PDA

View Full Version : Harry Swan.

Thecat23
24-01-2016, 09:25 PM
After watching the Alba famous Five documentary I thought this man deserved a thread of its own. What vision this guy had for Hibs, to bring a team like that together and have that bond is something very special.

He set the bar for what Hibernian were all about and believed in his own ideas while convincing others to believe with him.

Thank you Harry Swan, you put Hibs firmly on the map and built a team that is still talked about by so many football fans not just Hibs fans.

Team spirit is as important in my book as much as talent is. A strong bond in the team means they fight for each other, work hard for each other, and stand tall when up against it. I hope we are seeing something built at ER today that will drag us out the dark times and back to where we belong.

Let's believe in our team just like our very own Harry Swan did many years ago.

Nakedmanoncrack
24-01-2016, 10:04 PM
Unfortunately the Celtic inspired myths about Harry Swan the 'anti-Irish bigot' have been repeated so much they've become accepted by many, despite no evidence that I can see of any truth.

Diclonius
24-01-2016, 10:36 PM
You're not allowed to like Harry Swan, Celtic say so.

Thecat23
24-01-2016, 10:42 PM
You're not allowed to like Harry Swan, Celtic say so.

We all know what Celtic can do 😁

G-Reg
24-01-2016, 11:49 PM
I read some stuff about Harry a few years back and was blown away by how forward thinking he was for his era! Apparently when he sent the squad to Brazil they had 3 different types of boots to choose from depending on how hard the surface was and different thicknesses of kit to help playing in different weather conditions. He inspired me soo much I changed my Fantasy football team name to Harry Swan's heroes but it's not brought me any success yet.

Scorrie
25-01-2016, 06:01 AM
Again after watching last night, should we have some permanent memorial for Hugh Shaw? After all he won three league titles. A stand at ER for example?

Forza Fred
25-01-2016, 06:22 AM
While history would appear to be kind to Harry Swan, the man who incidentally, agreed that Hibs play off against Roma would be played in Italy for more financial return, and refused Joe Baker's 'demand' for an extra fiver a week, thus ensuring he was transferred to Torino....I can still remember standing behind the goals at the bottom of the slope, singing along with everybody else..."We want Swan with a rope around his neck...."

Remember well singing it...just can't recall unfortunately the cause of the rendition.

So, he was not always revered by the fans of the day in such saint like fashion.

G-Reg
25-01-2016, 07:57 AM
While history would appear to be kind to Harry Swan, the man who incidentally, agreed that Hibs play off against Roma would be played in Italy for more financial return, and refused Joe Baker's 'demand' for an extra fiver a week, thus ensuring he was transferred to Torino....I can still remember standing behind the goals at the bottom of the slope, singing along with everybody else..."We want Swan with a rope around his neck...."

Remember well singing it...just can't recall unfortunately the cause of the rendition.

So, he was not always revered by the fans of the day in such saint like fashion.

It's great to hear stories and memories from people who experienced this chapter of our history. I love listening to my dad's accounts on this important time in the clubs past

greenpaper55
25-01-2016, 07:58 AM
I remember towards the end of his tenure he became a hate figure, he might have been forward thinking regarding the use of floodlights etc but he turned into a penny pincher which almost saw the club relegated in the early sixties, sound familiar ?

lucky
25-01-2016, 08:06 AM
I was surprised to hear that he was the first non-Catholic to join the board. There will be lots of stories about him which will have a sectarian undertone. Thankfully our club has moved on from that kind of stuff

jdships
25-01-2016, 08:34 AM
I remember towards the end of his tenure he became a hate figure, he might have been forward thinking regarding the use of floodlights etc but he turned into a penny pincher which almost saw the club relegated in the early sixties, sound familiar ?

I too remember exactly the same situation
In hindsight ( always brilliant !) we the punters wern't seeining the bigger picture
Todays generation owe HS a massive thankyou for what he achieved in those halcyon days
I for one loved them !!
:flag:

lapsedhibee
25-01-2016, 08:39 AM

"Humour prevailed; there was no violence, nor did it occur to the crowd to be more than verbally and wittily ribald to opposing supporters. The chairman of Hibernian Football Club, the late and great Harry Swan, had his birth certificate at the ready to wave to any of the crowd who, as a ritual when things were going badly for Hibs, would shout epithets casting doubt on Swan's parentage."

CRAZYHIBBY
25-01-2016, 10:27 AM
Did the programme have subs

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-01-2016, 10:32 AM

Don't think they were allowed back then. :-)

G-Reg
25-01-2016, 10:38 AM

Yeah it does and a good chunk of it was in English too. Great show