PDA

View Full Version : Treble -Stubbsy has lost it !

Rougier45
23-01-2016, 09:49 AM
Tony Stokes, he's a rebel, Hibs are gonna win the treble ....

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/alan-stubbs-believes-only-hibs-or-celtic-can-win-treble-1-4009216

:cb

Alfred E Newman
23-01-2016, 09:58 AM
How's he lost it? I'd be disappointed if he didn't think we could compete in all three competitions. He didn't say we were going to win them all but we other than Celtic we are still the only team that realistically could win three trophys this season.

FranckSuzy
23-01-2016, 10:00 AM
10 pager.....

BH Hibs
23-01-2016, 10:05 AM
In the article in The Sun he says he doesn't want the headline to be we will win the treble so they print the headline as Stubbs: We can win the TREBLE. Typical

hibs0666
23-01-2016, 10:05 AM

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/alan-stubbs-believes-only-hibs-or-celtic-can-win-treble-1-4009216

I guess you're a glass half smashed kind of guy.

Tyler Durden
23-01-2016, 10:11 AM
I do think he's slightly misguided in talking about having a hard game vs Celtic or Ross County when we've yet to beat St Johnstone. He's mentioned it a few times now talking about Stokes not playing against Celtic

hibee_nation
23-01-2016, 10:18 AM
I do think he's slightly misguided in talking about having a hard game vs Celtic or Ross County when we've yet to beat St Johnstone. He's mentioned it a few times now talking about Stokes not playing against Celtic

The very next line he says that they have to get past St Johnstone first

Alex Trager
23-01-2016, 10:18 AM

I think St Johnstone are out the Scottish based on that interview?

Keith_M
23-01-2016, 10:20 AM
Are Hibs and Celtic the only teams that could win a treble this season?

Surely DerHun could do it... if we count the Petrofac Cup.

Tyler Durden
23-01-2016, 10:21 AM
The very next line he says that they have to get past St Johnstone first

Yes but why mention the final in the first place? It's disrespectful IMO and only sets us up for a fall.

Nothing wrong with being confident and talking of our chances. But focus on the next game only

Rougier45
23-01-2016, 10:22 AM
I guess you're a glass half smashed kind of guy.

i have been following hibs 40 years -we have won 3 cups in that time -if Stubbsy can do 3 in 1 year .....then party on dudes ...

its all good craic until we get gubbed wither next week or week after then its back to reality in the meantime i'm a believer

Danderhall Hibs
23-01-2016, 10:23 AM
You can't win can you?

Imagine if he'd said we couldn't win the treble/anything?

That's what we get for employing a manager with a winners mentality I guess.

blackpoolhibs
23-01-2016, 10:25 AM
FFS Stubbsy, have you given up on the East of Scotland shield? :agree:

StevieBoyKdy
23-01-2016, 10:26 AM
A manager with ambition, wow and some people still
moaning! Bring back butcher and pump the ball down the channels and if we get a win its been a good day.

GreenCastle
23-01-2016, 10:26 AM
In about a months time we will find out what direction this season is taking...

Alex Trager
23-01-2016, 10:30 AM
You can't win can you?

Absolutely. Had this discussion recently.

He's not said we are going to win them all.
That could leave you lookin stupid.

He said he wants to.

Ambition.

Col2
23-01-2016, 10:31 AM
Stubbs is a winner, 100% cast iron winner. He wants to surround himself with winners and is doing a very good job so far.

We realistically have little chance of 3 trophies but I would rather have a manager that talks like this than always plays down our chances.

Not sure what odds on treble? But did notice we are slight, very slight favourites for next weekend's semi...

Hibernian Verse
23-01-2016, 10:32 AM

He said he wants to.

Ambition.

Something that has been seriously lacking since 2005.

Keith_M
23-01-2016, 10:33 AM
Whilst it wouldn't be a major surprise if we ddn't win any trophies this season, you have to at least target a win in every competition you are still in, otherwise why even bother.

Rougier45
23-01-2016, 10:34 AM
In about a months time we will find out what direction this season is taking...

Very True ,in the meantime this is a shocking sentence -

“It is going to be very difficult against Celtic or Ross County if we reach the League Cup Final

has he not learned from his mind games nonsense with wharburton -he needs to keep it in house -the treble talk may be for the dressing room not the papers

Alex Trager
23-01-2016, 10:34 AM
Something that has been seriously lacking since 2005.

Correctomundo

Jack
23-01-2016, 10:36 AM
Yes but why mention the final in the first place? It's disrespectful IMO and only sets us up for a fall.

Nothing wrong with being confident and talking of our chances. But focus on the next game only

We're still in the cup competitions I'd be ragin ;-) if being in and winning the final wasn't our stated aim.

We're in the mix for the league. Again I wouldn't want anyone at the club saying anything other than winning it.

Sprouleflyer
23-01-2016, 10:42 AM
He's right, we are!!

Gatecrasher
23-01-2016, 10:47 AM

At least he has ambitions unlike the OP it seems.

NORTHERNHIBBY
23-01-2016, 10:49 AM
Everything that he says is factually correct, but how many times does truth sell papers. Got to expect stories to be twisted.

lord bunberry
23-01-2016, 10:57 AM
If we don't win the treble he can gtf :wink:

GreenCastle
23-01-2016, 11:01 AM
League cup..Scottish cup..fixtures running out..

We will find out next Saturday afternoon if the Treble is possible.

23-01-2016, 11:04 AM
You can't win can you?

Exactly, we have been quick to moan in the past of players and managers having a defeatist/losers mentality so lets not jump on his back for being ambitious and believing his team can achieve things.

Of course its an extremely big statement to make, Stubbs will know himself that it is a very far fetched thing to say but he is simply trying to install belief into his team and basically say that we are still in all 3 competitions so why not?

matty_f
23-01-2016, 11:07 AM
You can't win can you?

He said he wants to.

Ambition.

Yes, that sensible reasoning is all well and good, but if we all did that we wouldn't be able to piss our pants in a rage at some nonsense newspaper headline - without giving consideration to what was actually said - and if we don't do that people might not think we're complete ****wits. So stop it.

hibs0666
23-01-2016, 11:15 AM
i have been following hibs 40 years -we have won 3 cups in that time -if Stubbsy can do 3 in 1 year .....then party on dudes ...

its all good craic until we get gubbed wither next week or week after then its back to reality in the meantime i'm a believer

Nah it's all good craic full stop.

wookie70
23-01-2016, 11:20 AM
Given the way quote marks are used in the article it is pretty difficult to know what he said.

matty_f
23-01-2016, 11:31 AM
Given the way quote marks are used in the article it is pretty difficult to know what he said.

Easiest way to work it out when it's The Sun (with the notable exception of Kenny Millar, I should add) is to take the headline and just think "well, they never said that."

Remarkable accurate approach to take to their stories.

Thecat23
23-01-2016, 11:44 AM
This will prob be taken out of context, yes we are still in with a chance of winning the league and right now we are in both cups so yes we could win all three.

Will this happen? No I very much doubt it. I'd take the league over any cups but while in it still want to win them. I think some Hibs fans are just worried about comments like this in case we fall flat on our faces (prone to this) but as I say I very much doubt he's said this in a way that papers make out.

hibs0666
23-01-2016, 11:52 AM

“It is going to be very difficult against Celtic or Ross County if we reach the League Cup Final

has he not learned from his mind games nonsense with wharburton -he needs to keep it in house -the treble talk may be for the dressing room not the papers

I'm genuinely baffled here - what is so shocking about that statement?

matty_f
23-01-2016, 11:53 AM
I'm genuinely baffled here - what is so shocking about that statement?

It's only shocking if you're hard of thinking. :agree:

--------
23-01-2016, 11:54 AM
He should have learned from the Rangers game - leave all the talking to the team on the field on the day.

Onceinawhile
23-01-2016, 11:54 AM
Must admit, I've voiced similar opinions.

I've no doubt we can beat any team in the country on our day. I just hope it's our day for the next 5 or so months!

23-01-2016, 12:01 PM
This will prob be taken out of context, yes we are still in with a chance of winning the league and right now we are in both cups so yes we could win all three.

Will this happen? No I very much doubt it. I'd take the league over any cups but while in it still want to win them. I think some Hibs fans are just worried about comments like this in case we fall flat on our faces (prone to this) but as I say I very much doubt he's said this in a way that papers make out.

This.

hibs0666
23-01-2016, 12:10 PM
It's only shocking if you're hard of thinking. :agree:

I can only assume the problem is the missing full stop. 😉

CB_NO3
23-01-2016, 12:16 PM
A manager installing a bit belief in his players and bring a feel good vibe back at the club? Bugger off Stubbs. Bring back Butcher.

emerald green
23-01-2016, 12:39 PM

What AS was quoted as having said in the article was "it is going to be very difficult against Celtic or Ross County (in the league cup final) as we have to come through a really difficult game against St Johnstone." In other words, if Hibs can first beat St Johnstone.

It's not a given that Hibs will win that match, and AS is not saying Hibs will win it. AS also says "I don't want the headline to be we will win all three!"

Tyler Durden
23-01-2016, 01:06 PM
What AS was quoted as having said in the article was "it is going to be very difficult against Celtic or Ross County (in the league cup final) as we have to come through a really difficult game against St Johnstone." In other words, if Hibs can first beat St Johnstone.

It's not a given that Hibs will win that match, and AS is not saying Hibs will win it. AS also says "I don't want the headline to be we will win all three!"

I recognise all that and I'm sure it was all said with a smile on his face. Personally would just rather he doesn't mention the final until we win the semi!

I'm not slating Stubbs, just think sometimes he makes it easy for the headline writers.

Keith_M
23-01-2016, 01:09 PM
I agree that he shouldn't give ammunition to the detractors by mentioning the Final. A simple answer of 'it's too early to dicsuss that, we are only in the Semi Final', would suffice.

Bay Area Hibees
23-01-2016, 04:37 PM
Sometimes I've thought his comments are a bit naive but increasingly he just seems confident and to some extent not being overly serious or cliched.

FitbaFolkKen
23-01-2016, 04:59 PM

i don't see the problem it is a fact, if we reach the final it is going to be very difficult. He said if not when.

If all there is to moan about Hibs at the minute is that we are too public with our ambitions in some peoples view then we are in a pretty good spot.

HoboHarry
23-01-2016, 05:13 PM
I will settle for a treble. And then chuck in my home town team Elgin City winning their league for a wee extra bonus...... :aok:

emerald green
23-01-2016, 05:21 PM
I recognise all that and I'm sure it was all said with a smile on his face. Personally would just rather he doesn't mention the final until we win the semi!

I'm not slating Stubbs, just think sometimes he makes it easy for the headline writers.

I agree that he shouldn't give ammunition to the detractors by mentioning the Final. A simple answer of 'it's too early to dicsuss that, we are only in the Semi Final', would suffice.

OK fair enough comments both of the above.

The only thing I would add is folk like us have the benefit of hindsight, whereas AS is usually answering questions there and then, on the spot, as it were. He doesn't have a lot of time to rehearse his answers. As far as I'm aware, he doesn't know in advance what questions are going to be thrown at him?

Pete
23-01-2016, 05:22 PM

Honestly, what the **** are you talking about?

The_Exile
23-01-2016, 05:51 PM
"We can win the treble" = RAAAAAAGE

"We can't win the treble" = RAAAAAAGE

He says nothing = RAAAAAAGE

Welcome to the life of a football manager.

Thecat23
23-01-2016, 07:20 PM
Anyone hear Stubbs after the game. Said he didn't say they can win the treble and will be having more than just a word with the journalist who wrote it.

I knew it had been taken out of context as its not something he'd be saying, as it would make him look stupid if we went out of both cups. Glad he's came out and cleared it up.

Aldo
23-01-2016, 07:50 PM
Anyone hear Stubbs after the game. Said he didn't say they can win the treble and will be having more than just a word with the journalist who wrote it. I knew it had been taken out of context as its not something he'd be saying, as it would make him look stupid if we went out of both cups. Glad he's came out and cleared it up.

Doesn't matter what Stubbs or the management team say the west coast media will always try and twist it to suit.

Hiding to nothing IMHO with that bunch of ****bags

Thecat23
23-01-2016, 07:55 PM
Doesn't matter what Stubbs or the management team say the west coast media will always try and twist it to suit.

Hiding to nothing IMHO with that bunch of ****bags

Spot on Aldo, always looking for things to stir up trouble!

truehibernian
23-01-2016, 08:04 PM
Strange the photo the Sun picked today - never seen them pick a photo of the bald eagle Warburton getting skelped in the cockney coupon with a ball ?!!!!

The Sun - absolute rag - today's headline was atrocious and cringeworthy in equal measure!

How about the 'respect' line being run out in the red tops (or lack of) ?

truehibernian
23-01-2016, 08:05 PM
The absolute worry Smart is the editor !

Aldo
23-01-2016, 08:14 PM

Smart is a massive Hibby!

Aldo
23-01-2016, 08:17 PM
Strange the photo the Sun picked today - never seen them pick a photo of the bald eagle Warburton getting skelped in the cockney coupon with a ball ?!!!! The Sun - absolute rag - today's headline was atrocious and cringeworthy in equal measure! How about the 'respect' line being run out in the red tops (or lack of) ?

Have never bought a newspaper for at least 5 years.

They're all as bad as each other IMHO.

Just us it as ammunition. Pin it up in dressing room.

Thecat23
23-01-2016, 08:19 PM

Smart is a hibby which makes it worse.

DaveF
23-01-2016, 08:22 PM
Smart is a hibby which makes it worse.

I suspect he's editor of his paper first, with Hibs way down his priority list.

Thecat23
23-01-2016, 08:24 PM
I suspect he's editor of his paper first, with Hibs way down his priority list.

Yeah prob true Dave.

truehibernian
23-01-2016, 08:26 PM
Have never bought a newspaper for at least 5 years.

They're all as bad as each other IMHO.

Just us it as ammunition. Pin it up in dressing room.

Both red tops utterly embarrassing and I'd say 'journalist' is an extension of their actual scope - opinionists - that's all they are !

None, I repeat none, have examined this week's sectarianism, bigotry, court cases, The Rangers, getting UEFA's opinion on things....

Nah, we'll put a shan pic of Alan and mention trebles....

Watched Keith Jackson doing his video blog and it was like watching Jolly Boy John - I despair at the absolute lack of genuine genuine sports journalism - embarrassing !

Smartie
23-01-2016, 08:29 PM
Was it the Sun article that angered Stubbs? I didn't see the Sun article, what was in that?

I only read the Scotsman article by Alan Patullo. I could see why Stubbs would be annoyed by the article, the headline in no way reflected the rest of the text and you could tell the interview was totally misrepresented. You'd expect a bit better from Patullo.

truehibernian
23-01-2016, 08:29 PM
Smart is a massive Hibby!

My point Aldo - mind he was also entertainment wasn't he ? Music ? Pop ? Some three no mark girls in Bizarre ?

I think today was embarrassing and pro The Rangers crap !

Billy Whizz
23-01-2016, 08:30 PM
Was it the Sun article that angered Stubbs? I didn't see the Sun article, what was in that?

I only read the Scotsman article by Alan Patullo. I could see why Stubbs would be annoyed by the article, the headline in no way reflected the rest of the text and you could tell the interview was totally misrepresented. You'd expect a bit better from Patullo.

Watch the interview post match on Hibs tv freeview

Smartie
23-01-2016, 08:31 PM
Watch the interview post match on Hibs tv freeview

I will, cheers.

truehibernian
23-01-2016, 08:31 PM
Just don't buy The Sun - yet another The Rangers apology paper !

jabis
23-01-2016, 08:34 PM
10 pager.....

Stopping at you,second post .

Aldo
23-01-2016, 08:34 PM
My point Aldo - mind he was also entertainment wasn't he ? Music ? Pop ? Some three no mark girls in Bizarre ? I think today was embarrassing and pro The Rangers crap !

Yeah but that's just it. Doesn't want to upset the west. If the did could see sales drop considerably.

TBH it's always be like that and I can't see it changing anytime soon.

Radio/telly/newspaper all west coast biased.

truehibernian
23-01-2016, 08:41 PM
Yeah but that's just it. Doesn't want to upset the west. If the did could see sales drop considerably.

TBH it's always be like that and I can't see it changing anytime soon.

Radio/telly/newspaper all west coast biased.

Papers are dying - sadly their food source is Glasgow - embarrassing that they perpetuate the west coast norm.

Maybe if they grew a pair they'd actually play their part in resolving the countries problems - too much lamb mate - too much self interest !

Hope one day we get a guy at Fifa and UEFA who sees past it and hammers the Old Firm - then The Sun can get back to concentrating on the Cheeky Girls

Aldo
23-01-2016, 08:55 PM
Papers are dying - sadly their food source is Glasgow - embarrassing that they perpetuate the west coast norm. Maybe if they grew a pair they'd actually play their part in resolving the countries problems - too much lamb mate - too much self interest ! Hope one day we get a guy at Fifa and UEFA who sees past it and hammers the Old Firm - then The Sun can get back to concentrating on the Cheeky Girls

Your first paragraph is exactly how I see it. As for growing a set....not a chance

truehibernian
23-01-2016, 09:01 PM
Just don't buy The Sun - end of - atrocious newspaper !

None of Scottish media wanted to face sectarianism this week - they happily talked about it - none confronted it !

That says it all Aldo !

Aldo
24-01-2016, 08:09 AM
Just don't buy The Sun - end of - atrocious newspaper ! None of Scottish media wanted to face sectarianism this week - they happily talked about it - none confronted it ! That says it all Aldo !

TH if this was any other club out with the OF they would be slating them big time and reporting it exactly as it was.

Won't and never will change

chrisski33
24-01-2016, 08:22 AM
He right we cud win the treble but wish they would make these comments behind closed doors and not to a journo as they jump on the words and twist it and then we flop and look silly.

lucky
24-01-2016, 09:02 AM
Not convinced we will win anything never mind the treble but we are 4/1 for the league, 25/1 for the Scottish and 5/1 for the league cup. I doubt many will rushing to bet on a 500/1 treble

hibbysam
24-01-2016, 09:11 AM
Not convinced we will win anything never mind the treble but we are 4/1 for the league, 25/1 for the Scottish and 5/1 for the league cup. I doubt many will rushing to bet on a 500/1 treble

750/1, definitely worth a couple of quid, imagine the party once we had clinched the Scottish with an extra £2k in yer pocket lol

ancient hibee
24-01-2016, 09:14 PM
Papers are dying - sadly their food source is Glasgow - embarrassing that they perpetuate the west coast norm.

Maybe if they grew a pair they'd actually play their part in resolving the countries problems - too much lamb mate - too much self interest !

Hope one day we get a guy at Fifa and UEFA who sees past it and hammers the Old Firm - then The Sun can get back to concentrating on the Cheeky Girls

Today's Sunday Times describes Celtic and Rangers as the capital's two clubs.

Edson Arantes
24-01-2016, 09:21 PM
How's he lost it? I'd be disappointed if he didn't think we could compete in all three competitions. He didn't say we were going to win them all but we other than Celtic we are still the only team that realistically could win three trophys this season.

Wait.

"we other than Celtic we are still the only team that..."

Don't think Stubbs has lost it but that's good drink you've had today. :greengrin

:na na::na na: