PDA

View Full Version : Stokes.....GOAL!

California-Hibs
23-01-2016, 04:21 PM
Guys....get used to that! Delighted he got the debut goal, actually his 2nd debut goal!

The guys a machine and will score almost every game.

I'd start him next week. Very difficult though because I was impressed with Dagnall. Power of work, good movement, and create chances. Cummings always likely to score. Headache!....A good one though!

Well done Stokeys and Hibs!

iwasthere1972
23-01-2016, 04:27 PM
Guys....get used to that! Delighted he got the debut goal, actually his 2nd debut goal!

I'd start him next week. Very difficult though because I was impressed with Dagnall. Power of work, good movement, and create chances. Cummings always likely to score. Headache!....A good one though!

Great work from Keatings to put it on a plate for Stokes. I would start Stokes before Cummings next week. Unless the plan is to play them both together.

GreenArmyyy!
23-01-2016, 04:28 PM
Great play from Keatings, really unselfish play. Stokes will never forget where the back of the net is.

Carheenlea
23-01-2016, 04:30 PM

Stubbs has some thinking to do with how he goes up front next week alright. Not sure I know myself who I'd like to start.

Pretty Boy
23-01-2016, 04:34 PM
A real headache for Stubbs next week with the strikers.

Stokes looked sharp enough today and scored.

Dagnall worked his erse off today, had 2 good shots and linked the play well.

Malonga hasn't done a lot wrong.

Keatings looked lively when he came on and set up a goal with a good bit play.

It didn't really happen for Cummings today but he's a proven goalscorer for us.

A lot of thinking to be done this week for AS.

Craig_HFC
23-01-2016, 04:35 PM
A good problem to have.

neil7908
23-01-2016, 04:38 PM
Cummings and Stokes for me. Dagnall looked lively but those 2 will get you goals, no question

GreenArmyyy!
23-01-2016, 04:46 PM
Cummings and Stokes are the partnership, no question. Fyvie and Bartley shouldn't be playing in the same starting 11 IMO.

Stax
23-01-2016, 04:49 PM
Can't ask anymore than getting of the mark in his first game. Huns & yams kidding themselves on with all their bravado about him being nothing to worry about. GGTTH

JJP
23-01-2016, 04:49 PM
I can't see how Stokes and Cummings together will work. Neither will pass to the other. Need someone who is going to do all the work and create space for whichever of the two is starting.

Pretty Boy
23-01-2016, 04:51 PM
Cummings and Stokes are the partnership, no question. Fyvie and Bartley shouldn't be playing in the same starting 11 IMO.

If Fyvie and Bartley are playing the same role then you are right.

They weren't today though and it worked very well. Fyvie was playing his more natural position whilst Bartley played his.

Since90+2
23-01-2016, 04:56 PM
I can't see how Stokes and Cummings together will work. Neither will pass to the other. Need someone who is going to do all the work and create space for whichever of the two is starting.

Of course they will pass to each other.

Cummings always puts in a great shift so it's Stokes and Cummings for me.

Hibby Bairn

Play them both. Give them the ball. Goals will come.

Baader
I can't see how Stokes and Cummings together will work. Neither will pass to the other. Need a someone who is going to do all the work and create space for whichever of the two is starting.

Stokes is a real coup. He really shouldn't be playing at this level. Very good work by the club to land him. He's more than just a finisher though as remember one of the best games I saw him (unfortunately it was against us in the cup final we lost to Celtic.) I didn't think he could play that role either but he set up 2 goals for Hooper and was deservedly motm. Damn it!!! :brickwall

California-Hibs
23-01-2016, 05:00 PM
Can't ask anymore than getting of the mark in his first game. Huns & yams kidding themselves on with all their bravado about him being nothing to worry about. GGTTH

You can say that again! Let's see how smirk they are after Stokes rattles it in their own net at their own stadium!

Hermit Crab
23-01-2016, 05:01 PM

That's where he should be played, not at the head of a diamond, you seen the difference today when came on. Good assist for the goal.

I would not be disappointed if Cummings did not start next week.

BoomtownHibees
23-01-2016, 05:04 PM
That's where he should be played, not at the head of a diamond, you seen the difference today when came on. Good assist for the goal.

You wouldn't be disappointed if our top scorer didn't play in a semi final? Strange

Hermit Crab
23-01-2016, 05:05 PM
You wouldn't be disappointed if our top scorer didn't play in a semi final? Strange

Not with the other striking options we have no. Not strange at all.

BoomtownHibees
23-01-2016, 05:08 PM

It is strange that you would want to drop a player who has proven he can score goals for us and has done for the past 2 seasons.

It would be Stokes and Cummings for me.

lord bunberry
23-01-2016, 05:10 PM
Other options that added together have scored around half the goals Cummings has scored. As the previous poster said strange.

Hermit Crab
23-01-2016, 05:12 PM
It is strange that you would want to drop a player who has proven he can score goals for us and has done for the past 2 seasons.

It would be Stokes and Cummings for me.

And that will probably be the pairing next week, however I think Cummings will see a spell on the bench soon. He misses far too many one on ones for me. Its like when he has time to think about it he doesn't know what to do. Done it today, last week and a few other times this season. Can't argue with his goal tally but that certainly is one area he needs to improve. Just saying.

Matty_Jack04
23-01-2016, 05:12 PM
Play them all next week!!

HiBremian
23-01-2016, 05:14 PM
Who turns up on the day? Probably more important than who starts. We're in the enviable position of having 5 strikers who, on their day, can win us a game against anyone. Keatings proved it today after three weeks of poor performances, he comes on and does the hard work to lay it on a plate for Stokesy. Maybe AS's first choices will turn it on, but got a feeling that the bench will win it for us next week :agree:

BoomtownHibees
23-01-2016, 05:17 PM
And that will probably be the pairing next week, however I think Cummings will see a spell on the bench soon. He misses far too many one on ones for me. Its like when he has time to think about it he doesn't know what to do. Done it today, last week and a few other times this season. Can't argue with his goal tally but that certainly is one area he needs to improve. Just saying.

If he continues to score as often as he does then he will be nowhere near the bench

lord bunberry
23-01-2016, 05:19 PM
If he continues to score as often as he does then he will be nowhere near the bench
:agree: It would be madness to drop your top scorer in an attempt to score more goals.

monktonharp
23-01-2016, 05:23 PM
I would start next week with the same 2 as today. Dagnall had a great game , but was always going to be the one subbed to make space for Stokes. next week's game could go the distance, so I would keep Stokes a bit in reserve, for a late change like today. wee Cummings must know he made a couple of silly choices today, by trying to take on that extra man more than a couple of times!

thebakerboy
23-01-2016, 05:46 PM
Is Stokes available for next week , thought someone on here said he had come on as a sub for Celtic against Raith. I stand corrected , after checking he hasnt played but was on the bench so is not cuptied.

Onceinawhile
23-01-2016, 05:47 PM
Is Stokes available for next week , thought someone on here said he had come on as a sub for Celtic against Raith.

No he didn't he's free to play in both cups.

Pedantic_Hibee
23-01-2016, 05:55 PM
Today and last week is the reason why Cummings should sign a two year extension at Hibs under the proviso he can go in the summer of 2017. Two gilt-edged chances last week and again missing a one on one today. At this level and in the top league he can brush up on that, at a higher level it's generally unforgivable to miss those chances.

I made a spur of the moment comment today that he thinks he's better than he is and in hindsight I stick by that, four or five times he put the head down and tried to plough and weave his way through a few defenders when a more rounded striker would look for the pass.

These are things he can improve upon at Hibs over the next 18 months.

Onion
23-01-2016, 06:08 PM
Stokes' goals per minutes played already frightening. Great addition to the strike force.

Cabbage7062
23-01-2016, 06:12 PM
When I seen him on the bench today I immediately put him on to score last. 7/2 with Willy Hill :thumbsup:. What a great piece of business by the club!

lord bunberry
23-01-2016, 06:13 PM
When I seen him on the bench today I immediately put him on to score last. 7/2 with Willy Hill :thumbsup:. What a great piece of business by the club!
And you :greengrin

PPZPOL
23-01-2016, 06:14 PM
His touch was spot on for someone who hadn't played in a while, excellent link up, intelligent runs and maybe the most important thing is that opponents are scared of him and as such he had them turning which I don't think we do enough. Cummings will learn from him no doubt, he needs to take fewer touches at times (compared to Stokes sharp 1 & 2 touch and go's for example) but Cummings HAS came on leaps and bounds this season and I hope he sees that another season at us will be good for his development.

chrisski33
23-01-2016, 06:20 PM

Are you for real?? Playing stokes alongside cummings will produce goals. Dropping out current top goalscorer would be crazy just like saying you wouldnt be disappointed if he was dropped!!

hibs0666
23-01-2016, 06:26 PM
Same two as today for me until Stokes is match fit. Then Stokes & Dagnall.

Alfred E Newman
23-01-2016, 06:35 PM
Today and last week is the reason why Cummings should sign a two year extension at Hibs under the proviso he can go in the summer of 2017. Two gilt-edged chances last week and again missing a one on one today. At this level and in the top league he can brush up on that, at a higher level it's generally unforgivable to miss those chances.

I made a spur of the moment comment today that he thinks he's better than he is and in hindsight I stick by that, four or five times he put the head down and tried to plough and weave his way through a few defenders when a more rounded striker would look for the pass.

These are things he can improve upon at Hibs over the next 18 months.

I think it's that greedy part of his game that makes him the exciting player he is. When he drops back his link up play is good but when he gets inside the box he only has one thing in mind.

erin go bragh
23-01-2016, 06:51 PM
Stokes was class when he came on . His pass that put Fyvie through in the box was sublime. Stokes and Cummings will score for fun for us .

GGTTH

hfc rd
23-01-2016, 07:08 PM
Stokes looked as if he had been playing every week. Don't think getting him up to match sharpness is going to be an issue as he looked good when he came on. What a pass to Fyvie with virtually his first touch of the game! Great goal as well but Keatings' run was brilliant.

jacomo
23-01-2016, 08:54 PM
Stokes looked as if he had been playing every week. Don't think getting him up to match sharpness is going to be an issue as he looked good when he came on. What a pass to Fyvie with virtually his first touch of the game! Great goal as well but Keatings' run was brilliant.

He's not Superman. Great that Stokes scored today but I would think he's a few weeks away from being able to put in 90 minutes.

Lago
23-01-2016, 08:59 PM

Nice headache to have!