PDA

View Full Version : Goalkeeping Experts

theonlywayisup
24-01-2016, 08:28 AM
We seem to have an awful lot of goalkeeping experts on Hibs.net, which is great to know. Most are saying that Oxley's positioning is poor for the goal against St Mirren. Even Cliff on Hibs TV was saying it was suspect.

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/tv/freeview

So where should he be positioned?

I was right behind the play in the Famous Five. He had the wall positioned to protect the right hand side of the goal, whilst he positioned himself to protect the left hand side. The St Mirren player chips the ball over the wall to the space that Oxley had vacated and the result is a goal. What should Oxley have done differently? Had he gone more to his right, would his view then not have been blocked out by the wall and he would have left too large a gap on the left.

If your going to say his positioning looked suspect, please explain why?

Pretty Boy
24-01-2016, 08:31 AM
I've played in goals since I was about 4 at varying levels and I thought his positioning was fine.

When I see a keeper lose a goal I always ask myself if I'd blame myself if I lost it (most keepers are huge self critics). I wouldn't have accepted blame for the goal we lost yesterday.

hibbysam
24-01-2016, 08:36 AM
We seem to have an awful lot of goalkeeping experts on Hibs.net, which is great to know. Most are saying that Oxley's positioning is poor for the goal against St Mirren. Even Cliff on Hibs TV was saying it was suspect.

I was right behind the play in the Famous Five. He had the wall positioned to protect the right hand side of the goal, whilst he positioned himself to protect the left hand side. The St Mirren player chips the ball over the wall to the space that Oxley had vacated and the result is a goal. What should Oxley have done differently? Had he gone more to his right, would his view then not have been blocked out by the wall and he would have left too large a gap on the left.

Once a player beats the wall, especially from so close in, the keeper is always going to be in trouble. He has to cover the side he did, if he didn't the player has a free shot without a wall into that corner, he has to trust that a) the player isn't good enough to get the ball up and down from there or b) the wall will stop it at that side. Once the ball is past the wall it is very difficult for the keeper to stop.

Clangers on the other hand, although a great strike, should never be getting beat from that angle into that corner!

Scottie
24-01-2016, 08:39 AM
Ox was fine IMO the player score a fine goal just like Hendersons up the other end.

Wonder if the St Midden fans are discussing the same issue on their site. :rolleyes:

hugo boss
24-01-2016, 08:41 AM
Ox was fine IMO the player score a fine goal just like Hendersons up the other end.

Wonder if the St Midden fans are discussing the same issue on their site. :rolleyes:

Saints fans were blaming langfield

Scottie
24-01-2016, 08:42 AM
All 300 of them ?

andrew70
24-01-2016, 08:43 AM
Oxley is an easy target for the boo-boys unfortunately!

He's a young goalkeeper who will make mistakes, he never yesterday, but they all do at somepoint.

Plus he's been in fine form for us considering several wanted him punted in the first couple weeks of the season.

sleeping giant
24-01-2016, 08:45 AM
Would it not be easier for a goaly if we didn't set up a wall and just cleared everyone out of the way and say have a shot then?

Leithenhibby
24-01-2016, 08:46 AM

Sometimes, we just need to put our hands up and give (in this instance) credit to the Saints player for his effort! :agree:

Pretty Boy
24-01-2016, 08:51 AM
Would it not be easier for a goaly if we didn't set up a wall and just cleared everyone out of the way and say have a shot then?

The wall adds the element of difficulty in that a player has to get the ball up and down quickly.

A few years back Nicky Weaver made a big thing about not having a wall against Man Utd and if he could see a free kick he would save it. David Beckham duly banged 1 into the top corner from 30 yards in the 1st 15 minutes.

lucky
24-01-2016, 08:56 AM
I'm not a big Oxley fan, think Hibs could do better, at the game yesterday I did not think he was at fault but having seen the goal on TV he is a yard or so to far over to his left. But even then I'm not sure he'd have saved it but he did leave a big gap for the Saints player to aim at.

Is Alan Combe still the goalkeeper coach at Hibs? Don't recall seeing for a while.

superfurryhibby
24-01-2016, 08:59 AM
I think it's OK for fans to give their views on a fans forum. No expert knowledge needed, otherwise who would be qualified to comment on anything?

I do agree that folk have a tendency to state an opinion with no qualification as to why they think it, like the thread on the red. He was good today because........... replied to with. Naw he was *****.

Having looked at the goal a few times, I reckon the Ox will think he might have done better. If he was a step to closer to th middle, then he may have got decent contact on the ball and saved it. That's my view as a simple fan.

My observation is based on having attended hundreds of football games, played hundreds of games no generally being immersed in football for the past half century. Is is really necessary to have to state this? I think not, just like "goalkeeping experts" . That's unless you're seeking a reaction? Which, it has to be said, is a stance that fuels a lot of posts on here TBF.

NORTHERNHIBBY
24-01-2016, 09:00 AM
I would rather look at the outfield 10 and ask them how many of them don't know the cliché about losing a goal just after scoring

Scouse Hibee
24-01-2016, 09:03 AM
My Lad was questioning Oxleys position before the kick was taken and said where it was going,he was right.

hugo boss
24-01-2016, 09:05 AM
I'm not a big Oxley fan, think Hibs could do better, at the game yesterday I did not think he was at fault but having seen the goal on TV he is a yard or so to far over to his left. But even then I'm not sure he'd have saved it but he did leave a big gap for the Saints player to aim at.

Is Alan Combe still the goalkeeper coach at Hibs? Don't recall seeing for a while.

Yip he is there out every half time with oaxley 5 or 6 mins before the players come out. Know his cousin well and family alan is a big hibby

blaikie
24-01-2016, 09:07 AM
Looks like we have signed some backup to the Ox!

Finnish goalkeeper on a 3 year deal :)

ozwoody
I've played in goals all my life and coach up to state level.
The tv angle isnt great but it looks like the wall is a little to central,possibly by a step.this pushes oxley that step nearer his left hand post,meaning he has given himself a hell of a lot to do.
That said,to get the ball up and down in 22yards is a hard discipline .just gotta take hat off and give the goalscorer a round of applause

hugo boss
All 300 of them ?

Aye ha ha

MWHIBBIES
24-01-2016, 09:14 AM
If the wall jumps we don't concede, nothing to do with Oxley.

Allant1981
24-01-2016, 09:21 AM
I also played in goals, albeit sunday league and for me he was to far to his left, possibly only one step, but fair play to the guy taking it as it was a good hit but he had a big space to aim for

hugo boss
24-01-2016, 09:22 AM
If the wall jumps we don't concede, nothing to do with Oxley.

Disagree mate

blackpoolhibs
24-01-2016, 09:27 AM
Ask yourself where the ball enters the net, its not in the corner its a couple of feet inside the post. You dont need to be a goalkeeping expert to see with your own eyes he should have done better.

He's a little too far to his left when positioning himself before the free kick.

He also takes a step to the left which stops him moving his feet quickly enough to go right and get across the line.

A goalkeeping expert would say the same.

gaz1875
24-01-2016, 09:35 AM
I've played in goals all my life and coach up to state level.
The tv angle isnt great but it looks like the wall is a little to central,possibly by a step.this pushes oxley that step nearer his left hand post,meaning he has given himself a hell of a lot to do.
That said,to get the ball up and down in 22yards is a hard discipline .just gotta take hat off and give the goalscorer a round of applause

I said the same this morning about the wall, if you line the ball with the penalty spot, the wall is almost middle if anything a shade to Oxley's right, I feel he over compensated to the left side, I said it before the guy took the free kick he was too far over, but I ain't a goalkeeper, it was just my observation at the match and having seen it on TV. That aside Oxley has been okay this season we have a great defensive record and he is part of that.

MWHIBBIES
24-01-2016, 09:40 AM
Disagree mateWhy? It is the walls job to protect that side, only Cummings jumped and it went to his right. If Henderson and the rest all jump they stop the ball, simple.

Smartie
24-01-2016, 09:55 AM
Is it the positioning or is he a bit slow to get across? I've just watched Joe Hart make a great save from a free-kick on Goals on Sunday when he flies across his line and claws it off the line just inside the post on the wall side.

That's 4 goals we've lost from free-kicks that I can think of this season - 2 v Rangers (inc one in the diddy cup) 1 v Dumbarton and another 1 yesterday.

That seems quite high to me.

From memory they (apart from the one at Ibrox) seem to have been at the "wall side" with Ox clutching at air as he falls just short of being able to make it across.

TBF I haven't ever really thought at the time any of them were goalkeeping mistakes, more that they were decent strikes.

wookie70
24-01-2016, 09:59 AM
I think the biggest problem was that the taller players were on the west stand side of the wall. Not sure about Mark's positioning but the ball is only 2 or 3 foot off the pitch when it goes over the line. That makes me think it wasn't very firmly struck as the free kick was pretty close in. It looked a good free kick and the keeper never covered himself in glory but not to the point it was his fault. I would say the defender who stupidly gave the free kick away at such an important time and in an important area is far more culpable.

blackpoolhibs
24-01-2016, 10:08 AM
https://www.facebook.com/HibernianRetro/videos/891103644338465/?theater

The ball is nearer the middle of the goal than i originally thought.

MWHIBBIES
24-01-2016, 10:30 AM
Is it the positioning or is he a bit slow to get across? I've just watched Joe Hart make a great save from a free-kick on Goals on Sunday when he flies across his line and claws it off the line just inside the post on the wall side.

That's 4 goals we've lost from free-kicks that I can think of this season - 2 v Rangers (inc one in the diddy cup) 1 v Dumbarton and another 1 yesterday.

That seems quite high to me.

From memory they (apart from the one at Ibrox) seem to have been at the "wall side" with Ox clutching at air as he falls just short of being able to make it across.

TBF I haven't ever really thought at the time any of them were goalkeeping mistakes, more that they were decent strikes.Further out and only 1 clear place Payet can score, if Ox is central the guy just hammers it in his side because it is so close.

hibbysam
24-01-2016, 10:34 AM
Having watched that again, Oxley is one step towards the post from the middle of the goal, a keeper would normally actually be further than that to cover 'his' side, for a free kick so close in I haven't a clue why you wouldn't put your taller men in the wall, Hanlon, Fontaine, Bartley, the ball is not going to be crossed from there so no need to have them in the middle and imagin, from 22 yards, having to get it up and over 6 foot 4 defenders! It's far more to do with the wall than it is the goalkeeper.

Silky
24-01-2016, 10:42 AM
It was a good free kick from Mallan. At the end of the day it didn't affect the outcome. Cummings miss against Falkirk when clean through, on the other hand, could have more consequences for our season than Oxley losing that goal.

hibsbollah
24-01-2016, 10:48 AM
It's common for pundits, whether Alan Hansen, Cliff Pike or AN Other in the pub, to try to find 'mistakes' in defense that led to a goal, and of course ALL goals could hypothetically be prevented by better defending. But sometimes you have to credit the attacker.

Big_Franck
24-01-2016, 10:59 AM
https://www.facebook.com/HibernianRetro/videos/891103644338465/?theater

The ball is nearer the middle of the goal than i originally thought.

That video confirms what I thought originally, he was too far to the left when the free kick was taken. Originally his positioning was fine but just before its taken he moves further to the left giving him no chance when it goes over the wall.

Glad to see we've signed another keeper.

emerald green
24-01-2016, 10:59 AM
I'm no "expert", and like most posters have never claimed to be. What do you need to be or have done to qualify as an "expert"? I just base my comments on having played or watched football for over 50 years.

It looks clear to me Oxley was positioned far too far over to his left. I said that at the game as the free kick was about to be taken, and said exactly where the ball was going to go as a result.

I take it that anyone who makes a comment (positive or negative) about any player on this forum has to be a proven "expert" before doing so from now on? :rolleyes:

hibsbollah
24-01-2016, 11:08 AM
I'm no "expert", and like most posters have never claimed to be. What do you need to be or have done to qualify as an "expert"? I just base my comments on having played or watched football for over 50 years.

It looks clear to me Oxley was positioned far too far over to his left. I said that at the game as the free kick was about to be taken, and said exactly where the ball was going to go as a result.

I take it that anyone who makes a comment (positive or negative) about any player on this forum has to be a proven "expert" before doing so from now on? :rolleyes:

No, but as Pretty Boy says, why don't you tell where Oxley SHOULD have positioned himself instead?

The_Horde
24-01-2016, 11:14 AM
I don't think he's that terribly positioned, touch too far to the left maybe. But that's no excuse for not being able to get across. The boys done well to get it up and over but there was virtually no pace on it and it wasn't in the corner.

I noticed Fontaine have a pop at him after it as well, as he has done before.

Watch Hendersons free kick against livi. The goalie nearly gets there and it's right in the top corner with a bit more pace.

A good keeper would have saved that yesterday.

Eyrie
24-01-2016, 11:18 AM
No-one ever criticises the keeper's positioning when the free kick fails to hit the target, so it's easy to be wise after the event.

I'm smart enough to know I'm not an expert but Oxley's positioning looks fine to me. Instead I'll give credit to their player for successfully getting the ball over the wall and back down before it reached the line, which is a very difficult thing to do.

As an aside, why it we praise Cummings and Malonga for the quality of their goals and never ask if the opposing keeper could have done better?

Spike Mandela
24-01-2016, 11:23 AM
If nobody made mistakes in footbal there would never be any goals....EVER.

For me the bigger mistake was the silly tackle by Bartley that led to the foul.

emerald green
24-01-2016, 11:30 AM
No, but as Pretty Boy says, why don't you tell where Oxley SHOULD have positioned himself instead?

Seems to me Oxley shouldn't have been so far over to his left. I would say maybe another pace over to his right? It would, I think, have given him a better chance of saving what was a well struck shot IMHO. He might have saved it, he might not.

Having watched it on TV the size of the space where the St Mirren player placed his shot just looks far too big, and it was obvious to me that's where he was going to place his shot. I watched him closely lining up his shot while the defensive wall was getting set up, and said at the match that's where it was going to go.

Is that OK now? Just my opinion.

PiemanP
24-01-2016, 11:32 AM
Positioning is fine. He's just too slow to get down.

leggeto
24-01-2016, 11:37 AM
Not seen the freekick but if the boy gets it up and over the wall into the net then good on him,keeper should be covering the exposed side off centre

hibsbollah
24-01-2016, 11:41 AM
Seems to me Oxley shouldn't have been so far over to his left. I would say maybe another pace over to his right? It would, I think, have given him a better chance of saving what was a well struck shot IMHO. He might have saved it, he might not.

Having watched it on TV the size of the space where the St Mirren player placed his shot just looks far too big, and it was obvious to me that's where he was going to place his shot. I watched him closely lining up his shot while the defensive wall was getting set up, and said at the match that's where it was going to go.

...in which case, he's leaving his left exposed which is NOT protected by the wall. Let's face it, it's all because we have the benefit of hindsight which Oxley doesn't have! Especially when you're talking about 'one pace' either side.

emerald green
24-01-2016, 11:56 AM
...in which case, he's leaving his left exposed which is NOT protected by the wall. Let's face it, it's all because we have the benefit of hindsight which Oxley doesn't have! Especially when you're talking about 'one pace' either side.

It wasn't with the benefit of hindsight that I said before the free kick was taken yesterday that it was going to go into that side of the goal. That was because it was obvious that was where the shot was going to go due to the large gap available to place the shot. I disagree that he's leaving his left exposed just by moving another pace over to his right.

A goalkeeper has to get his positioning as accurate as possible to defend a free kick from that dangerous area. I just feel he didn't get that quite as good as it should have been yesterday.

We'll need to agree to disagree on this one.

BTW Oxley has generally been good all season so far, albeit in most games he's had practically nothing to do. Yesterday being a classic case. He didn't even have to deal with a single corner all match. That's probably due to a combination of have good defenders in front of him and pretty weak opposition in the Championship apart from The Rangers and Falkirk. He also had clean sheets against Aberdeen and Dundee Utd this season.

Borderhibbie76
24-01-2016, 12:01 PM
Instead of critisizing the Ox for the goal, why not have a go at Bartley for the clumsy tackle in first place. oh thats right Ox is a scapegoat for some whilst Bartley is a fans favourite. Incidentally i rate them both but some forget the Ox has been great for us this season

Smartie
24-01-2016, 12:04 PM
Instead of critisizing the Ox for the goal, why not have a go at Bartley for the clumsy tackle in first place. oh thats right Ox is a scapegoat for some whilst Bartley is a fans favourite. Incidentally i rate them both but some forget the Ox has been great for us this season

Fair point.

Did Bartley not cost us before with a cheap foul outside the box (maybe it was Dumbarton)?

allezsauzee
24-01-2016, 12:08 PM

I agree with all your points and I think Oxley is the best keeper we've had for years. Not sure why so many people seem determined to criticise any mistakes (or supposed mistakes) and forget about the great saves he makes.

Borderhibbie76
24-01-2016, 12:10 PM
Fair point.

Did Bartley not cost us before with a cheap foul outside the box (maybe it was Dumbarton)?
Yes I think your right mate...it was a needless foul yesterday

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
24-01-2016, 12:11 PM
I agree with all your points and I think Oxley is the best keeper we've had for years. Not sure why so many people seem determined to criticise any mistakes (or supposed mistakes) and forget about the great saves he makes.
Even just last week he had 2 or 3 great save at Falkirk. ..best we have had in a long time IMO but some people seem determined to criticise him constantly.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

lucky
24-01-2016, 12:15 PM
I don't think anyone is making Oxley the scapegoat but his positioning was wrong in the opinion of many on here. Bartley made two stupid tackles which caused fouls close to our goal. Personally I thought he was Hibs worst player yesterday. He's a squad player at best. Can't see him getting near the team if Thompson and McGeough are fit

Thecat23
24-01-2016, 12:16 PM
At the time I thought it was just a very good free kick. Didn't think Oxley was at fault. After seeing the highlights he's just a yard to far to his left I think as the ball didn't go into the corner as I first thought.

Still think it was a good free kick to be fair but id be surprised if Oxley wasn't disappointed himself with it.

But it's not a howler or anything like that. He's a good keeper and done well this season.

Scouse Hibee
24-01-2016, 12:18 PM
No-one ever criticises the keeper's positioning when the free kick fails to hit the target, so it's easy to be wise after the event.

I'm smart enough to know I'm not an expert but Oxley's positioning looks fine to me. Instead I'll give credit to their player for successfully getting the ball over the wall and back down before it reached the line, which is a very difficult thing to do.

As an aside, why it we praise Cummings and Malonga for the quality of their goals and never ask if the opposing keeper could have done better?

No, people at the game were criticising his position before it was taken so you are wrong.

NadeAteMyLunch!
24-01-2016, 12:54 PM
I'd like to see someone on the post in that situation. Of course that can allow attackers to flood into the box but I doubt that would have happened yesterday. He was shooting for goal regardless. A player on the line would simply have knocked it away. Wouldn't always work of course. Don't think Ox did much wrong

Unseen work
24-01-2016, 01:24 PM

Henderson scrored at langfields side

PISTOL1875
24-01-2016, 01:36 PM
Yip he is there out every half time with oaxley 5 or 6 mins before the players come out. Know his cousin well and family alan is a big hibby

That Nicky Combe ??

inglisavhibs
24-01-2016, 04:45 PM
It wasn't with the benefit of hindsight that I said before the free kick was taken yesterday that it was going to go into that side of the goal. That was because it was obvious that was where the shot was going to go due to the large gap available to place the shot. I disagree that he's leaving his left exposed just by moving another pace over to his right.

A goalkeeper has to get his positioning as accurate as possible to defend a free kick from that dangerous area. I just feel he didn't get that quite as good as it should have been yesterday.

We'll need to agree to disagree on this one.

BTW Oxley has generally been good all season so far, albeit in most games he's had practically nothing to do. Yesterday being a classic case. He didn't even have to deal with a single corner all match. That's probably due to a combination of have good defenders in front of him and pretty weak opposition in the Championship apart from The Rangers and Falkirk. He also had clean sheets against Aberdeen and Dundee Utd this season.
Yes he was A half yard or so too far to his left and if he took a small step to his left just before the kick he gave himself too much ground to make up. That said I like Oxley a lot and feel we have a goalkeeper with a real presence for a change. The main fault at the goal was the silly foul that Barley gave away in that dangerous position.

marinello59
24-01-2016, 04:52 PM
Yes he was A half yard or so too far to his left and if he took a small step to his left just before the kick

Oxley should be made to do the Timewarp at training. Sorted.

blackpoolhibs
24-01-2016, 04:54 PM

That bloody song drives me insane.

dmc1875
24-01-2016, 05:07 PM
I was right behind it in the FF and everyone around me was saying the set up of the wall was leaving it "easier" to get it up and over.

I agree the wall made it easy, but fair play to get it up and over.

However it was nowhere near the corner. Oxley I thoufht positionally was ok but got done from his experience with the free kick in the first couple of minutes thinking the guy might try his near post.

He took a step to his left which was the issue and he's slow to get down. Third or fourth time we have condceded free kicks like that this season we need to work on the wall positioning

Danderhall Hibs
24-01-2016, 05:12 PM

That bloody song drives me insane.

Quality guys. :top marks

hugo boss
24-01-2016, 07:04 PM

Agreed

hugo boss
24-01-2016, 07:07 PM
That Nicky Combe ??

Yes sits in famous 5 upper , good player in his day from what I mind.

PISTOL1875
24-01-2016, 07:33 PM
Yes sits in famous 5 upper , good player in his day from what I mind.

yeh I know Combey.. He's a great guy but daft as a brush , that sound about right ??

I work beside Davie Balfour , you know him ??

KWJ
25-01-2016, 08:39 PM
Having watched that again, Oxley is one step towards the post from the middle of the goal, a keeper would normally actually be further than that to cover 'his' side, for a free kick so close in I haven't a clue why you wouldn't put your taller men in the wall, Hanlon, Fontaine, Bartley, the ball is not going to be crossed from there so no need to have them in the middle and imagin, from 22 yards, having to get it up and over 6 foot 4 defenders! It's far more to do with the wall than it is the goalkeeper.

Agreed with this but checked it back and both Hanlon and Bartley were in the wall. Looked like it went over the head of Cummings.

hibbysam
25-01-2016, 09:21 PM
Agreed with this but checked it back and both Hanlon and Bartley were in the wall. Looked like it went over the head of Cummings.

It's the one thing I didn't check so I stand corrected!