PDA

View Full Version : Paul Hanlon

matty_f
23-01-2016, 09:03 PM
First class again today. He is a cracking player, don't really see a weakness in his game at the moment.

greenlex
23-01-2016, 09:06 PM
He was Magnificent Matty.

truehibernian
23-01-2016, 09:07 PM
Have to agree - I've eaten two seasons on humble pie matty - revamped player and to be brutally honest, he's under the radar of clubs - thankfully.

KWJ
23-01-2016, 09:07 PM
Would like to tie him up on another long term deal for his best years. If he continues to progress he should be pushing for the Scotland squad next season.

Danderhall Hibs
23-01-2016, 09:08 PM
Strolled it.

matty_f
23-01-2016, 09:09 PM
Have to agree - I've eaten two seasons on humble pie matty - revamped player and to be brutally honest, he's under the radar of clubs - thankfully.

I thought Hanlon's injury in the relegation season had a huge impact on us. We definitely play better with Paul in the team.

Libby Hibby
23-01-2016, 09:10 PM
Outstanding today and has been all season - And that's coming from his biggest critic

Oscar T Grouch
23-01-2016, 09:11 PM
I hope we've offered him a decent contract. His current one is up in the summer so essentially he is free to talk to other clubs now. I think he is only going to get better and should be in our squad after June.

marinello59
He's a modern day footballing defender. We're lucky to have him.

inglisavhibs
First class again today. He is a cracking player, don't really see a weakness in his game at the moment.
Amazed we still have him to be honest.

Aldo
23-01-2016, 09:12 PM
Always has been a superb player IMHO.

Carried a number of fellow CH's in his time at which his own game has suffered.

Hopefully continue to play for us and has been a great servant!

DaveF
23-01-2016, 09:16 PM
He's been superb lately and I'd be delighted if he signed a new contract with us.

However, he might have better options available to him now - would certainly like to know if we are talking to him about a new deal.

Pretty Boy
23-01-2016, 09:17 PM
Classy defender.

He's still only in his early - mid 20s as well which I think is often forgotten.

Billy Whizz
23-01-2016, 09:18 PM
Classy defender.

He's still only in his early - mid 20s as well which I think is often forgotten.

He was 26 this week, still to hit his prime

matty_f
23-01-2016, 09:19 PM
He's been superb lately and I'd be delighted if he signed a new contract with us.

However, he might have better options available to him now - would certainly like to know if we are talking to him about a new deal.

:agree: Would hope we've got a good offer on the table for him.

greenlex
23-01-2016, 09:21 PM
Classy defender.

Yup PB and he's just about to hit his prime for a defender. I'd be surprised if we can keep him. He has matured into a fantastic ball playing very accomplished defender.

S4uzee
23-01-2016, 09:23 PM
I think he's playing the best football of his Hibs career atm

HibbyAndy
23-01-2016, 09:36 PM
Absolutely strolled it today

Ozyhibby
23-01-2016, 09:38 PM
He has improved his strength massively over the last two seasons. Doesn't get bullied anymore.
Excellent today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aldo
23-01-2016, 09:39 PM
I think he's playing the best football of his Hibs career atm

Agreed but that's tantamount to the others around them playing their part allowing PH to concentrate on his job.

SherbetFountain
23-01-2016, 09:50 PM
He has improved his strength massively over the last two seasons. Doesn't get bullied anymore.
Excellent today.

Said exactly the same today! Doesn't get bullied any more, reads the game superbly, comfortable with both feet and don't think there is a better footballing CH in Scottish football at the moment! Sign him up pronto!

Hibby Bairn
23-01-2016, 09:53 PM
Aye. Good player. But let's not forget he is playing in the 2nd division against QOS, Livingston, Morton, Alloa etc.

So he really should be strolling it.

NadeAteMyLunch!
23-01-2016, 10:00 PM
Superb today and deserved a goal second half. Get him signed up again!

ALF TUPPER
23-01-2016, 10:03 PM
What happened with him and Thompson today.

I must have missed something - David Gray seemed to be telling Paul to leave it. He looked like he wanted to burst Thompson at one point.

truehibernian
23-01-2016, 10:05 PM
Excellent today.

I actually think he's been coached properly last two seasons - something lacking previous 5 !

He looks assured and composed - credit to Subbs I'd say.

Golden Bear
23-01-2016, 10:07 PM
The laddy is now a man. Simples.

3pm
23-01-2016, 10:08 PM
How's the 3 year contract coming along?

hibbysam
23-01-2016, 10:10 PM
Aye. Good player. But let's not forget he is playing in the 2nd division against QOS, Livingston, Morton, Alloa etc.

So he really should be strolling it.

And Hearts last year, and Rangers, and Aberdeen and Dundee United in cups! He has strolled it against the lot of them, your Sow's, Zeefuik's, Miller, Boyd, Rooney etc have all come up against Hanlon and he has not looked out of place against any of them!

Heisenberg
23-01-2016, 10:12 PM
The best defender we've got. Praying we get him on a new contract.

wookie70
23-01-2016, 10:18 PM
I have always rated him but he did take time to gain strength and most importantly start to bully attackers. He was good before Stubbs came in but there has been a big improvement in the last year and a half. There aren't many ball winning, positionally astute defenders who are good with the ball at their feet. I doubt we could afford one if we let Paul's contract run out so his and JCs contracts must be tied up soon. Offer them some security and a good few quid more I suspect speculation with those players will lead to accumulation of both points and pounds.

Centre Hawf
23-01-2016, 10:18 PM
Paul for me is the best defender in this division and would be high on the list for the premiership too. Im a great admirer of him and really hope Paul either stays at the club for the entirety of his career or gets his big move that he would be so deserving off. Preter the former option though.

Argylehibby
23-01-2016, 10:21 PM
And Hearts last year, and Rangers, and Aberdeen and Dundee United in cups! He has strolled it against the lot of them, your Sow's, Zeefuik's, Miller, Boyd, Rooney etc have all come up against Hanlon and he has not looked out of place against any of them!

:top marks best player we have at Easter Rd.

lyonhibs
23-01-2016, 10:23 PM
After the rank teams he's had the misfortune to have to put up with, I hope he gets his moment in the sun with this one

Boyle89
24-01-2016, 12:20 AM
I love Paul hanlon! Today he just completely bossed it. So unlucky not to score at least one.

The Harp Awakes
24-01-2016, 12:21 AM
He deserves a decent contract offer from Hibs. Would be gutted to lose him. Classy defender.

pedroorange1875
24-01-2016, 12:52 AM
He is playing in the championship, I'm not sure the high praise is that warranted for a player who was often found wanting, sometimes badly in a poor SPL. Ill reserve judgement when he is playing top flight football next season. Agree he is having a good season.

marinello59
24-01-2016, 01:00 AM
He is playing in the championship, I'm not sure the high praise is that warranted for a player who was often found wanting, sometimes badly in a poor SPL. Ill reserve judgement when he is playing top flight football next season. Agree he is having a good season.

If he had stayed fit in a "poor SPL" we might not have been relegated.
How do you think McGinn, Henderson etc are doing in the championship or do you judge them by different rules than Hanlon.

matty_f
24-01-2016, 01:05 AM

He was rarely found wanting in our last top flight season.

Stevie Reid
24-01-2016, 01:05 AM

Completely agree. Superb again.

pedroorange1875
24-01-2016, 01:06 AM
If he had stayed fit in a "poor SPL" we might not have been relegated.
How do you think McGinn, Henderson etc are doing in the championship or do you judge them by different rules than Hanlon.

Hanlon has been our player for many season and I watched him through all these, my comments were not just about 1 season. This thread is about Hanlon

Stevie Reid
24-01-2016, 01:06 AM

Was injured for the vast majority of our horrendous slide towards relegation that season.

Steviethebear
24-01-2016, 01:18 AM
Boys a Hibee, he ain't going nowhere, class act, Stubbs knows

Mibbes Aye
24-01-2016, 01:26 AM
For anyone who watched Paul play at age group and be promoted ahead and make his debut all that time ago and then settle into being a first-team regular, it's great isn't it :greengrin

Like Lewis, we have had the enjoyment of watching them grow and learn. They are far better players now than when they made their debut, how good is it to see that?

I think we could buy a team at ridiculous expense and Hanlon and Stevenson would fit into it because they are both technically good and their attitude is spot-on and they would develop to the level around them.

I love the fact they are both settled picks for the first team.

monktonharp
24-01-2016, 01:52 AM
Absolutely strolled it today:agree:fantastic . was a critic, and put him and wee Lewis in the same bracket a couple of tears ago, they need to move on. now eat humble pie, and both were immense against the buddies.

hfc rd
24-01-2016, 02:06 AM
Think he has really improved over the last few years. Just looks like a natural leader out there. Could and should have scored yesterday but overall, a very solid professional performance by Paul.

Plus with Alan Stubbs being a former CB himself, I think Paul has picked up a couple of tips from him and really reaping the benefits. Hope we get him on a new deal soon as no doubt other clubs will be monitoring him since his contract is expiring at the end of the season.

Brightside
24-01-2016, 06:45 AM
Clueless

Aldo
24-01-2016, 09:03 AM
Clueless

PH's biggest problem in the past was covering for inadequate team mates and therefore not being able to concentrate on his game.

He now plays alongside players that do their job allow PH to now concentrate on his own game.

We are now reaping the benefits of proper coaching and good players playing alongside him.

Onion
24-01-2016, 09:07 AM
Got bullied off the ball a couple of time and should have bagged himself a goal with one of those free headers, otherwise he was magnificent :greengrin

Jones28
24-01-2016, 11:56 AM
I think he's a tremendous player. When you think of some of the centre half a we've had over the past 5 or so years you realise how lucky we are to have him!

emerald green
24-01-2016, 12:07 PM
Cue a story (lie) appearing in the Sun (Hun) linking Paul Hanlon with a move to the Ibrox club...

Smartie
24-01-2016, 12:14 PM
Apart from his ability as a defender I really like what he offers us at set-pieces. His movement is good and he is sneakier than some of our strikers when it comes to taking up good positions to get on the end of balls into the box.

And unlike Fontaine you'd normally back him to hit the target when he gets on the end of them.

Stuarty27
24-01-2016, 12:17 PM
His tackle in the first half in front of the east was tremendous.

Class player

StevieBoyKdy
24-01-2016, 01:05 PM
Has improved so much since his weak days at left back, stronger, leading by example and a future captain. Potentially be at Hibs all his days and would be happy to see him do so. Saying that he's out of contract. New 3 year deals please Stubbs.

Unseen work
24-01-2016, 02:30 PM
He was absolutley fantastic yesterday, defensively and with the ball at his feet starting attacks.

One of his main attributes is his reading of the game, the amount of times he reads a pass and manages to stop the attack before it becomes serious is unreal.

suprised another team haven't tried to sign him, would be a very good signing for aberdeen. Can't see them affording him though

Jones28
24-01-2016, 02:40 PM
His tackle in the first half in front of the east was tremendous.

Class player

He was over like a torpedo and absolutely hammered the st mirren boy. Beautiful challenge

Smartie
24-01-2016, 02:58 PM
He was absolutley fantastic yesterday, defensively and with the ball at his feet starting attacks.

One of his main attributes is his reading of the game, the amount of times he reads a pass and manages to stop the attack before it becomes serious is unreal.

suprised another team haven't tried to sign him, would be a very good signing for aberdeen. Can't see them affording him though

Is he not available for nowt at the end of this season?

col02
24-01-2016, 03:09 PM
His passing out of defence is very good. He's maturing into a fine footballer.

3pm
24-01-2016, 03:20 PM
Is he out of contract at the end of the season?

JimBHibees
24-01-2016, 03:39 PM
Thought he was good but still a couple of slips.

Seveno
24-01-2016, 04:22 PM
He was total class yesterday and has been all season. Always so strong in the tackle, reads the game so well and passes a ball with the next two passes in mind. Whilst I hope we keep him, I would like to see Paul get a good move and earn the sort of money that his loyalty deserves.

KWJ
25-01-2016, 09:45 PM
Has there been any news on a deal offered?

Paul will be itching to win silverware this season going by the past disappointments he'll have endured at Hampden.

Super_JMcGinn
25-01-2016, 10:26 PM
:top marks best player we have at Easter Rd.

Not by a long way, I wouldn't put him in our top 10 players. I'm a bit lost on this love in for Paul, I really am. I don't like criticising any of our players but I think Paul has been at the club too long without improving any. let's be honest here if he had he would have moved on to a bigger club way before now.
You only have to look at his attempted clearance on Saturday just before the free kick leading to St Mirren's goal to see one of his major failings HE CANNOT HEADER A BALL. TIN HAT FIRMLY ON AS THEY SAY ON HERE.

Libby Hibby
25-01-2016, 10:29 PM
Not by a long way, I wouldn't put him in our top 10 players. I'm a bit lost on this love in for Paul, I really am. I don't like criticising any of our players but I think Paul has been at the club too long without improving any. let's be honest here if he had he would have moved on to a bigger club way before now.
You only have to look at his attempted clearance on Saturday just before the free kick leading to St Mirren's goal to see one of his major failings HE CANNOT HEADER A BALL. TIN HAT FIRMLY ON AS THEY SAY ON HERE.

What a strange post.

For one, no one and I mean no one is Hanlon's biggest critic than moi but to say he hasn't improved, especially this season is just bizarre.

I hope he stays for years to come, keeps proving me wrong and hopefully he can change your mind a bit.

hibbysam
25-01-2016, 10:31 PM

Thank **** we have one of the best centre halves to have played in this country this side of the millennium picking our team then eh! I wonder who I will listen to!

Scouse Hibee
25-01-2016, 10:32 PM

About as incorrect a description of Paul Hanlon you could have posted.

Jonnyboy
25-01-2016, 10:35 PM

Wow!

MWHIBBIES
25-01-2016, 11:31 PM
You only have to look at his attempted clearance on Saturday just before the free kick leading to St Mirren's goal to see one of his major failings HE CANNOT HEADER A BALL. TIN HAT FIRMLY ON AS THEY SAY ON HERE.Usually what people say before/after posting utter pish like you have here.

FranckSuzy
25-01-2016, 11:41 PM
Thank **** we have one of the best centre halves to have played in this country this side of the millennium picking our team then eh! I wonder who I will listen to!

:tee hee:

matty_f
25-01-2016, 11:48 PM

Fail.

Brightside
26-01-2016, 03:27 AM

Maybe lay off the drink prior to games as your judgement appears to be miles off.

easty
26-01-2016, 09:00 AM

I couldn't have been more disappointed in his lack of heading ability in the 2-1 game vs The Rangers earlier this season. He didn't even put it in the top corner.

patlowe
27-01-2016, 08:38 AM
There's no doubt he was partly at fault for the St Mirren goal on Saturday, it would be a bit deluded to suggest otherwise. Apart from that he was absolutely outstanding, as he has been for the most part all season.

I've felt over his career that Hanlon was always worth at least one chance for the opposition striker, be it through physical inferiority or lack of concentration. However, these are aspects he's improved on massively in the last 2/3 years and in any case I'm delighted we have him for the other obvious qualities he brings to the team.

blackpoolhibs
27-01-2016, 08:52 AM
Nobody can deny he's doing well recently, but i will wait until he's playing regularly in the top league before fawning all over him as some do.

He has got better over the years, but he has been part of a team thats struggled regularly in the premiership, and had his weaknesses shown up too often against better players.

He does appear stronger in this league, and against some of the premiership players we've played against in the last couple of seasons in the cup.

He's coming into the age group now where he should be showing more maturity and experience in his play, hopefully when we go up he will continue to improve into the player we all want him to be.

JimBHibees
27-01-2016, 11:52 AM
Nobody can deny he's doing well recently, but i will wait until he's playing regularly in the top league before fawning all over him as some do.

He has got better over the years, but he has been part of a team thats struggled regularly in the premiership, and had his weaknesses shown up too often against better players.

He does appear stronger in this league, and against some of the premiership players we've played against in the last couple of seasons in the cup.

He's coming into the age group now where he should be showing more maturity and experience in his play, hopefully when we go up he will continue to improve into the player we all want him to be.

Couldnt agree more still some weaknesses in his game which raise their head now and again usually in the bigger games. Cracking potential which needs to be shown every week in this league and in the cup ties coming up.

RyeSloan
27-01-2016, 12:12 PM
Couldnt agree more still some weaknesses in his game which raise their head now and again usually in the bigger games. Cracking potential which needs to be shown every week in this league and in the cup ties coming up.

I don't think Hibs will ever have players who don't have some weakness, they wouldn't be playing for us if they didn't!

Hanlon is a class player who has steadily improved and looks like he is continuing to do so...I think we would find it very hard to replace him and we should get him signed up on a 3 year deal as soon as possible as I could see him playing for any side in Scotland with some ease.

HappyHanlon
27-01-2016, 12:14 PM

Shut up Gail

Smartie
27-01-2016, 01:08 PM
I don't think Hibs will ever have players who don't have some weakness, they wouldn't be playing for us if they didn't!

Hanlon is a class player who has steadily improved and looks like he is continuing to do so...I think we would find it very hard to replace him and we should get him signed up on a 3 year deal as soon as possible as I could see him playing for any side in Scotland with some ease.

I could actually see him playing for Scotland.

Excellent player and I don't think he can be far behind the likes of Berra and Greer.

His loyalty may well have been his undoing in this regard. I'm sure if he was playing for a Rotherham or Wigan he'd be in the Scotland squad by now.

scoopyboy
27-01-2016, 01:14 PM
There's no doubt he was partly at fault for the St Mirren goal on Saturday, it would be a bit deluded to suggest otherwise. Apart from that he was absolutely outstanding, as he has been for the most part all season.

I've felt over his career that Hanlon was always worth at least one chance for the opposition striker, be it through physical inferiority or lack of concentration. However, these are aspects he's improved on massively in the last 2/3 years and in any case I'm delighted we have him for the other obvious qualities he brings to the team.

If I was looking to blame somebody for the St.Mirren goal on Saturday I would have blamed either Bartley for stupidly giving a foul away or possibly Oxley for his positioning / wall set up, certainly not Hanlon.

Bracksy
27-01-2016, 01:14 PM
About as incorrect a description of Paul Hanlon you could have posted.
100% this

Bracksy
27-01-2016, 01:17 PM
you not see his winner v THE rangers?

Brightside
27-01-2016, 01:21 PM
I could actually see him playing for Scotland.

Excellent player and I don't think he can be far behind the likes of Berra and Greer.

His loyalty may well have been his undoing in this regard. I'm sure if he was playing for a Rotherham or Wigan he'd be in the Scotland squad by now.

Spot on.

Jonnyboy
27-01-2016, 02:42 PM
If I was looking to blame somebody for the St.Mirren goal on Saturday I would have blamed either Bartley for stupidly giving a foul away or possibly Oxley for his positioning / wall set up, certainly not Hanlon.

Spot on, J.

JimBHibees
27-01-2016, 03:04 PM

Not so sure his header from the cross was a very poor one up in the air and personally think he could have gone out and headed the ball away before it dropped.

27-01-2016, 03:50 PM
A very underrated player IMO. He's improved massively over the last couple of yeras in particular. Probably because he's been paired with more reliable, stronger centre halves. When McPake first came to us on loan i felt Hanlon really improved being along side him.

KWJ
27-01-2016, 04:25 PM

Do you not hate when you write a post with stats and lose the page requiring a redo

I think he's got better in spite of playing in a team that's struggled in the Premiership. Sam Stanton, Alex Harris, David Wotherspoon and maybe Jordan Forster have all regressed playing in the same teams.

Hanlon's been in awful Hibs teams and had some woeful centre halves alongside him to go with uninspiring keepers behind him.

In the relegation season Hanlon picked up his injury with us sitting 7th after 30 league games. This was about 2 weeks before the infamous relegation derby. Our record in the league after his injury was 0-1-7. Maybe in the end it was the shot we needed to transform the club but I believe we'd still be in the top flight had Hanlon not been injured (and Butcher had still left).

His centre half partners

Ryan McGivern
James McPake
Ryan Nelson
Jordan Forster
Tim Clancy (or was he only a RB when he ever played?)
Sean O'Hanlon (to think I was excited and optimistic when he signed)
David Stephens
Ian Murray
Francis Dickoh
Sol Bamba
Chris Hogg
Steven Thicot
Darren McCormack

Could add Martin Canning and Rob Jones too but I doubt Hanlon played with them at CH and may have been a LB to some above too.

His Keepers have been

Makalambay
Graeme Smith
Graham Stack
Mark Brown
Jakub Divis (Who!? - Don't mind this guy at all)
Ben Williams

There's been some pretty woeful full backs that I'll avoid to keep us all sane.

Seriously though, who are you meant to help the team and progress as a player when you're learning from these guys and bailing them out?

Bamba probably the best defender there but definitely not the easiest to play alongside. Ian Murary was a decent defender too but not so much at the time Hanlon was playing with him. Honourable mention to Chris Hogg for at least giving his all and being a cup winner.

We're lucky to have Paul Hanlon and that he's not retired fae the game let alone complained.

Let's get behind this team that we have and enjoy them because there's no half been a lot of pish that's preceded them.

1van Sprou7e
27-01-2016, 04:30 PM
Do you not hate when you write a post with stats and lose the page requiring a redo

I think he's got better in spite of playing in a team that's struggled in the Premiership. Sam Stanton, Alex Harris, David Wotherspoon and maybe Jordan Forster have all regressed playing in the same teams.

Hanlon's been in awful Hibs teams and had some woeful centre halves alongside him to go with uninspiring keepers behind him.

In the relegation season Hanlon picked up his injury with us sitting 7th after 30 league games. This was about 2 weeks before the infamous relegation derby. Our record in the league after his injury was 0-1-7. Maybe in the end it was the shot we needed to transform the club but I believe we'd still be in the top flight had Hanlon not been injured (and Butcher had still left).

His centre half partners

Ryan McGivern
James McPake
Ryan Nelson
Jordan Forster
David Stephens
Ian Murray
Francis Dickoh
Sol Bamba
Chris Hogg
Steven Thicot
Darren McCormack

Could add Martin Canning and Rob Jones too but I doubt Hanlon played with them at CH and may have been a LB to some above too.

His Keepers have been

Makalambay
Graeme Smith
Graham Stack
Mark Brown
Ben Williams

Seriously though, who are you meant to help the team and progress as a player when you're learning from these guys and bailing them out?

Bamba probably the best defender there but definitely not the easiest to play alongside. Ian Murary was a decent defender too but not so much at the time Hanlon was playing with him. Honourable mention to Chris Hogg for at least giving his all and being a cup winner.

We're lucky to have Paul Hanlon and that he's not retired fae the game let alone complained.

Let's get behind this team that we have and enjoy them because there's no half been a lot of pish that's preceded them.

Wow, that list of names brought back some terrible memories lol

GreenArmy1875
27-01-2016, 04:44 PM

Do all our players need to move onto bigger clubs?
Can we not just have players that can play for hibs at our current level?

Craig_HFC
27-01-2016, 04:44 PM
Wow, that list of names brought back some terrible memories lol

Yep.

I'd completely forgotten that Sean O'Hanlon ever existed; never mind played for Hibs.

Christ we've had some absolute dross the last few years.

hibbypostie
27-01-2016, 04:55 PM

yeah if you say so:aok: I know it's early but can I nominate this for biggest pile of bullshiiite ever its a clear winner

Aldo
27-01-2016, 05:42 PM
Not by a long way, I wouldn't put him in our top 10 players. I'm a bit lost on this love in for Paul, I really am. I don't like criticising any of our players but I think Paul has been at the club too long without improving any. let's be honest here if he had he would have moved on to a bigger club way before now. You only have to look at his attempted clearance on Saturday just before the free kick leading to St Mirren's goal to see one of his major failings HE CANNOT HEADER A BALL. TIN HAT FIRMLY ON AS THEY SAY ON HERE.

O DEAR!

Opinions eh.

Scored a very good header (after taking up an excellent position) against Der Hun.

As for improvement... I can correct you there and it's simple. This lad has been superb for us and we are now reaping the benefits of him playing alongside decent players who actually to their job allowing Paul to concentrate on his home.

FWIW you are waaaaayyyy off the mark!

WhileTheChief..
27-01-2016, 05:54 PM
I've always liked Hanlon but to me he's an average type player playing well in the 2nd tier of Scottish football. He's definitely improved over time but I think we will need better when we go up.

I don't remember any club ever showing any interest in signing him, kinda like Lewis Stevenson.

Got to wonder why that is.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Stubbs doesn't give him a new contract.

Eaststand
27-01-2016, 06:02 PM
I reckon most of us would agree that just like any other young developing player, Paul Hanlon made some errors in his younger days, BUT he has now developed into a very good player who just plays regularly to a high performance level. It would be a tragedy if he left ER, and I hope he signs a long term contract with us soon

GGTTH

hibbysam
27-01-2016, 06:05 PM
I've always liked Hanlon but to me he's an average type player playing well in the 2nd tier of Scottish football. He's definitely improved over time but I think we will need better when we go up.

I don't remember any club ever showing any interest in signing him, kinda like Lewis Stevenson.

This the same Paul Hanlon that earlier this season had Adam Rooney, the best centre forward in the top flight other than Griffiths, in his back pocket? The myth that Paul Hanlon cannot do it in the big games or against decent sides has been proven completely wrong in the last 3 years, remember he has played Rangers, Hearts, Aberdeen, Dundee United and not once looked out of place!

KWJ
27-01-2016, 06:08 PM

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/15531286 .

As I said in longer post, Hanlon was injured with us sitting 7th in Prem, we then went 0-1-7 and lost the relegation playoff. Not a bad impact to have on the team for 'an average type player playing well in the 2nd tier'.

He's been crucial to us for a few years now, although we do now finally have some experienced back up at centre half in McGregor/Fonts.

blackpoolhibs
27-01-2016, 06:09 PM

His centre half partners

Ryan McGivern
James McPake
Ryan Nelson
Jordan Forster
David Stephens
Ian Murray
Francis Dickoh
Sol Bamba
Chris Hogg
Steven Thicot
Darren McCormack

His Keepers have been

Makalambay
Graeme Smith
Graham Stack
Mark Brown
Ben Williams

I formed my opinion on what Paul Hanlon has done, not on who he played with. I remember Leigh Griffiths playing with some real pish, yet he managed to really impress me while doing so.

KWJ
27-01-2016, 06:16 PM
I formed my opinion on what Paul Hanlon has done, not on who he played with. I remember Leigh Griffiths playing with some real pish, yet he managed to really impress me while doing so.

Fair enough.

I believe it's a lot more difficult for a young defender to make the breakthrough into a team than a striker and LG had played about 100 games before coming to Hibs so he had much more experience to help prepare him for playing in front of the Hibee faithful.

Super_JMcGinn
27-01-2016, 06:16 PM
You definitely have a way with words, I tend to agree with you though. PS It wasn't me who posted the comment, it was my dad, he calls Paul a poor mans Gordon Hunter.
Who is Gordon Hunter lol

scoopyboy
27-01-2016, 06:26 PM
Not so sure his header from the cross was a very poor one up in the air and personally think he could have gone out and headed the ball away before it dropped.

The guy that picked up Paul's header was twenty yards from goal and had his back to the goal.

Paul's header wasn't great by any means but Bartley didn't need to foul him.

If you are going to blame Hanlon you would be as well to include David Gray as well, he gave the ball away cheaply to allow the cross to come in.

Iceman1875
27-01-2016, 06:50 PM
Easily worth a new 3 year contract on reasonable money. Would love to see him capped for Scotland one day.

At Easter Road we play...

blackpoolhibs
27-01-2016, 06:54 PM
You definitely have a way with words, I tend to agree with you though. PS It wasn't me who posted the comment, it was my dad, he calls Paul a poor mans Gordon Hunter.
Who is Gordon Hunter lol

Gordon was a decent defender, who knew how to shall we say leave his mark on the guy he was marking. :wink: I like Hanlon, although thats not always been the case.

I used to think he was way too soft, and could be easily brushed off the ball and bullied by even the most immoble of centre forwards.

Its clear when watching him now, that he's matured. He's a lot better on the ball with both feet, and is strolling through these games in this division.

Hopefully when we go up, he can carry that on and do so against the players who are going to be better than the level we are playing against just now.

JimBHibees
27-01-2016, 10:33 PM
The guy that picked up Paul's header was twenty yards from goal and had his back to the goal.

Paul's header wasn't great by any means but Bartley didn't need to foul him.

If you are going to blame Hanlon you would be as well to include David Gray as well, he gave the ball away cheaply to allow the cross to come in.

Maybe so but if he heads it away or follows up and clears with another header no goal. Cracking player but one of these players you think has a mistake in him.

Brightside
27-01-2016, 10:41 PM

Help me out here...who are the better CHs playing in scottish football at the moment.

JimBHibees
27-01-2016, 10:53 PM
Help me out here...who are the better CHs playing in scottish football at the moment.

McGregor
Fontaine
Reynolds
Ozturk
Augustan
Reynolds
Taylor
Soutar
Anderson
McManus
Davies
Warren
Meanings
McPake
Conrad
Wilson
McCracken
Etc

Just off the top of my head. :greengrin

Brightside
27-01-2016, 10:59 PM
McGregor
Fontaine
Reynolds
Ozturk
Augustan
Reynolds
Taylor
Soutar
Anderson
McManus
Davies
Warren
Meanings
McPake
Conrad
Wilson
McCracken
Etc

Just off the top of my head. :greengrin

ok its handy that i know you are taking the pi$$.

J-C
27-01-2016, 11:38 PM
Always liked Paul but it was his basic little errors that used to annoy me, he seems to have got rid of most of them and is now a good solid dependable CH. Remember he was also deemed good enough to be Scotland U21 captain.

Boyle89
28-01-2016, 12:06 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/15531286
Hope that works.
Yes it's bbc but there must've been something in it.

Craig_HFC
28-01-2016, 06:29 AM
Hope that works.

And Stuart McCall also admitted last season that he had tried to sign Lewis Stevenson for Motherwell while he was their manager.

WhileTheChief..
28-01-2016, 08:09 AM
Hope that works.

Good find. An article from 2011.

Fergus52
28-01-2016, 10:09 AM
ok its handy that i know you are taking the pi$$.

I hope for his sake that he is

scoopyboy
28-01-2016, 10:24 AM
Maybe so but if he heads it away or follows up and clears with another header no goal. Cracking player but one of these players you think has a mistake in him.

Any player that plays for Hibs has a mistake in him, sadly if they didn't they wouldn't be playing with Hibs.

blackpoolhibs
28-01-2016, 10:32 AM
Any player that plays for Hibs has a mistake in him, sadly if they didn't they wouldn't be playing with Hibs.

Yip, and if i'm honest Hanlon is the best defender we have, and the more players we get of His standard, i'd hope the better the team will get.

I always think i give an honest opinion on our players, and i have not always been the greatest fan of him, Stevenson and even Oxley from out back 4.

Yet you'd have to be blind to not see these players have improved, but as you say they all have a mistake in them. The acid test for ALL the players we have now, is will they still improve when we are back in the Premiership?

Hiber-nation
28-01-2016, 10:32 AM
Yeah I know it's only the Championship etc etc but for me he's the best ball-playing Scottish centre back playing in Scotland. Maybe not the best defender yet....he can only be judged on that after a season in the SPL.

scoopyboy
28-01-2016, 12:12 PM
Yip, and if i'm honest Hanlon is the best defender we have, and the more players we get of His standard, i'd hope the better the team will get.

I always think i give an honest opinion on our players, and i have not always been the greatest fan of him, Stevenson and even Oxley from out back 4.

Yet you'd have to be blind to not see these players have improved, but as you say they all have a mistake in them. The acid test for ALL the players we have now, is will they still improve when we are back in the Premiership?

I agree Blackpool. Thing is though we still need to get back up there which is the most galling part of this discussion.