyone thought that the guy operating the Half Time Score Board had been in the Windsor Buffet Bar prematch when the 0-4 scoreline came up and had spectators frantically reaching for their trannie ear pieces and double checking they had the correct letter of the alphabet on their programme

Ah! Simpler times

Edit:

A Celtic fan once asked Alex Rae if he had ever seen a video replay of the Jags’ famous 4-1 win ? He replied “ I watch it every Saturday night with a large scotch “

Crunchie
29-04-2022, 05:17 AM
Most League appearances for Hibernian Football Club 449

Most Scottish Cup appearances 51

Playing 626 in total scoring 114 times

Scored our first hat-trick in the Premier League on 29/11/1975 away to St Johnstone

Inducted into the Hibernian FC Hall of Fame 2010
A true icon, I still have his autograph in my first ever autograph book.

Being out on the wing he was always the closest player to the fans, I remember being in awe of the man when I went to my first games, what a sight he was when he got running with or after the ball.

One of the few players deserving of the Hibernian great tag.

Ray_
29-04-2022, 08:31 AM
I remember his scoring debut against Celtic in the 1-2 home defeat, where Eric Stevenson was played on the right wing. The Hibs support was in mourning with the loss of Peter Marinello, before the new year derby. The rest of that 1969/70 season was decent enough as we ended the season in third, but following the April 4-1 home win against St Johnstone, where Marinello's great mate, Peter Cormack, scored a brace, come the Tuesday, he had also moved south.

At the start of the 1970/71 season, the crestfallen support, after a dismal 0-3 start at Pittodrie, were soon thrilled, by the impact of a new star, and it wasn't the highly priced, Jim Blair, who had come in that summer to replace Cormack. After that initial game, where the whole team were woeful, Arthur Duncan Hibs career took off as he was now on fire. The summer break and a preseason, with his relatively new teammates, made a massive difference to his performances in green. Hibs came through a tough league cup section draw with a tremendous 4-0 win against Eddie Turnbull's emerging side, reversing the first fixture and more against the recent Scottish cup winning team.

Duncan was the inspiration and fans were optimistic ahead of their two header quarter final against Rangers, especially as we had a fantastic, Joe McBride inspired, 2-0 league win against Celtic. It all unravelled however, when on a forty up the sloop, saw Arthur being barged into the terracing wall. Arthur was taken off and the extent of his injury was hidden, as the home leg against Rangers was just days away and it was only just before the match that it was announced that Duncan would be out some time. We got humped 3-1 in both legs, ironically, with a young winger called Graham Fyffe doing a lot of the damage for Rangers.

Hibs performances that season fizzled out, with the loss of Duncan, we had the famous games against Liverpool, including the episode with Willie Mac & Joe McBride, the white boots, Joe Baker's return against Aberdeen and Duncan, back again, scored a wonder winner, in the Scottish cup tie at Tynie, that inspired Hibs run to the replayed, unlucky, replay loss against Rangers in the semi.

The following season started with a bang, with Alex Cropley on the left wing, Arthur on the right and Eddie Turnbull at the helm, the rest, as they say, is history, as the TT's were quickly assembled.

A Hi-Bee
29-04-2022, 08:39 AM
Are you sure Arthur scored 4 goals in one game all from passes by Joe Baker?

An there was I questioning my old memory, yes I am sure.
:greengrin

eastterrace
29-04-2022, 09:08 AM
That is correct

Everyone thought that the guy operating the Half Time Score Board had been in the Windsor Buffet Bar prematch when the 0-4 scoreline came up and had spectators frantically reaching for their trannie ear pieces and double checking they had the correct letter of the alphabet on their programme

Ah! Simpler times

Edit:

A Celtic fan once asked Alex Rae if he had ever seen a video replay of the Jags’ famous 4-1 win ? He replied “ I watch it every Saturday night with a large scotch “yeh was at Easter road that day and when the zero came up then the four we all thought na got to be a mistake. Funny enough I can’t remember Arthur duncan scoring 4 in this game against Falkirk. Memory getting cloudy now.

ClermistonGreen
29-04-2022, 09:27 AM
Beautiful man , absolute gentleman .
Cheers for the memories guys , some great names .
Great days , tough formative years but great to see the Hibees home and away , every game !
Must admit can’t remember Nijinsky scoring the 4 but still traumatised by the OG in the ‘79 final ,
was my 21st birthday :agree:
GGTTH

Mick O'Rourke
29-04-2022, 09:38 AM
I remember his scoring debut against Celtic in the 1-2 home defeat, where Eric Stevenson was played on the right wing. The Hibs support was in mourning with the loss of Peter Marinello, before the new year derby. The rest of that 1969/70 season was decent enough as we ended the season in third, but following the April 4-1 home win against St Johnstone, where Marinello's great mate, Peter Cormack, scored a brace, come the Tuesday, he had also moved south.

At the start of the 1970/71 season, the crestfallen support, after a dismal 0-3 start at Pittodrie, were soon thrilled, by the impact of a new star, and it wasn't the highly priced, Jim Blair, who had come in that summer to replace Cormack. After that initial game, where the whole team were woeful, Arthur Duncan Hibs career took off as he was now on fire. The summer break and a preseason, with his relatively new teammates, made a massive difference to his performances in green. Hibs came through a tough league cup section draw with a tremendous 4-0 win against Eddie Turnbull's emerging side, reversing the first fixture and more against the recent Scottish cup winning team.

Duncan was the inspiration and fans were optimistic ahead of their two header quarter final against Rangers, especially as we had a fantastic, Joe McBride inspired, 2-0 league win against Celtic. It all unravelled however, when on a forty up the sloop, saw Arthur being barged into the terracing wall. Arthur was taken off and the extent of his injury was hidden, as the home leg against Rangers was just days away and it was only just before the match that it was announced that Duncan would be out some time. We got humped 3-1 in both legs, ironically, with a young winger called Graham Fyffe doing a lot of the damage for Rangers.

Hibs performances that season fizzled out, with the loss of Duncan, we had the famous games against Liverpool, including the episode with Willie Mac & Joe McBride, the white boots, Joe Baker's return against Aberdeen and Duncan, back again, scored a wonder winner, in the Scottish cup tie at Tynie, that inspired Hibs run to the replayed, unlucky, replay loss against Rangers in the semi.

The following season started with a bang, with Alex Cropley on the left wing, Arthur on the right and Eddie Turnbull at the helm, the rest, as they say, is history, as the TT's were quickly assembled.

Well written, Ray
If i may go back a wee bit.
Back to just before Willie McFarlane and Eddie Turnbull.
Mid to late sixties, we had some wonderful talent.
Sadly the high heid yins knew that too,and sold the best of them.
No ambition was the feeling of the then manager Bob Shankly.who resigned in 1969 for that very reason.
Bob i believe could have taken us to more glory than Eddie did.
My long held opinion And i loved Eddie, of course !

Bob orchestrated one ,if not the finest European victory at the Holy Ground.

Napoli !
4-1 down in Naples to win 5-0 at home
And another Duncan started that rout.. Bobby !

BILLYHIBS
29-04-2022, 09:41 AM
I

superfurryhibby
29-04-2022, 10:58 AM
I hope Arthur's grandson shows him this thread and the great man knows how highly regarded he remains with Hibs fans, nearly 40 years after he played the last of his many games.

Looking back, it seems pretty miraculous that we held on to such a talent. At the peak of his career he could have played at the highest level down south and made a fortune.

I suppose my strongest memories are of Arthur playing left back in the final years of his time at HIbs. Another of Turnbull's idiosyncratic strategies. The swapping of Schaedler for Booby Hutchison broke up that great left sided partnership and Arthur's game no doubt suffered as a result (did Bobby Smith not get punted into the LB position before he was sold to Leicester?).

I would love to hear Arthur speaking about his career, maybe one for the podcast guys?

heretoday
29-04-2022, 11:15 AM
More league appearances for Hibs than anyone. Wow!
We had a first flat in Meadowbank in the eighties and I watched him playing for them. He was a full back mostly. I think he played against Hibs in a cup game.

Keith_M
29-04-2022, 11:20 AM
I missed the glory days of the early 70s but Arthur was still around when I started attending games regularly in 1979.

We were on a free fall at the time but Arthur was still class.

DaveF
29-04-2022, 11:21 AM
We had a first flat in Meadowbank in the eighties and I watched him playing for them. He was a full back mostly. I think he played against Hibs in a cup game.

3-2 to meadowbank I think? Unless that was another game.

weecounty hibby
29-04-2022, 11:33 AM
Sadly I don't remember him in the early 70s, but he was a fabulous servant to Hibs. O have a black and white picture of me and Arthur taken at an Alloa Hibs supporters function from about 1981. Legend, no doubt about it

SonOfDavidFrancey
29-04-2022, 12:52 PM
That is correct

Ah! Simpler times

Edit:

A Celtic fan once asked Alex Rae if he had ever seen a video replay of the Jags’ famous 4-1 win ? He replied “ I watch it every Saturday night with a large scotch “

I remember that day vividly (I was about 10) and we all assumed that he'd just got the 0 and the 4 the wrong way round. Cue amazed laughter and disbelief.

Bostonhibby
29-04-2022, 01:41 PM
We had a first flat in Meadowbank in the eighties and I watched him playing for them. He was a full back mostly. I think he played against Hibs in a cup game.Sure you're right, I lived next to the stadium, Cambusnethan Street and went to that very game I think. Got a programme somewhere

One Day
29-04-2022, 05:04 PM

A legend in a team of legends. Never heard a bad word against him, which is pretty rare!

Give him all our best wishes.:thumbsup:

Will always be held in the highest esteem

madsen5
29-04-2022, 05:50 PM
Sure you're right, I lived next to the stadium, Cambusnethan Street and went to that very game I think. Got a programme somewhere

I used to see Arthur a lot when he was at meadowbank
Strangely enough I stayed in Cambusnethan St as well.

BILLYHIBS
29-04-2022, 06:30 PM
The last time we played Meadowbank Thistle was in a League Cup Third Round tie at Easter Road on 29th August 1984 in which we lost 1-2 AET

Ralph Callachan scoring our goal in a below par performance

Every chance Arthur played against us for Thistle that night

Hearts also played at Tiny that night defeating Ayr United 1-0

DaveF
29-04-2022, 06:31 PM
The last time we played Meadowbank Thistle was in a League Cup Third Round tie at Easter Road on 29th August 1984 in which we lost 1-2 AET

Hearts also played at Tiny that night defeating Ayr United 1-0

Ah, that's the game I'm thinking of. 1-2 rather than 2-3.

Bostonhibby
29-04-2022, 06:38 PM
I used to see Arthur a lot when he was at meadowbank
Strangely enough I stayed in Cambusnethan St as well.I was 22 1f3. Could see into the hoppy from my windae[emoji6]

Happy days.

IberianHibernian
29-04-2022, 06:40 PM

Hearts also played at Tiny that night defeating Ayr United 1-0I remember the 1 v 2 game unfortunately . Terrible result though it may have been in Meadowbank`s best ever season . Think there was a year they finished 3rd in Championship . Think there was also an East of Scotland Shield defeat on penalties v MT before EOSS became an Under 18 tournament .

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-04-2022, 06:56 PM
I remember watching the cup game at Tynecastle out my uncles window, nae idea about dates or lineups, cannae be arsed checking!

BILLYHIBS
29-04-2022, 06:58 PM
I remember the 1 v 2 game unfortunately . Terrible result though it may have been in Meadowbank`s best ever season . Think there was a year they finished 3rd in Championship . Think there was also an East of Scotland Shield defeat on penalties v MT before EOSS became an Under 18 tournament .
:agree:

Meadowbank lost out to Old Co in the Semi Final

I think Meadowbank became Livingston in 1995

Pretty sure Arthur was Physio

BILLYHIBS
29-04-2022, 07:06 PM
I remember watching the cup game at Tynecastle out my uncles window, nae idea about dates or lineups, cannae be arsed checking!
26/1/1980 Scottish Cup Hibernian 1 v 0 Meadowbank

Scorer Ralph Callachan

Probably the only time George Best played at the PBS

madsen5
29-04-2022, 07:34 PM
:agree:

Meadowbank lost out to Old Co in the Semi Final

I think Meadowbank became Livingston in 1995

Pretty sure Arthur was Physio
Correct he was towards the end of his time with them xx

madsen5
29-04-2022, 07:36 PM
I was 22 1f3. Could see into the hoppy from my windae[emoji6]

Happy days.

So could I, from no 7 .

madsen5
29-04-2022, 07:39 PM
So could I, from no 7 .

There's no nuber22 in Cambusnethan St you
Must have been in marionville Road.
20 was the highest no. In Cambusnethan St.

loanheadhibby
29-04-2022, 08:09 PM

Hibernian 6 v 0 Falkirk

Duncan 4
Hamilton
Auld

Apologies and thanks for the info.

BILLYHIBS
29-04-2022, 08:27 PM
Apologies and thanks for the info.

👍

Ray_
29-04-2022, 08:52 PM
Well written, Ray
If i may go back a wee bit.
Back to just before Willie McFarlane and Eddie Turnbull.
Mid to late sixties, we had some wonderful talent.
Sadly the high heid yins knew that too,and sold the best of them.
No ambition was the feeling of the then manager Bob Shankly.who resigned in 1969 for that very reason.
Bob i believe could have taken us to more glory than Eddie did.
My long held opinion And i loved Eddie, of course !

Bob orchestrated one ,if not the finest European victory at the Holy Ground.

Napoli !
4-1 down in Naples to win 5-0 at home
And another Duncan started that rout.. Bobby !

Hibs were very poor in Bob Shankly's final full season, although our European performances were still good, unluckily losing on aways goals [the first season that rule was introduced] to Hamburg, after we had eliminated Olympia & Lokomotive Leipzig. Shankly had been gutted about losing Colin Stein [Oct 1968], Joe McBride was a fantastic signing and out of the 88k profit he brought in Jim Black, but failed to land his partner at Airdrie, Sam Goodwin. We failed to reach Europe by the end of that 1968/69, which was a rarity them days, this, and some dire league performances, brought the terracing unrest and Shanks and Chairman, Harrower, became the victims of the boo boys. Hibs were hammered in the delayed league cup final and Shanks retired, but was persuaded to come back. The unrest hit the dressing room and Peter Cormack was itching to move and Pat Stanton also started to look south. What also didn't help was a solitary Colin Stein goal put us out the Scottish cup at the first hurdle.

The situation grew worse into the next season, as Aberdeen qualified from our league cup section group, after we suffered defeats at Clyde and Dunfermline and then, in our first league game, Ayr United beat us 3-0 and that was that. Tom McNiven took over and we immediately started winning, including a 2-1 win at Parkhead, with Pat Stanton & Johnny Hamilton getting our goals. Willie Mac came in and we had further wins at Tynie and the October win at Ibrox [Marinello x2 & McBride] put us top and this was our seventh win on the spin.

In typical Hibs fashion, we then drew at Killie and lost at St Johnstone, before five wins and a draw in the next six games. The season continued well, Peter Cormack and Pat Stanton withdrew their transfer requests, then at the end of the year, we imploded again, Marinello was sold, Cormack was livid and the rest of the season saw us lose just as many games as we won and there was also a number of draws, but we had enough in reserve to end the season in third position. Arthur Duncan's impact followed on from here, the following season.

Bostonhibby
29-04-2022, 11:02 PM
20 was the highest no. In Cambusnethan St.You're right, we brought our estate agents advert south with us, we were 20, 2F3.

Our living room, kitchen, Bog and main bedroom all faced into marionville road.

Bedroom window had panoramic views of the chippy as well.

Forza Fred
29-04-2022, 11:42 PM
20 was the highest no. In Cambusnethan St.

This thread seems full of Dalgety Rovers punters.😂

On Arthur, Last I heard he was living just outside Auckland at his son’s property.

He was a wonderful club servant and seemed to genuinely love playing.

scm70nyd1973
30-04-2022, 07:38 AM
This thread seems full of Dalgety Rovers punters.😂

On Arthur, Last I heard he was living just outside Auckland at his son’s property.

He was a wonderful club servant and seemed to genuinely love playing.

Yeah - Torbay, the suburb just next to where I lived - I was desperately hoping I’d bump into him at some point but never did☹️My “HIBEE5” rego was the one thing I’d hoped would do it (hasten to add I’m not a stalker😂).

madsen5
30-04-2022, 08:55 AM
You're right, we brought our estate agents advert south with us, we were 20, 2F3.

That explains it then , long time ago if the chippy was still there.GGTTH.:flag:

Bostonhibby
30-04-2022, 09:44 AM
That explains it then , long time ago if the chippy was still there.GGTTH.:flag:82 - 86 I reckon.

alhibby
30-04-2022, 11:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J80OWhK5gL0&list=LL&index=76&ab_channel=johnsparky2

Some great video clips of Arthur, loved him back in the day

hibsnz11
22-03-2023, 12:02 AM

Hello there! Very late to this post, but I am Arthur's Granddaughter and would be keen to be intouch.

Forza Fred
22-03-2023, 07:37 AM
Hello there! Very late to this post, but I am Arthur's Granddaughter and would be keen to be intouch.

Does Arthur ever cross the ditch to where I am?

scm70nyd1973
22-03-2023, 05:16 PM

Oh how I would loved to have shared a pint with Sir Arthur at the Deep Creek in Browns Bay before I sadly departed the wonderful shores of NZ ☹️Hope your grandfather is doing well and enjoying the wonders of NZ and life in Torbay 🙏

heretoday
22-03-2023, 09:08 PM
Arthur Duncan is one of the gods of Easter Road.

Roxyhibee
22-03-2023, 09:16 PM
Absolutely Hibernian legend and one of the nicest and likeable footballers of all time.

Kato
22-03-2023, 09:19 PM
https://i.ibb.co/yhtmhNv/20230322-211842.jpg

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Mick O'Rourke
22-03-2023, 09:32 PM

Hello there and hi to your granddad :greengrin
Arthur was known as Nijinsky to many fans.
Named afer a famous very fast racehorse,not the ballet dancer !!
His nickname among the players was Flyer.
His name is immortalised in the famous song written about the famous 0-7 victory on Jan 1st 1973 v Hearts.
I copied it from an older thread on here.

You could memorise it and sing it to Arthur :greengrin

To the tune of "Bye Bye Blackbird "

:singing:Jim O'Rourke broke no sweat when he put the ball in the jamtarts net, bye bye jamtarts
Alan Gordon running through, hammered home number two, bye bye jamtarts
Bobby Seith thought that he was dreaming, when Arthur Duncan hammered number three in
The Hibees choir sang for more, Alex Cropley made it four, jamtarts bye bye

Arthur Duncan took a dive, headed home number five, bye bye jamtarts
Paddy Stanton showed his tricks, as Jim O'Rourke made it six, bye bye jamtarts
The Hibs support thought they were in heaven, when Alan Gordon headed number seven,
The Hibs support had their fill, the final score was seven nil, jamtarts bye bye:singing:

GGTTH

cabbageandribs1875
22-03-2023, 10:06 PM
His name is immortalised in the famous song written about the famous 0-7 victory on Jan 1st 1973 v Hearts.

:singing:Jim O'Rourke broke no sweat when he put the ball in the jamtarts net, bye bye jamtarts
Bobby Seith thought that he was dreaming, when Arthur Duncan hammered number three in

The Hibs support thought they were in heaven, when Alan Gordon headed number seven,
The Hibs support had their fill, the final score was seven nil, jamtarts bye bye:singing:

GGTTH

:hibees

xyz23jc
22-03-2023, 10:11 PM

GGTTH

Never knew that! Brilliant, gonna try and remember it for all the jambos at work tomorrow... well, at least hum the tune anyhooj... Lol! Cheers amigo! :greengrin:thumbsup::flag:

hibees 7062
22-03-2023, 10:11 PM

GGTTH
Superb

blackpoolhibs
23-03-2023, 07:56 AM
Before the last verse, we used to sing, Bobby Seith shut the gates before we made it number eight.

tamig
23-03-2023, 08:01 AM
Before the last verse, we used to sing, Bobby Seith shut the gates before we made it number eight.

Kenny Garland shut the gate before the Hibees made it eight.

One Day
23-03-2023, 08:19 AM
Arthur was a hero of mine, (one of a few in green at that time), growing up. A legend at Easter Road, He played the game like it should be played, with a smile on his face.

I remember a game at Livingston, when Arthur was physio there, (possibly not long before he moved to N.Z.), Arthur was on the pitch helping with the Livingston warm up. Some one in the very large Hibs support spotted him and started a rendition of "There's only one Arthur Duncan" and " Arthur Duncan on the Wing" to which the entire Hibs support joined in. Arthur was suitably embarrassed and the youngsters in the Livingston team looked on in amazement. He will always be a Hibernian legend.

Sincerely hope he is well and enjoying life over in New Zealand. You can keep us all updated on how hes doing.

Mick O'Rourke
23-03-2023, 08:28 AM

Indeed there was a few variations/verses of the song "Bye bye Jamtarts!
Kenny, of course was the Hearts goalie that day.

Jim Cruickshank who was Hearts number no 1 goalie at the time ran Ma Scott's pub in Rose Street years later.
A pub i use to frequent. Nice guy Jim, and an outstanding keeper.
Hearts were a good side at the time.
They just on that day could not cope with a side that at the time were described as one of the finest in the UK.

The Bobby Seith mentioned in the song was the Hearts manager at the time .
Re-arranging the letters of his surname could describe Hearts performance that memorable day.:greengrin

DIXIHIBS
23-03-2023, 08:42 AM

Jim Cruickshank who was Hearts number no 1 goalie at the time ran Ma Scott's pub in Rose Street years later.
They just on that day could not cope with a side that at the time were described as one of the finest in the UK.

Re-arranging the letters of his surname could describe Hearts performance that memorable day.:greengrin

Its a great song. Still sung in the hibs club on occasion. Fans learned many songs on the supporters buses in 70s 80s but so few buses these days songs are not get passed to the younger generation.

Mick O'Rourke
23-03-2023, 08:57 AM
Its a great song. Still sung in the hibs club on occasion. Fans learned many songs on the supporters buses in 70s 80s but so few buses these days songs are not get passed to the younger generation.

A lot of the chants/songs we hear on the terraces these days are mostly the same tunes,but lyric differences of course.
Would be great if Block 7 picked up on this particular one,as they have the Turnbull's Tornadoes song .
The not so noisy neighbours could not dare copy it as they have with other Block 7 chants!

The song Bye Bye Blackbird was written and first sung about 100 yrs ago.
Maybe our DJ/stadium announcer could find a more recent rendition and play it at the next Derby:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
23-03-2023, 09:15 AM
We used to sing Bobby Seith on our bus. :greengrin

Crab apple
23-03-2023, 09:42 AM
https://i.ibb.co/yhtmhNv/20230322-211842.jpg

That strip is a thing of beauty.

Lago
23-03-2023, 11:51 AM
It was, iconic as was the player wearing it, a legend.

DIXIHIBS
23-03-2023, 01:35 PM

Any idea what stadium that is?

ancient hibee
23-03-2023, 02:36 PM

Jim Cruickshank at Ma Scott's and Ronnie Simpson's sports shop nearby. Rose Street for goalies.

Norrieg
23-03-2023, 05:22 PM
I was at school with Arthur in the sixties. (Falkirk high School). Hated playing against him whether it was Football or Basketball cos I couldn't get near him as he was exceptionally fast. He was also a very nice unassuming person and i met him a couple of times when he was a chiropodist. A friendlier person you could not meet.

CB Hibs 68
23-03-2023, 08:55 PM

Couldn’t agree more.Arthur joined Hibs just as I started going to E R .One of my favourite players .That strip is just epic.

ancient hibee
23-03-2023, 10:26 PM
What I liked most about Arthur was he just got on with the game. No falling over if someone looked at him.Very fit and brave.

leith lynx
23-03-2023, 10:44 PM

Shawfield? old Clyde ground.

BILLYHIBS
23-03-2023, 10:48 PM
Central Park Cowdenbeath

12/9/1970 4-1 win Cropley 2 McBride and Hamilton

Who can forget Arthur in full flow going down the slope ‘ Open the gates!’

Just used to beat his man by pure pace

So fast everyone thought he must be offside

Legend

:not worth

Hiber-nation
23-03-2023, 10:54 PM

I think it's Central Park Cowdenbeath. Can't think of any other with that box thing in the stand. Cowden were in the old first division in 70-71.

Edit - Ah I see Billy has beaten me to it!!

BILLYHIBS
23-03-2023, 10:59 PM
I think it's Central Park Cowdenbeath. Can't think of any other with that box thing in the stand. Cowden were in the old first division in 70-71.

Edit - Ah I see Billy has beaten me to it!!

If you’re not fast you’re last :greengrin

Took me hours to find an old Scottish Football Ground with that stupid wee house on top easy to trace the game after that

Kato
24-03-2023, 12:29 AM
https://i.ibb.co/1dnFNPK/Screenshot-20230324-000550-Art-Flow.jpg (https://ibb.co/qWnT8c9)

I actually remember these from the old bubble gum cards. Same photo different clubs. It's like we signed Arthur when he was 8 years old.

JimBHibees
24-03-2023, 07:15 AM
https://i.ibb.co/1dnFNPK/Screenshot-20230324-000550-Art-Flow.jpg (https://ibb.co/qWnT8c9)

I actually remember these from the old bubble gum cards. Same photo different clubs. It's like we signed Arthur when he was 8 years old.

Brilliant yes looks very young there

heretoday
24-03-2023, 07:33 AM
You're right, we brought our estate agents advert south with us, we were 20, 2F3.

Our first flat was 1 Dalgety Ave, directly above the Hop Step & Jump. The windows looked down onto Marionville Rd.
There was a newsagent with a nice lady called Bunty and a chip shop run by a wee couple on the corner. The lady had a blonde beehive hairdo. Over in Cambusnethan St was a shop selling dinky toys and the like.

Bostonhibby
24-03-2023, 08:09 AM
Our first flat was 1 Dalgety Ave, directly above the Hop Step & Jump. The windows looked down onto Marionville Rd.
There was a newsagent with a nice lady called Bunty and a chip shop run by a wee couple on the corner. The lady had a blonde beehive hairdo. Over in Cambusnethan St was a shop selling dinky toys and the like.Yeah, remember most of that, some years after we left my cousin lived 2 flats above the chippy as well.

Happy days.

maudette 11
27-03-2023, 01:51 PM
Hey there<br>
I am actually one of Arthur's Grandkids here in New Zealand. I'm really close with him. I'm sure he'd be happy to take part in an interview - he's such a humble guy!<br>
<br><br>ARTHUR is still MY HERO,&nbsp;<br><br>I am just one off his fans, always cheery, asking for his autograph and get a picture taken with him. I was young when i asked him for his autograph, for years haha.... Please hello from me. And if you could reply I would be delighted,<br><br>Thanks for your time hibsnz11<br>Maude's Maudettes

maudette 11
27-03-2023, 08:33 PM
Hey there

I EVEN MET YOUR GT GRANDAD TOO,A FEW TIMES AT GAMES, ANOTHER NICE BLOKE.
Cheers Margaret

maudette 11
27-03-2023, 08:37 PM
Ahhhh MY Hibs hero still after 55years.....

maudette 11
28-03-2023, 09:19 PM

IF I COULD I WOULD DEFINITELY HAND THE TROPHY OVER TO MY HERO, I WAS ALSO DISSAPPOINTED HE WASN'T THERE TO COLLECT IT, WOULD HAVE REALLY MADE MY NIGHT.

Maudette Mags 11

Jack Hackett
28-03-2023, 09:26 PM
Ahhhh MY Hibs hero still after 55years.....

Absolutely vintage... but it still feels like a few years ago :wink:

One Day
29-03-2023, 06:23 AM

I hope someone on here can put you in contact with Arthur and that you're able to get his trophy to him.

maudette 11
22-05-2023, 09:23 PM
Hey there

HI, DID YOU CONTACT YOUR GRANDAD? JUST CURIOUS
CHEERS

Maudette11 xx