PDA

View Full Version : Places hibs used to train before EM

Zazu62
21-01-2016, 12:25 PM
Where did hibs train before we built the training centre?

stantonhibby
21-01-2016, 12:29 PM
Where did hibs train before we built the training centre?

Playing fields at Wardie would be one place used I think.

Aldo
21-01-2016, 12:31 PM
Public park at the back of Duddingston Road near Holyrood High school

delthehibee
21-01-2016, 12:32 PM
In 70's playing fields behind Jack kane centre close to whisp.

Mr White
21-01-2016, 12:32 PM
The playing fields that used to be next to royal high primary school, off northfield Broadway. Morrisons is there now, i used to go along and watch occasionally as a young lad in the late 80s.

Tom Hart RIP
21-01-2016, 12:35 PM
The pitches at the back of police hq at fettes for a few months

Thecat23
21-01-2016, 12:37 PM
Mind they trained down double hedges as well when Archie Lovell was here and wee Russell.

Hibs Class
21-01-2016, 12:38 PM
Think we also used Dunfermline College of PE down in Cramond before it was closed and houses built on the fields.

alhibby
21-01-2016, 12:41 PM
Watched them a good few times in Hall 2 at Meadowbank

Bayern Bru
21-01-2016, 12:45 PM
Occasionally Holyrood and Inverleith.

Dalianwanda
21-01-2016, 12:46 PM
Did they train down at Pinkie now and again?

Greencore
21-01-2016, 12:47 PM
Remember seeing hibs train as a wee boy at double hedges, asked McLeish who his favourite wwf wrestler was 😂; Also when hibs trained next to holyrood high school, had a snowball fight with the team around 15 of us and Tony Mowbray told us to piss off and went to the head teachers office lol....

By the way mcleishs favourite wrestler was Kane.

greenginger
21-01-2016, 12:47 PM
They used to hire the B B.'s pitch at Letham Park off Ferry Road in the early 80's until the neighbours complained about language !

Bertie Auld, Pat Quinn, John Lambie take a bow :greengrin

hibees 7062
21-01-2016, 12:48 PM
Fettes and Civil Service club . we tried to buy the css before East Mains

JIm
21-01-2016, 12:52 PM
Generally any pitch that was playable by the sounds of it!

KdyHby
21-01-2016, 12:59 PM
Did Roughie's autobiography refer to training in Holyrood Park, and having to hide from the parkies? !

Forza Fred
21-01-2016, 02:00 PM
I remember them traniing down at the pitches at Seafield, attached to Crarigentinny golf course.

In fact Joe Davis forgot his tracksuit pants and I ran up the bus to give it back to him as they were leaving....when I got there he was up the back of the bus having a fag....treu story!

wearethehibs
21-01-2016, 02:00 PM
When I was a wee lad they sometimes trained at the pitches in Liberton. I was once belted in the head with a ball (by mistake) by Barry Lavety, while trying to get Ola Gottskálksson autograph. To which 1 of the players shouted to him "theres no need to hit him, just cause he has the same haircut as you"

Great day haha

overdrive
21-01-2016, 04:57 PM
The pitches at the back of police hq at fettes for a few months

I used to go watch them train there a few times when I had taken my Mum to the Western General for treatment. Must have been c. 2003 under Bobby Williamson (who either wasn't there or would just stand and observe - the Chuckle Brothers did everything it seemed).

WoreTheGreen
21-01-2016, 05:13 PM
Used to train at hawkhill behind the sunblest factoy for younger fans behing Loch Inn .i used to go and watch on school hols

Wilson
21-01-2016, 05:17 PM
On the grounds of Jewel & esk Valley College at Milton Road for a time.

Pretty Boy
21-01-2016, 05:38 PM
If this thread illustrates anything it's that EM was a vital and sensible investment.

We also trained at Peffermill on ocassion in more recent times.

Zazu62
21-01-2016, 05:45 PM
If this thread illustrates anything it's that EM was a vital and sensible investment.

Did we have good teams whilst using public parks?

Mcleish days ?

c31
21-01-2016, 05:49 PM
they use to use Riccarton when McLeish was manager, I even joined in once...

Andy74
21-01-2016, 06:13 PM
Main base from Alex Miller's time onwards was Wardie. Used to watch as a younger chap and played ball boy.

The collection of cars were interesting. You had Archibald in Jags and Rolls Royces. Mickey Weir had a bright yellow wee Nova.

Tam McCourt was groundsman there and he has been connected ever since.

hibee_girl
21-01-2016, 06:20 PM
I remember seeing them training up at the Corn Exchange, must be about 12-13 years ago now

DaveF
21-01-2016, 06:45 PM
In 70's playing fields behind Jack kane centre close to whisp.

I was just a bit too young when Hibs trained at the JKC but my brother used to have an autograph book full of signatures from their time down there.

WoreTheGreen
21-01-2016, 06:50 PM
Auld sent Jackie Mac to fk walk back toER first traing sesh to show who is boss absolute pond life

HibbyDave
21-01-2016, 09:15 PM
Also used St Marks Park in 70's

Famous Fiver
21-01-2016, 09:26 PM
Riordan, O'Connor and co often trained in the Grassmarket later in the evening, allegedly.

Oh, and we picked up Mixu in Holyrood Park when he was training on his own.

madabouthibs
21-01-2016, 09:34 PM
Quarry Holes.
Used to put a stop to our golfing from the top of the hill, so once we'd done a bit of "naming the player" it was over the wall at Drambuie to smash some bottles out the big skip with a 7 iron.

portycabbage
21-01-2016, 09:36 PM
There was an article some time back about Hibs turning up to train at Gullane sand dunes, but hertz were already there! Which seems to point to a dearth of training facilities, but then it appears teams from further afield came there, due to it being the gold standard in "running up things till you puke" training.

NadeAteMyLunch!
21-01-2016, 09:37 PM
When I was a wee lad they sometimes trained at the pitches in Liberton. I was once belted in the head with a ball (by mistake) by Barry Lavety, while trying to get Ola Gottskálksson autograph. To which 1 of the players shouted to him "theres no need to hit him, just cause he has the same haircut as you"

Great day haha

Did Oli drop your pen?[emoji28]

hibby6270
21-01-2016, 09:41 PM
I remember them traniing down at the pitches at Seafield, attached to Crarigentinny golf course.

In fact Joe Davis forgot his tracksuit pants and I ran up the bus to give it back to him as they were leaving....when I got there he was up the back of the bus having a fag....treu story!

Aye. Remember this well. Used to stay in Craigentinny Road and we played football down at Seafield in the late 60s. Over at least 2 or 3 school summer holidays you'd see the first team down at Seafield ahead of the new season.

NadeAteMyLunch!
21-01-2016, 09:41 PM
There was an article some time back about Hibs turning up to train at Gullane sand dunes, but hertz were already there! Which seems to point to a dearth of training facilities, but then it appears teams from further afield came there, due to it being the gold standard in "running up things till you puke" training.

So much has changed since those days. We've built and maintained our own multi million pound training centre and Hearts have, well, stolen from students.

andy1875
21-01-2016, 09:46 PM
I remember when i lived on Porty prom looking out my bedroom window to see the squad training on the beach.

Certain it would have been in the Mowbray days. The one and only time i ever seen it to be fair so not sure if it was a one off or not.

Stax
21-01-2016, 10:48 PM
I remember when i lived on Porty prom looking out my bedroom window to see the squad training on the beach.

Certain it would have been in the Mowbray days. The one and only time i ever seen it to be fair so not sure if it was a one off or not.
I'm sure they used loads of different places, I used to watch them a lot at that time at Wardie and Inverleith. Remember sitting in the van eating my lunch & watching them working on corners at Inverleith. Cue Saturday and we did indeed score one "straight off the training ground" :greengrin

MSK
22-01-2016, 07:11 AM
I was just a bit too young when Hibs trained at the JKC but my brother used to have an autograph book full of signatures from their time down there.Hibs trained at the JKC right up to the 80s, I have a photo in the house of me standing with Craig Paterson, just beside what is now the 3G pitch.

worcesterhibby
22-01-2016, 07:24 AM
They used to hire the B B.'s pitch at Letham Park off Ferry Road in the early 80's until the neighbours complained about language !

I watched them train there a couple of times.

dangermouse
22-01-2016, 08:28 AM
I remember seeing them training up at the Corn Exchange, must be about 12-13 years ago now

JC brought them into the Corn Exchange one Sunday not long before the cup final.

bod
22-01-2016, 10:40 AM
mind seeing them at the meadows when I was a yellow pearl ,it was Gordon Hunter I recognised .
So I took the uniform off & sat on a bench & watched them - no many tickets issued that day

howdenthehibby
22-01-2016, 11:53 AM
I was brought up in portobello in the 60s and 70s and the team were often seen running along the beach , the also used Porty baths.

Andy74
22-01-2016, 11:54 AM
Speaking of training in the meadows - was anyone there when Bayern Munich pulled up and trained there?

I was at school next to it and was having a kick about at lunch time when their coach pulled up and they all emptied out and held a training session.

It was when they were playing Hearts in Europe.

happiehibbie
22-01-2016, 11:58 AM
Civil Service ground in Muirhouse I remember Alex Cropley with his leg all strapped up

PS why not come along and support the strollers when not at ER :)

we have a bar licence all welcome !

jdships
22-01-2016, 11:59 AM
Playing fields at Wardie would be one place used I think.

Yes you are right.
My mothers house overlooked the two pitches at the north end of the field.
The westermost pitch was marked out exactly the same size as the ER pitch !!

archiebald
22-01-2016, 12:21 PM
Morgan playing fields

silverhibee
22-01-2016, 01:35 PM

It certainly illustrates that we needed a new training centre, but hate to say it but EM was the wrong choice, wrong area, far to big for what it was getting used for at the time, in the winter when snowing it has been closed a number of times and players have had to train at ER or a indoor centre, even heavy downpours of rain have seen the players having to go to elsewhere to train.

As already said, Civil Service Club down at the beach was considered but that would never have happened due to it being very close to Muirhouse & Pilton, I know EM is a training centre, but since it has opened we haven't produced a single player through our youth system that we have been able to sell on at a later date that would say EM was paying for it's self, £5m to build and probably another £3m to maintain it since it was open, you could possibly say it's all been down hill since we moved away from the playing fields of Edinburgh to our training centre at EM.

I don't no if EM is used at night times to bring in revenue from local clubs in the area, the astro at EM is not the best mind you, but i travel back and forward to Falkirk at night quite a lot and the floodlights are on at tea time to the back of 9 at night, I believe they rent the pitch out to a number of part time clubs as it is in the central belt and easy for players to get to, a good revenue for them, are Hibs doing anything like this to bring in money to help with the up keep of EM.

Yes we needed a training centre, but, did we need to buy one or could we have went down the yam route and rented and possibly would have saved us a lot of money that could have went towards spending on our squad instead.

EM looks lovely on a nice summer day. :greengrin

happiehibbie
22-01-2016, 01:40 PM
Yes you are right.
My mothers house overlooked the two pitches at the north end of the field.
The westermost pitch was marked out exactly the same size as the ER pitch !!

Wardie was also used

I played for Fountain FC down there Tam Mcourt was the groundsman hence how he ended up at ER

Real Emerald
22-01-2016, 01:50 PM
I was a very very (very) young boy at the beach at Gullane (Yellowcraig maybe) in the summer of well....... a long time ago, and to my surprise the whole Hibs team appeared after training on the sands. I grabbed a bit paper and ran after them and got all the autographs. The ones I remeber were Chris Shevlane, Pat Stanton, Peter Marinello, Peter Cormack and Thomson Allan. Don't know what happened to that peice of parchment :greengrin but I treasured it for years. :thumbsup:

lyonhibs
22-01-2016, 02:21 PM

Nice to know I've trod the same sod as the mighty (or rather, at that time, mediocre) Hibees in my Saturday morning service to the 41st.

Where I once got sent off for swearing twice in 1 game, so I can only assume some of the old "magic" was having its effect.

heretoday
22-01-2016, 03:53 PM
Before EM was built they were training for a while on the Edinburgh Academy playing fields off East Fettes Avenue.

Back in the 60s we came upon a group of Hibs youngsters playing 3-and-in at Inverleith Park. Peter Marinello signed my gymshoe!

Somehow I can't imagine today's professionals kicking around in the park for fun. I could be wrong.

we are hibs
22-01-2016, 10:14 PM
Defo trained at prestonfield pre season under Collins. Can remember seeing makalamby walking down a street in craigmillar.

WWFTWTG
22-01-2016, 11:42 PM
So much has changed since those days. We've built and maintained our own multi million pound training centre and Hearts have, well, stolen from students.

Not to mention stealing poppies, ripping off red cross and other charities, nhs, etc etc......edinburgh's disgrace

Aubenas
22-01-2016, 11:44 PM
As has been said - Dunfermline PE College under Alex Miller (actually down at Cramond despite the name) and under McLeish they used Edinburgh Academy's fields opposite Inverleith Park and Fettes.

Aubenas
22-01-2016, 11:47 PM
Speaking of training in the meadows - was anyone there when Bayern Munich pulled up and trained there?

I was at school next to it and was having a kick about at lunch time when their coach pulled up and they all emptied out and held a training session.

It was when they were playing Hearts in Europe.

Never saw Bayern - too busy trying to get you lot back into the school......:greengrin:agree::thumbsup::wink::cb:r olleyes:

Keith_M
23-01-2016, 08:16 AM
If this is going to turn into an argument over whether East Mains was worth the investment, the answer obviously has to be yes, it was.

Think of how many players, on signing, say that EM was one of the deciding factors in making their decision to put pen to paper.

:greengrin