View Full Version : Malonga Leaving?

Pages : 1 [2]

eastmainsmsh
26-01-2016, 07:52 AM
No point as I think Jamie insall is near looks a player

Hamish
26-01-2016, 08:03 AM
Chelsea and Inter. :agree:

Although both worried they will pipped by a better side.

Aye very good.......

To my mind he could play in the Championship down south, perhaps a club pushing for a play off spot

B.H.F.C
26-01-2016, 08:05 AM
Think this could end up being a big mistake, we look a lot more dangerous with him playing.

Although Saturday was the best we have looked going forward for weeks, possibly even months, and Dom didn't get off the bench.

Generally speaking I've always thought we are a better team with him in it, but with the January business I'm not so sure now.

Coults1875
26-01-2016, 08:06 AM
Really gutted with this one! Although with Stokes and Dagnall there now i think we still have quality up front. We need to get Jason signed on a new deal asap though to stop any tempting offers coming in during this window.

J-C
26-01-2016, 08:10 AM
Always disappointed to see Hibs lose a decent player,but honestly can't describe my feeling as gutted. Players come and go and the club keeps on moving.Pretty sure an outsider reading this thread with no knowledge of Dom would think we were losing one of the best players we've ever had,not in my opinion. Best wishes to Dom, and thanks for your efforts.

:agree: "devastated" and the like are a bit OTT as far as I'm concerned.

Good luck to him.

I must be in the minority not fussed on this one we have now more than enough strikers all good as far as I can see

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

:agree: Decent players but very inconsistent, played well when he could be ersed, now shows he's not up for a fight when he doesn't even want to fight for his place in the team. Players come and go, it's football, we'll get someone else in to do his job.

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-01-2016, 08:20 AM
This. No doubting his talent and natural ability however his flashes of great play were outnumbered by the games which seem to just pass him by. We need a 2nd striker who can help lift the burden of Cummings, a 6 goal return in this league, at this stage of the season, is not good enough. I do wish him all the best though!

Pretty much my thoughts too.

jacomo
26-01-2016, 08:22 AM
:agree: Decent players but very inconsistent, played well when he could be ersed, now shows he's not up for a fight when he doesn't even want to fight for his place in the team. Players come and go, it's football, we'll get someone else in to do his job.

Yeah but supporters identify with certain players.

For me, Dom played a big part in the return of the feel good factor. For once, a surprise, unknown signing who wasn't a clogger but a classy footballer, who started making an impact immediately. It had been a while since we had one of those.

Good luck to him, we will move on, but I'm not the only Hibs supporter who won't see him as just another employee who represented our club for a while.

Northern Hibby
26-01-2016, 08:40 AM
The "I don't care about the rangers" quote, along with some if his goals, will ensue he goes in the cult hero bracket, I think, as said in other posts, he was part of the Stubbs new Hibs and we liked it!!

J-C
26-01-2016, 08:45 AM

For me, Dom played a big part in the return of the feel good factor. For once, a surprise, unknown signing who wasn't a clogger but a classy footballer, who started making an impact immediately. It had been a while since we had one of those.

Good luck to him, we will move on, but I'm not the only Hibs supporter who won't see him as just another employee who represented our club for a while.

I get all that, on his game a joy to watch but too many off games where he was a passenger, 6 goal return so far this season is nothing short of abysmal in this league ( only 4 in the league ), hence why Stubbs has looked to Stokes to help out, even Keatings with 6 also is bad. Having a stat of just under 1 goal every 4 games says it all.

Golden Bear
26-01-2016, 08:48 AM
I must be in the minority not fussed on this one we have now more than enough strikers all good as far as I can see

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Not sure if you are in the minority.

I think the majority have chosen to remain silent in case they get labelled as a racist or that they simply "don't know football."

Turkish Green
26-01-2016, 08:57 AM

Personally, I never saw him as a striker. He does not have the goal scoring instinct like Cummings and Stokes. Maybe a European type No 10. Anyway, he'll find a club. Good luck to him.

adhibs
26-01-2016, 09:01 AM
His song needs to get a final airing on saturday. Preferably wyrn weve got yhe game wrapped up.

woodythehibee
26-01-2016, 09:10 AM
Absolutely gutted to see Dom go. On his day, he is a joy to watch. Technically one of our best players.
My nephew was devastated this morning.

Everyone loves an entertainer and Dom certainly got the crowd going with his personality and antics. Similar to the way Sparky could have the crowd in the palm of his hand. These kind of guys are a rarity in football.

Golden Bear
26-01-2016, 09:17 AM
His song needs to get a final airing on saturday. Preferably wyrn weve got yhe game wrapped up.

Is that Welsh?

:greengrin

hibsbollah
26-01-2016, 09:21 AM

Exactly. He'll be missed because of the way he played as much as the impact and the goals (which were good too). I want to watch style. I had a perfect view of that cup goal against Aberdeen and it was the kind of moment that gets me and my 9 year old boy attending every week. Judging by this thread im in the majority.

Billy Whizz
26-01-2016, 09:21 AM

Not sure what sort of message this would send out to our management

hibsbollah
26-01-2016, 09:28 AM

I think the majority have chosen to remain silent in case they get labelled as a racist or that they simply "don't know football."

That's a stupid comment. A discussion took place about how black players tend to get stereotyped as 'lazy but gifted' more than white players. This is a perfectly reasonable observation. No individual got labelled as racist from what I saw.

Andy74
26-01-2016, 09:40 AM
Not sure what sort of message this would send out to our management

Away. He is a well liked player and showing some appreciation when we didn't get a chance says nothing about the management.

There are a few teams who still sing about favourite ex players years later.

Big_Franck
26-01-2016, 09:47 AM
I get all that, on his game a joy to watch but too many off games where he was a passenger, 6 goal return so far this season is nothing short of abysmal in this league ( only 4 in the league ), hence why Stubbs has looked to Stokes to help out, even Keatings with 6 also is bad. Having a stat of just under 1 goal every 4 games says it all.

He was a joy to watch on his game, but it was nowhere near often enough. As you say 4 league goals in the scottish champioship at this stage of the season is abysmal so i'm not surprised he's been moved on. He has scored 6 goals in 23 appearances in all competitions this season. Keatings, who would appear to be 3rd or 4th choice, has 7 in 18 appearances.

Billy Whizz
26-01-2016, 09:48 AM
Away. He is a well liked player and showing some appreciation when we didn't get a chance says nothing about the management.

There are a few teams who still sing about favourite ex players years later.

Come on Andy, we know you love Dom, and I've always appreciated his talent, but I'll be singing going to Hampden, lifting the cup, and bring on the Jambos at the end on Saturday!

jacomo
26-01-2016, 09:58 AM

Dry your eyes mate.

Some utter rubbish spouted about the player on here in recent weeks, no harm in challenging that.

nellio
26-01-2016, 10:00 AM
Will remember his goal against the Dons with great fondness, a player with real quality.

Dr Jimmy
26-01-2016, 10:09 AM
I will defo miss him and I think the team will as well.
He was the only forward who could consistently link the midfield with the forwards and he could hold the ball up well. Not sure we have another option for that now.

All the best wherever you head to Dom!!

NAE NOOKIE
26-01-2016, 10:20 AM
Dom had / has a great first touch and an ability to bang a goal in from distance .. something we don't do often enough, I wish him all the very best wherever he ends up, he's far from the worst player I've seen in a Hibs shirt.

Having said that I cant really join in with all the hand wringing ..... we have lost a decent player, but for me I see the future as a Hibs team who move the ball quickly with loads of movement up front, that's not a philosophy that is going to miss a player like Malonga.

BSEJVT
26-01-2016, 10:28 AM

What a sad and bitter post that speaks volumes about you as a person.

If you cant see that there is a footballer in Malonga, albeit a far from perfect one, there is absolutely no hope for you.

I suppose you will be harking back to the days of such as James Collins as your identikit footballer? No skill but lots of effort

If that is the yardstick by which we are going to judge our heroes I would give up watching football now.

I will take the Malonga's, Ally Mcleod's and Alex Edwards of the world 7 days a week, with all their foibles and frailties, and the results that would no doubt accompany them rather than watching the utter dross that we have had to watch for the last 7 or 8 years, even if they were strolling the league.

The 2 bright spots of the post butcher revolution were undoubtedly Scott Allan & Malonga, both flawed characters but guys who had the ability we have been sorely missing for so long.

I would rather watch guys like that turn it on 1 game in 5 or whatever than watch a Bertie Auld type team full of honest endeavour.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
26-01-2016, 10:28 AM

This.

Centre Hawf
26-01-2016, 10:35 AM

If you cant see that there is a footballer in Malonga, albeit a far from perfect one, there is absolutely no hope for you.

I suppose you will be harking back to the days of such as James Collins as your identikit footballer? No skill but lots of effort

If that is the yardstick by which we are going to judge our heroes I would give up watching football now.

I will take the Malonga's, Ally Mcleod's and Alex Edwards of the world 7 days a week, with all their foibles and frailties, and the results that would no doubt accompany them rather than watching the utter dross that we have had to watch for the last 7 or 8 years, even if they were strolling the league.

The 2 bright spots of the post butcher revolution were undoubtedly Scott Allan & Malonga, both flawed characters but guys who had the ability we have been sorely missing for so long.

I would rather watch guys like that turn it on 1 game in 5 or whatever than watch a Bertie Auld type team full of honest endeavour.

This. If we wanted to watch someone runaround like a headless chicken for 90 minute we would never have released John Rankin.

Onion
26-01-2016, 10:37 AM
Sorry to see him go. Frustrating player at times, but could do things no one else could and his scoring record was top notch.

Big_Franck
26-01-2016, 10:39 AM

That's OTT. No need for comments like that.

FWIW I can see where the guy is coming from. Some of the comments on the Malonga thread last week were ridiculous. Move on a week and the manager has decided to let this superstar leave.

Don't see why you compare Malonga to Collins either as that isn't the choice is it? It's Malonga or Cummings or Stokes. I'd go with a pairing of Cummings and Stokes every day of the week and if Dom wasn't happy with that and wanted to leave then so be it.

khib70
26-01-2016, 10:42 AM

I will take the Malonga's, Ally Mcleod's and Alex Edwards of the world 7 days a week, with all their foibles and frailties, and the results that would no doubt accompany them rather than watching the utter dross that we have had to watch for the last 7 or 8 years, even if they were strolling the league

:clapper:This, 150%. I've never understood the love some Hibs fans have for skill-free running machines. I'd rather have Malonga, and indeed the other guys you mention than a hundred of James Collins, Martin Scott, Gary Deegan etc. Good to see this negative and frankly Yammish idea of what makes a good footballer getting short shrift on here.

I could maybe slightly understand the criticism if there was a missing end product, but we're talking about a guy who scored 22 times in 41 starts. How many of those have we been lucky enough to have in the ranks?

Brightside
26-01-2016, 10:49 AM
:clapper:This, 150%. I've never understood the love some Hibs fans have for skill-free running machines. I'd rather have Malonga, and indeed the other guys you mention than a hundred of James Collins, Martin Scott, Gary Deegan etc. Good to see this negative and frankly Yammish idea of what makes a good footballer getting short shrift on here.

I could maybe slightly understand the criticism if there was a missing end product, but we're talking about a guy who scored 22 times in 41 starts. How many of those have we been lucky enough to have in the ranks?

You all need to calm down. The guy at no point said he didn't like malonga, and a no point said he'd rather have players like Collins. BUT some on here seem to think malonga was world class. he wasn't even close to that. A talented footballer but like it or not even the most talented has to apply himself 100% of the time to justify getting picked. If you ever get the chance have a chat with some of the coaches at Hibs and they will tell you how Malonga would make them tear their hair out. Purely coz they knew just how good he could be.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
26-01-2016, 10:51 AM
Anyone else wake up still as gutted as they were last night? I did.

Gatecrasher
26-01-2016, 10:56 AM
Sad to see him go and leaves us with plenty of good memories but I will take Stokes as a trade off any day.

Ozyhibby
26-01-2016, 11:07 AM
This. If we wanted to watch someone runaround like a headless chicken for 90 minute we would never have released John Rankin.

Rankin has finished above Hibs every season since he was deemed not good enough for Hibs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BSEJVT
26-01-2016, 11:10 AM
That's OTT. No need for comments like that.

FWIW I can see where the guy is coming from. Some of the comments on the Malonga thread last week were ridiculous. Move on a week and the manager has decided to let this superstar leave.

Don't see why you compare Malonga to Collins either as that isn't the choice is it? It's Malonga or Cummings or Stokes. I'd go with a pairing of Cummings and Stokes every day of the week and if Dom wasn't happy with that and wanted to leave then so be it.

Sorry no its not

Does he really believe that if he were to criticise Malonga folk will consider him to be either racist or know nothing about football?

Its a cop out, its disparaging to his fellow supporters and posters to even suggest such a thing

He doesn't rate the guy fair do's, but instead of having the balls to come out and say why and debate the point, he makes snidey wee schoolboy remarks.

zlatan
26-01-2016, 11:13 AM
Cult hero

CallumLaidlaw
26-01-2016, 11:17 AM
Rankin has finished above Hibs every season since he was deemed not good enough for Hibs.

And I still wouldn't want him back.

Sammy7nil
26-01-2016, 11:20 AM
Always disappointed to see Hibs lose a decent player,but honestly can't describe my feeling as gutted. Players come and go and the club keeps on moving.Pretty sure an outsider reading this thread with no knowledge of Dom would think we were losing one of the best players we've ever had,not in my opinion. Best wishes to Dom, and thanks for your efforts.

Agreed :agree:

Big_Franck
26-01-2016, 11:23 AM
Sorry no its not

Does he really believe that if he were to criticise Malonga folk will consider him to be either racist or know nothing about football?

Its a cop out, its disparaging to his fellow supporters and posters to even suggest such a thing

He doesn't rate the guy fair do's, but instead of having the balls to come out and say why and debate the point, he makes snidey wee schoolboy remarks.

Yes, because that's exactly what happened on a Malonga thread last week. Albeit the poster that made the racist comment later clarified that he meant there are some racist fans in the Hibs support in general, and wasn't referring to any specific poster.

Springbank
26-01-2016, 11:24 AM
Farewell Dom, thanks for some smashing goals.

We have a more all round replacement in Stokes though so it's been a good window for Malonga (he got his move) and it's been a good window for Hibs.

I think Dom has 25% improvement in him, thinking back to the 2-0 Derby (where he limped about embarrassingly for a while), and the 0-2 defeat to Rangers (why didn't he pass to unmarked Djedje at 0-1) and more recently the lack of impact or goal when we needed him at Falkirk (1-1)

Too many apologists were quick to say "it wasn't Malongas kind of game today" whereas in Stokes we have a guy where every game is his kind of game.

All parties have come out of this window better off, well done Hibs LD & AS

H18S NX
26-01-2016, 11:24 AM
Not fussed if i am being honest,but i wish him well.

Ozyhibby
26-01-2016, 11:26 AM
Sorry no its not

It's actually a direct reference to a posters point of view on another thread where he claimed that he suspected those who did not share his admiration for Dom either knew nothing about football or were racist. It was a ridiculous post then and remains so now.
Dom has an undoubted talent but he does not use it to the best of his abilities. Personally I would have kept him as cover but obviously Alan Stubbs does not think we will use him so has let him go.
He will now become a cult figure among some fans, his ability improving with every passing week.
He was a popular figure and certainly an improvement on some of the dross we have had to endure over the last few years but he was not good enough for what we need to get promoted. We need to score more goals per game if we are to stand a chance of catching Sevco and Dom does not provide that.
Wish him all the best but we move on.
We have a semi final to look forward to.

truehibernian
26-01-2016, 11:27 AM
Good player, great technical skill, however too languid at crucial parts of a game - scored some beautiful goals and was part of the revival and creating an upbeat vibe amongst fans and team - but I have to be brutally honest, this season his scoring record is poor and should be better.

Stokes replacing Dom is akin to champagne replacing a good wine - Stokes will bring in players to the game far more than Dom will and also mean Keatings can concentrate on being a striker too.

Wish him all the very best though - a definite cult hero last two years.

Alfred E Newman
26-01-2016, 11:27 AM

We might not be in the league we are now if we hadn't released Rankin when we did and if we want to get out it we need players that are going to perform week in week out not when they feel like it.

Golden Bear
26-01-2016, 11:29 AM
Sorry no its not

There's been countless Malonga threads on here over the last few months. I have no intention of going back to quote some of the posts, but yes, there were definitely inferences that Malonga was not rated by some because of the colour of his skin rather than his footballing abilities. Similarly others have said that people who don't rate Malonga simply don't understand football.

In my case I see what I see - a talented football player whom I doubt will never make the best of his abilities because he lacks other attributes. If the Manager is of the opinion that he can't improve him further as a player and the squad as a whole will not be weakened by his departure then I'm prepared to go with that. We're well covered in the striker department and perhaps it was simply a case that big Dom didn't fancy his chances of playing every week so requested to be moved on. The circumstances behind him leaving are at this stage unknown but I see he's now listed as a free agent.

I hope my "explanation" goes some way to making me a better person but if it doesn't then fine, I'll not resort to schoolboy name calling and I can assure you that I'll sleep ok tonight.

Scouse Hibee
26-01-2016, 11:32 AM
Anyone else wake up still as gutted as they were last night? I did.

Behave.

MrRobot
26-01-2016, 11:34 AM
I ****ing love Malonga :boo hoo:

BSEJVT
26-01-2016, 11:37 AM
YIf you ever get the chance have a chat with some of the coaches at Hibs and they will tell you how Malonga would make them tear their hair out. Purely coz they knew just how good he could be.

If that's meant to make people feel better about the situation it does just the reverse.

If we remove Malonga, who I accept is an emotive figure, from the situation, then the excerpt of your quote I have shown tells me that that our management team recognised the talent of a player but then couldn't work out how to motivate him or what did in the games he performed?

I think thats a fairly damning indictment of them worsened by the fact that rather than persevering and trying to work with the individual, they took the easy option of easing him out and moving him on.

Personally if I had a player (or employee) that I regarded that highly I would be moving heaven and earth to get them performing to their best in the knowledge that they could bring something to the role that their possibly less gifted but easier to manage co workers could not.

Sport is about very fine margins, the best naturally command most attention and most money but utilised properly can carry the team.

Alfred E Newman
26-01-2016, 11:37 AM
There's been countless Malonga threads on here over the last few months. I have no intention of going back to quote some of the posts, but yes, there were definitely inferences that Malonga was not rated by some because of the colour of his skin rather than his footballing abilities. Similarly others have said that people who don't rate Malonga simply don't understand football.

In my case I see what I see - a talented football player whom I doubt will never make the best of his abilities because he lacks other attributes. If the Manager is of the opinion that he can't improve him further as a player and the squad as a whole will not be weakened by his departure then I'm prepared to go with that. We're well covered in the striker department and perhaps it was simply a case that big Dom didn't fancy his chances of playing every week so requested to be moved on. The circumstances behind him leaving are at this stage unknown but I see he's now listed as a free agent.

I hope my "explanation" goes some way to making me a better person but if it doesn't then fine, I'll not resort to schoolboy name calling and I can assure you that I'll sleep ok tonight.
Spot on. Going by some of the over the top , wrist slitting comments on here you would be excused for thinking we had just released Lionel Messi.

BSEJVT
26-01-2016, 11:41 AM

Fine, no problem with that, your comments regarding his making the most of his abilities are also an assertion I agree with.

Wouldn't it have been simpler and better just to say that rather than the offensive other remarks made?

My_Wife_Camille
26-01-2016, 11:43 AM
Didn't sleep a wink last night. I fear this could be the beginning of the end. Be safe Dom.

Golden Bear
26-01-2016, 11:45 AM
Fine, no problem with that, your comments regarding his making the most of his abilities are also an assertion I agree with.

Wouldn't it have been simpler and better just to say that rather than the offensive other remarks made?

I wasn't aware that my remarks were offensive, more a direct reference and response to previous posts on this subject.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
26-01-2016, 11:45 AM
Behave.

?

Sudds_1
26-01-2016, 11:57 AM
You all need to calm down. The guy at no point said he didn't like malonga, and a no point said he'd rather have players like Collins. BUT some on here seem to think malonga was world class. he wasn't even close to that. A talented footballer but like it or not even the most talented has to apply himself 100% of the time to justify getting picked. If you ever get the chance have a chat with some of the coaches at Hibs and they will tell you how Malonga would make them tear their hair out. Purely coz they knew just how good he could be.

at last.......some reasoned non emotional opinion. A good (not great) player is moving on. Happens all the time in football. We however have made sure that a more than adequate replacement is in.

Malonga will do ok wherever he goes...........but he's no messi needing beating of breasts and hand wringing on his departure.

BSEJVT
26-01-2016, 11:58 AM
I wasn't aware that my remarks were offensive, more a direct reference and response to previous posts on this subject.

Different folk take offence at different things.

Over and done now, my apologies if I unwittingly misinterpreted your comments / stance on the matter

Dashing Bob S
26-01-2016, 11:59 AM
Dom's a Hibs legend and if it hadn't been for the colour of his skin he'd have got into the Famous Five no bother.

Phil MaGlass
26-01-2016, 12:00 PM
Maybe I missed something, are we really paying someone off when we should be looking for a fee, were still in the transfer window. I liked him and thought he was a good player, surprised at this.

Golden Bear
26-01-2016, 12:03 PM
Different folk take offence at different things.

Over and done now, my apologies if I unwittingly misinterpreted your comments / stance on the matter

:aok:

Brightside
26-01-2016, 12:04 PM
If that's meant to make people feel better about the situation it does just the reverse.

If we remove Malonga, who I accept is an emotive figure, from the situation, then the excerpt of your quote I have shown tells me that that our management team recognised the talent of a player but then couldn't work out how to motivate him or what did in the games he performed?

I think thats a fairly damning indictment of them worsened by the fact that rather than persevering and trying to work with the individual, they took the easy option of easing him out and moving him on.

Personally if I had a player (or employee) that I regarded that highly I would be moving heaven and earth to get them performing to their best in the knowledge that they could bring something to the role that their possibly less gifted but easier to manage co workers could not.

Sport is about very fine margins, the best naturally command most attention and most money but utilised properly can carry the team.

There are hundreds of players like that. You don't think Stubbs has improved other players? The best managers in the world struggle to get 100% commitment from players who don't have it in their nature to deliver that.

Andy74
26-01-2016, 12:07 PM
at last.......some reasoned non emotional opinion. A good (not great) player is moving on. Happens all the time in football. We however have made sure that a more than adequate replacement is in.

Malonga will do ok wherever he goes...........but he's no messi needing beating of breasts and hand wringing on his departure.

I think folk are just saying we are a bit gutted that we have lost a guy who was a good player but was also a character that a lot of people enjoyed having here.

I'm not sure why people should have to react badly to that.

A real lack of class in many comments about a guy who did well for us and appeared to be a good guy. A simple bit of well wishing and some show of disappointment and we really can't manage that?

Reactions to Malonga continue to puzzle me.

Bracksy
26-01-2016, 12:07 PM
has this been confirmed yet?

Brightside
26-01-2016, 12:10 PM
Maybe I missed something, are we really paying someone off when we should be looking for a fee, were still in the transfer window. I liked him and thought he was a good player, surprised at this.

Paying him off? What makes you think that? We've agreed that he can go.

Brightside
26-01-2016, 12:13 PM
I think folk are just saying we are a bit gutted that we have lost a guy who was a good player but was also a character that a lot of people enjoyed having here.

A real lack of class in many comments about a guy who did well for us and appeared to be a good guy. A simple bit of well wishing and some show of disappointment and we really can't manage that?

There is surely a middle ground though Andy. A good player but someone on here said the best since Sauzee? Is that not miles overboard.

Edson Arantes
26-01-2016, 12:16 PM
Dom's a Hibs legend and if it hadn't been for the colour of his skin he'd have got into the Famous Five no bother.

Sorry, but what the hell has his skin colour got to do with anything?

lucky
26-01-2016, 12:18 PM
Malonga has skill however his contribution in most games was negligible. I thought he was actually contributing more to the team performance this season than in previous years. Whilst he has his cult following, for me history will judge him in the same bracket as Liam Craig.

Dashing Bob S
26-01-2016, 12:19 PM
Sorry, but what the hell has his skin colour got to do with anything?

It's as relevant to this discussion as the thorny issue of time travel.

Phil MaGlass
26-01-2016, 12:21 PM
Paying him off? What makes you think that? We've agreed that he can go.
sorry, I thought I read somewhere we had paid him off, my fault, shouldnae read or take things in too fast.
Still why are we not looking to cash in if as mentioned in earlier reports other clubs were interested?

Andy74
26-01-2016, 12:24 PM
There is surely a middle ground though Andy. A good player but someone on here said the best since Sauzee? Is that not miles overboard.

No it's not miles overboard. I think what people mean by that type of comparison is sheer technical ability but also that air of class that just a few players we have had show. I think you either see that type of thing in players and like it, or not.

If the likes of Cantona were in your favourite players list then I'm sure Malonga would be more than just another player.

If you preferred the likes of Alan Shearer then maybe not.

CraigHibee
26-01-2016, 12:29 PM
on his Facebook page

Dominique Malonga
13 hrs ·
I am sincerely touched by your posts you'll really miss you I spent
good times with you ‪#‎GGTTH‬ ‪#‎Hibs‬

The_Horde
26-01-2016, 12:30 PM

:hilarious

Banter, not trolling!

Hibernia&Alba
26-01-2016, 12:44 PM
on his Facebook page

Dominique Malonga
13 hrs ·
I am sincerely touched by your posts you'll really miss you I spent
good times with you ‪#‎GGTTH‬ ‪#‎Hibs‬

:boo hoo:

Come back and see us, big man.

KeithTheHibby
26-01-2016, 12:46 PM
Shame to see him leave and undoubtedly on his day one of the best.

Timing could have been better what-with the semi this weekend however onwards and upwards. In Stubbs we trust.

NAE NOOKIE
26-01-2016, 12:49 PM

Sorry mate. Malonga was 25 when he joined Hibs and is now 27. Before joining us he had been on the books of more than one club who would be considered bigger than Hibs and in bigger leagues. This isn't some raw kid we are talking about, this is a guy in the 2nd half of a pro footballers lifespan. We all acknowledge he has ability, so the question has to be asked why have none of those clubs made an effort to keep him?

He has played in leagues where according to a lot of people technical ability is prized way over energy and commitment, so why hasn't that ability carried him through? My guess is that the coaches at Torino or Foggia, just like the coaches at Hibs, need to see 100% commitment on the park as well as technical skill. It doesn't matter what a players level of ability or what club he plays for he has to contribute off the ball or he wont make it in the modern game.

It doesn't matter if you think Malonga was just lazy or it was just his style that made him look lazy the end result is the same. ...... Hibs are just one of a long line of clubs Dom hasn't made it at on an ever downward spiral and if you ask me that isn't because the coaches at Torino, Foggia, Vicenza or Hibs for that matter were too stupid or lazy to work on him, its because he wasn't prepared to meet them half way, and after 18 months on the books here I'm guessing any Hibs coach worth his salt knew he was wasting his time.

How often after an hour in matches did Malonga appear to be carrying a knock he had acquired in some mysterious way? ( I have mentioned that more than once after games ) . Its no coincidence that as soon as we went down to 10 men in the Falkirk game Malonga was the player who got hooked, because with him on the park we would have been down to 9 and a half men, not just 10 and Stubbs knew it. On Saturday I was laughing as the subs warming up behind the goals did their stretches and wee sprints, while Dom wandered along as if he was on a Sunday stroll and then stopped to sign autographs and get selfies taken. At the time I thought "ha ha typical Dom" but the truth is its exactly that apparent lack of commitment and professionalism which have hampered his career ....... even if he knew he was leaving at that point he should still have been getting prepared to be ready to come on if needed.

I'm prepared to say that Dom's problem isn't so much that clubs weren't prepared to keep him, so much as clubs haven't been all that bothered about losing him, with us just being the latest. At 27 years old if Dom doesn't see the pattern here he will be out of football by the time he is 30.

J-C
26-01-2016, 01:04 PM
Didn't sleep a wink last night. I fear this could be the beginning of the end. Be safe Dom.

I take it you're at the wind up :greengrin

Andy74
26-01-2016, 01:09 PM
Sorry mate. Malonga was 25 when he joined Hibs and is now 27. Before joining us he had been on the books of more than one club who would be considered bigger than Hibs and in bigger leagues. This isn't some raw kid we are talking about, this is a guy in the 2nd half of a pro footballers lifespan. We all acknowledge he has ability, so the question has to be asked why have none of those clubs made an effort to keep him?

He has played in leagues where according to a lot of people technical ability is prized way over energy and commitment, so why hasn't that ability carried him through? My guess is that the coaches at Torino or Foggia, just like the coaches at Hibs, need to see 100% commitment on the park as well as technical skill. It doesn't matter what a players level of ability or what club he plays for he has to contribute off the ball or he wont make it in the modern game.

It doesn't matter if you think Malonga was just lazy or it was just his style that made him look lazy the end result is the same. ...... Hibs are just one of a long line of clubs Dom hasn't made it at on an ever downward spiral and if you ask me that isn't because the coaches at Torino, Foggia, Vicenza or Hibs for that matter were too stupid or lazy to work on him, its because he wasn't prepared to meet them half way, and after 18 months on the books here I'm guessing any Hibs coach worth his salt knew he was wasting his time.

How often after an hour in matches did Malonga appear to be carrying a knock he had acquired in some mysterious way? ( I have mentioned that more than once after games ) . Its no coincidence that as soon as we went down to 10 men in the Falkirk game Malonga was the player who got hooked, because with him on the park we would have been down to 9 and a half men, not just 10 and Stubbs knew it. On Saturday I was laughing as the subs warming up behind the goals did their stretches and wee sprints, while Dom wandered along as if he was on a Sunday stroll and then stopped to sign autographs and get selfies taken. At the time I thought "ha ha typical Dom" but the truth is its exactly that apparent lack of commitment and professionalism which have hampered his career ....... even if he knew he was leaving at that point he should still have been getting prepared to be ready to come on if needed.

I'm prepared to say that Dom's problem isn't so much that clubs weren't prepared to keep him, so much as clubs haven't been all that bothered about losing him, with us just being the latest. At 27 years old if Dom doesn't see the pattern here he will be out of football by the time he is 30.

A lot of words there but you are turning his demeanour and style into a problem that isn't there.

On the park he put in the effort and the commitment where it was needed.

There's no suggestion that his effort or commitment has been challenged by any of his clubs. In fact I'm sure only in Scotland would it merit a second thought.

southsider
26-01-2016, 01:15 PM
Dom was ok, nothing special overall but did have a few special moments. 6.5 out of 10. Can think of over 20 forwards who were/are better Hibs forwards than him. Starting with Neil Martin and ending with Anthony & Jason.

Lago
26-01-2016, 01:18 PM
Dom is a good player not a great player, many better than him have left in past and many will in the future. The out pouring of sentimentality I've read on here baffles me, he obviously didn't fancy staying and proving he was the striker to be a first pick for Hibs. Think of Stevenson when he was going through a bad patch, everyone saying bin him, get someone else in, Stevenson said nothing worked hard and is a crucial memember of our squad. Dom didn't do that.

tamig
26-01-2016, 02:04 PM

Spot on.

tamig
26-01-2016, 02:06 PM

Nae need.

tamig
26-01-2016, 02:07 PM
Dom was ok, nothing special overall but did have a few special moments. 6.5 out of 10. Can think of over 20 forwards who were/are better Hibs forwards than him. Starting with Neil Martin and ending with Anthony & Jason.

Cummings better than Malonga? That could be a topic for a whole new thread.

GreenCastle
26-01-2016, 02:08 PM
Malongone :boo hoo:

Pretty good goalscoring ration for a so called lazy striker - 1st Hibs player for a while I'm pretty gutted to see go.

My_Wife_Camille
26-01-2016, 02:38 PM
Nae need.
for what

Hiber-nation
26-01-2016, 02:50 PM

Amen....

hibsbollah
26-01-2016, 02:57 PM
The out pouring of sentimentality I've read on here baffles me.

You don't need to understand someone else's sentimentality, you should just respect it. Don't waste your time/energy posting about being 'baffled'. Opinions are like erseholes, everybody has one.

Hiber-nation
26-01-2016, 03:01 PM
You don't need to understand someone else's sentimentality, you should just respect it. Don't waste your time/energy posting about being 'baffled'. Opinions are like erseholes, everybody has one.

I'm certainly not baffled by it but I don't agree with it. Liked him as a player but thought he should have done better considering the ability he has.

NorthNorfolkHFC
26-01-2016, 03:06 PM
is it of immediate effect or is still still about for saturday?

BSEJVT
26-01-2016, 03:09 PM
There are hundreds of players like that. You don't think Stubbs has improved other players? The best managers in the world struggle to get 100% commitment from players who don't have it in their nature to deliver that.

I don't doubt that Stubbs has improved some players, others he certainly has not.

I would say the likes of Forster, Stanton, & Harris are no better, probably worse and the same could be said of those he has shipped out so far on the journey.

Football is always however a bit like that, some buy in, some dont.

That doesn't mean he gets a free pass to skate right by the ones he isnt successful with.

A manager's duty in any of walk of life is to develop all his employees, not just the ones he likes or gets on with.

Its noticeable that some managers (Ferguson & Redknapp for example) are better at getting the best out of wayward stars than others.

My personal view is that anyone with real talent is worth persevering with and if you can get them to deliver, the return is exponentially better.

Given the way football finances are, our only chance it to pick up these underachievers and get them to start achieving.

From my perspective Stubbs is still on the plus side of that equation, but it isnt a no contest.

Deansy
26-01-2016, 03:09 PM
I really hope we don't regret this - class like Malonga doesn't come along every day !. Yes he didn't really break sweat all that often but I always felt confident with him on the field. Best of luck, Dom - you deserve it !

hibsbollah
26-01-2016, 03:17 PM
I'm certainly not baffled by it but I don't agree with it. Liked him as a player but thought he should have done better considering the ability he has.

You 'don't agree' with someone else's sentimentality? That's even worse than being baffled by it.

But we're getting into semantics now so I'm bowing out of this one. Maybe us sentimentalists could have a separate 'Malonga RIP' thread where we could wallow in our sentimentality without interruption from the pragmatists/non-racists.

BSEJVT
26-01-2016, 03:18 PM

This isnt aimed at you, but that's an interesting conundrum.

1) Guy with talent doesnt deliver all he maybe could and gets criticised.

2) Guy with no talent delivers nothing, would he get criticised? Or would people accept he was doing his best. albeit he wasn't good enough?

Seems to me that its the old way of doing people down rather than celebrating their achievements, limited though they may be?

Lets suppose you have a son who is decent enough, could do better but doesn't have it in him to do so.

Would you rather he was 1) or 2)?

As I wouldn't want my son to get the aggro I would chose 2)

But are we holding back our players by unduly criticising them for their shortcomings rather than praising them for their achievements?

California-Hibs
26-01-2016, 03:24 PM
is it of immediate effect or is still still about for saturday?

It of course must be with immediate effect. Imagine he came on and grabbed a goal or 2 on Saturday, we'd all be up in arms even more so about his leaving.

Still really upset by this. If either Jason or Stokes was to get an injury Malonga would be my first port of call to step in.

That being said its early days for Dagnall, Stubbs may just have fooled us all with him infact being the real rabbit...

Thecat23
26-01-2016, 03:28 PM
This thread is starting to get hilarious. You would think we'd lost Messi from some comments or just let Brian Hamilton go with other comments.

He was alright, yeah just alright! If he was "great" he'd be at a much higher level, and if he was crap he'd be at someone like Montrose.

He's away, lets move on now! We have a very strong squad and I'm delighted with Stubbs signings and if Dom wanted to play weekly and Stubbs was honest saying he wouldn't then it's good both parties have agreed it's best if he moves on. Shows good man management and shows Malonga has ambitions higher than sitting on the bench.

Andy74
26-01-2016, 03:28 PM

2) Guy with no talent delivers nothing, would he get criticised? Or would people accept he was doing his best. albeit he wasn't good enough?

Seems to me that its the old way of doing people down rather than celebrating their achievements, limited though they may be?

Lets suppose you have a son who is decent enough, could do better but doesn't have it in him to do so.

But are we holding back our players by unduly criticising them for their shortcomings rather than praising them for their achievements?

You know, guys like Boozy, Benji, Zemmamma and Sproule all got a fair amount of criticism.

It makes you wonder what type of player we actually expect.

I would take all those guys who were capable of doing something special even if it meant other weeks they didn't.

You could always have steady players who contribute very little but weren't ever expected to do so. I wouldn't be that interested in watching though.

Hiber-nation
26-01-2016, 03:34 PM
You 'don't agree' with someone else's sentimentality? That's even worse than being baffled by it.

But we're getting into semantics now so I'm bowing out of this one. Maybe us sentimentalists could have a separate 'Malonga RIP' thread where we could wallow in our sentimentality without interruption from the pragmatists/non-racists.

Aw stop bloody nitpicking. And I canny be bothered even googling "semantics". And why you need to mention "non-racists" I have no idea whatsoever.

flash
26-01-2016, 03:35 PM
The problem being the weeks he wasn't special he was often a man short.
That's why we managed to get him.

Hiber-nation
26-01-2016, 03:36 PM

This isn't aimed at you either but I've hardly ever criticised him.

green.and.white
26-01-2016, 03:39 PM
Sad to see Dom go - class player with the best first touch of a football since David Murphy

Mr White
26-01-2016, 04:06 PM
My 5 year old is gutted. His first hibs hero and first hibs player he met leaving. Get used to it son :cb

Don Giovanni
26-01-2016, 04:08 PM
Disappointing news. I liked the big guy. He wasn't someone that would chase down defenders or long hopeful punts to the corners but he possessed great control, composure and could finish.

Seems like we're getting no return for him so it's a pity we couldn't have kept him til the end of the season - who knows what injuries or suspensions we might have to deal with and goalscorers are always in demand.

He'll end up in a better quality of league than the Scottish Championship, for sure.

BH Hibs
26-01-2016, 04:11 PM
All the best Dom thanks for the good times

BSEJVT
26-01-2016, 04:12 PM
This isn't aimed at you either but I've hardly ever criticised him.

My post had nothing to do with either Malonga or you and didn't even mention him and specifically excluded you?

I have no idea whether you think he's good bad or ugly and frankly don't care that much either, but it did make me wonder what we want from our footballers.

Mr White
26-01-2016, 04:13 PM
All the best Dom thanks for the good times

That's it for me too. Glad to have had him on board the last 18 months and wish him all the best for his future :agree:

scoopyboy
26-01-2016, 04:14 PM
The problem being the weeks he wasn't special he was often a man short.
That's why we managed to get him.

And why Alan Stubbs is prepared to let him go.

I enjoyed immensely his special moments and there were a lot but I also was frustrated with him on many occasions.

I wish him well.

Blaster
26-01-2016, 04:15 PM
I wish he was staying until the end of the season but he is not so best wishes to him

But did someone seriously have him in the same bracket as sauzee. I mean really! All for respecting opinions but come on

Thecat23
26-01-2016, 04:17 PM
I wish he was staying until the end of the season but he is not so best wishes to him

But did someone seriously have him in the same bracket as sauzee. I mean really! All for respecting opinions but come on

Must be a wind up, if anyone thinks he's in the same league as Sauzee then they either haven't seen Sauzee play of they were sleeping with Dom.

He's not even in the same league as Benji imo.

BSEJVT
26-01-2016, 04:17 PM
You know, guys like Boozy, Benji, Zemmamma and Sproule all got a fair amount of criticism.

It makes you wonder what type of player we actually expect.

I would take all those guys who were capable of doing something special even if it meant other weeks they didn't.

You could always have steady players who contribute very little but weren't ever expected to do so. I wouldn't be that interested in watching though.

Goodness Andy that's twice in one day we have agreed completely :-)

Its the little bits of brilliance that I cant even imagine being able to execute that make we want to watch football.

I appreciate the honest effort and toil of many players especially when they have a bit of skill and imagination as well, but is guys like you have stated who make you sit up and think wow that make the experience for me.

Hiber-nation
26-01-2016, 04:29 PM
My post had nothing to do with either Malonga or you and didn't even mention him and specifically excluded you?

I have no idea whether you think he's good bad or ugly and frankly don't care that much either, but it did make me wonder what we want from our footballers.

Sorry, I got lost a bit there.

I was just saying, for the record :greengrin

BSEJVT
26-01-2016, 04:38 PM
Sorry, I got lost a bit there.

I was just saying, for the record :greengrin

No problem, its certainly been a conversation point Malonga going :greengrin

Criswell
26-01-2016, 04:45 PM
A decent enough player who had his moments. However, what frustrated me most was the way he slowed the game down, which made it even more difficult to break down teams packing their defence.

ancient hibee
26-01-2016, 05:33 PM
Pity.I thought he and Cummings have been our only decent partnership upfront and his goal to games record is as good as Stokes.I'd like to have seen him and Stokes together because he certainly had a good brain.There's no guarantee that Stokes and Cummings will gell-it might become either or rather than together.

Scott Allan Key
26-01-2016, 05:40 PM
That goal versus Aberdeen encapsulated everything I love about football. The first football game I ever witnessed was the Scotland v Brazil 82 game as a youngster and to have a bit of magic at Hibs, albeit the brief glimpse here or there is why I put up with Hibs.

We're lucky and frustrated in equal measure, Malonga was good enough for that but we have had technically gifted players before who had great application. I'm thinking of JOHN Collins (a youngster) who went on to greater things.

We might need to go a bit more direct at goal and although he is not our player and I am unhappy about being ineligible v Celtic should it arise, Stokes can link well as forward too and will score more goals. Squad rotation would've been great but I wish Malonga well in his career ahead.

emerald green
26-01-2016, 05:40 PM
It's actually a direct reference to a posters point of view on another thread where he claimed that he suspected those who did not share his admiration for Dom either knew nothing about football or were racist. It was a ridiculous post then and remains so now.

I'm not sure if you are referring to a post I made on the "Malonga to Italy" thread recently, or not? It sounds a bit like maybe you are, so I feel I need to point some things out.

If you are, you have got it completely wrong. At no point did I claim that I suspected those who did not share my admiration of Malonga, as a footballer, either knew nothing about football, or were racist.

In this connection please refer to my posts #53 #155 and #173 on that thread. Especially my post where I clarified that my initial post was not directed at any poster on this forum. If you take the trouble to read what I said, you will see that what I was basically saying was that there are IMHO some people in the Hibs support, and in society in general, who hold racist views.

Just because someone may not share my admiration for Malonga as a footballer of course doesn't make that person a racist, or that they know "nothing about football". That would be nonsense.

NAE NOOKIE
26-01-2016, 05:42 PM
A lot of words there but you are turning his demeanour and style into a problem that isn't there.

On the park he put in the effort and the commitment where it was needed.

There's no suggestion that his effort or commitment has been challenged by any of his clubs. In fact I'm sure only in Scotland would it merit a second thought.

Sorry mate, but I've seen enough of Malonga playing in the flesh to make a judgment that in too many of his games he was little better than average. There was always the chance that he would do something special and sometimes he did, but nothing like on a consistent basis, which is why more and more he was ending up on the bench, obviously Mr Stubbs didn't think his effort was up to scratch and saw him as a bit of a luxury player.

I'm not sure how you can say his 'style' hadn't been a problem at other clubs ... if it wasn't what was it then, was it a lack of ability that made Hibs his 6th club in 7 years?

As for the "only in Scotland" comment. Its a load of inverted snobbery that gets really tiresome .... in any league in the world fans and coaches demand effort and enthusiasm to go with skill and the amount of players who can get by on skill alone are extremely few and far between. If for a second Hibs thought Malonga was a player capable of ripping it up in the Premier league they would have made a hell of a bigger effort to keep him.

emerald green
26-01-2016, 05:47 PM
That goal versus Aberdeen encapsulated everything I love about football. The first football game I ever witnessed was the Scotland v Brazil 82 game as a youngster and to have a bit of magic at Hibs, albeit the brief glimpse here or there is why I put up with Hibs.

I was at that game in Seville. Espagna '82. Happy days. David Narey "toe poke" then ripped apart by Falcao & Zico etc.

Billy Whizz
26-01-2016, 05:49 PM
I was at that game in Seville. Espagna '82. Happy days. David Narey "toe poke" then ripped apart by Falcao & Zico etc.

Have you read the book from that tournament. Called something like tales of the tartan army. Worth a wee read

emerald green
26-01-2016, 05:55 PM
Have you read the book from that tournament. Called something like tales of the tartan army. Worth a wee read

I don't think I've read that book Billy, but I could tell a few tales of my own from the fantastic time I/we spent on the Costa del Sol with the Tartan Army. :greengrin

Billy Whizz
26-01-2016, 05:56 PM
I don't think I've read that book Billy, but I could tell a few tales of my own from the fantastic time I/we spent on the Costa del Sol with the Tartan Army. :greengrin

It's all about that. Think I picked up at a library, get a copy you'll enjoy it, and relate to it

Andy74
26-01-2016, 05:56 PM
Sorry mate, but I've seen enough of Malonga playing in the flesh to make a judgment that in too many of his games he was little better than average. There was always the chance that he would do something special and sometimes he did, but nothing like on a consistent basis, which is why more and more he was ending up on the bench, obviously Mr Stubbs didn't think his effort was up to scratch and saw him as a bit of a luxury player.

I'm not sure how you can say his 'style' hadn't been a problem at other clubs ... if it wasn't what was it then, was it a lack of ability that made Hibs his 6th club in 7 years?

As for the "only in Scotland" comment. Its a load of inverted snobbery that gets really tiresome .... in any league in the world fans and coaches demand effort and enthusiasm to go with skill and the amount of players who can get by on skill alone are extremely few and far between. If for a second Hibs thought Malonga was a player capable of ripping it up in the Premier league they would have made a hell of a bigger effort to keep him.

Perhaps he had no intention of hanging around here?

In the context of Hibs,describing Malonga as little better than average is laughable so I can't really pay much attention to anything else you've written most of which is just a lazy rehashing of how some people perceive his effort.

Scott Allan Key
26-01-2016, 05:57 PM

I watched it as an 8 year old on the council telly. It was in my music teacher's flat in full colour which was how to watch Brazil as we just had a black and white racist television.

emerald green
26-01-2016, 06:05 PM
I watched it as an 8 year old on the council telly. It was in my music teacher's flat in full colour which was how to watch Brazil as we just had a black and white racist television.

Brazil were great to watch. They were unlucky and surprisingly beaten by Italy by 3-2 in the next round IIRC.

emerald green
26-01-2016, 06:07 PM
It's all about that. Think I picked up at a library, get a copy you'll enjoy it, and relate to it

I'll look out for it. Cheers. :aok:

Keith_M
26-01-2016, 06:23 PM
Looks like Malonga wanted to leave, so no need to criticise Hibs for this decision.

All the best and thanks for the memories.

Lago
26-01-2016, 06:30 PM

Tears for souvenirs:greengrin

Lago
26-01-2016, 06:36 PM

Think I'll be the best judge of when I post what I post etc. As you say its all about opinions even ones that baffle me and there are plenty in that category on here.

NAE NOOKIE
26-01-2016, 06:40 PM
Perhaps he had no intention of hanging around here?

In the context of Hibs,describing Malonga as little better than average is laughable so I can't really pay much attention to anything else you've written most of which is just a lazy rehashing of how some people perceive his effort.

Perhaps he didn't, who knows?

I didn't describe him as little better than average, I described a lot of his performances as little better than average .... there is a difference. I have watched every game Malonga has played at Easter Road and a number of his away games, those mostly on TV, but still. I think that qualifies me to form my own opinion, without having to "re hash" other peoples.

You have posted on many of the same threads as I have on this forum Andy and therefore I presume you have seen my style of posting over the years. You should be well aware that I post what I think and I don't wait for other folk to make my mind up for me. Perhaps you would like to withdraw your arrogant and stupid statement. Thanks. :aok:

Lago
26-01-2016, 06:47 PM
:top marks
Perhaps he didn't, who knows?

I didn't describe him as little better than average, I described a lot of his performances as little better than average .... there is a difference. I have watched every game Malonga has played at Easter Road and a number of his away games, those mostly on TV, but still. I think that qualifies me to form my own opinion, without having to "re hash" other peoples.

You have posted on many of the same threads as I have on this forum Andy and therefore I presume you have seen my style of posting over the years. You should be well aware that I post what I think and I don't wait for other folk to make my mind up for me. Perhaps you would like to withdraw your arrogant and stupid statement. Thanks. :aok:

eastmainsmsh
26-01-2016, 07:34 PM
I think Dom wanted to go hope he goes down south tho

Stuarty27
26-01-2016, 07:42 PM
Imagine he done a Darren McGregor and signed with Rangers

hibsbollah
26-01-2016, 07:47 PM
Imagine he done a Darren McGregor and signed with Rangers

Never happen. Don't you remember the
"I don't care about The Rangers" (complete with Sid Vicious-esque sneer).

He's a Hibs legend for that interview alone, IMO.

Dashing Bob S
26-01-2016, 07:59 PM
I'd like to have seen Dom stick around a bit Malonga.

Yes maybe he did lack a bit application and desire at times, but thank God for that, as if he hadn't we wouldn't have seen a player of his skill level at ER.

If he is out of the game by 30 then so what? Most players are done by 34 and they don't provide anything like as much entertainment as DM.

keep the faith
26-01-2016, 08:40 PM
I notice he has removed "plays for hibs" from his Twitter bio this evening as well as all the good luck messages from hibs fans which had been posted today.

c31
26-01-2016, 10:52 PM
He's propabilly about to sign for new Huns 🐐

Smartie
26-01-2016, 10:57 PM
He's propabilly about to sign for new Huns 

I don't know why but I have a horrible feeling that's what is going to happen.

Hibs90
27-01-2016, 08:20 AM
I don't know why but I have a horrible feeling that's what is going to happen.

Can't see it.

Anyway he has just tweeted a goodbye.

JimBHibees
27-01-2016, 08:23 AM
Can't see it.

Anyway he has just tweeted a goodbye.

Just confirmed away to Italy for undisclosed fee.

Callum_62
27-01-2016, 08:24 AM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/6121

Gone to Seria B

portycabbage
27-01-2016, 08:26 AM
All the best Dom. Would have liked to see him stay a few years more, think he did very well for us and scored some fantastic goals.

itslegaltender
27-01-2016, 08:27 AM

Gone to Seria B

confirmed by new club.

http://www.fcprovercelli.it/news/prima-squadra/prima-squadra-news/1552-ufficiale-l-attaccante-dominique-malonga-arriva-a-vercelli.html

Iceman1875
27-01-2016, 08:29 AM
Confirmed on the main site Feruz has left and Connor Duthie too?

At Easter Road we play...

Billy Whizz
27-01-2016, 08:32 AM
confirmed by new club.

http://www.fcprovercelli.it/news/prima-squadra/prima-squadra-news/1552-ufficiale-l-attaccante-dominique-malonga-arriva-a-vercelli.html

Anyone read Italian, how long is his deal

JimBHibees
27-01-2016, 08:34 AM

Translated it using google chrome doesnt mention a term just that documents came through this morning.

Winston Ingram
27-01-2016, 08:39 AM

I can use Google Translate if that's any good?

The news was already in the air , but only in the early morning of Wednesday, January 27 came the official with the signing of all documents

The F.C. Pro Vercelli 1892 affiliated Congolese striker DOMINIQUE MALONGA

The player , born in 1989 and from the Scottish team Hibernian FC this afternoon will play the first training session in Vercelli the orders of Mr. Foscarini and Thursday 28 January at 14.15 will be presented to journalists in the press room of the stadium " Silvio Piola "

Brightside
27-01-2016, 08:40 AM
Confirmed on the main site Feruz has left and Connor Duthie too?

At Easter Road we play...

I assume Connor will go to Spartans?

Billy Whizz
27-01-2016, 08:45 AM
I can use Google Translate if that's any good?

Ta

CapitalGreen
27-01-2016, 08:51 AM

Gone to Seria B

So we can put to bed that he received a pay-off then.

Lago
27-01-2016, 09:00 AM
So we can put to bed that he received a pay-off then.
We can and as we got some money for him a nice bit of business by LD & AS, in my opinion.

Andy74
27-01-2016, 09:02 AM
We can and as we got some money for him a nice bit of business by LD & AS, in my opinion.

Still gutted, though I did leave the house today so small steps.

Lago
27-01-2016, 09:04 AM
:thumbsup:

Brightside
27-01-2016, 09:06 AM

£1m + :wink:

CallumLaidlaw
27-01-2016, 09:10 AM
£1m + :wink:

How much DO you reckon? £50k?

Brightside
27-01-2016, 09:12 AM

My assumption would be "enough to cover the wages of replacements"

CallumLaidlaw
27-01-2016, 09:12 AM

As in, Stokes and Dagnall, or the one still to arrive? :wink:

JimBHibees
27-01-2016, 09:14 AM

:greengrin

AlbertK86
27-01-2016, 10:26 AM

Another hint being put out there Underscore ?

danhibees1875
27-01-2016, 11:30 AM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/dominique-malonga-joins-pro-vercelli-from-hibs-1-4012810

Serie B

Good luck Dom! :thumbsup:

Lago
27-01-2016, 11:43 AM
As I said a good bit of business all round.

Danderhall Hibs
27-01-2016, 11:44 AM

We should’ve sent a link to this thread to persuade them to part a lot more than that.

7 Up
27-01-2016, 12:07 PM
All the best, Dom!

The old chap who sits behind me in the East will be gutted. He'll need to find someone new to whine about for 90 minutes.

Smartie
27-01-2016, 12:18 PM
Gutted by this and I stand by my "first name on the team sheet" comment. I've seen enough balls bouncing off strikers and not sticking up front over the past few years for me to turn my nose up at what Malonga offers.

Presumably Dom instigated this - if not, and we wanted to get rid of him then it's the first thing that Stubbs has done that I wholeheartedly disagree with.

Great credit to Stubbs though if we've developed into the kind of club that has gone from relying on Rowan Vine to get us goals to being able to afford to part ways with players as good as Malonga in just 2 short years.

I really hope this one doesn't come back and bite us on the arse but I was almost concerned that he'd pitch up at Ibrox for a minute!

Given the way he seemed to polarise opinion he has to go down as one of our finest cult heroes. And like Tortolano, one of my all-time favourite players.

Jim Herriot
27-01-2016, 12:58 PM
Sad about him leaving, but thanks and good luck to him.
Pro Vercelli look an interesting club. - http://lmgtfy.com/?q=pro+vercelli
Their press conference is tomorrow, 2.15 Italian time, and may shed more light on the reasons for his departure.

Andy74
27-01-2016, 01:10 PM
Their press conference is tomorrow, 2.15 Italian time, and may shed more light on the reasons for his departure.

One thing is that it is North West Italy and very close to both Turin where he was based previously and Monaco where he spent his youth career.

Looks like he just wants to get back to family and friends.

The_Sauz
27-01-2016, 01:12 PM

Family reasons I would imagine? I'm sure he said his family was back in France after he moved to Scotland :agree:

jacomo
27-01-2016, 02:21 PM
Gutted by this and I stand by my "first name on the team sheet" comment. I've seen enough balls bouncing off strikers and not sticking up front over the past few years for me to turn my nose up at what Malonga offers.

Presumably Dom instigated this - if not, and we wanted to get rid of him then it's the first thing that Stubbs has done that I wholeheartedly disagree with.

Great credit to Stubbs though if we've developed into the kind of club that has gone from relying on Rowan Vine to get us goals to being able to afford to part ways with players as good as Malonga in just 2 short years.

I really hope this one doesn't come back and bite us on the arse but I was almost concerned that he'd pitch up at Ibrox for a minute!

Given the way he seemed to polarise opinion he has to go down as one of our finest cult heroes. And like Tortolano, one of my all-time favourite players.

:agree:

The_Horde
27-01-2016, 02:30 PM
One thing is that it is North West Italy and very close to both Turin where he was based previously and Monaco where he spent his youth career.

Looks like he just wants to get back to family and friends.

Can't blame him. Amount of stick he took at times was unreal.

3pm
27-01-2016, 04:01 PM

Not true.

ancient hibee
27-01-2016, 04:55 PM
Family reasons I would imagine? I'm sure he said his family was back in France after he moved to Scotland :agree:

Seem to remember an article saying he and his wife and child loved living in Edinburgh.

squire
27-01-2016, 05:10 PM

He's moved to a Serie B club in Italy.

I will miss King Dom - he didn't care about The Rangers https://youtu.be/oeauSzvGUpU

KWJ
27-01-2016, 07:00 PM

Last season he was definitely one of them. We have more options now and as much as I will miss him, he wouldn't have been starting regularly when we have Stokes and Cummings.

I do think he'd have done a great job in the Premiership though where he'd likely have been afforded more time, space and respect.

Cult hero for sure, edges it for me over Akpo Sodje.

Dashing Bob S
27-01-2016, 07:05 PM
Loved him, cult hero and terrific skill set.

Might miss his link up play against Premiership clubs like St J and Los Yambolinos, but for the Chumpionship Stokes will be far more prolific.

So I'd venture to suggest that we'll be stronger in the League, actually firing real bullets into the cannon fodder, but perhaps lack that quality unorthodox edge you need against stronger sides.

KWJ
27-01-2016, 07:06 PM
Tweet him so love.

https://twitter.com/domsmalonga?lang=en

NadeAteMyLunch!
27-01-2016, 07:18 PM

Totally disagree. He took stick at times but he received a huge amount of support and was a very popular players amongst the majority of fans

NadeAteMyLunch!
27-01-2016, 07:22 PM
Ive watched too many Hollywood films. In my head, he was going to appear on the pitch on Saturday for a lap of honour at the end of the game with the rest of the team. Sunshine on Leith would be playing and he'd be wiping tears from his eyes whilst we all throw scarfs at him. Gutted he's already in Italy [emoji20][emoji20][emoji20]

The_Sauz
27-01-2016, 07:29 PM
Seem to remember an article saying he and his wife and child loved living in Edinburgh.

I'm just going by what was said after he played in African Nations Cup for Congo! He said that he was going to visit his wife and kid in France (just outside Paris) for a few day's on his return!

HappyHanlon
27-01-2016, 07:41 PM
Not true.

Very true!

Was speaking to a couple of older fans at work today and there exact words:

"the guys was huffy, lazy and stood with his hands on his hips for most of the match"

There was group of guys continually berating him at the Raith cup game the other week. Its been mentioned before (and shot down) that it's fans over a certain age who were complaining about Dom and his style of play. Perhaps these guys were spoiled by F5 and/or Turnbulls Tornados?

SteveHFC
28-01-2016, 12:16 AM
http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac89/MonDieuHibs/HibsOfficialMalongaDeparts_zpswub23h8d.png

Just seen this on pie and bovril :faf:

Borderhibbie76
28-01-2016, 07:25 AM
What nonsense...no matter how often u repeat this doesn't make it true mate...he got more backing that even Cummings from our own support...bar a select few. Ffs even had his own song mate

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

NAE NOOKIE
28-01-2016, 12:37 PM
Very true!

Was speaking to a couple of older fans at work today and there exact words:

"the guys was huffy, lazy and stood with his hands on his hips for most of the match"

There was group of guys continually berating him at the Raith cup game the other week. Its been mentioned before (and shot down) that it's fans over a certain age who were complaining about Dom and his style of play. Perhaps these guys were spoiled by F5 and/or Turnbulls Tornados?

I'm 55 and didn't start going to ER regularly until I was 17 so I missed most of the Tornados era. But forget them and look at the best teams we have had since then, probably the McLeish and Mowbray teams. I'm sure most would agree that those teams, like the FF and Tornados, moved the ball quickly and had good energy, without much room for a Malonga.

The only Hibs player I can recall being considered lazy as opposed to just rubbish was Ally McLeod, a better player than Malonga will ever be but not much more mobile, the stick he took was unreal compared to Dom ..... Around the same time there was the short lived blaze of glory that was Morton legend Andy Ritchie, he had bags of talent, but he made Malonga look like Gattuso of AC Milan .... if he had had any sort of dynamism about him he would have been a Man Utd legend, not a Morton one, he was that good ... talented though he was Ritchie even got stick from away fans he was so lazy.

What I'm trying to say is .... This aint an old guy thing, nor is it anything new, players perceived by the fans to be lazy have always taken stick, no matter how talented.

The_Horde
28-01-2016, 12:50 PM
I'm 55 and didn't start going to ER regularly until I was 17 so I missed most of the Tornados era. But forget them and look at the best teams we have had since then, probably the McLeish and Mowbray teams. I'm sure most would agree that those teams, like the FF and Tornados, moved the ball quickly and had good energy, without much room for a Malonga.

The only Hibs player I can recall being considered lazy as opposed to just rubbish was Ally McLeod, a better player than Malonga will ever be but not much more mobile, the stick he took was unreal compared to Dom ..... Around the same time there was the short lived blaze of glory that was Morton legend Andy Ritchie, he had bags of talent, but he made Malonga look like Gattuso of AC Milan .... if he had had any sort of dynamism about him he would have been a Man Utd legend, not a Morton one, he was that good ... talented though he was Ritchie even got stick from away fans he was so lazy.

What I'm trying to say is .... This aint an old guy thing, nor is it anything new, players perceived by the fans to be lazy have always taken stick, no matter how talented.

True. Young guys around where I sit were always shouting **** sake Malonga, sometimes when he wasn't even on the pitch. So it wasn't always old codgers.

Another guy always shouts "get back Hanlon" and his pal always shouts "JASON, PASS THE BALL TO MALONGA. Wtf" I won't miss that. Not one bit

Bayern Bru
28-01-2016, 12:54 PM
Just read this - from a Hearts fan as well!

Hard to disagree with it though, really.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/hibs-fans-bid-an-emotional-farewell-to-dominique-malonga-1-4014441

NAE NOOKIE
28-01-2016, 01:07 PM

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/hibs-fans-bid-an-emotional-farewell-to-dominique-malonga-1-4014441

Hard to argue with any of that :agree:

CallumLaidlaw
28-01-2016, 01:29 PM

Yip pretty accurate. As he said, if Dom was at his best consistently, he'd be at a higher level than us. Yes he was frustrating at times. but when he was on his game, he was pretty unplayable, and a joy to watch.

Andy74
28-01-2016, 01:37 PM

I disagree with the overplaying of the inconsistency and laziness.

SonOfDavidFrancey
28-01-2016, 03:45 PM
Interesting to read about Pro Vercelli who I had never heard of. A huge club in the early days of Italian league football. Several scudetti then lost their way.

hibsbollah
28-01-2016, 06:17 PM
I disagree with the overplaying of the inconsistency and laziness.

Although the article was broadly affectionate, there were clichés aplenty. Dom never actually lit a cigar or started reading a newspaper on the field of play, despite rumours to the contrary.

jacomo
28-01-2016, 08:36 PM

With respect, I disagree. How about Latapy? Or Riordan? Great players who only want to play if they've got the ball.

Lago
29-01-2016, 12:08 PM
Pleased that Alan Stubbs has clarified Malonga's move, explaing he did try to persuade him to stay at ER, but the bid from the Italian club and that fact his wife is Italian ment he wouldn't stand in his way.:agree:

NAE NOOKIE
29-01-2016, 01:10 PM
With respect, I disagree. How about Latapy? Or Riordan? Great players who only want to play if they've got the ball.

Perhaps, but Latapy's movement was sublime and made up for any lack of energy or pace. Riordan was at the top end of a high energy team and his lack of tracking back was more than made up for by his ability to find space and finish. They both brought something to the team just about every time they played so their laid back style wasn't a big deal. I don't think the same could be said for Dom.

Stevie Reid
29-01-2016, 01:14 PM
Although the article was broadly affectionate, there were clichés aplenty. Dom never actually lit a cigar or started reading a newspaper on the field of play, despite rumours to the contrary.

It's the polar opposites that are mentioned in relation to his good attributes and performances that rankle with me - whilst there were plenty games that did pass him by, and a few sitters missed (and that incident against Hearts that is mentioned is one of the strangest and most selfish bits of play I've ever seen in a match), Dom's detractors would have people believe that there were plenty of matches where he looked like a completely hopeless footballer. That simply wasn't the case.

Andy74
29-01-2016, 01:50 PM
It's the polar opposites that are mentioned in relation to his good attributes and performances that rankle with me - whilst there were plenty games that did pass him by, and a few sitters missed (and that incident against Hearts that is mentioned is one of the strangest and most selfish bits of play I've ever seen in a match), Dom's detractors would have people believe that there were plenty of matches where he looked like a completely hopeless footballer. That simply wasn't the case.

Agree. If you go through the team he was actually one of the most consistent.

Keatings hadn't done a thing for weeks until he set up Stokes last week. Gray has been a bit better recelty but still a shadow of the player that arrived, Fontaine has struggled a bit, McGinn has dropped off and so on.

One game when Dom didn't do something brilliant and he was suddenly a waste of a jersey.

Still, we have many of our own fans that are perpetuating this so that will be the accepted fact!

BOB MARLEYS DUG
29-01-2016, 06:21 PM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/alan-stubbs-i-couldn-t-stand-in-dominique-malonga-s-way-1-4014955

Boyle89
29-01-2016, 07:52 PM
Agree. If you go through the team he was actually one of the most consistent.

Keatings hadn't done a thing for weeks until he set up Stokes last week. Gray has been a bit better recelty but still a shadow of the player that arrived, Fontaine has struggled a bit, McGinn has dropped off and so on.

One game when Dom didn't do something brilliant and he was suddenly a waste of a jersey.

Still, we have many of our own fans that are perpetuating this so that will be the accepted fact!
Sadly I agree with all of this. Spot on.

pacorosssco
29-01-2016, 08:41 PM

Lets no forget millers skol cup team and wright jackson oneil mcallister mcginley leighton team 93/94? A great team.

jacomo
29-01-2016, 08:58 PM
Perhaps, but Latapy's movement was sublime and made up for any lack of energy or pace. Riordan was at the top end of a high energy team and his lack of tracking back was more than made up for by his ability to find space and finish. They both brought something to the team just about every time they played so their laid back style wasn't a big deal. I don't think the same could be said for Dom.

I'm not saying DM was as good as those players. I am saying he is of a similar ilk.

And for me, the best Hibs teams have always had a lazy ball player in the team. :wink:

Zazu62
29-01-2016, 09:10 PM
I miss Malonga