PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Football draft

Billychaotic182
21-01-2016, 10:15 AM
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35368472

I love the idea of having an NFL style draft with our young players. Will make youth football more competitive.

matty_f
21-01-2016, 11:00 AM

I love the idea of having an NFL style draft with our young players. Will make youth football more competitive.

I like the idea as well, anything that brings competition and improves what we do is welcome. Would be interesting to see it in practice, though.

nellio
21-01-2016, 11:59 AM
Certainly innovative. No harm in giving it a go and see what happens!

Future17
21-01-2016, 12:58 PM
I like the idea of increased competition between clubs and more game time for young players, so will wait and see what the proposals are. However, I envisage a lot of problems, not least of which will be EU employment legislation (assuming we're still in the EU when this kicks in).

Haymaker
21-01-2016, 01:24 PM
Would surely have to be loan moves or why would the big clubs sign up youth to lose them?

Good idea in theory, the problem isn't development per se it is in game time at high level so getting 60 young lads out playing 1st team football ever year guaranteed will be great

leithsansiro
21-01-2016, 03:00 PM
From that article on the BBC, I agree with everything John Hughes says. Completely spot on!

"We need to be coaching technical ability - forget tactics. Every footballer should be double step-overs drag backs left foot right foot, technical right up to they're 12 years old. I don't think it's about elite academies. I don't think it works. Play for Boys' Brigade, play for the boys clubs, play for your school. Do you know why school football's great? Because you never got coached - you just went and enjoyed yourself and played football. Kids getting too much football? You're having a laugh. Should be playing football every night and every day. Whole society's changed. Need to get back to that, need to encourage them."

ancient hibee
21-01-2016, 03:09 PM

How would it make youth football competetive.Surely the proposal is to lend good youth players to poor lower division sides.

snooky
21-01-2016, 03:11 PM
Scottish Football Draft? Do I sense a refreshing Wind of Change here?

ChicagoHibee
21-01-2016, 03:21 PM
I fully endorse this plan. With that said, as an American..........please do not allow Chris Berman the opportunity to present this event (fellow Americans and NFL fans will understand this point).

BoltonHibernian
22-01-2016, 03:32 PM
Think this would be a brilliant idea. They should bring in a salary cap too whilst they're at it. That would make it more competitive at the top.

The_Exile
22-01-2016, 03:38 PM
The reason the NFL draft works is because you've got 32 huge franchises with excellent facilities. Can't imagine producing the next Ryan Gauld or Scott Brown and having to send them to Cliftonhill for a year, what the **** will they learn there? Will they be coached to the same standard if they just stayed at their parent club? Sincerely doubt it, what an utterly utterly ridiculous and stupid idea.

leithsansiro
22-01-2016, 06:01 PM
The reason the NFL draft works is because you've got 32 huge franchises with excellent facilities. Can't imagine producing the next Ryan Gauld or Scott Brown and having to send them to Cliftonhill for a year, what the **** will they learn there? Will they be coached to the same standard if they just stayed at their parent club? Sincerely doubt it, what an utterly utterly ridiculous and stupid idea.

Loads of young guys go on loan at lower league clubs. Think about the impact that going to Cowdenbeath had on Riordan

Andy74
22-01-2016, 06:06 PM
This is nothing like the US draft system but worth looking at anyway.

rabcp1
22-01-2016, 08:46 PM

A lot of young players out on loan in Scotland where georgraphicaly possible still train with there 'parent' clubs. I'm sure Insall for example only trains with East Fife once or twice a week, most off his training time is with Hibs.

If players can mix training between there parent club and loan club and play in competitive games then it's more than worthwhile, players will learn more playing league games at cliftonhill than U20 football.

We need to find a way of helping players transition from youth to first team football and I'd rather see a youth loan draft system tried over something like B teams

Sylar
22-01-2016, 08:53 PM

I agree and disagree with that - the reason the draft system works in the USA is that they have the NCAA University tier that presents a crop of amazing talent every year that professional clubs can draw upon. These kids are trained in the best environments through a progressive hierarchy and it's that, rather than their environment alone that results in their advanced developments. I say this as someone who played sport at a US College during my studies - the facilities are absolutely incredible.

Whilst I like the idea of something similar in the UK, we would need to considerably up where our pool of players are drawn from and how they proceed into the professional clubs. We have sporting facilities/talent at Universities (and even high schools) all over the country. There needs to be a natural progression and development through from earlier systems rather than players being developed IN the professional club.

Not only would the qualification route into professional sport enable longer development time but it would also prepare a lot of these young players for life after their sporting career in the form of a usable qualification/skill set in addition to their sporting pedigree.