PDA

View Full Version : Malpas

Ozyhibby
23-01-2016, 01:56 AM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/dundee-united/interview-maurice-malpas-on-what-went-wrong-at-hibs-1-4009210

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikewynne
23-01-2016, 02:17 AM
A decent read but he isn't going to win anyone over, just confirms why he was/is so disliked.

iwasthere1972
23-01-2016, 02:36 AM
'If we had told the Hibs supporters that snow was black they would have believed us'

Oh yes definite. :rolleyes:

Couldn't be bothered reading all of it. Him and Butcher put us where we are now, in the Championship. No coincidence that none of them are in jobs.

Ozyhibby
23-01-2016, 02:59 AM
Is this the first time anyone has spoken publicly about what happened?

Hibeesmad
23-01-2016, 03:48 AM
“They either couldn’t or didn’t want to find other clubs. That was their prerogative but they then sat in our dressing-room and caused mayhem. One or two of the senior players just couldn’t be bothered and some of the younger
ones copied them. But we got hit by injuries and we had to go back to these guys. After we’d shafted them they shafted us.”

undoubtely speaking about KT here, KT must of knew that their attitude was doing the whole team harm

HoboHarry
23-01-2016, 04:09 AM
In fairness to him he does say that he would do it differently if he had the chance again. He and Butcher were disasters for Hibs but he does, I think, recognize that fact.

Libby Hibby
23-01-2016, 05:19 AM
Strange timing to suddenly want to discuss their issues of 2 years ago!!! Oh wait, KT is back at Easter Road, time to knock the move in the press.

Boyle89
23-01-2016, 05:37 AM
"The younger ones, they were just playing at being footballers. They all had their socks rolled up over their knees – what’s that about?"

What the does that have to do with being a footballer?! Who gives a flying one how high they wear their socks.
Apprently he doesn't know what old school means. It means you're a dinosaur! Obsolete! Extinct! Useless! Trash! Garbage! Worthless! Crap!
Should never get another job in football.

green day
23-01-2016, 06:50 AM
Malpas is a and it speaks volumes that KT is back at Easter Road while Malpas is looking after a baby or on the golf course.

Onion
23-01-2016, 06:54 AM
That's an horrific read and confirms what we all thought, TB & MM didn't so much lose the dressing room they pissed on it and flushed it down the bog. Question remains, why were they not sacked well before the end of the season to save our Prem skins.

Onceinawhile
23-01-2016, 07:36 AM
That's an horrific read and confirms what we all thought, TB & MM didn't so much lose the dressing room they pissed on it and flushed it down the bog. Question remains, why were they not sacked well before the end of the season to save our Prem skins.

Because despite the massive warnings signs and a vocal minority of fans wanting rid, the prevailing mood at the time was still pro butcher.

steakbake
23-01-2016, 07:37 AM
Malpas is a and it speaks volumes that KT is back at Easter Road while Malpas is looking after a baby or on the golf course.

...or meeting up with journos for an exclusive puff piece/job application letter.

Stewboy
23-01-2016, 07:40 AM
Because despite the massive warnings signs and a vocal minority of fans wanting rid, the prevailing mood at the time was still pro butcher.

Really????!

Smartie
23-01-2016, 07:44 AM

We'd also been through manager after manager and wanted to stop the rot and give someone time. There had been enough rumours of players acting up over the years, the "bond" between the players and the fans was a very week one and when the rumours of discontent started it didn't take much for Butcher to get us onside against the players. KT had previous, Fenlon left because he had lost the dressing room - we all wanted to believe in Butcher.

That we finally chose to rally behind far and away the worst management team we had through that entire team had serious repercussions for us.

I'm not proud to admit it but sadly the truth of the matter is took until well after the Hamilton second leg before I turned on Butcher……...

Www1875hfc
23-01-2016, 07:59 AM
Obviously the timing of this article coincides with KT return to Easter Rd.
Still makes me angry just reading it.
Remember a conversation i had with KT regarding Hibs relegation,and the 2 halfwits that managed the clubs demise to the Championship.

In a match Kevin was playing in his usual midfield role,and Malpas was screaming for kevin to play a forward pass.
Kevin shouts back,but there's no one showing,no movement.
Well play a blind pass then FFS Kevin, just get the baw forward bawls Malpas.
Kevin retorts with,away and take a uck at yersell, ah've never played a blind pass in ma life.

Ref. sub. Kevin off you come son.

Man management skills are zero.
Certainly doesnt surprise me that both of them are still without a job.

SeanWilson
23-01-2016, 08:06 AM
Given the fact most of us would give our left testicle for the opportunity to play for hibs, I don't get why people defend the players in all of this. No doubt Butcher and Malpas were on a power trip, 'bullying' if you like, however these guys were being paid to play for hibs and the 'they shafted us' just isn't good enough - they're paid to play football/train for hibs, no matter the management. People are basically accepting that we were relegated because TB and MP were Bully boys and our players st it.

iwasthere1972
23-01-2016, 08:14 AM
Given the fact most of us would give our left testicle for the opportunity to play for hibs, I don't get why people defend the players in all of this. No doubt Butcher and Malpas were on a power trip, 'bullying' if you like, however these guys were being paid to play for hibs and the 'they shafted us' just isn't good enough - they're paid to play football/train for hibs, no matter the management. People are basically accepting that we were relegated because TB and MP were Bully boys and our players st it.

It was the fault of Butcher and Malpas. The players knew that they were getting emptied at the end of the season, most of them were also getting it tight from the fans because they were rank, and that was their way of saying GIRUY Butcher and Malpas. Most of the players who knew that they were on their way out, presumably with us still in the top division, had no longer no loyalty to the management team (and I use that term loosely), the club or the fans. They would move on and Hibs would be a distant bad memory.

Butcher and Malpas. :giruy2:

Since90+2
23-01-2016, 08:17 AM
Who would have thought that the management team coming in and basically telling half the players they are crap and and had no future at the club would not have been conducive to a positive team spirit?

Blaming some of the players is just Malpas all over. Refusing to take responsibility when at the end of the day the management team are the ones who need to manage the squad , perhaps encouragement and not near on bullying would not have resulted in some of the players "shafting" them.

I hope he never works in football again.

Ozyhibby
23-01-2016, 08:20 AM
I supported Butcher at the time until just before the Kilmarnock game. After that I wanted him gone. I had heard all the rumours but I was mostly blaming the players, who lets face it, were a bad lot as well.
Problem is, we are just fans. Petrie was, or at least should have been, a lot closer to the action and should have acted. The pair of them should have been sacked without any compensation for some of the stuff that went on.

NorthNorfolkHFC
23-01-2016, 08:29 AM
Despite it being mostly Malpas and Butchers fault I have a bit sympathy.

Some of the young players just now are far too precious and overpaid and should have just got on with what they were being told.

As far as I'm concerned they never gave their all. If they had just done what Malpas and co said I doubt we would have went down.

Regardless of who is coach you do what is told of you and let the results/chairman do the sacking.

"A friend of mine once said he liked his women like his parmesan: strong smelling and shaved"

Ozyhibby
23-01-2016, 08:30 AM

I agree. The players need to accept their share of the blame as well. We only needed one win in the bottom 6 to get safe and they couldn't just put the head down and get on with it.
It was a perfect storm of a disastrous management team, bad players with a poor attitude and a chairman/CEO who had no interest in the football side of the business. We deserved to go down.

JimBHibees
23-01-2016, 08:32 AM
I supported Butcher at the time until just before the Kilmarnock game. After that I wanted him gone. I had heard all the rumours but I was mostly blaming the players, who lets face it, were a bad lot as well.
Problem is, we are just fans. Petrie was, or at least should have been, a lot closer to the action and should have acted. The pair of them should have been sacked without any compensation for some of the stuff that went on.

Agree fans are on the outside so don't know the true picture. if the atmosphere was that horrific a decision should have been made to get rid and put a couple of the youth coaches in charge for last few games. We may have got a bounce from that. Executive inaction cost us dearly IMO.

Pretty Boy
23-01-2016, 08:38 AM
I don't think it's a bad interview. It seems honest and I can quite believe there were players in that dressing room who didn't show a good attitude, we all saw it with our own eyes.

Carheenlea
23-01-2016, 08:57 AM
I still lay the blame of relegation at the door of Malpas and Butcher. Whatever criticism Malpas has of some of the players, he and Butcher were there to manage, and in that they failed miserably and at great cost to our club.
Neither will ever be welcome back at Easter Road.

Bayern Bru
23-01-2016, 09:01 AM
I don't think it's a bad interview. It seems honest and I can quite believe there were players in that dressing room who didn't show a good attitude, we all saw it with our own eyes.

But did the crap attitude come before or after Butcher and Malpas told them they were s****?

CentreLine
23-01-2016, 09:04 AM
Very happy that MM and TB will never darken our door again but the players who put away the tools are as much to blame and I for one am sceptical to see KT back. Great talent that he was once, if his attitude was as reported, not just in this article, then he was as much to blame for our current position as anyone. And not just him. Thankfully the others have all gone and we are moving in the right direction, for me the jury is out on whether bringing Thomson in continues that trend.

Onion
23-01-2016, 09:04 AM

Yes there were, but M and B were being well paid to manage that. What we saw, and now had confirmed, is they made a horses ass of the job and were the main cause ! Still a travesty that no one was properly held to account for their incompetence. Hibs should have sued them both.

Pretty Boy
23-01-2016, 09:07 AM
Yes there were, but M and B were being well paid to manage that. What we saw, and now had confirmed, is they made a horses ass of the job and were the main cause ! Still a travesty that no one was properly held to account for their incompetence. Hibs should have sued them both.

I absolutely place the majority of the blame with dumb and dumber, no doubt.

But that dressing room needed someone to take it by the scruff of the neck, as KT is said to have done at the Falkirk semi final for example, and batter a bit professional pride into it. Too many just seemed to roll over and work their ticket out of Hibs which was tough to watch.

sbell1875
23-01-2016, 09:11 AM
“I was supposed to have had a fight with Kevin Thomson. Well, Thommo was never on the training pitch long enough for that to have happened."

Granted KT has had a nightmare with injuries over the years but he's also has 2 League winners medals, a Scottish Cup winners medal & 2 League Cup winners medals and has played for Scotland so he can't be that bad.

To echo the views of others, reading this has seriously peeved me off about their disastrous appointment & season.

greenginger
23-01-2016, 09:15 AM
Does Malpas make any mention of the qualities of the 4/5 players they brought to the Club during their time in charge ?

Bostonhibby
23-01-2016, 09:16 AM
I really don't see the need for such a detailed analysis

The only thing I can see needing resolved on the footballing side of our ultimate relegation season is how to apportion liability and rate the incompetence of the following balloons

Maurice Malpas

Terry Butcher

Viva_Palmeiras
23-01-2016, 09:27 AM
How many have been on here past present and future and wanted to go through the players? Well this is what happens if it's done wrong folks. Honest views.

NORTHERNHIBBY
23-01-2016, 09:50 AM
Reading that put me in mind of the film The Damned United. Terrific watch if you haven't seen it already. Brian Clough told all the Leeds players early on that they were all cheats as was their much revered manager Don Revie. Writing was on the wall after that. Often seen that clip used as part of basic management theory. Makes you cringe watching it. You can't expect respect back from people who you have made it clear you have no respect for.

Baader
23-01-2016, 10:04 AM
Stick to the golf Maurice.

Brightside
23-01-2016, 10:05 AM
Stick to the golf Maurice.

Malpas should never be allowed anywhere near footballers for the rest of his life. If the SFA had balls they would remove his badges.

Andy74
23-01-2016, 10:26 AM
"The younger ones, they were just playing at being footballers. They all had their socks rolled up over their knees – what’s that about?"

What the does that have to do with being a footballer?! Who gives a flying one how high they wear their socks.
Apprently he doesn't know what old school means. It means you're a dinosaur! Obsolete! Extinct! Useless! Trash! Garbage! Worthless! Crap!
Should never get another job in football.

I think he has a point about our young players. Too soft and largely enjoying playing at being footballers.

Ozyhibby
23-01-2016, 10:30 AM
Reading that put me in mind of the film The Damned United. Terrific watch if you haven't seen it already. Brian Clough told all the Leeds players early on that they were all cheats as was their much revered manager Don Revie. Writing was on the wall after that. Often seen that clip used as part of basic management theory. Makes you cringe watching it. You can't expect respect back from people who you have made it clear you have no respect for.

Speaking of management theory, the SFA use another Hibs example in their coaching courses.
At half time in the cup final in 2012 the Hibs players came into the dressing having just got themselves back into the match with McPake's goal and should have been lifted. Instead, when they went into the dressing room they were left nameless by Pat Fenlon for the full 15 mins. SFA staff in the corridor outside said it was brutal and when the players left the dressing room for the second half their heads were down and their shoulders slumped. We know what happened next.

Ozyhibby
23-01-2016, 10:32 AM
I think he has a point about our young players. Too soft and largely enjoying playing at being footballers.

I agree. There is very little hunger in any of the young ones who came through recently.

Alex Trager
23-01-2016, 10:39 AM
I agree. There is very little hunger in any of the young ones who came through recently.

Jase disagrees with that but in general I agree

Alex Trager
23-01-2016, 10:39 AM
Speaking of management theory, the SFA use another Hibs example in their coaching courses.
At half time in the cup final in 2012 the Hibs players came into the dressing having just got themselves back into the match with McPake's goal and should have been lifted. Instead, when they went into the dressing room they were left nameless by Pat Fenlon for the full 15 mins. SFA staff in the corridor outside said it was brutal and when the players left the dressing room for the second half their heads were down and their shoulders slumped. We know what happened next.

Meaning?
They were slaughtered by him?

blackpoolhibs
23-01-2016, 10:40 AM
Obviously the timing of this article coincides with KT return to Easter Rd.
Still makes me angry just reading it.
Remember a conversation i had with KT regarding Hibs relegation,and the 2 halfwits that managed the clubs demise to the Championship.

In a match Kevin was playing in his usual midfield role,and Malpas was screaming for kevin to play a forward pass.
Kevin shouts back,but there's no one showing,no movement.
Well play a blind pass then FFS Kevin, just get the baw forward bawls Malpas.
Kevin retorts with,away and take a uck at yersell, ah've never played a blind pass in ma life.

Ref. sub. Kevin off you come son.

Man management skills are zero.
Certainly doesnt surprise me that both of them are still without a job.

I can understand why they took him off, if he wont carry out the managers instructions then get someone on who will.

Smartie
23-01-2016, 10:48 AM
I agree. The players need to accept their share of the blame as well. We only needed one win in the bottom 6 to get safe and they couldn't just put the head down and get on with it.
It was a perfect storm of a disastrous management team, bad players with a poor attitude and a chairman/CEO who had no interest in the football side of the business. We deserved to go down.

This is the bottom line imo. When Pat left fans were angry having seen the team slide over a number of years, decent players were not replaced with adequate alternatives. The squad was an imbalanced mix of bad attitudes, bad abilities and second choice signings having missed out on our real targets. It was a powderkeg that really required the right management team be brought in.

It is laughable that someone, somewhere who should have known a bit of background thought that Butcher and Malpas were the answer. Whilst they must shoulder a great deal of the blame there is one man more than any who created this perfect storm - Petrie - and I still hold him culpable for the whole mess.

But we move on.

We have a manager who will not request that KT hoof blind balls up the park. And whilst I think the problem with young players and their attitudes IS a problem, I don't think it is unique to Hibs. We're not trying to fix the world, we need a manager who can get the best out of talented primadonnas instead of moaning about them and blaming them. I'm confident we now have one.

Smartie
23-01-2016, 10:50 AM

Could you elaborate on this please?

I don't really understand what you mean but I'm very interested to find out.

Ozyhibby
23-01-2016, 10:55 AM
Could you elaborate on this please?

I don't really understand what you mean but I'm very interested to find out.

He basically spent the whole 15 minutes telling them how bad they had been the previous 45mins.
The lesson basically was that it might have been better for Pat to have focused on the fact that we had gave ourselves a chance and that everything was still to play for in the second half, maybe chat about weaknesses in Hearts game that we could work on etc.

Ozyhibby
23-01-2016, 10:58 AM
Meaning?
They were slaughtered by him?

Yes

Broken Gnome
23-01-2016, 11:02 AM
He basically spent the whole 15 minutes telling them how bad they had been the previous 45mins.
The lesson basically was that it might have been better for Pat to have focused on the fact that we had gave ourselves a chance and that everything was still to play for in the second half, maybe chat about weaknesses in Hearts game that we could work on etc.

That should probably have been the easiest teamtalk in history as well.

Smartie
23-01-2016, 11:18 AM

Thanks for that. If that's what he did then I agree 100% with the SFA criticising this approach. He needed to make the players feel 10 feet tall, congratulate them on getting back into the game, tell them how bad Hearts are, focus on their weaknesses showing the players they have nothing to lose and go for it from the first whistle! I'm very disappointed to hear that he handled it that way.

Although a fair point could be made that the SFA are shifting the blame away from their referee giving an abominable penalty decision and reducing us to 10 men at the start of the second half, which arguably had a greater effect on the game…...

Tbh I know there are a lot of people who defend Pat on here but I've heard a lot of dodgy stuff about when he was at the club. Seemingly he tried to walk out on several occasions because he couldn't control the players and there were a number of training ground "incidents". Following one training ground bust-up Ivan Sproule had to follow him to the car park to get him to come back, telling him "you're meant to be the f*****g gaffer" - this was about 2 weeks after Pat joined us! Seemingly he said and did nothing at ht during the Falkirk semi - the dressing room was chaos, players getting torn in about each other - no tactical instruction, no motivation, it was purely the players sorting it out amongst themselves that got us back into that game.

Tyler Durden
23-01-2016, 11:19 AM
People tell him he's too old school and he doesn't understand what it means? Makes me angry reading this crap that Petrie ever brought these clowns to Hibs.

Eyrie
23-01-2016, 11:27 AM
At first read , that seems a reasonable piece putting over Malpas as an intelligent individual who accepts that he made mistakes at Hibs and has learnt from them.

But the article finishes by him discussing his time at Dundee United -

“Then, unfortunately, three or four guys downed tools. They were going to be moving on.

“When the end came I was in bits. The players who were leaving collected their boots looking like they didn’t have a care in the world. I was heartbroken.

“So when I hear that some in the current team are signing pre-contract agreements, I think: ‘How’s that going to pan out?’ It’s just wrong.”

Which means that he learnt nothing from that experience because he and Butcher then created that same situation at Easter Road -

We let it be known we were going to decimate the team and start again, as we’d done at Inverness before. In hindsight, we should have just pee-heed but we never thought we were going to be relegated.

“We should have cajoled the players to the end of the season. We thought we were being kind to those who were going to be in our plans. But what happened was that some of them put their tools away and there was a bad atmosphere. Looking back, you can understand why.

Conclusion - Malpas is set in his ways, ways which worked very well for him when he was a player but which do not work in the modern world. And he can't change them even when he says he can learn from his experiences.

So my response to Malpas has to be at a level he will appreciate "**** aff, ya ****".

Sammy7nil
23-01-2016, 11:27 AM
It was the fault of Butcher and Malpas. The players knew that they were getting emptied at the end of the season, most of them were also getting it tight from the fans because they were rank, and that was their way of saying GIRUY Butcher and Malpas. Most of the players who knew that they were on their way out, presumably with us still in the top division, had no longer no loyalty to the management team (and I use that term loosely), the club or the fans. They would move on and Hibs would be a distant bad memory.

Butcher and Malpas. :giruy2:

Glad you cleared that up, what you are saying is it is fine for the players to chuck it because they knew they were going. Despite the fact the were content to collect their wages. Lets face it the whole saga was a shambles which no one came out of with any credit.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
23-01-2016, 11:30 AM
**** them both.

Big_Franck
23-01-2016, 11:32 AM
Reading that article and this thread reminded me how lucky we are to have Stubbs and his team after all the crap we have endured. He might make the odd mistake but he's still learning and we are rightly all behind him.

As for Malpas the man's an erse and will never get a decent job in football again.

Smartie
23-01-2016, 11:48 AM
Reading that article and this thread reminded me how lucky we are to have Stubbs and his team after all the crap we have endured. He might make the odd mistake but he's still learning and we are rightly all behind him.

As for Malpas the man's an erse and will never get a decent job in football again.

I'm not so sure.

Part of the reason he'll have been doing this article will be to get his name out there again.

Dundee United's slide mirrors our own in so many ways it is frightening. They've been blaming managers left, right and centre and they already seem to be getting on Mixu's back and seem to hate most of their players. The reason they're in the mess they're in is because they have failed miserably to replace talented players who have left and they're not prepared to give the new guys a chance.

The next step for them is to get a tough manager in who will tolerate no nonsense from their work-shy prima donnas, get the defence sorted out, maybe play a bit more direct and who better than a United legend?

(Although whether or not this is a "decent" job is debatable at best).

matty_f
23-01-2016, 12:04 PM
I think that's the first time since they left that either Butcher or Malpas have taken any responsibility for what happened to us when they were in charge.

Acknowledging that they screwed up and that they would do it differently is a start - I think there's also an element of truth in the statement that the players chucked it as well. Liam Craig was on the radio discussing Dundee United's situation after Mixu had slated them, and Liam was talking about our relegation and his views very much reflected a dressing room that wasn't giving its all.

That's unforgivable for me, no matter what you think of the management we had a squad good enough to stay up. They should have been able to do that without a manager, FFS.

Butcher and Malpas clearly made their bed when they came out and slated players, publicly and privately, and that strategy came back to bite them on their backside. From Malpas' interview, it's clear that they didn't manage to clearly articulate or explain their tactics to the team either, so if you've got a squad of players who don't understand what you want them to do, and don't want to understand it either, then you're asking for trouble and it's no surprise in hindsight that it led to relegation.

The management team are ultimately accountable for what happened, but there are a number of players in that side that should hang their heads in shame for effectively downing tools and making a bad situation worse - they are every bit as responsible for what happened.

23-01-2016, 12:15 PM
Malpas is a **** of the highest order. Him and Butcher will NEVER be forgiven for what they did to this club.

**** the both of them! Butcher lived off his ex-England player status for too long, thankfully now he has been found out for what he really is.

patch1875
23-01-2016, 12:51 PM
Gave up reading it due to the awful overuse of nicknames.

Onion
23-01-2016, 12:57 PM

Not lucky, just deeply unlucky to have had so many clowns appointed as manager over recent years.

emerald green
23-01-2016, 01:53 PM

Why any Hibs player playing in the Scottish Cup final against Hearts would need any motivation whatsoever is a mystery to me. Some of the players that day were a disgrace.

silverhibee
23-01-2016, 03:07 PM
Butcher & Malpas were a disaster, that's not in doubt.

But i doubt they were telling the players to go out and lose game after game, remember going up to Ross County and watching Malpas put the team through the warm up, it was very high tempo stuff, when the players came out you just new what the outcome would be, the players were so poor, and at the end of the game I'm pretty sure it wasn't Butcher & Malpas that told them to slump to the ground and that's when they gave up (the players) on us staying in the top flight.

The only thing after relegation that Hibs got wrong was the man who hired pish manager after pish manager still kept his job, STF should have removed him from his position at the club when we got relegated and also put him on gardening leave.

Petrie, Butcher & Malpas & players all have to take some part in the blame for us being relegated, lets not just put it down to the 2 clowns appointed by the elephant in the room.

23-01-2016, 03:30 PM
Theres no doubt that when Butcher and Malpas arrived at hibs they inherited a piss poor, lazy, gutless group of players. That obviously wasn't their fault. However, the team we had, despite being very very poor were still a far far cry from being relegated. These two muppets put us into the most spectacular free fall and playing the most awful football.

Clowns the pair of them and any club now would be completely off their heads to touch either of them with a barge pole.

Northernhibee
23-01-2016, 03:39 PM
I know an ex ICT player who has nothing good to say about him or TB and once our bad run started tipped us to go down. Said they were bullies.

jacomo
23-01-2016, 04:32 PM
In fairness to him he does say that he would do it differently if he had the chance again. He and Butcher were disasters for Hibs but he does, I think, recognize that fact.

Agree. He gets a bit of credit for that.

But he still seems a pretty unlikeable character, him and Butcher like a pair of playground bullies at Hibs.

23-01-2016, 05:04 PM
I know an ex ICT player who has nothing good to say about him or TB and once our bad run started tipped us to go down. Said they were bullies.

Malpas definatly comes across as a horrible piece of work.

Carheenlea
23-01-2016, 05:15 PM
I wouldn't like to have been in earshot of him when Stokes came on this afternoon with his socks pulled up over his knees.

Northernhibee
23-01-2016, 05:18 PM
Malpas definatly comes across as a horrible piece of work.

He was a long serving player who left the club and felt driven out by them.

Purple & Green
23-01-2016, 08:34 PM

The sfa really didn't like pat did they? I suppose it's easier to provide an "example" of a foreign coach who isn't one of the Largs mafia.

There's countless examples of Fergie REALLY getting wired into his Aberdeen players at half time and notably after a Scottish cup final they had won.

Fwiw my recollection of that day is we were dreadful that first half, and that squad turned up and performed as and when they felt like it. Positive reinforcement wasn't going to work with the group we had, it wasn't a nursery of delinquent toddlers. It's quite telling it's a long time since we had a Scottish Largs schooled head coach, yogi?

Famous Fiver
23-01-2016, 08:41 PM
I have no sympathy for Malpas. He and Butcher had plenty of opportunities to improve things but he often chose to turn round and swear at the crowd rather than attend to what was going on in front of him. Saw and heard that for myself.

Didn't witness them personally but there were too many rumours about bullying and macho behaviour for there not to be some truth in them.

Hibs are definitely better off without him (and Butcher).

Mikey09
23-01-2016, 08:58 PM

This is not directed towards you in any way, but good for ****ing him!! The guys an erse. I could tell you a few story's of him at East of Scotland games when the youngsters had a team in that league. Complete tool.

ekhibee
23-01-2016, 10:15 PM
Butcher & Malpas were a disaster, that's not in doubt.

But i doubt they were telling the players to go out and lose game after game, remember going up to Ross County and watching Malpas put the team through the warm up, it was very high tempo stuff, when the players came out you just new what the outcome would be, the players were so poor, and at the end of the game I'm pretty sure it wasn't Butcher & Malpas that told them to slump to the ground and that's when they gave up (the players) on us staying in the top flight.

The only thing after relegation that Hibs got wrong was the man who hired pish manager after pish manager still kept his job, STF should have removed him from his position at the club when we got relegated and also put him on gardening leave.

Petrie, Butcher & Malpas & players all have to take some part in the blame for us being relegated, lets not just put it down to the 2 clowns appointed by the elephant in the room.
Best post by a mile.

brog
24-01-2016, 06:26 PM

That's a strange example to use as a case study! No one will ever know whether the players were lifted or demoralised by PF's talk because soon after the restart Craig T effectively finished the game by his wrongful penalty/red card award. It's funny, when Fergie gets the hairdryer out he's a genius manager, when PF does it they set up training modules to demonstrate his incompetence! I'm no fan of PF's but he was a decent man & I think he would have every right to be seriously p'd off by this.

Winston Ingram
24-01-2016, 06:39 PM
No matter what that bitter prick says, we would never have gone down if it weren't for that pair of clowns.

He destroyed nearly every single players confidence and had 1 tactic which was all based on winning throw ins and corners. Every club in league had worked it out and they had no plan b

PISTOL1875
24-01-2016, 06:46 PM
Butcher and Malpas went about things has to be the biggest understatement ever.. How did they expect the players to play for them when they firstly tell the players that they are all basically ***** and then they are all being shipped out at the end of the season ??

The man-management skills shown by these two were totally honking.. I hope these two never get a job in football every again...

24-01-2016, 06:48 PM
No matter what that bitter prick says, we would never have gone down if it weren't for that pair of clowns.

He destroyed nearly every single players confidence and had 1 tactic which was all based on winning throw ins and corners. Every club in league had worked it out and they had no plan b

Exactly. They shattered the entire morale (not that there was a great deal to start with) and the football they had us playing was painful to watch. Those clowns plummeted the club to a new low, a low that I hoped we would never sink to.

PISTOL1875
24-01-2016, 06:48 PM

It was so bad with one player being bullied by these two that the player involved went to Leeann Dempster asking that if they were going to be at the club for the following season then he was quite happy to buy out the reminder of his contract...

J-C
24-01-2016, 06:52 PM
It was so bad with one player being bullied by these two that the player involved went to Leeann Dempster asking that if they were going to be at the club for the following season then he was quite happy to buy out the reminder of his contract...

This might have been Harris, there was a rumour his mother was trying to buy out his contract.

PISTOL1875
24-01-2016, 06:55 PM
This might have been Harris, there was a rumour his mother was trying to buy out his contract.

:aok::aok::aok:

Not a rumour mate.. A customer of my work is very good friends with the family.. He has always given us snippets about transfer's and gossip from within the club.. Needless to say this news wasn't very good to hear...

24-01-2016, 06:59 PM

Absolutely disgusting if true (which by the way i more than believe probably is!). Embarrassed these two ****ing impostors were ever at our club

JimBHibees
24-01-2016, 07:44 PM
That's a strange example to use as a case study! No one will ever know whether the players were lifted or demoralised by PF's talk because soon after the restart Craig T effectively finished the game by his wrongful penalty/red card award. It's funny, when Fergie gets the hairdryer out he's a genius manager, when PF does it they set up training modules to demonstrate his incompetence! I'm no fan of PF's but he was a decent man & I think he would have every right to be seriously p'd off by this.

Yep very much sounds like an agenda.

Green Fish
24-01-2016, 07:51 PM
Why any Hibs player playing in the Scottish Cup final against Hearts would need any motivation whatsoever is a mystery to me. Some of the players that day were a disgrace.
I totally agree but not as much of a disgrace as the referee, and I use that title in a loose sense. But that is for another thread I will start in a couple of weeks.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/dundee-united/interview-maurice-malpas-on-what-went-wrong-at-hibs-1-4009210

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

proud_and_green
24-01-2016, 09:31 PM
I find it incredible in the article that he says that he would do things differently if he had another chance. The evidence suggests that he would not do things differently where they really matter! All he means is that he wouldn't tell the players that they didn't have a future. All he rest would stay the same.

It seems that he has fallen out with every dressing room and all players who have played in his teams have withdrawn their services. It is surely not coincidence that this happened - cause and effect. He (and Butcher) is the cause and the effect is the players not responding. He also seems to take pride in the fact that he swore more than Ji McLean felt was acceptable!!!

What a buffoon! Well rid!

Forza Fred
24-01-2016, 10:07 PM
Butcher and Malpas went about things has to be the biggest understatement ever.. How did they expect the players to play for them when they firstly tell the players that they are all basically ***** and then they are all being shipped out at the end of the season ??

The man-management skills shown by these two were totally honking.. I hope these two never get a job in football every again...

I have no concern whether they get another job in football.....in fact I'd be quite happy if they reappeared at Tynecastle, or Ibrox.

On your other points I totally, agree.....their style surely is from another era, which in these days of highly paid players, who hold most of the aces, is no longer suitable.

Bishop Hibee
24-01-2016, 10:32 PM
Compare the signings they made to those of Stubbs. Utter roasters. Owen Tudor-Jones? The Burns statue at the foot of Constitution St would have been more mobile.

Alex Trager
24-01-2016, 10:43 PM
Compare the signings they made to those of Stubbs. Utter roasters. Owen Tudor-Jones? The Burns statue at the foot of Constitution St would have been more mobile.

That was Fenlon mate

Smartie
24-01-2016, 11:06 PM
I'd actually say their signings were the one thing they couldn't reasonably be criticised for, poor as their signings were for us.

Petrie was probably the most complacent person at the club at that time and didn't exactly make it easy for them to wheel and deal. I certainly can't argue that the 3 players they brought in made a major impact - they didn't - but there were mitigating circumstances.

Watmore was booted off the park in his first game, had he played more then we might have been ok. He's certainly showing enough now to suggest he's a decent player and was worth taking a punt on.

Haynes was poor and his career was on a serious downwards trajectory by the time he came to us. But his credentials were such that he was probably worth taking a punt on. Our striking options were shamefully limited and it was criminal that we weren't bringing strikers in on day one of the window (as Stubbs seems to be able to do now, with LD's backing).

Boateng didn't do anything but our defence wasn't really the problem throughout that season.

Were these players any worse than the utter dross that was signed in the previous 5 or 6 transfer windows? With the exception of the inspired signing of Sparky which papered over a multitude of cracks, I'd say no.

It was a transfer window that to me smacked of Petrie being the main player, enforcing departures prior to recruitment. This policy (coupled with the brutal implementation of it by the Butcher) destroyed the dressing room and with the major effect it had on us could be said to have contributed massively to our relegation and financially cost us millions.

The main stick to beat Butcher and Malpas with is the man-management one. It was a textbook example of how not to manage people and that is what they did worse than anyone else who has ever set foot in our club.

hfc rd
25-01-2016, 12:36 AM

OTJ was signed by Fenlon

They signed 3 players. All three on loan I think.

Danny Haynes - gash
Daniel Boateng - utter horrendous
Duncan Watmore - good player but didn't play much when he was here due to injury