PDA

View Full Version : Famous Five on ALBA

Deansy
22-01-2016, 09:51 AM
Apologies if posted elsewhere but BBC ALBA are showing a documentary about the Famous Five on Sunday-night at 9pm - can't wait !!

Bukta#8
22-01-2016, 10:25 AM
Apologies if posted elsewhere but BBC ALBA are showing a documentary about the Famous Five on Sunday-night at 9pm - can't wait !!

Will it have subtitles for the non Gaelic speaking Hibernian's

bod
22-01-2016, 10:31 AM
repeated Friday 29th at 21:50 & Saturday 30th at 22:55
if like me your taping Deutschland 83 via the Betamax recorder

iwasthere1972
22-01-2016, 11:01 AM

Brilliant. I loved Enid Blyton. Read all the books as well. Lashings of ginger beer.

Billychaotic182
22-01-2016, 11:25 AM

I second this question lol

franks
23-01-2016, 10:19 AM

Thanks for that, struggling to watch this Sunday and my Betamax is on the blink.

Leithenhibby
23-01-2016, 10:35 AM

I second this question lol

There are subtitles, but enough English within the documentary so you can follow the story :cb

It's brilliant :aok:

Bukta#8
23-01-2016, 11:26 AM
There are subtitles, but enough English within the documentary so you can follow the story :cb

It's brilliant :aok:

Just need to persuade the family to watch the famous 5 over there favourite Hawaii 5-0

NORTHERNHIBBY
23-01-2016, 11:47 AM

You can catch Deutsch land 83 on C4+1 . Unmissable.

blackpoolhibs
23-01-2016, 11:52 AM

If you press the red button on your remote, it changes to English.

HiBremian
23-01-2016, 11:53 AM
Brilliant. I loved Enid Blyton. Read all the books as well. Lashings of ginger beer.

:greengrin But the follow up about the Butcher and Malpas era is the "Comic Strip presents" version :wink:

ozwoody
23-01-2016, 12:27 PM

Lashings of ginger beer never was in 5s books, only in comic strip presents.
Although there was lashings of boiled eggs and the occasional lashings of snakes.
Good old QI

matty_f
23-01-2016, 12:34 PM
You can catch Deutsch land 83 on C4+1 . Unmissable.

Better getting it on On-Demand, then you can still have it in HD. TV in SD is second rate, though it does add to the Eastern German feel of the show, I suppose. :greengrin

fatbloke
23-01-2016, 12:49 PM
:greengrin But the follow up about the Butcher and Malpas era is the "Comic Strip presents" version :wink:

You hodderim and i'll heiderim, heiderim hodderim hey.

Stevie Reid
18-06-2018, 08:41 AM
This came up on the iPlayer after I finished watching The Impossible Job last night - hadn't seen it before, was a really enjoyable and emotional watch:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06yrhnd

Available for another few weeks.

Greenbeard
18-06-2018, 01:57 PM
This came up on the iPlayer after I finished watching The Impossible Job last night - hadn't seen it before, was a really enjoyable and emotional watch:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06yrhnd

Available for another few weeks.
Braw and def worth a watch, even though the use of a run-down Meadowbank for much of the presenter's pieces to camera and the re-enactments is odd. Some odd choices for the soundtrack too, apart from SoL towards the end which does make for an emotional ending.

Stevie Reid
18-06-2018, 02:18 PM
Braw and def worth a watch, even though the use of a run-down Meadowbank for much of the presenter's pieces to camera and the re-enactments is odd. Some odd choices for the soundtrack too, apart from SoL towards the end which does make for an emotional ending.

Yeah the micro budget can't be hidden, and some bizarre choices as you say (though I presume they used Meadowbank specifically because it looks run down), but I thought it got all the important things right - pretty much a chronological telling of how they got to Hibs, followed by the impact they had, with some really interesting and touching contributions from family members, Irvine Welsh and of course, Lawrie Reilly and John Ogilvie (his "no danger" interjection was possibly my favourite bit of all).

Also didn't make any bones about how revered they were at that time - and still are, obviously.

Stevie Reid
18-06-2018, 02:21 PM
Also, for all people talk about the OF monopoly now, it's staggering to think that between Third Lanark in 1904 and us in 1948, Motherwell's one Division One win was the only time the league wasn't won by Rangers or Celtic.

Greenbeard
18-06-2018, 02:26 PM
Yeah the micro budget can't be hidden, and some bizarre choices as you say (though I presume they used Meadowbank specifically because it looks run down), but I thought it got all the important things right - pretty much a chronological telling of how they got to Hibs, followed by the impact they had, with some really interesting and touching contributions from family members, Irvine Welsh and of course, Lawrie Reilly and John Ogilvie (his "no danger" interjection was possibly my favourite bit of all).

Also didn't make any bones about how revered they were at that time - and still are, obviously.
And this of course, which presumably any Hibby who has ever been on You Tube will have seen already.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsO53XIkFCY

Fuzzywuzzy
22-06-2018, 08:48 PM
Just watching this on alba. Some of the footage of training has a green and white quartered top. Was this just a training top or totally unrelated to us?

KWJ
23-06-2018, 07:56 AM
Is this the programme that the Erin Hibs boys were involved in for some of the recreations or was that something else?

Billy Whizz
23-06-2018, 08:11 AM
Think Oli Shaw is the only one of the 5 young lads who played the parts, who’s still at Hibs

Keith_M
23-06-2018, 09:04 AM
I watched it yesterday on Alba and it was really good.

Well, all except the Irvine Welsh contributions, as he sounded like a drugged up Ned that had never learnt to speak properly.

nonshinyfinish
23-06-2018, 09:23 PM
This is a good watch, but what's up with the camerawork? Randomly panning about and zooming in on the presenter.

I get that they want to do something other than just 'presenter stands on Arthurs Seat with ER in the background', but it's just irritating.