PDA

View Full Version : Comments From a St Mirren Fan

HIBERNIAN 1875
22-01-2016, 11:38 PM
I have a mate from Paisley who has just posted this on facebook....

"Again Hibernian FC are charging Disabled people (Wheelchair) users the highest price for entry to the game. They charge is the highest entry fee in the whole of Scotland. That combined with the highest price that people have to pay for a pie & Bovril. It is little wonder when they have administration problems for the disabled. Not once in numerous times I have went through, excuses include the tickets not being valid, blaming St.Mirren for cancelling them, refusing to allocate other ones on the day, putting you in with Hibs supporters etc... etc.. A few years ago I remember a young man with downs syndrome not being classed disabled, fortunately some buddies clubbed together and purchased a full priced adult ticket for the man.

THE BOTTOM LINE IS HIBERNIAN FOOTBALL CLUB ARE THE WORST IN SCOTLAND FOR THE WAY THEY TREAT DISABLED PEOPLE."

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?, disgraceful if true. :confused:

Unseen work
22-01-2016, 11:44 PM
If they cut the prices for some disabled fans they would have to do it for everyone with a disabillity, even those with minor disabilities who dont mind paying the full price so it could be difficult for the club to come to a conclusion.

The thing about the downsyndrome male if true is shocking however

Mibbes Aye
22-01-2016, 11:49 PM

"Again Hibernian FC are charging Disabled people (Wheelchair) users the highest price for entry to the game. They charge is the highest entry fee in the whole of Scotland. That combined with the highest price that people have to pay for a pie & Bovril. It is little wonder when they have administration problems for the disabled. Not once in numerous times I have went through, excuses include the tickets not being valid, blaming St.Mirren for cancelling them, refusing to allocate other ones on the day, putting you in with Hibs supporters etc... etc.. A few years ago I remember a young man with downs syndrome not being classed disabled, fortunately some buddies clubbed together and purchased a full priced adult ticket for the man.

THE BOTTOM LINE IS HIBERNIAN FOOTBALL CLUB ARE THE WORST IN SCOTLAND FOR THE WAY THEY TREAT DISABLED PEOPLE."

Your mate's post is barely literate. It would make sense to break down the individual points, be specific about when they happened and what happened and direct them to the club. If the response is unsatisfactory then it would be appropriate to escalate matters.

The last line is a strong statement and a bit emotive and I would be surprised if your mate had been round every club in Scotland and experienced how they treat disabled people, in order to accuse Hibs of being the worst, but I stand to be corrected.

As I say, be specific about any issues or problems and be clear in articulating them to the club. If you get what feels like an unfair response then a site like this is probably a great place to draw wider attention to it.

NORTHERNHIBBY
22-01-2016, 11:53 PM
Not sure that a disability makes you any more or less of a fan so the prices should be the same?

givescotlandfreedom
22-01-2016, 11:56 PM
I'm sure there's a Hibernian disabled supporters' club who could maybe shed some light on this?

monktonharp
22-01-2016, 11:57 PM
I am sceptical about this one. Possibly someone has had a "bad" experience trying to get disabled tickets but not heard of this being an ongoing problem. Is there not a disabled supporters assc, to raise this with, along with mailing HFC?

Jim44
22-01-2016, 11:57 PM
I would be genuinely surprised if Leanne Dempster had not already routinely dealt with this kind of issue. I hope the complainant is equally miffed when his team get a four goal gubbing tomorrow.

B.H.F.C
23-01-2016, 12:02 AM
Most teams, as far as I know, let the wheelchair user in for free and charge a carer. I think Hibs sell season tickets on that basis? Don't see why they would treat away fans differently and don't think they would. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on all of that!!

Jack
23-01-2016, 12:02 AM
If the complainant wants to turn up early tomorrow there's a meeting of the Hibs Disabled Supporters.

I'm certain he/she would get a fair hearing.

Maybe the OP could pass this on.

cabbageandribs1875
23-01-2016, 12:03 AM
by sheer coincidence

On Saturday 23 January before the St Mirren game, the Hibernian Disabled Supporters' Association (HDSA) are hosting their monthly meeting in the Members Lounge within the Forthview Suite of the Famous Five Stand.

The meeting will begin at 12:30 and after the meeting their will be question and answer session with two former players, Peter Cormack and John Fraser.

Scottie
23-01-2016, 12:14 AM
Not sure that a disability makes you any more or less of a fan so the prices should be the same?
Show some compassion for god sake.

HIBERNIAN 1875
23-01-2016, 12:23 AM
If the complainant wants to turn up early tomorrow there's a meeting of the Hibs Disabled Supporters.

I'm certain he/she would get a fair hearing.

Maybe the OP could pass this on.

I have linked this thread to him via Facebook so hopefully he can shed more light on it, or attend the meeting.

FromTheCapital
23-01-2016, 12:40 AM

I understand where he's coming from to be fair.

Some disabilities are awful but should that really affect the price? I'm not being ignorant, it's just my controversial opinion.

I have a disabled cousin myself and I must say Hibs have always been terrific with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forza Fred
23-01-2016, 05:58 AM
I think Fans Board rep Frank Dougan recently reported that one of the things he was involved in surrounded disabled supporters.....if someone had a word in his ear I'm
sure he would look into it.

MWHIBBIES
23-01-2016, 06:27 AM
Has the guy tried speaking to Hibs and St Mirren about it or just gone strait to facebook for a good moan?

green day
23-01-2016, 06:44 AM

St Mirren charge £10 for a wheelchair user and its free for the carer.
Hibs charge the ticket price (for today, £22) and the carer is free,

I believe the jambos give wheelchair users a concession price too - so the guy may be right about our pricing ??

As noted before, perhaps timely given the meeting today.

However..........clearly there cant be any change this season, as we will have home season ticket holders who are wheelchair users that have already paid full whack.

anon1875
23-01-2016, 06:56 AM
Somebody get on to the club and see if it can be changed in the future. Maybe to something like a concession ticket and carer goes free.

Colr
23-01-2016, 06:57 AM

Do you get concessions for elderly or unemployed?

If a disabled person cannot work on account of their disability, there is an argument. If it's judged on the same basis as some blue badge schemes with a low threshold it might be unfair to others if concessions are offered.

Smartie
23-01-2016, 06:57 AM
Your mate's post is barely literate. It would make sense to break down the individual points, be specific about when they happened and what happened and direct them to the club. If the response is unsatisfactory then it would be appropriate to escalate matters.

The last line is a strong statement and a bit emotive and I would be surprised if your mate had been round every club in Scotland and experienced how they treat disabled people, in order to accuse Hibs of being the worst, but I stand to be corrected.

As I say, be specific about any issues or problems and be clear in articulating them to the club. If you get what feels like an unfair response then a site like this is probably a great place to draw wider attention to it.

Under the circumstances I think it is a bit distasteful to criticise literacy levels - we know nothing about this person's disability.

We've been conditioned to being screwed by Hibs and have largely come to accept it. The prices we were being charged during our "descent" considering what was being invested into the product on the park was nothing short of scandalous.

Now we're in the league we're in we've all accepted that we need to pay what we do in oder to see football of the quality we do.

It doesn't mean that away fans have to agree and I can see why so many of them get annoyed. Falkirk fans, Rangers fans - now St Mirren fans have all been complaining.

The way we treat away fans is shocking (in a very different way to Ibrox). My mate was at the first Raith game and texted me 15 minutes in to ask if their end was full and I replied that it was not. He'd been waiting outside since 2:45 so hadn't been late yet a bungle regarding printing tickets so him miss a large chunk of the match through no fault of his own.

The fact that we give away fans a patronising wee shout out doesn't mean that I think we don't need to do better in this area.

Dublin07
23-01-2016, 07:12 AM
It would appear this guy has had a rough deal from Hibs over the years but most of us did before Ms Dempster was in charge. He should email disabledtickets@hibernianfc.co.uk as i am sure contacting the club directly rather than moaning on facebook would give him more chances of sorting this issue.
On the issue of pricing Hibs offer very well priced season tickets for disabled fans which includes a carer. I have previously supported a guy with downs syndrome at games and he received excellent service from the club.
I take my own sons to the games. One has autism and one has tourettes. I always pay full childs prices for them as they do not have a restricted view and are mostly able to enjoy the experience of the game without the need for additional support(the wee man struggles with sitting in one place but normally people around us are very supportive and understanding).
The poster that suggested all disabled people should pay full price was being extremely unkind and obviously has no experience of these matters. The gentleman i supported only had around 10% vision and could not understand the rules or even what the score was but loved the match day experience. Are you really saying he should pay full price.

Scouse Hibee
23-01-2016, 07:15 AM

Barely literate? Deary me, the guy has posted something on Facebook and made his point perfectly well, is there really any need to question his literacy skills.

Pretty Boy
23-01-2016, 07:22 AM
I know a couple of disabled Hibs fans and they have nothing but good things to say about the facilities Hibs provide for them. By their accounts they are the best in Scotland.

With regards pricing it is a tricky one. If someone has a mobility issue for example that still allows them to work full time then I'm not sure I see why there should be a reduced price tbh. For a carer? Absolutely should be FOC. If someone is unable to work then again there should be a reduction. Students are asked to provide proof of being a student, the elderly may be asked to provide proof of age to buy a concession so is it massively wrong for someone to provide proof of inability to work? From my experience it's not exactly a rare occurence for those in such an unfortunate situation.

green day
23-01-2016, 07:38 AM
The way we treat away fans is shocking My mate was at the first Raith game and texted me 15 minutes in to ask if their end was full and I replied that it was not. He'd been waiting outside since 2:45 so hadn't been late yet a bungle regarding printing tickets so him miss a large chunk of the match through no fault of his own.

The fact that we give away fans a patronising wee shout out doesn't mean that I think we don't need to do better in this area.

Really? So your mate had one issue in one game and that equates to us treating away fans poorly?

I walk through Lochend park so pass the away game on my way to the West.

It is invariably pretty dead, a few people getting tickets at the booth before a short stroll to a big modern stand with great sightlines.

Its a long way from some of the s**tholes I have visited on away trips, so perhaps worth reassessing the bit in bold based on one mans experience of one game.

As for pricing? I am fine with it, and if Hibs reduce it for me, they can reduce it for the away fans and not before.

green&left
23-01-2016, 07:50 AM

Tell your pal we're rip off *******s for everyone, not just wheelchair users.

I'm going to AC Milan v Inter next week cheaper than it costs today to get into ER.

Pretty Boy
23-01-2016, 07:53 AM
Oh good looks like we are on our way to another let's kick **** out the club thread.

This will be fun.

Carheenlea
23-01-2016, 08:02 AM
There is a guy who sits behind me who may or may not suffer from tourettes. Quite hard to tell.

DH1875
23-01-2016, 08:03 AM
To be fair, in genral our tickets are expensive so not sure why folk would be surprised that our disabled tickets are amongst the most expensive.

MWHIBBIES
23-01-2016, 08:09 AM

I'm going to AC Milan v Inter next week cheaper than it costs today to get into ER.The San Siro is falling to bits and Milan had 28k at their last home game, I'm surprised they aren't giving tickets away in cereal packets.

southsider
23-01-2016, 08:13 AM
I'm sure there's a Hibernian disabled supporters' club who could maybe shed some light on this?

They have a meeting today at 12.30 in the FF stand.

NORTHERNHIBBY
23-01-2016, 08:36 AM
Do you get concessions for elderly or unemployed?

If a disabled person cannot work on account of their disability, there is an argument. If it's judged on the same basis as some blue badge schemes with a low threshold it might be unfair to others if concessions are offered.

But not everyone who uses a wheelchair is unemployed surely?

Ged
23-01-2016, 08:37 AM

I'm going to AC Milan v Inter next week cheaper than it costs today to get into ER.

Have you done the sums?

What would you make the cost when we have fan ownership and how will any reduction be funded? Remember that there's no overdraft and the sugar daddy will be gone by then.

NORTHERNHIBBY
23-01-2016, 08:39 AM

Read Unseen Work post for my point perhaps better made.

LancashireHibby
23-01-2016, 08:46 AM
Because of my work, I have to follow quite closely the procedures with regards to disabled ticketing and the like.

Level Playing Field are the body in England & Wales that produce guidelines for this sort of thing and presumably there is a Scottish equivalent?

Their guidelines state that, to avoid any positive discrimination cases, the disabled supporter should be charged the price relevant to the able-bodied price category (most commonly aged-based, though that in itself could be a can of worms in terms of discrimination and the like) and then admit the carer of free charge. Some clubs do still charge a concessionary rate, but that simply means they aren't keeping track of changes being pushed for by bodies that represent disabled supporters.

Smartie
23-01-2016, 08:47 AM
Really? So your mate had one issue in one game and that equates to us treating away fans poorly?

I walk through Lochend park so pass the away game on my way to the West.

It is invariably pretty dead, a few people getting tickets at the booth before a short stroll to a big modern stand with great sightlines.

Its a long way from some of the s**tholes I have visited on away trips, so perhaps worth reassessing the bit in bold based on one mans experience of one game.

As for pricing? I am fine with it, and if Hibs reduce it for me, they can reduce it for the away fans and not before.

That was one guy's experience.

I have mates who support Falkirk and Rangers who moan constantly about our prices. As I say, we're conditioned to it but it is still a shock for other teams when they come and have to pay our prices.

I get really pissed off when Dunfermline don't anticipate the big crowds we inevitably take through there and put appropriate staff levels to work on the away end. I suspect Hibs budget for the 3 men and a dog we normally get in the away end these days (as you describe) and therefore can't cope when a couple of hundred more than expected come through.

I've heard (probably on here) that we get occasional bother at the away end and the experience of my mates who support other teams isn't always positive. We don't really have a right to criticise the away supports we get if we make it any harder than it needs to be for them to attend.

Brightside
23-01-2016, 08:57 AM
Down syndrome isn't classed as a bodily disability. A few guys near us have down syndrome. Standard seating and tickets. As for someone complaining coz they turned up at 245 and didn't get in on time. Tough. Turn up earlier .

SunshineOnLeith
23-01-2016, 09:54 AM
Is the guy's issue that we charge full price rather than classing them as a concession? Hardly seems worth that level of anger, it's a ticket to a football match.

Smartie
23-01-2016, 09:59 AM
Is the guy's issue that we charge full price rather than classing them as a concession? Hardly seems worth that level of anger, it's a ticket to a football match.

Presumably the guy goes to see St.Mirren every week, this week he's being charged twice what he normally does. For those on a limited budget these things can be annoying.

Doesn't bother me when it happens - I don't have a divine right to go to anything. If the price bothers me that much, I don't go. But I understand not everyone is like that and I think the guy brings up reasonable points, worthy of debate at least.

oconnors_strip
23-01-2016, 11:12 AM
It's something that the Scottish disabled supporters association are looking in to. They are compiling a list of all teams in spfl and their costs for entry, access, facilities etc and will produce a document for all fans to see, especially the sfa.

As for Easter road, only fans who get disability living allowance or personal independence payment at a certain level are eligible for disabled tickets. About prices, it's something that has spoken about many times and if people have issues please get in touch with the hibs disabled association info@hdsa.org.uk

Hibrandenburg
23-01-2016, 04:56 PM
In the past I've been to games at ER with someone with a disability pass. They paid the full price and I got in with them for free as their carer. Of course I paid for the ticket but all in all you can't say fairer than that. It might have changed now though :dunno:

green day
23-01-2016, 06:24 PM
Well, presumably the St Mirren fan didn't bother in the end as there were no wheelchairs in the away end.

The prices must have put off the able bodied too, as they brought less than 400 punters.

Jay
23-01-2016, 06:28 PM
It's something that the Scottish disabled supporters association are looking in to. They are compiling a list of all teams in spfl and their costs for entry, access, facilities etc and will produce a document for all fans to see, especially the sfa.

As for Easter road, only fans who get disability living allowance or personal independence payment at a certain level are eligible for disabled tickets. About prices, it's something that has spoken about many times and if people have issues please get in touch with the hibs disabled association info@hdsa.org.uk

This is what I was about to say, certainly a few years ago when my dad got his disabled ticket he had to go down to the ticket office with all his paperwork proving he got DLA or whatever it's called now and I'm sure it had to be the higher level.

iwasthere1972
23-01-2016, 06:35 PM
Well, presumably the St Mirren fan didn't bother in the end as there were no wheelchairs in the away end.

The prices must have put off the able bodied too, as they brought less than 400 punters.

I was surprised that it was as many as 360 or whatever it was. A good turnout when you consider their average home attendance and current league placing.

O'Rourke3
24-01-2016, 09:31 PM
How did the meeting go yesterday

Sir David Gray
24-01-2016, 09:40 PM
As a disabled supporter myself, Hibs are nowhere near the worst club in Scotland for their treatment of disabled supporters.

The pricing could probably be looked at but in terms of facilities etc, Hibs are one of the best.

Speedy
24-01-2016, 09:49 PM
In the past I've been to games at ER with someone with a disability pass. They paid the full price and I got in with them for free as their carer. Of course I paid for the ticket but all in all you can't say fairer than that. It might have changed now though :dunno:

Could debate it either way but it seems fair enough to me. I may be wrong but would imagine most carers are fans, so can go halfers with their friend.

IWasThere2016
24-01-2016, 09:51 PM
This is an honest question - no agenda etc - do disabled persons get cheaper seats on a plane, train etc?

Or is it likely to just be alternative eg more appropriate seating?

SquashedFrogg
24-01-2016, 10:05 PM
This is an honest question - no agenda etc - do disabled persons get cheaper seats on a plane, train etc?

Certainly free for trains :agree:

Some of the comments on this thread are borderline scary for me.

SunshineOnLeith
24-01-2016, 10:09 PM

Are they?

I found that surprising so had a quick Google and found this: http://www.disabledpersons-railcard.co.uk/

Just looks like the same deal as young person's rail card, i.e. pay £20 for the year, get 1/3 off.

Could be wrong as it's a subject I know nothing about, admittedly.

Sir David Gray
24-01-2016, 10:13 PM

Train travel isn't free - it's full price unless you apply for a pass and even that would just entitle you to reduced travel costs.

oconnors_strip
24-01-2016, 10:46 PM
How did the meeting go yesterday

Was productive, the chairman spoke about the objectives for the season and long term future, leeann was there to talk briefly and answer questions about the loyalty points and issues with carer tickets and a few more questions were asked to the chairman. Then peter cormack and John Fraser answered questions. Hopefully hibs will document this on the official site and also will be on the hibs dsa site.

Not on planes, however on trains as others have stated there is a disabled rail card which can be purchased for the year and this entitles you and your group travelling to get 1/3 off. For buses in scotland you will receive a pass which gives free travel on all buses if you eligible, these are just a few examples- Receive disability living allowance, are a blue badge holder, have been told by the DVLA you can't drive due to a medical condition. There is also a taxi card which you can apply for from your local council to get discount on pre book black taxis.

Hibernia&Alba
25-01-2016, 01:24 PM
Down syndrome isn't classed as a bodily disability. A few guys near us have down syndrome. Standard seating and tickets. As for someone complaining coz they turned up at 245 and didn't get in on time. Tough. Turn up earlier .

I'm surprised that people with Downs aren't given a concession. I just always assumed someone with a permanent disability of that kind would.