PDA

View Full Version : Stokes Goal

spike220
25-01-2016, 07:48 AM
He made it look very easy, but how many times have we seen the ball been miss-hit or bobble along the box and out of play. Or the player was over ran the ball, or they were a yard too slow, or it was on the wrong foot.

The tap in looked easy and it was for stokes, but I think he will be huge player for us this season!

Spike Mandela
25-01-2016, 07:49 AM
Nearly scored with his first touch as well.

Danderhall Hibs
25-01-2016, 07:52 AM
He made it look very easy, but how many times have we seen the ball been miss-hit or bobble along the box and out of play. Or the player was over ran the ball, or they were a yard too slow, or it was on the wrong foot.

The tap in looked easy and it was for stokes, but I think he will be huge player for us this season!

Said similar to my daughter at the time. Feels like loads of times the ball's went shooting across the box with no one in the end of it. He made it look easy, the defender was ball watching and stokes just stepped back into space to give himself loads of space/time.

ACLeith
25-01-2016, 08:50 AM
He takes a step towards the far post before Keatings puts it across, which gives him extra time to see the ball flight and is away from the ball-watching defender. Made it look easy but that movement is the action of a predatory striker.

Brightside
25-01-2016, 08:53 AM
The build up play was exceptional and for the 2nd goal... Cummings pass for McGinns goal was perfect, as was Keatings for Stokes.

Smartie
25-01-2016, 08:56 AM
Keatings deserves great credit for that goal.

He's been off the boil for a few weeks but that was a major impact to have, great pace to get in behind their defence.

I was getting a bit twitchy just being the one goal up too, we needed it to kill the game off and settle the nerves.

Bronson
25-01-2016, 09:23 AM
It was as easy as goals get in terms of finishing, but all credit to Keatings for the build up. Lets not pretend Stokes had a lot to do in that position though.

coco22
25-01-2016, 09:39 AM
Keatings deserves great credit for that goal.

He's been off the boil for a few weeks but that was a major impact to have, great pace to get in behind their defence.

I was getting a bit twitchy just being the one goal up too, we needed it to kill the game off and settle the nerves.

Also a wee nod for the pass from Stevenson to Keatings. 2 very well worked goals

Liam89
25-01-2016, 10:09 AM
It was as easy as goals get in terms of finishing, but all credit to Keatings for the build up. Lets not pretend Stokes had a lot to do in that position though.

Yeah, I agree. I think Stokes is a great player and will be huge for us this season but let's not over analyse his role in the goal, it was a simple tap in.

lyonhibs
25-01-2016, 10:22 AM
Yeah, I agree. I think Stokes is a great player and will be huge for us this season but let's not over analyse his role in the goal, it was a simple tap in.

:agree: :agree:

Think folk may be getting a bit frothy over Stokes here. My Maw could have finished that from there.

Still, right place, right time is a skill unto itself and one he's certainly got in abundance.

Sas_The_Hibby
25-01-2016, 10:30 AM

Think folk may be getting a bit frothy over Stokes here. My Maw could have finished that from there.

Still, right place, right time is a skill unto itself and one he's certainly got in abundance.

Can you get your maw registered to play by Saturday? :greengrin

GreenArmyyy!
25-01-2016, 10:32 AM
Best goal you'll see all season, what a finish! 😉

lyonhibs
25-01-2016, 10:59 AM
Can you get your maw registered to play by Saturday? :greengrin

She'd nip everyone's heid well before kick off.

Has been known, when I was watching Man U vs Barca a few years ago at home, to come in, watch for 3 minutes before opining "Come on, that's ridiculous, I could do better than that" at a misplaced pass or similar :grr::grr:

HappyHanlon
25-01-2016, 11:05 AM
A simple tap in perhaps but I seem to recall a certain cart horse missing a similar chance against the poppy stealers.

thebakerboy
25-01-2016, 11:44 AM
Someone asked me on the way out on Saturday if Jason would have scored that goal. My answer was probably but he my have just arrived and bundled it in whereas Stokes was standing waiting for it , difference is experience , think in a couple of years Jason will be scoring it like Stokes.

hibbysam
25-01-2016, 11:55 AM
A simple tap in perhaps but I seem to recall a certain cart horse missing a similar chance against the poppy stealers.

I have never, ever, seen any Hibernian player miss from 2 feet out, in the middle of the goal, with the ball on his foot!

iwasthere1972
25-01-2016, 12:12 PM
I have never, ever, seen any Hibernian player miss from 2 feet out, in the middle of the goal, with the ball on his foot!

About the closest to that would have been Edwin de Graaf against Rangers on the opening day of the new East Stand. I was sure that the ball was going in that day.

blackpoolhibs
25-01-2016, 12:19 PM
Good goal scorers make it look easy, stokes does this. :top marks

25-01-2016, 12:21 PM
Delighted Stokes got a goal on his first appearance but as mentioned above lets not over think it, it was an open goal tap in that anybody could/SHOULD score. If he had missed it it would probably of ended up on soccer am's taxi or something lol.

speedy_gonzales
25-01-2016, 12:26 PM
A few years back now, but did Agathe not make a tremendous run then miss a sitter against THEM?

My_Wife_Camille
25-01-2016, 12:30 PM
A few years back now, but did Agathe not make a tremendous run then miss a sitter against THEM?
Malonga missed a shocker against Livi earlier this season from a similar position. Ivan Sproule against Arbroath also rings a bell

Edson Arantes
25-01-2016, 12:42 PM

Cummings, Stokes and Mrs Lyon up front against the yams please.:aok:

--------
25-01-2016, 12:58 PM

Aye, but I saw a couple of instances on MotD where the ball was bouncing around the 6-yard box like the ball in a pin-ball machine and no one had the composure to just put it over the goal line. Stokes has that - he's a predator. I just hope he continues from where he's started.

If he scores goals for us and does himself a favour in the process...

He's a class striker who shouldn't be sitting on the bench week in week out.

SouthMoroccoStu
25-01-2016, 01:12 PM
Away from his goal, I thought the midfield pass he played into Fyvie was fantastic

There's no doubt he can finish in front of goal but this is only part of what he'll be able to offer this team

:flag:

hibbypostie
25-01-2016, 01:16 PM
Away from his goal, I thought the midfield pass he played into Fyvie was fantastic

There's no doubt he can finish in front of goal but this is only part of what he'll be able to offer this team

:flag:

was a great pass

cam75
25-01-2016, 01:16 PM

Think the grass was to long🙈

Franck Stanton
25-01-2016, 01:40 PM

Probably could, but.........has yer maw got the experience and ability to be there in the first place to have the simple tap-in ?. That's the difference, Stokes anticipates where the ball will be played and makes sure he is there to do the needful. You will/should have noticed that in the past we didn't have a player making that run/taking up that position so Keats/anyone else wouldn't have had the option of squaring the ball for the easy tap-in.

In short, the skill wasn't in the easy tap-in but in the presence of mind to be in the correct position to do it.