PDA

View Full Version : Willis Young and Hugh Dallas.

greenlex
22-01-2016, 01:22 AM
Anyone else listen to Sportsounds piece last night? Both these refs reminising about their time in the top league. Fairly entertaining and at times amusing. What did make me look a bit quizzical tho was a Story about added time.
During a Cetic v Aberdeen match where Young was the ref and Dallas the 4th official You g had indicated 4 mins of added time at the end. Dallas got pelters from the. Fans closest to the dug out as presumably they thought that's award excessive.In itself neither here nor there.
What did disturb me was that a wee while later Dallas was ref during a Turkey V Germany World cup qualifier in an "atmospheric" arena with Young the 4th official. Turkey were a goal up and needed the win to qualify. Germany were pressing and Dallas decided to getYoung back for his earlier "Prank". He indicated to him 6 added mins. All quite a jolly jape eh? I say horrendously unprofessional at any time but in a World Cup Qualifier? FFS Anyhoo thought I'd share it.

tamig
22-01-2016, 01:54 AM
I heard a bit of it and what I did hear was quite entertaining. I didn't hear the World Cup qualifier story though. That does seem very unprofessional.

Andy Bee
22-01-2016, 03:16 AM
Anyone else listen to Sportsounds piece last night? Both these refs reminising about their time in the top league. Fairly entertaining and at times amusing. What did make me look a bit quizzical tho was a Story about added time.
During a Cetic v Aberdeen match where Young was the ref and Dallas the 4th official You g had indicated 4 mins of added time at the end. Dallas got pelters from the. Fans closest to the dug out as presumably they thought that's award excessive.In itself neither here nor there.
What did disturb me was that a wee while later Dallas was ref during a Turkey V Germany World cup qualifier in an "atmospheric" arena with Young the 4th official. Turkey were a goal up and needed the win to qualify. Germany were pressing and Dallas decided to getYoung back for his earlier "Prank". He indicated to him 6 added mins. All quite a jolly jape eh? I say horrendously unprofessional at any time but in a World Cup Qualifier? FFS Anyhoo thought I'd share it.

I listened to it and TBH thought the same, if they're going to use a game like that to get "one back" it makes you wonder how seriously refs take their position especially after last weeks wrong penalty decision .

vuefrom1875
22-01-2016, 07:11 AM
Couple of funnys.

blackpoolhibs
22-01-2016, 07:14 AM
That's shocking if true, and very very unprofessional.

Is anyone really surprised though? :rolleyes:

johnbc70
22-01-2016, 07:24 AM
Scottish Refs in unprofessional shocker.

Not surprised in the slightest.

JimBHibees
22-01-2016, 08:19 AM
Scottish Refs in unprofessional shocker.

Not surprised in the slightest.

Yep hysterical banter and kind of confirms the impression that they think it is all about them an attitude which still permeates through the refereeing fraternity IMO. Pathetic.

superfurryhibby
22-01-2016, 08:21 AM

Not quite sure that Dallas fabricated the added time, more that he took some pleasure from it when telling Young.

I thought it was a great interview. Both came across well, with Young in particular showing a sense of humour and self deprecation. I liked his account of sending of the hideously ugly Phil Stamp when he scored a late equaliser (weren't they all in those days) for them at ER.

Interested to hear the stories of managers ranting and threatening career oblivion etc. very little of that ever makes the press, yet it was clearly a common theme. Behind closed doors etc, the hidden world of football is still a closed shop and there is a heck of a lot that never really makes the public domain.

steakbake
22-01-2016, 08:22 AM
Did they tell the one about the Pope joke email?

Ahh quality banter from Scotland's finest.

Hermit Crab
22-01-2016, 08:23 AM
No, Dallas had added the right amount of added time it was just very apt that WY was fourth official having to display the board after park head.

NadeAteMyLunch!
22-01-2016, 08:32 AM
I used to hate Willie Young reffing our games. Seemed to give us nothing. When I moaned about him at the time I never realised Craig Thomson would be along to take his place when he retired. Probably wouldn't have moaned as much if I had [emoji57]

Hermit Crab
22-01-2016, 08:33 AM
I used to hate Willie Young reffing our games. Seemed to give us nothing. When I moaned about him at the time I never realised Craig Thomson would be along to take his place when he retired. Probably wouldn't have moaned as much if I had [emoji57]

I thought they were both very good refs.

NORTHERNHIBBY
22-01-2016, 08:36 AM
The cult of the referee is a bigger issue. In days gone by, the ref was not really part of the game, more like this man in charge. Now they are like pantomime villains and bating and disagreeing with them is now all part of the show. Players are largely to blame for this but the officials are culpable too.

Bayern Bru
22-01-2016, 08:42 AM
That story features in Richard Gordon's Tales from the Dug-out book.

Young actually comes across as quite the character in the book.

JimBHibees
22-01-2016, 08:43 AM

Just not in Hibs games.

Hermit Crab
22-01-2016, 08:46 AM
That story features in Richard Gordon's Tales from the Dug-out book.

Young actually comes across as quite the character in the book.

He was excellent as an after dinner speaker at one of the Hibs player of the year awards one year.

superfurryhibby
22-01-2016, 08:49 AM
The cult of the referee is a bigger issue. In days gone by, the ref was not really part of the game, more like this man in charge. Now they are like pantomime villains and bating and disagreeing with them is now all part of the show. Players are largely to blame for this but the officials are culpable too.

Not sure about that. Our refs have always liked the limelight in my time watching football. Guys like Tiny Wharton ( just before my time) and many others have been pretty prominent characters. Can you really get bigger pantomime Gillian's than Bobby Davidson, Brian McGinlay, Hugh Dallas etc.....? Same with disagreeing with them. I recall guys like Willie Miller having a reputation for doing a good job as the fourth official and didn't we all love to offer him our views on his performance.

lapsedhibee
22-01-2016, 09:06 AM

Seem to remember Young foretelling this as, or just before, he retired, in a "You think I'm bad, wait till you see what's taking over from me!" sort of a way.

bod
22-01-2016, 09:34 AM
Jefferies & broon next week
he's been places yea ken

lord bunberry
22-01-2016, 10:08 AM
Not quite sure that Dallas fabricated the added time, more that he took some pleasure from it when telling Young.

I thought it was a great interview. Both came across well, with Young in particular showing a sense of humour and self deprecation. I liked his account of sending of the hideously ugly Phil Stamp when he scored a late equaliser (weren't they all in those days) for them at ER.

Interested to hear the stories of managers ranting and threatening career oblivion etc. very little of that ever makes the press, yet it was clearly a common theme. Behind closed doors etc, the hidden world of football is still a closed shop and there is a heck of a lot that never really makes the public domain.
Alas I think Stamp actually scored the winner that day, we were winning 1-0 and they got 2 late goals. It was probably the most gutted I've ever been at the end of a derby.

Hermit Crab
22-01-2016, 10:20 AM
Alas I think Stamp actually scored the winner that day, we were winning 1-0 and they got 2 late goals. It was probably the most gutted I've ever been at the end of a derby.

That was a tough one to take.I was gutted.

Just Jimmy
22-01-2016, 11:11 AM
Hugh Dallas gave the worst penalty award I've seen.

Boxing day 2002. Ully Laursen on the ground in a push up position inside the box, in the process of getting up off the ground.

Shot comes in from outside the box and hits his arm. Who knows what he was supposed to do?

Penalty. Tam McManus gets sent off in the process for lashing out at Dallas

Opponents... You guessed it. The former Rangers.

JimBHibees
22-01-2016, 11:14 AM
Hugh Dallas gave the worst penalty award I've seen.

Boxing day 2002. Ully Laursen on the ground in a push up position inside the box, in the process of getting up off the ground.

Shot comes in from outside the box and hits his arm. Who knows what he was supposed to do?

Penalty. Tam McManus gets sent off in the process for lashing out at Dallas

Opponents... You guessed it. The former Rangers.

That was Mike McCurry another appalling ref who absolutely done Hibs over on many occasions.

Just Jimmy
22-01-2016, 11:17 AM
That was Mike McCurry another appalling ref who absolutely done Hibs over on many occasions.

No it was Hugh Dallas.

JimBHibees
22-01-2016, 11:19 AM
No it was Hugh Dallas.

No it wasnt. :greengrin

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/scottish-premier/3019412/Laursens-red-card-appeal-rejected.html

zlatan
22-01-2016, 11:25 AM

McCurry was binned not long after Levein called him out for a sham of a performance at Ibrox (shock horror)

I'm sure Alan Freeman never refereed another top flight match again after an absolutely disgraceful performance at Easter Road against Falkirk (maybe Dundee). He turned it into a poisonous atmosphere when it had been a fairly tame game.

brog
22-01-2016, 11:31 AM
That was a tough one to take.I was gutted.

Yep, me 2, I watched it in the William Wallace in London, about 40 Hibees & 3 lost Yams there, actually all good guys. I was sick to my stomach & have watched very few games uptown since.
Separately, players used to tell me Willie Young was a decent ref in that he chatted with them rather than down to them as so many seem to do nowadays. Willie's main problem however was he was totally unfit, was never up with play & as a result made too many wrong or non decisions.
Anyone remember our 3-4 game vs the Old Rangers in our relegation season? We were 3-1 up & the ref, Bobby Tait, awarded them a soft free kick just in our half. Tait actually ran for the loose ball & kicked it to an oppo player who, without stopping the ball passed it on while we were still appealing the award. A few seconds later, Gazza, I think, scored. It's the only time in my life I've seen a ref start a move for a goal. That game also blew our season apart. At that time we'd played 7, W3, D3 & L1, to them (on the day the Peoples Princess died!). We won 1 game out of our next 20!

brog
22-01-2016, 11:37 AM
From a Newco website re Bobby Tait! Same season I referred to in my earlier post. There's incompetence & there's corruption, only in Scotland can we embrace both!

do
older bears remember Bobby Tait?

Now those who do remember bobby will know he is a Rangers man through and through, bobby was due
to retire at the end of the 1998 season, as we know this was our supposed 10inar season.

I met bobby at a sportsman dinner which he was speaking at and he told me he had asked for his last game
to Rangers at Ibrox, bobby got his wish and he was given our last home game of the season against killie.

Argylehibby
22-01-2016, 11:38 AM
McCurry was binned not long after Levein called him out for a sham of a performance at Ibrox (shock horror)

I'm sure Alan Freeman never refereed another top flight match again after an absolutely disgraceful performance at Easter Road against Falkirk (maybe Dundee). He turned it into a poisonous atmosphere when it had been a fairly tame game.

Was it not after a league cup final where he did everything but put on a jersey and play up front for them?

Young was the ref that gave Hearts a penalty after 2 minutes of the scottish cup final against Rangers for a foul committed a foot outside the box. (admittedly it was much closer than Thomson's) He then turned down a Rangers penalty in the last minute for a foul a yard inside the box, awarding them a freekick on the edge of the box instead.

Smartie
22-01-2016, 11:39 AM
Yep, me 2, I watched it in the William Wallace in London, about 40 Hibees & 3 lost Yams there, actually all good guys. I was sick to my stomach & have watched very few games uptown since.
Separately, players used to tell me Willie Young was a decent ref in that he chatted with them rather than down to them as so many seem to do nowadays. Willie's main problem however was he was totally unfit, was never up with play & as a result made too many wrong or non decisions.
Anyone remember our 3-4 game vs the Old Rangers in our relegation season? We were 3-1 up & the ref, Bobby Tait, awarded them a soft free kick just in our half. Tait actually ran for the loose ball & kicked it to an oppo player who, without stopping the ball passed it on while we were still appealing the award. A few seconds later, Gazza, I think, scored. It's the only time in my life I've seen a ref start a move for a goal. That game also blew our season apart. At that time we'd played 7, W3, D3 & L1, to them (on the day the Peoples Princess died!). We won 1 game out of our next 20!

I liked Willie Young and thought he was an excellent ref.

It's interesting what you say about him because the thing I liked best about him was that he let the game flow and only stopped play and clamped down when he had to.

I can't stand fussy officials who demand centre-stage by blowing for the tiniest indiscretions and make the whole show about them.

The most important thing is consistency though, as long as a ref is equally fussy or unfussy to both teams then it works.

superfurryhibby
22-01-2016, 11:41 AM

I think Dallus alluded to Wille Young being less of a prime physical specimen during the interview. You've jogged the memory about the 3-4 game. the ref should have been credited with an assist, astonishing.

Great thread here. Enjoying the trip down memory lane and marvelling at the power of memory in some of the recollections.

Thecat23
22-01-2016, 11:43 AM
Two of the biggest roasters back in the day. Had the chance to listen to them at speaker dinners. I'd rather set fire to my face and put the flames out with a golf shoe than hear anything they have to say.

They can **** right off to the Masons lodge and never come out as far as I'm concerned.

ACLeith
22-01-2016, 11:46 AM

It was Falkirk and your assessment of his performance is spot on! Liam Craig as an unused Falkirk sub, got sucked into an incident and was red-carded without making an appearance. Arguably the worst ref performance I have seen.

overdrive
22-01-2016, 11:51 AM
I listened to it and TBH thought the same, if they're going to use a game like that to get "one back" it makes you wonder how seriously refs take their position especially after last weeks wrong penalty decision .

They really don't. I did some of my accountancy exams with a guy who at the time was refereeing matches in the Junior Leagues as well as whatever incarnation of the SPL U21/U19, etc. league was at the time. He told us he would regularly blow the whistle a few minutes early in Junior matches so he could get home quicker if he was going out that night.

The same guy is now a linesman in the SPFL (we've had him a number of times).

overdrive
22-01-2016, 11:55 AM
It was Falkirk and your assessment of his performance is spot on! Liam Craig as an unused Falkirk sub, got sucked into an incident and was red-carded without making an appearance. Arguably the worst ref performance I have seen.

He sent a number of players off (for both sides) in that match. He also booked a Falkirk player twice but forgot to send him off. It took the Hibs bench to point out his error!

Smartie
22-01-2016, 12:01 PM

It was unarguably, far and away the worst ref performance I've ever seen.

zlatan
22-01-2016, 12:09 PM
It was unarguably, far and away the worst ref performance I've ever seen.

Yup, forget what you think about Craig Thomson this was the pits. Didn't realise it was Liam Craig that was sent off for arguing with a fan.

Just Jimmy
22-01-2016, 12:11 PM
No it wasnt. :greengrin

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/scottish-premier/3019412/Laursens-red-card-appeal-rejected.html

Well there you go then. Apologies Sir. Apologies should probably also go to Mr Dallas who I have lothed all these years for that game [emoji23]

Just Jimmy
22-01-2016, 12:15 PM
Who was the clown that gave Hibs a corner at Ibrox when Konterman punched the ball over the bar?

Some of the decisions are so ridiculous there are actually no words.

LaMotta
22-01-2016, 12:33 PM

It's interesting what you say about him because the thing I liked best about him was that he let the game flow and only stopped play and clamped down when he had to.

I can't stand fussy officials who demand centre-stage by blowing for the tiniest indiscretions and make the whole show about them.

The most important thing is consistency though, as long as a ref is equally fussy or unfussy to both teams then it works.

Agreed - and he reffed the 3 nil millennium derby, where he had a really good game, so quite liked him after that.

Never thought so much of Hugh Dallas - remember him denying us stonewall penalties at times ( eg Dundee at Dens we won 4-3, Kenny Miller last min winner). But he did ref the 6-2 game!

PISTOL1875
22-01-2016, 12:40 PM
It is common practice that when refs are going to retire they always get to ref the team they supported as a boy in their last game..

Bobby tait - Rangers

Hugh Dallas - Motherwell

Also , the guy who reffed the recent fixture v QOTS was perhaps a Hibby.. can't recall his name..

greenlex
22-01-2016, 12:45 PM
No, Dallas had added the right amount of added time it was just very apt that WY was fourth official having to display the board after park head.

That's certainly not how it came across.

bigwheel
22-01-2016, 12:54 PM
It is common practice that when refs are going to retire they always get to ref the team they supported as a boy in their last game..

Bobby tait - Rangers

Hugh Dallas - Motherwell

Also , the guy who reffed the recent fixture v QOTS was perhaps a Hibby.. can't recall his name..

Willie Young was a big Rangers man - not sure what's his last game was - but definitely a bluenose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sylar
22-01-2016, 01:20 PM
Two of the biggest roasters back in the day. Had the chance to listen to them at speaker dinners. I'd rather set fire to my face and put the flames out with a golf shoe than hear anything they have to say.

They can **** right off to the Masons lodge and never come out as far as I'm concerned.

Not a fan then? :greengrin

John Rowbotham is a funny guy for an after-dinner speaker if you're ever looking for a ref that wasn't a complete plum!

Thecat23
22-01-2016, 01:33 PM

John Rowbotham is a funny guy for an after-dinner speaker if you're ever looking for a ref that wasn't a complete plum!

Heard he's very good, but no I'm not a fan of the other two 😂

The_Sauz
22-01-2016, 01:44 PM
No it was Hugh Dallas.

I think it was Dallas who sent off Paco Luna at ER for a second booking :agree:
PL was booked in the first half for a dive, and in the second half, he had a downward header that bounced on the line and into the roof of the net! The linesman gave the goal, but Barry the Crab moaned to Dallas that PL had used his hand! So in accordance to the Old Firm rule book, Dallas disallowed the gaol, then sent Luna off for his second bookable offence. :agree:

patlowe
22-01-2016, 02:00 PM
Dallas' comments re not wanting to send off Mahe in the season following the infamous OF match are very revealing. While I think his reaction was somewhat understandable, it suggests to me that Scottish football is not an environment conducive to objective decision making by those officiating matches.

matty_f
22-01-2016, 02:07 PM
PL was booked in the first half for a dive, and in the second half, he had a downward header that bounced on the line and into the roof of the net! The linesman gave the goal, but Barry the Crab moaned to Dallas that PL had used his hand! So in accordance to the Old Firm rule book, Dallas disallowed the gaol, then sent Luna off for his second bookable offence. :agree:

I think that moment was the closest I've ever been to going on the pitch in a rage :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
22-01-2016, 02:16 PM
Dallas' comments re not wanting to send off Mahe in the season following the infamous OF match are very revealing. While I think his reaction was somewhat understandable, it suggests to me that Scottish football is not an environment conducive to objective decision making by those officiating matches.

It'll be like that everywhere. The important thing is he did send him off.

Dashing Bob S
22-01-2016, 02:17 PM

Best on tweet on this subject. Both those guys are awful, and Dallas in particular is a snidey disgrace. See the Paco Luna incident as mentioned on this thread as the measure of the man.

I hate the tendency the media has to resuscitate bigots and cheats, dressing them up as convivial jokers once they they are outside of the context for their pathetic anti-sport, anti-life behaviour.

Monts
22-01-2016, 02:20 PM
It was a handball though, no?

Smartie
22-01-2016, 02:27 PM

Refs are human beings though.

It is naive in the extreme to expect them not to be affected by managers comments, roars from crowds, relationships (good and bad) with players and clubs.

The best refs we could probably have would be ones fresh off a plane from Malta, totally oblivious to the context of the match and totally unmoved and unaffected by the consequences of the decisions they make.

It was perfect the one time we got that.

patlowe
22-01-2016, 02:43 PM

Aye, but only after double-checking that it was a 'really hard kick', or something similar :greengrin

superfurryhibby
22-01-2016, 03:03 PM
It was a handball though, no?

Let's not let the facts get in the way of a hate fest:greengrin

brog
22-01-2016, 03:07 PM
I took my ref's badge in England & was coached by the equivalent of an EPL ref today. He gave me 2 great pieces of advice; 1) When there's a major decision to be made count to 3 in your head before awarding, no one will worry about a minor delay if you get the decision right. 2) If in doubt look at the body language of the players, their natural reaction will often correctly guide you.
If anyone is coaching the above to our refs then its obviously going straight over their heads as #1 is my pet bugbear, refs pulling out red cards almost instantaneously. John Beaton also can't believe in #2 as Will Vaulks immediately held his head in his hand after the non pen tackle last week.

silverhibee
22-01-2016, 03:13 PM
That's shocking if true, and very very unprofessional.

Is anyone really surprised though? :rolleyes:

£100k for each minute to the 4th offical from some German dude on the sideline. :greengrin

Pete
22-01-2016, 03:20 PM
I took my ref's badge in England & was coached by the equivalent of an EPL ref today. He gave me 2 great pieces of advice; 1) When there's a major decision to be made count to 3 in your head before awarding, no one will worry about a minor delay if you get the decision right. 2) If in doubt look at the body language of the players, their natural reaction will often correctly guide you.
If anyone is coaching the above to our refs then its obviously going straight over their heads as #1 is my pet bugbear, refs pulling out red cards almost instantaneously. John Beaton also can't believe in #2 as Will Vaulks immediately held his head in his hand after the non pen tackle last week.

There's a #3 in Scotland.

Count to three in your head and consider if this decision will have an effect on a big Glasgow club. Do you really want the Scottish game ruined, social unrest or your windows caved in?

ACLeith
22-01-2016, 03:21 PM
Refs are human beings though.

It is naive in the extreme to expect them not to be affected by managers comments, roars from crowds, relationships (good and bad) with players and clubs.

The best refs we could probably have would be ones fresh off a plane from Malta, totally oblivious to the context of the match and totally unmoved and unaffected by the consequences of the decisions they make.

It was perfect the one time we got that.

Agreed long live the Maltesers! When they appeared that day my son booed them, when I asked him why he said "just to make them feel at home" 😈

silverhibee
22-01-2016, 03:31 PM

You think Craig Thomson is a good ref :confused:

Young Dallas and that era had good banter with players during games, they gave out as good as they got from players, things have changed where most refs think the game is about them and they act like school teachers shouting someone down, I'm right your wrong attitude.

But that is what makes football, refereeing in every game there is always something to talk about after the game, was it a red or not, the ref got it wrong, was it a penalty, that is the banter in the pub after the game, talking about these incidents over 30 vodkas :greengrin now they are talking about bringing in TV evidence to clear the decision up in a minute during the game, that's not for me, some refs are just poor, others make genuine mistakes and don't call the right decision, I want to talk about that after the game rather than Sky/BT showing me the right decision and no one to argue with in the pub. :greengrin

silverhibee
22-01-2016, 03:39 PM

:agree:

And he would normally have a good go at the player for not getting on with things while he ran away from the incident with hands out expressing carry on to the rest of the players, seemed to enjoy good banter with players on the pitch.

ekhibee
22-01-2016, 04:08 PM

Freeman was the worst performance by some way IMO. I remember he booked a player who he'd already booked and didn't send him off (it might have been Steven O'Donnell). Seemingly he actually asked the player at the time: "Have I already booked you?" To which the player said No.

Slim Shady
22-01-2016, 04:39 PM

Bobby tait - Rangers

Hugh Dallas - Motherwell

Brian Colvin........... But he's a big Yam

Danderhall Hibs
22-01-2016, 04:57 PM
Brian Colvin........... But he's a big Yam

I thought they got to pick their last match?

kevinc
22-01-2016, 10:28 PM
Freeman was the worst performance by some way IMO. I remember he booked a player who he'd already booked and didn't send him off (it might have been Steven O'Donnell). Seemingly he actually asked the player at the time: "Have I already booked you?" To which the player said No.
Alan Freeland, worst I've seen.

givescotlandfreedom
22-01-2016, 11:54 PM
Anyone remember our 3-4 game vs the Old Rangers in our relegation season? We were 3-1 up & the ref, Bobby Tait, awarded them a soft free kick just in our half. Tait actually ran for the loose ball & kicked it to an oppo player who, without stopping the ball passed it on while we were still appealing the award. A few seconds later, Gazza, I think, scored. It's the only time in my life I've seen a ref start a move for a goal.

Slight thread hijack but didn't John Beaton, who made a mess of our game last week, give Falkirk possession for the winning goal in the cup semi last year?

Kato
23-01-2016, 12:33 AM
Let's not let the facts get in the way of a hate fest:greengrin

It did go in off his hand but he headered it onto his hand. Never deliberate. I saw Dallas outside the mian stand that day. Every second Rangers fan seemed to know him. Was fuming at that decision. Scottish Cup wasn't it?

JimBHibees
23-01-2016, 08:06 AM

Bobby tait - Rangers

Hugh Dallas - Motherwell

What a totally unprofessional practice that is though. Ironically Tait reffed a Gers Killie game as his last match at Ibrox and added on 6 mins of injury time only for Killie to score the winner.

JimBHibees
23-01-2016, 08:11 AM
Who was the clown that gave Hibs a corner at Ibrox when Konterman punched the ball over the bar?

Some of the decisions are so ridiculous there are actually no words.

The bold Rev McCurry again. :greengrin

Carheenlea
23-01-2016, 08:17 AM
I listend to the show yesterday and enjoyed it a lot. Whilst Sportscene is a tired and dull programme to watch, some of the radio features that BBC Scotland have done as part of sportsound have been pretty decent listening. I'm sure next weeks with Jeffries & Broon will be an entertaining one as well.

Diclonius
23-01-2016, 08:34 AM

Without a shadow of a doubt, McCurry WAS biased toward Rangers. You only had to see that performance at Ibrox against United for proof.

Turned down a United penalty when David Weir effectively physically pulled a United player away from the ball, disallowed a goal for "offside" when the player in question was nowhere near the ball and after Cousin headbutted a United player unprovoked he gave both of them a yellow card. Was watching that game on TV with my United supporting mate and couldn't believe it. Was the most undeniably biased refereeing performance I've ever seen.

Levein was raging and one of the only times I've ever agreed with him. McCurry was a Church of Scotland minister at the time who I'm sure was in the papers for giving a speech about his Church being "the people" or some nonsense.

BoomtownHibees
23-01-2016, 09:21 AM
I listend to the show yesterday and enjoyed it a lot. Whilst Sportscene is a tired and dull programme to watch, some of the radio features that BBC Scotland have done as part of sportsound have been pretty decent listening. I'm sure next weeks with Jeffries & Broon will be an entertaining one as well.

Can't wait

Danderhall Hibs
23-01-2016, 10:10 AM

They played a clip/outtake the other week where they were having a pop at Neilson for being a sneaky ******* and stealing Locke's job.

Smartie
23-01-2016, 10:25 AM
There was a great series the summer before last where Chick Young interviewed all of the living former Scotland managers.

When they put their minds to it they can make some fantastic programmes.

I loved it about 10 years or so ago when you got decent commentators and lots of commentary matches.

Open all mics and much of their misinformed drivel these days is an insult to the likes of Bob Crampsey, David Begg, Alistair Alexander and all those who used to make listening to Scottish football such an enjoyable experience.

stantonhibby
23-01-2016, 11:00 AM
Without a shadow of a doubt, McCurry WAS biased toward Rangers. You only had to see that performance at Ibrox against United for proof.

Turned down a United penalty when David Weir effectively physically pulled a United player away from the ball, disallowed a goal for "offside" when the player in question was nowhere near the ball and after Cousin headbutted a United player unprovoked he gave both of them a yellow card. Was watching that game on TV with my United supporting mate and couldn't believe it. Was the most undeniably biased refereeing performance I've ever seen.

Levein was raging and one of the only times I've ever agreed with him. McCurry was a Church of Scotland minister at the time who I'm sure was in the papers for giving a speech about his Church being "the people" or some nonsense.

Did he not lead his congregation in a rendition of ' simply the best' as well?

matty_f
23-01-2016, 11:52 AM
They played a clip/outtake the other week where they were having a pop at Neilson for being a sneaky ******* and stealing Locke's job.

I heard that. I don't think they've any time for Budge, Harry Potter, or Chewbacca Jnr. The partnerships series has been quite good so far, the McLeish and Miller one was interesting, and I thought the referee one was very enlightening as well - you don't hear much from referees to get their perspective on the games, so it was good to hear it.

Danderhall Hibs
23-01-2016, 12:43 PM
Did he not lead his congregation in a rendition of ' simply the best' as well?

Nah it was the Fields of Athenry.

Danderhall Hibs
23-01-2016, 12:44 PM
I heard that. I don't think they've any time for Budge, Harry Potter, or Chewbacca Jnr. The partnerships series has been quite good so far, the McLeish and Miller one was interesting, and I thought the referee one was very enlightening as well - you don't hear much from referees to get their perspective on the games, so it was good to hear it.

It was fairly clear they thought that Neilson knew exactly what he was doing and stabbed their laddie in the back. As you say they clearly think Levein's a **** - that's a big club they're joining.

NORTHERNHIBBY
23-01-2016, 01:54 PM
Always chuckled at Hugh Bonkle from Dallas.

ACLeith
23-01-2016, 04:33 PM
McCurry was a Church of Scotland minister .

Baptist minister but agree 100% with the rest of your post!

greenlex
08-02-2016, 09:21 AM
Just a wee heads up. This Thursday its Keith Wright and Mickey Weir.

BSEJVT
08-02-2016, 11:04 AM
He sent a number of players off (for both sides) in that match. He also booked a Falkirk player twice but forgot to send him off. It took the Hibs bench to point out his error!

My claim to fame is that it was me that pointed it out to Mark Venus that the guy had been booked twice:greengrin

That was an absolutely unbelievable refereeing performance

It wasn't just that he was bad he was utterly clueless

BSEJVT
08-02-2016, 11:06 AM

Despite the fact I hated him as a referee, he is actually a decent guy

He did one of my SFA coaching courses and was a really sound guy

hibsbollah
08-02-2016, 11:38 AM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/d/dundee_utd/7393800.stm