PDA

View Full Version : Is Stokes Cup Tied?

Hibee87
21-01-2016, 04:05 PM
Sorry if this has been raised and answered but is Stokes cup tied for the semi?

I was 100% sure if you are an unused sub for another team it Cup ties you, however a guy at work is adamant this has changed and as long as you didnt enter the field of play you can play for another team :confused:

Hermit Crab
21-01-2016, 04:07 PM

I was 100% sure if you are an unused sub for another team it Cup ties you, however a guy at work is adamant this has changed and as long as you didnt enter the field of play you can play for another team :confused:

Def ok to play in the Scottish but he was a sub in the league cup so unsure if that cup ties him or not. I think you have to play to be cup tied though.

Juice-Terry
21-01-2016, 04:10 PM
Most people are now saying that being am unused sub doesn't cup tie a player.

Stevie Reid
21-01-2016, 04:19 PM
Someone copied and pasted the rule on here the other day, and it was 100% that being an unused sub doesn't cup tie you. I believe Kenny Millar from The Sun also gave the same answer when asked on Twitter.

Stevie Reid
21-01-2016, 04:22 PM
Green Man posted this: -

7.2. No Club shall play, or list as a named substitute, any Player who, in the same Season, has already played in a League Cup Match by entering the field of play whether in the starting eleven or by being used as a substitute by another Club in the competition.

And Callum Laidlaw posted this: -

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160118/fbb7a0073e67e905bb0649af81ab5225.jpg

we are hibs
21-01-2016, 04:23 PM
boy from STV posted on twitter on sunday night that the SFA confirmed he isn't cup tied for any competitions.

Hibee87
21-01-2016, 04:24 PM
Thanks guysm so seems I was wrong.

I was sure a lowish team were kicked out a cup for just naming a substiute on the bench who had been a named sub at another team, but didnt actually play for either

iwasthere1972
21-01-2016, 04:25 PM

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?306173-Anthony-Stokes&p=4551988&viewfull=1#post4551988

JimBHibees
21-01-2016, 04:27 PM
Someone copied and pasted the rule on here the other day, and it was 100% that being an unused sub doesn't cup tie you. I believeKenny Millar from The Sun also gave the same answer when asked on Twitter.

Kenny had indicated he had specifically checked with the SPFL and was told he wasnt cup tied for either cup.

CallumLaidlaw
21-01-2016, 04:28 PM

I was sure a lowish team were kicked out a cup for just naming a substiute on the bench who had been a named sub at another team, but didnt actually play for either

Maybe that was in the scottish cup. Rules are different for the 2 competitions it seems

Stevie Reid
21-01-2016, 04:33 PM

In recent years (in the Scottish Cup), Dunfermline had to replay a match that they'd won (7-1) for fielding Callum Booth when he was suspended.

The most ridiculous one was Spartans, who fielded a player in the game whose contract had only been signed once, and were kicked out.

Spike Mandela
21-01-2016, 04:38 PM
In recent years, Dunfermline had to replay a match that they'd won (7-1) for fielding Callum Booth when he was suspended.

The most ridiculous one was Spartans, who fielded a player in the game whose contract had only been signed once.
Spartans got hammered.

Rangers on the other hand improperly registered dozens of players over several seasons and gave them side letters for their EBT's which weren't disclosed to the authorities but that's ok.

bob12345
21-01-2016, 05:34 PM
In recent years (in the Scottish Cup), Dunfermline had to replay a match that they'd won (7-1) for fielding Callum Booth when he was suspended.

The most ridiculous one was Spartans, who fielded a player in the game whose contract had only been signed once, and were kicked out.

I think the Spartans one was because they were transferring a player between their teams internally and forgot to re-register?

Stevie Reid
21-01-2016, 05:37 PM
I think the Spartans one was because they were transferring a player between their teams internally and forgot to re-register?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/15672375

SouthMoroccoStu
21-01-2016, 06:02 PM

And hearts got off Scot free

scoopyboy
21-01-2016, 07:18 PM

I'm no surprised Dunfermline had to replay the tie, Callum Booth was never signed for them even on loan. :na na:

iwasthere1972
21-01-2016, 07:29 PM
I'm no surprised Dunfermline had to replay the tie, Callum Booth was never signed for them even on loan. :na na:

:greengrin

Stevie Reid
21-01-2016, 07:54 PM

Haha, sorry - Callum Woods :greengrin

portycabbage
21-01-2016, 10:23 PM
Good news about Stokes being eligible for both cups. I think the rules on cup-tied players are different in the Scottish Cup and League Cup (so Stokes would be cup tied if he'd been an unused sub for Celtc in the Scottish, but because it's the League cup, it's ok!)-

Scottish Cup:

"... a club may not play, or list as a named substitute, any player who, in the same season, has already played, or been a named substitute, for another club in the Competition."
CUP COMPETITION RULES - Scottish Football Association (http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjU5Nj49LvKAhVLthQKHe8-DboQFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.scottishfa.co.uk%2Fresources% 2Fdocuments%2FSFAPublications%2FSFAHandbook%2F12%2 520CupCompRules.pdf&usg=AFQjCNE4-ijKfiilN-d40u4QG9QX5ugVKg)

League Cup:

"No Club shall play, or list as a named substitute, any Player who, in the same Season, has already played in a League Cup Match by entering the field of play whether in the starting eleven or by being used as a substitute by another Club in the Competition. "
SPFL RULES AND REGULATIONS (http://spfl.co.uk/docs/067_324__therulesofthescottishprofessionalfootball leagueasat1december2015_1450456828.pdf)

Forza Fred
21-01-2016, 10:50 PM
Good news about Stokes being eligible for both cups. I think the rules on cup-tied players are different in the Scottish Cup and League Cup (so Stokes would be cup tied if he'd been an unused sub for Celtc in the Scottish, but because it's the League cup, it's ok!)-

Scottish Cup:

"... a club may not play, or list as a named substitute, any player who, in the same season, has already played, or been a named substitute, for another club in the Competition."
CUP COMPETITION RULES - Scottish Football Association (http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjU5Nj49LvKAhVLthQKHe8-DboQFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.scottishfa.co.uk%2Fresources% 2Fdocuments%2FSFAPublications%2FSFAHandbook%2F12%2 520CupCompRules.pdf&usg=AFQjCNE4-ijKfiilN-d40u4QG9QX5ugVKg)

League Cup:

"No Club shall play, or list as a named substitute, any Player who, in the same Season, has already played in a League Cup Match by entering the field of play whether in the starting eleven or by being used as a substitute by another Club in the Competition. "
SPFL RULES AND REGULATIONS (http://spfl.co.uk/docs/067_324__therulesofthescottishprofessionalfootball leagueasat1december2015_1450456828.pdf)

Why on earth the rules are different Dog only knows!

HoboHarry
21-01-2016, 10:59 PM
Why on earth the rules are different Dog only knows!
The rules on being Cup Tied are antiquated in my opinion and should have been done away with when the transfer windows came into being. Having been sold, the player and the buying club are being punished and I doubt this rule would withstand a legal challenge.......

portycabbage
21-01-2016, 11:34 PM
The rules on being Cup Tied are antiquated in my opinion and should have been done away with when the transfer windows came into being. Having been sold, the player and the buying club are being punished and I doubt this rule would withstand a legal challenge.......

I've never been sure what the point of the rules was in the first place, and why playing for two teams in the same competition should be any different in cups or leagues.

SonOfDavidFrancey
22-01-2016, 07:44 AM
I've never been sure what the point of the rules was in the first place, and why playing for two teams in the same competition should be any different in cups or leagues.
I always thought it was something to do with teams who got to the final or semifinal not being able to stuff their team full of new purchases. But who knows. Poster who said it's irrelevant now that transfer window exists is spot on.

Onion
22-01-2016, 08:07 AM
Confirmed in press this am he's free to play in both, just not against Celtic. Greatly improves our chances against St J 👍

Hermit Crab
22-01-2016, 09:24 AM
Confirmed in press this am he's free to play in both, just not against Celtic. Greatly improves our chances against St J 

Especially if they sell O'Halleron in this window. :agree:

Cod Boy
22-01-2016, 09:51 AM
Especially if they sell O'Halleron in this window. :agree:

He could still play and then sell him.

Hermit Crab
22-01-2016, 09:56 AM
He could still play and then sell him.

They wouldn't have long to complete any deal. I doubt they will anyway, not with a semi final coming up. They need his goals as they are struggling just now, ST J have failed to score in their last 6 or 7 games.